Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2011, 17:53   #16
BHPian

Re: Man on diet is here!! The Maruti SX4 VDi

Completely OT but could you tell me what " Man on diet" means here? And yes. Congratulations on your new "Vaahan"
Old 15th June 2011, 18:05   #17
BHPian

Congratulations on your new car. I have an obvious question for you: "Kitna deti hain "
Old 15th June 2011, 19:47   #18
BHPian

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
First Up, Congratulations Rajat.
Anways, it's time to rejoice, enjoy many a happy miles with your new machine.
Happy Motoring !!
Yes it is the first SX4 D here, will click some photos over the weekend and then post. Ride quality is a bit stiff but I am not complaining because never has the underbody touched on godzilla slowing speed brakers, handling is marginally less sharp than the Swift.
For NVH levels I will soon be posting a video showcasing the difference...this car is well insulated!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Congratulations Rajat on your Maruti SX4. This is probably the first SX4 diesel ownership thread. Please update it with more photos and share us the performance of the car. How is the ride quality? How is the NVH inside and out?
Wishing you many years of happy and safe driving.
May be this is a more of a design constraint than a defect.
And its not actually a rattle, but kind of vibration, will try to make a sound recording and then post here
VFM was my main criteria on choosing a Maruti over other manufacturer, will low cost of ownership
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
.... Its a defective fuel gauge for sure.
Rajat - Congrats on your new car. While Maruti cars are prone to rattling, they are extremely VFM, and I'm sure that you will have many miles of driving pleasure with her. Have a safe ride.
Thanks mac187,
Power - SX4 Wins; 90 bhp with 200 Nm torque and redesigned gear box does the trick
Drive - SX4 wins
Handling - Swift wins; Swift's handling is more crisp, you know where the wheel is rolling, however in SX4 this is missing, sometimes I feel that there is a slight lag on how we move the steering to how the wheels respond
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
Congrats on the Car.
So how does it feel to upgrade from Swift VDI to SX VDI? Power/ drive/ handling etc.
"Man on diet" is SX4 because it guzzels less fuel, sips diesel and workouts more , and thanks for your wishes
Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Completely OT but could you tell me what " Man on diet" means here? And yes. Congratulations on your new "Vaahan"
Thanks mezero, I think you didn't read my first post "achche se" -
"Got the tank topped up today, it gulped 20.29 litres and ran for 332.5 kms, so the effeciency came out to be 16.38 kmpl which is very good considering that the car has just completed about 600 kms, ran mostly in city (Indirapuram - Gurgaon - Indirapuram) with 100% AC, and its more than 1200 kgs in weight"
This was done by using the tank top up method, will post more figures as and when I do tank fulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezereo View Post
Congratulations on your new car. I have an obvious question for you: "Kitna deti hain "
Old 16th June 2011, 23:58   #19
BHPian

Noticed some erratic/unsteady idling, this is happening when the engine has run for quite sometime (temperature is midway), and the AC is on,
what can be the reason?

0:36 - AC was turned off
0:47 - AC turned on again

Old 19th June 2011, 22:37   #20
BHPian

First Free Service Update

Got the car serviced at 973 kms (1000 kms was recommended) because daily running is around 90 kms and week long usage would have exceeded the 1000 kms limit.

Service Center - Motorcraft, Sahibabad Industrial Area
Work Done - Engine Oil Change, 15W40 Mobil 2.9 Litres
Issues Reported -
  • Windscreen washer jets were not aligned properly, the mis-alignment was so much that the water was falling on the roof and then to the rear windscreen
  • Rattling returned yesterday, and the SA mentioned "top grill noise check"
Issues Fixed -
  • Washer jets aligned, but there is some sort of lag between the time you pull the washer lever and when the water is actually sprayed, the sequence is lever pulled-->wipers start wiping-->water is sprayed, this was mentioned as "normal" by the service advisor
  • Rattling was less by 95%, but there was 5% scope left, the noise was similar to when the window glass is loose, but I am kind of satisfied at the moment
Other comments - Clutch has become exceptionally smooth and soft after the service, engine is much more smooth and refined.
Total Cost - Rs. 653

I went to the service center around 8.45 am to avoid the weekend rush and fortunately got 7 number in the service sequence, and 1 for SX4. I had to wait for around 20 minutes since the SA comes around 9 am. No smiling faces here (I was quite surprised), he noted all my issues, took the test drive to understand the rattling, didn't understand, got a technical adviser (never saw such a serious face on a Maruti service center in the past), took the drive, didn't acknowledge to my comments like "a new car at less than 1000 kms should not rattle". A big ZERO on customer service skills to the staff here. Motorcraft's sales guys are light year ahead in this department.

Got a call at around 10.15 am that the car is ready! Quite good here. Actually there is a column in the instant satisfaction survey "was the car delivered on time, before time, delivered late", so I think the extended time mentioned is to always meet the deadline provided

Went around 12.30 pm to pick the car, took the test drive, got stupid answers for the 5% rattling/noise left like "sir this is a diesel car", "sir its the noise of the turbo" etc.
Best part came when I went for billing, the guy who was did the billing just gave a bill and no feedback form, when I asked him about the feedback form that is used for atleast the first three free services, he said "its not required", when I insisted he unwillingly gave me one with proper information printed on it,

I think the dealerships are filling the forms themselves to avoid any issues

Apart from the car service I would mark the service center at 6 which is "unacceptable" as per Maruti standards (only 10 & 9 are considered Excellent and good, respectively)

3C's Rating
Car Service - 9/10
Cost - 10/10
Customer Service - 6/10 [Long faced SAs & over-smart cashier)

OVERALL - 8/10
Old 19th June 2011, 22:59   #21
Team-BHP Support

Re: First Free Service Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatsingh78 View Post
Washer jets aligned, but there is some sort of lag between the time you pull the washer lever and when the water is actually sprayed, the sequence is lever pulled-->wipers start wiping-->water is sprayed, this was mentioned as "normal" by the service advisor
Hey, that's not supposed to happen. Water comes instantaneously once you pull the wiper stalk.

And it is definitely not "normal" for there to be a lag. If you have time, do check it again. And if the SA says it is normal, ask him to prove it on other cars/showroom cars. That's the only way he will address the problem. Else, talk to the manager. A lag doesn't make a difference to anyone's life but it is still not usual. Misaligned jets means something must be wrong at the bonnet end of the jets.
Old 19th June 2011, 23:37   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Noticed some erratic/unsteady idling, this is happening when the engine has run for quite sometime (temperature is midway), and the AC is on,
what can be the reason?

0:36 - AC was turned off
0:47 - AC turned on again

YouTube - ‪Irratic Idling‬‏
Get your car battery checked, i also hear a side indicator on during the video, may be even little bit of load on the engine due to ac, indicators, etc is causing this unsteady idling. try using the power windows during idling and ac on, then see what happens, if similar irregular idling occurs, get the battery checked for accurate voltage. if its MAJOR!? there may be some dust in the distributor. this is wat i checked in my Verna crdi, for a similar problem...
Old 20th June 2011, 00:44   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Ah, there it comes back. I was wondering where did the thread disappear.

One more suggestion - please add your reply after the quote, this will help people read the content in the quote first and then your corresponding reply. Right now your reply is on top and the quote below.

Quote:
For NVH levels I will soon be posting a video showcasing the difference...this car is well insulated!
+1. The car is absolutely superb on the NVH front. It was a surprise for me when I took the TD.

Quote:
however in SX4 this is missing, sometimes I feel that there is a slight lag on how we move the steering to how the wheels respond
What I felt during my TD was the steering becomes heavy when we take a U-turn @ 0kmph. Otherwise it is decent for an electronic power steering. Is the size a bit smaller than Swift's steering?

Quote:
Noticed some erratic/unsteady idling, this is happening when the engine has run for quite sometime (temperature is midway),
That may be due to the power consumption, not sure. But 900 rpm is the idle rpm, so no worries on that front.

Quote:
Engine Oil Change, 15W40 Mobil 2.9 Liters
Is it 2.9 liters? Since the engine used is the same as Swift, shouldn't it be 3.1L ?

Quote:
Rattling returned yesterday, and the SA mentioned "top grill noise
Preciselywhat I hate about Maruti ! They cant get rid of rattles even in a 10L car, that too within first 1000 kms!

Quote:
Customer Service - 6/10 [Long faced SAs & over-smart cashier)
You just managed to give the SE a couple of sleepless nights. Maruti should be soon calling him up for explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
i also hear a side indicator on during the video,
Please don't quote videos [please delete it manually from your quote, if you happened to quote a video], since that makes the content [page] heavy for mobile users.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 20th June 2011 at 00:47.
Old 20th June 2011, 01:24   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Hey, that's not supposed to happen. Water comes instantaneously once you pull the wiper stalk.

And it is definitely not "normal" for there to be a lag. If you have time, do check it again. And if the SA says it is normal, ask him to prove it on other cars/showroom cars. That's the only way he will address the problem. Else, talk to the manager. A lag doesn't make a difference to anyone's life but it is still not usual.
Well, it is that way in all Suzukis i know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Is it 2.9 liters? Since the engine used is the same as Swift, shouldn't it be 3.1L ?
Its 3.1 L only when the filter is changed. You would blow up the turbo otherwise. 2.9 L is the required quantity for a regular oil change.
Old 20th June 2011, 12:11   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Its 3.1 L only when the filter is changed. You would blow up the turbo otherwise. 2.9 L is the required quantity for a regular oil change.
We would be changing the filter with every oil change right?

Again, with the filter change or not, why would the capacity of oil change? Am not sure of this, hence thought you might be able to clarify.
Old 20th June 2011, 14:30   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
We would be changing the filter with every oil change right?

Again, with the filter change or not, why would the capacity of oil change? Am not sure of this, hence thought you might be able to clarify.
I asked the same question to the SA, he showed me the service booklet, and only oil replacement is mentioned for diesel vehicles,

Upon asking on the less quantity of engine oil, the SA said the same thing that 3.1 litre is when oil filter is replaced.

I think the 200 ml difference is the one that remains in the oil filter.

BTW - This is true for Swift Diesel as well, I cross checked it in the first service report that I have for my previous car's records. In that report as well, only engine oil was changed, only difference is that 4 years back first service costed me Rs. 543 and SX4 Diesel's first service costed me Rs. 653, just 17% increase in first service cost

Last edited by rajatsingh78 : 20th June 2011 at 14:35.
Old 20th June 2011, 17:01   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

And it is definitely not "normal" for there to be a lag. If you have time, do check it again. And if the SA says it is normal, ask him to prove it on other cars/showroom cars. That's the only way he will address the problem. Else, talk to the manager. A lag doesn't make a difference to anyone's life but it is still not usual. Misaligned jets means something must be wrong at the bonnet end of the jets.
It happens in Hyundai's also, and I think its normal
Old 21st June 2011, 18:28   #28
BHPian

I was reading in one of the forum where somebody had mentioned that sx4 fails to pick up at lower rpms when it is fully loaded .

Any comment on the acceleration when fully loaded with 5 adults and boot filled with luggage’s ?
Old 21st June 2011, 18:59   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Issues Fixed -
  • Washer jets aligned, but there is some sort of lag between the time you pull the washer lever and when the water is actually sprayed, the sequence is lever pulled-->wipers start wiping-->water is sprayed, this was mentioned as "normal" by the service advisor
This is definitely NOT normal...it has to be lever pulled --> water is sprayed for a second or two --> wipers start moving.

If the wipers start moving before the water is sprayed, the windshield glass can get scratched.
Old 21st June 2011, 19:38   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post
I was reading in one of the forum where somebody had mentioned that sx4 fails to pick up at lower rpms when it is fully loaded .

Any comment on the acceleration when fully loaded with 5 adults and boot filled with luggage’s ?
Was that somebody talking about SX4 Diesel, if yes then I need to check this. I have so far had 3+1 people in the car with no issue in acceleration, infact the suspension becomes better when the car is loaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
This is definitely NOT normal...it has to be lever pulled --> water is sprayed for a second or two --> wipers start moving.

If the wipers start moving before the water is sprayed, the windshield glass can get scratched.
I will ask the SA to show me other cars and get this checked, will ask him to show me this on another SX4.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks