Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2011, 11:30   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio EX - TD & First impressions

Interesting move. When 2.2 was launched, 2.6 was retained for quite sometime through the entire Scorpio lineup. Later 2.6 was discontinued and 2.2 was offered across all models. Now again, they bring back a 2.5!

Is Xylo not meeting its targets or do they want to wash down the Scorp before launching w201?

IMO, it might do well in the rural areas.
Old 2nd June 2011, 11:58   #47
BHPian

These cons for me outweigh any potential savings from increased FE:
1. No central locking: Are M&M living under a rock? The largest percentage of stolen vehicles are SUV's, and without an immobilizer or central locking, they're simply making it easier.
2. Underpowered behemoth: How long will it take for an owner to get bored on this scorpio. I'm guessing 200 kms. After the initial honeymoon period of driving a large vehicle lapses, dissatisfied owners will regret their decision.
3. For all its size, the scorpio has limited interior real estate. The seats are not comfortable or spacious enough to warrant the people-mover tag. Think Xylo/Sumo grande, and thats enough to skip this variant altogether.

An M&M UV without security features is an M&M UV that will be stolen. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but wait for the next Assembly elections.

Sriku
Old 2nd June 2011, 12:06   #48
Team-BHP Support

Sriku, the EX does come with an engine immobiliser by default. Central locking can anway be aftermarket, IMO.
Old 3rd June 2011, 11:48   #49
BHPian

115-75 bhp, that is a difference of 30 horses there, well from now on i will be able to overtake scorpios too on highways with my 115 bhp CRDE though of 2005 make.
Great review.
Old 3rd June 2011, 13:13   #50
BHPian

I checked up with the dealer here in Bangalore, the difference is only 50K OTR between EX and LX, just not making sense, nobody will buy this at this price difference, at least in the urban markets. (OTR Bangalore EX is 9 Lakhs & LX is 9.5 Lakhs, approx).
Old 3rd June 2011, 21:52   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
I checked up with the dealer here in Bangalore, the difference is only 50K OTR between EX and LX, just not making sense, nobody will buy this at this price difference, at least in the urban markets. (OTR Bangalore EX is 9 Lakhs & LX is 9.5 Lakhs, approx).
The M2DI and LX M Hawk versions (BS-3) is just Rs. 48600 apart in Kerala. The BS4 EX and the BS4 LX is now Rs. 41700 apart. I think the EX is a BS4 version solely aimed at complying withe the emission norms. The M2DI is targeted at taxi segment, and as office vehicles. So the EX might just slot into the same role.
Old 6th June 2011, 11:56   #52
Team-BHP Support

Update :

i took this vehicle out on a spin once again on the weekend along with fellow TBHPian unni.ak. This time we took it out on an open highway, and used a GPS device to check the speed, as speedo was disconnected.

Vehicle did a top whack of 110kmph (GPS indicated) with a slight downslope. Otherwise, it was relaxed around the 90-100kmph mark, as indicated on the speedo.

In effect, it performs pretty much as the Bolero out on the highway. Low end responsiveness is good.

Checked the tyre specs and noticed it comes with 15 inchers, as against the standard 16 inches on the other Scorpios.
Old 6th June 2011, 13:08   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Sriku, the EX does come with an engine immobiliser by default. Central locking can anway be aftermarket, IMO.
But without central locking how can you trigger the immobilizer? locking of driver door? Normally immobilizer goes to "protection" mode once you lock the vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Update :

Vehicle did a top whack of 110kmph (GPS indicated) with a slight downslope. Otherwise, it was relaxed around the 90-100kmph mark, as indicated on the speedo.

Checked the tyre specs and noticed it comes with 15 inchers, as against the standard 16 inches on the other Scorpios.
So adding correciton figure of ~10 top speed is 120 kmph only. thats bad for a scorpio. With lot of payload this might come down as well.
interesting to know that EX comes with BS tyres, difficult to understand M&M marketing tactics
scorpio fan
Old 6th August 2011, 19:42   #54
BHPian

Hi, congrats on your scorio.
How is your car performing on city roads and highways? I am interested on how your engine is performing?
I have heard that Bolero ZLX (new one) will have the same engine.
Thanks in advance
Old 7th August 2011, 11:26   #55
Team-BHP Support

GrayBerry, not sure whom you were complimenting, because no one on TBHP seems to have bought a Scorpio EX. If it was me, i have bought a Scorpio LX, which comes with the 2.2L MHawk engine.

If you want to try out this engine, please take a TD of the Scorpio EX from Sireesh Motors on Hosur Road. They have a EX for TD purposes.
Old 7th August 2011, 12:14   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_fan View Post
But without central locking how can you trigger the immobilizer? locking of driver door? Normally immobilizer goes to "protection" mode once you lock the vehicle.
Hi,

AFAIK, this is how the immobilizer works: The key should have a RF Transmitter chip. The sensor detects the unique frequency. If it does not match, then usually the Fuel Pump and Ignition system is frozen, immobilizing the engine.

I do not think it has anything to do with central locking.
Old 11th August 2011, 21:33   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Hi,

AFAIK, this is how the immobilizer works: The key should have a RF Transmitter chip. The sensor detects the unique frequency. If it does not match, then usually the Fuel Pump and Ignition system is frozen, immobilizing the engine.

I do not think it has anything to do with central locking.
Hi Dhanushs,
This i am aware, but there is a process of trigerring the so called "protection mode".

When you lock the vehile, the protection mode activates, If some intruder tries to break in to vehicle, engine is immobalized.

When you unlock your vehicle is "un protected"

But as you said, on top of this it also matches the frequency. So in the EX you might be just getting this part [matching the frequency] but not the "protection" feature. This is my understanding.

Regards,
Old 12th February 2014, 12:23   #58
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Old thread new update!

I have booked the Scorpio EX with Kundan Motors, Pune.

Few points on this model:

This is one of their best selling models if the dealer is to be believed. From the time we have booked it, I do see plenty of them with private registration on the road.

Reason being its price, driveability, micro hybrid (which is available only on VLX) and the fact that with just 78K you can make your Scorpio EX 'look' like a Top End Variant, minus the engine of course.

Hence, everybody prefers this vehicle especially in Pune.

I had nearly booked the Bolero ZLX and by a freaky chance got to see this variant. The change in mind was purely due to the fact that this (7 seater) has got acres of space in the middle row as compared to the Bolero.

The other aspects like Central Locking, Power Windows, Music System can be sourced from outside or from the dealer.

The current difference in price between EX and LX is over 1 lakh, which makes this a sensible purchase on compromise of power.

Took a fairly long TD of over 15kms, over different terrain including crossing a stream with a steep incline. The vehicle responds well and has good grunt in the lower range. I found the Bolero more eager to move ahead in 3rd - 4th gear (LOL - yes) as Ben has already put across, it doesn't surge ahead. But this along with the lower spec wheels (15 inchers) has resulted in lesser Swaying (most would understand what I mean)

Other plus point over the Bolero is that it does not come with Leaf Springs.

Two versions available

Ex- 7 Seater and 9 Seater
The 9 seater also has the regular seating configuration but with reduced middle row space and longer benches in the last row.

Cheers!

Last edited by Trojan : 12th February 2014 at 12:24.
Trojan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed