Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2011, 15:11   #1
BHPian

Volkswagen Vento Automatic - Terra Beige**EDIT: CNG kit installed**

So begins the dilemma!!!
Current ride: Honda Civic
Usages: 90% city usages have a daily run from the suburbs to Town of about 40 K.M. (One side)

Dilemma: I have been driving a geared vehicle for over 10 years, my daily commute is about 40 K.M. onside all the way from the suburbs to the main part of town (Read lots of traffic). Over time have been feeling tired of the ever increasing traffic and the strain it was causing, so wanted to change to an automatic transmission for convenience.

Started looking out at the options available, the main criteria for my decision was AT, Fuel efficiency and wanted a smaller car than the current civic I drove (Budget was not a constrain as you can see from the various options under consideration). The limited choices I had was i10, i20 & Scorpio (Yes odd man out). Looked at the specs of both these cars / SUV and also read the loads of information including the long term review and the fuel efficiency reviews. Was not very convinced about the performance and the fuel efficiency of i10 & i20 as they sported a four speed AT gear box. The various test reports also left me thinking. Scorpio was another ballgame altogether did not consider it as thought would be cumbersome for the daily drive.

In came the other 2 options Vento AT and NHV Fluidic AT.
Called up the VW dealership for a test drive one lazy Sunday afternoon and was having the test drive in the evening.

Initial observation: quite a few other threads have mentioned the same so will try to keep it short

Likes: Very neat and well laid out interior, very good finish quality, good AT gear box liked the Tiptronic, Wifey also liked it.

Dislikes: ICE too basic, high center hump on the rear floor.
To begin with was looking more at the comfort factor more rather than performance from the new ride and Vento fitted the bill perfectly. Also generally am not happy with the stock ICE (been living with the stock on civic for the last 4 years as did not have the heart to change it and spoil the OEM look) so the vento’s stock ICE made replacement an easy option i.e. no regrets.

So began the wait thereafter for the New Hyundai Verna Fluidic to launch. Read Zappo’s review (great review) and was disappointed with the AT gear box (again a 4 speed) as was really looking forward to the diesel AT.
So the conclusion Vento AT

Started by booking a White Vento, the sales Rep. suggested to change to Terra Beige saw the same and changed the booking to terra Beige. Now waiting for the delivery most likely this weekend.

Dealer Review: Have found the dealer at VW thane to be good. They were on time for the test drive and resolved all my queries very promptly, would post the final review after delivery.

Things in the horizon:
Change the ICE to something more appealing.
Have procured the 3D mats
Seat covers (thinking between cloth & leather)
CNG conversion (after 5000 KM.)

And so came the D Day - got a call from the dealer that the car was registered, it was June 2nd, wifeys Bday so decided to pouch on the opportunity and forced the dealer to make the car ready for delivery the same day.

Left work early and went to the dealer, But the car was not ready. I was still to be washed, got the SR working and had the car ready in an hour. Completed all the formalities and was ready to take off. Received the customary chocolate box and an idol of Ganesha.

And so finally came the moment started the car and moved out of the showroom. Was instantly blessed by the Rain Gods. The First rain in mumbai came exactly at the same moment i rolled out with my new car. Rain god wanting to bless us.

Initial Drive:
I am starting of my experience with the “Kitna deti hai” cause during my hunt for the car there were 2 major blocks I had in my mind one being the fuel efficiency and second being the maintenance.
The car responds well to in heavy traffic have to understand that this is not a scorcher have driven the car for some 300 K.M. in these 4 days. The car is fun to drive am having a good time enjoying the view around after all these years of driving on the same road never looked around. It’s a breeze to drive. I have a daily run of 80 Km. driving from the suburbs to the main part of the city (Nariman point). Generally start early in the morning and hence have a free run, while return trips are another story.

On the first day my morning run produced a mileage of 19 as per the trip meter, shocked. While the return in full traffic and very heavy rains produced around 11. over all initial observation is if we drive in heavy traffic it has a very high detrimental effect on the FE. On a straight run on constant speeds should be easily able to have a FE of 17 / 18 as per the trip meter, but in Mumbai's heavy traffic also should be able to get around 8/9 in a worst case.

Have completed the first tank and have an overall average of 12.2 as per the cutoff method.

Ride & Handling: Found the ride quality to be good and the car hugs to the road well. The steering is a tad bit too light but helps in the city traffic as one can drive the car with just a finger.

Other: Found the ICE to be very very average, need to change it urgently. Another issue I have observed is that the external rear view mirrors get wet in slightest of rain and droplets form on the same thereby affecting the view greatly shall post pictures shortly.

The color terra beige looks very good and the fit and finish is exceedingly good.

One important point has come to my notice my car does not have leather wrapped steering cover or steel accent on the steering wheel. have raised the issue with the dealer was told that all the cars in the current lot do not have these. The dealer has promised to look into the same and revert.

Have a few questions for the experts on this forum; have been reading up on how to use an automatic transmission. The following puzzles me and hope some experts on this forum can help me.
While stopping in traffic should we keep the car in Drive (D) or should we move it to neutral (N) the following are the scenarios:
1. Stop likely to be less than 10 Sec. (Guess should leave it in D)
2. Stop likely to be between 10 Sec. and 30 Sec
3. Stop likely to be between 30 Sec. and 1 Min
4. Stop likely to be more than a minute (Guess move it to P)

Also the use of N, have ready on various online forums some recommend moving to P while stopping (to reduce stress on engine and transmission) some recommend leaving it in D (as moving the gears regularly between D & N would cause greater wear and tear of the gears and hence it is not recommended).
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento Automatic - Terra Beige**EDIT: CNG kit installed**-1307266167661.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by GTO : 27th June 2011 at 14:59. Reason: Removing FONT tags
nvluv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2011, 17:38   #2
BHPian

re: Volkswagen Vento Automatic - Terra Beige**EDIT: CNG kit installed**

Would like to thank noopster & Jesal who have shared there experiences and helped me in my decision making.
nvluv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2011, 17:41   #3
BHPian

Eagerly waiting for your review.

My BIL is looking for a pre-owned AT sedan. Someone suggested Vento AT is good, but how to get a pre-owned one at a reasonable price so soon!? Anyway, will update him based on your review.

thanks in advance.
Old 30th May 2011, 17:50   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on your selection of the Terra beige Vento. Guess yours would be the first terra beige Vento in this forum ( hopefully ).
Would await your detailed review in the near future!

Cheers!
Old 30th May 2011, 17:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your buy, you can refer to posts by noopster who is a Vento AT owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Congratulations on your selection of the Terra beige Vento. Guess yours would be the first terra beige Vento in this forum ( hopefully ).

Cheers!
Dude, I have been waiting for your buying decision and review post that ! When is that happening ?

Last edited by Stratos : 1st June 2011 at 11:37.
Old 30th May 2011, 18:07   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats nvluv and glad that I could help you in your decision-making! BTW you have *my* car . I booked a Terra Beige AT and only changed my preference to white in Jan when they told me I'd have to wait another 4 months for that colour to make an appearance.

Anyway, that's history- I love my candy white fraulein now, as you're aware . You need to post pics and a comprehensive report over here before the mods close this thread down, dude!
Old 30th May 2011, 18:26   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
Eagerly waiting for your review.

My BIL is looking for a pre-owned AT sedan. Someone suggested Vento AT is good, but how to get a pre-owned one at a reasonable price so soon!? Anyway, will update him based on your review.

thanks in advance.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Dude, I have been waiting for your buying decision and review post that ! When is that happening ?
Thanks Souravc, should have the delivery before the end of the week started the registration posses today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Congrats nvluv and glad that I could help you in your decision-making! BTW you have *my* car . I booked a Terra Beige AT and only changed my preference to white in Jan when they told me I'd have to wait another 4 months for that colour to make an appearance.

Anyway, that's history- I love my candy white fraulein now, as you're aware . You need to post pics and a comprehensive report over here before the mods close this thread down, dude!
Hi noopster; well all i can say is that the world is round, i changed mine from white to Terra Beige. I was all convinced to go for white but the SR called me and asked me to have a look at the Terra Beige which he had in stock.
Hoping to have the delivery be the end of this week so should have a detailed ownership report and pics shortly. I am sure the mods will bear with me for a week or two.
Just to add have got an estimate for the ICE change, have been recommended a pioneer by my ICE man.
Old 16th June 2011, 13:41   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Moved from the Assembly Line to the Testdrives Forum. Thanks for sharing Nvluv, and do drive safe.

I've merged your review content post with the opening.
Old 16th June 2011, 13:54   #9
BHPian

Congrats on the great buy!

BTW, why didn't you consider the ANHC AT?
Old 16th June 2011, 13:59   #10
dot
Senior - BHPian

Congratulation @nvluv. the Terra beige looks great on a Vento.

The Vento AT drives really well; it has a planted feel, growling engine coupled with a fast and busy gearbox generates a serious oomph factor. The TD was on @noopster's Vento AT. Had lot of fun that day driving the car on twisties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvluv View Post
While stopping in traffic should we keep the car in Drive (D) or should we move it to neutral (N) the following are the scenarios:
1. Stop likely to be less than 10 Sec. (Guess should leave it in D)
2. Stop likely to be between 10 Sec. and 30 Sec
3. Stop likely to be between 30 Sec. and 1 Min
4. Stop likely to be more than a minute (Guess move it to P)

Also the use of N, have ready on various online forums some recommend moving to P while stopping (to reduce stress on engine and transmission) some recommend leaving it in D (as moving the gears regularly between D & N would cause greater wear and tear of the gears and hence it is not recommended).

If I can suggest,
For scenario 1: one can leave the lever on D and use foot brake.
For scenario 2, 3 and 4: one can move it to N and use hand brakes.

These things are designed and engineered for millions of operations. Wont go bad in a hurry.

Quote:
(been living with the stock on civic for the last 4 years as did not have the heart to change it and spoil the OEM look) so the vento’s stock ICE made replacement an easy option i.e. no regrets.
Very true, this is why I am not thinking of changing my Civic's HU at all. The OEM look is the centrepiece of Civic's dash. However one can change Vento's HU to something like what @Subodh has done and make the whole thing look even better.

Last edited by dot : 16th June 2011 at 14:04.
Old 16th June 2011, 14:04   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

@pamishra- The Vento is cheaper, has one more cog in the gearbox, excellent build quality and automatic climate control. And some people prefer its understated looks to the AHNC's flashiness. But am sure Nvluv will explain which reason he preferred!

Edit: I agree with dot. Moving to P at traffic stops is not a good idea. please use that ONLY when parking the car. Also remember to bring the car to a complete standstill before engaging P.

Last edited by noopster : 16th June 2011 at 14:05.
Old 16th June 2011, 14:09   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your VW Vento. It is indeed a very good car.

Do add some more pictures of your ride including interiors and engine bay.

@pamishra, many people are afraid of Honda City's GC (which actually isn’t a big issue, hype in fact), in addition some people prefer simplicity in a car's design which is not the case with Honda City due to its stylish looks.
Old 16th June 2011, 14:18   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamishra View Post
Congrats on the great buy!

BTW, why didn't you consider the ANHC AT?
Thanks actually have a Manual ANHC, am apprehensive for the low ground clearance. hence was looking for some thing different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Congratulation @nvluv. the Terra beige looks great on a Vento.

The Vento AT drives really well; it has a planted feel, growling engine coupled with a fast and busy gearbox generates a serious oomph factor. The TD was on @noopster's Vento AT. Had lot of fun that day driving the car on twisties.

If I can suggest,
For scenario 1: one can leave the lever on D and use foot brake.
For scenario 2, 3 and 4: one can move it to N and use hand brakes.

These things are designed and engineered for millions of operations. Wont go bad in a hurry.

Very true, this is why I am not thinking of changing my Civic's HU at all. The OEM look is the centrepiece of Civic's dash. However one can change Vento's HU to something like what @Subodh has done and make the whole thing look even better.

Thanks
Old 22nd June 2011, 11:15   #14
BHPian

have started discussion with the vendor on:

"One important point has come to my notice my car does not have leather wrapped steering cover or steel accent on the steering wheel. have raised the issue with the dealer was told that all the cars in the current lot do not have these. The dealer has promised to look into the same and revert."

was offered a reverse sensor for free declined the offer as had already installed it.

Have also gone for art leather seat covers from UV sports, shall post more photos over this weekend.

next up is the ICE change, suggestions requested for the same. have gone through the various threads on this forum on ICE change. Have been suggested Pioneer HU (4350) 2 components in the front (JBL / boston), 2 ovals in the rear, a amp to power these and a mono amp to power a woofer. looking at a compact woofer as do not wan to lose space in the trunk as plan to install CNG have an option of TS-WX210A from pioneer.

Last edited by mobike008 : 22nd June 2011 at 13:26. Reason: edited out the font tags
Old 22nd June 2011, 11:45   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
have started discussion with the vendor on:

"One important point has come to my notice my car does not have leather wrapped steering cover or steel accent on the steering wheel. have raised the issue with the dealer was told that all the cars in the current lot do not have these. The dealer has promised to look into the same and revert."

was offered a reverse sensor for free declined the offer as had already installed it.

Have also gone for art leather seat covers from UV sports, shall post more photos over this weekend.

next up is the ICE change, suggestions requested for the same. have gone through the various threads on this forum on ICE change. Have been suggested Pioneer HU (4350) 2 components in the front (JBL / boston), 2 ovals in the rear, a amp to power these and a mono amp to power a woofer. looking at a compact woofer as do not wan to lose space in the trunk as plan to install CNG have an option of TS-WX210A from pioneer.
Very interesting. You plan to do a CNG conversion in an automatic car. I have seen or heard of it. However, its an interesting thought.

I have always thought that cars like CIvic Hybrids were pointless cars in India. Why not get an automatic Civic and get it converted to CNG. It becomes an CNG-Hybrid. I will be following your thread for sure now. Any plans of when you may be going for the CNG conversion?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks