Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2011, 18:31   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My Turbo Beast: Laura TSI 2011 : CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricsg View Post
What is the best way to check the Vin details.
You can check basic VIN details at this site octinfo.com - Škoda Octavia info

Here you will get month of manufacture and year.

If you want a more detailed VIN report you can get it here VIN decoder for AUDI, VOLKSWAGEN, SKODA, SEAT, MITSUBISHI, OPEL, FORD, vin code check, vin decoding

This site is not free though and they charge about 4 Euros for the report. I got a detailed report for my car before taking delivery.

There is a slight variation in date of manufacture as per the two websites of about a month. THe first one gives just month and year , whereas the second one gives an actual date like "15-5-2011" (Dont know how they can get that from a 15 character figure!).

As per the detailed VIN report my car was manufactured on 15-4-2011.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2011, 21:13   #32
BHPian

I got a call from Skoda & then my dealer. Solution offered to me was, they would give me fog lamps, but they would not be functional. I started laughing & asked him to take a walk. Problem explained, was a wiring harness being absent, because of which technically the retrofit was not feasible. I then put the question, what if I wanted the wiring to be repaired, assuming I had an old TSI. The dealer could not answer. He said he wanted more time & would call me on Monday. This is getting funnier, each passing day.
Old 4th June 2011, 21:18   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maibaa View Post
I remember from one of the ownership threads on this forum last year that talked about the missing "bonnet sheild" or padding on the underside of the bonnet. Hence this item might not be there in the petrol version since the beginning or may not be required, as the petrol engine hardly makes any noise. This was the same reason I got from the service guys when I asked the same during the PDI of my Laura TSI.
Another use of the bonnet shield, is the heat not passing to the metal. Try opening a bonnet that has one & compare it to the one that does n't. Its a big difference. Thoughts running in my mind, is the penny wise & pound foolish attitude by such manufacturers, which make a customer (like me)
Old 7th June 2011, 14:22   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Swanand, the leather was done by Stanley in Andheri. It's Nappa @ Rs.65000.
Hey cedricsg, trust you got it done at the Stanley Boutique in Andheri (E).
Was this a negotiated price? Stanley in Gurgaon is quoting much higher for Laura - seats plus trim (Rs 84150 for Nappa, Rs 71150 for Scandanavia, Rs 58150 for Satin).
Old 7th June 2011, 15:56   #35
BHPian

Quote:
I got a call from Skoda & then my dealer. Solution offered to me was, they would give me fog lamps, but they would not be functional
That was a funny solution offered. Like the fake plastic lights on a kid's tricycle. What were they thinking!

When I had asked for fog lamps earlier, even I was told about the wiring harness thing, and they didn't seem very optimistic about it that kind of puzzled me. Now after knowing all the story behind the missing fog lamps, do I realize that is not something a dealer can fit from his side. Hence the ambiguity and hesitation from them when asked about Fogs.

Now lets see what Skoda has to say on this. I have not received any more replies from them yet.
Old 8th June 2011, 21:03   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodred

Hey cedricsg, trust you got it done at the Stanley Boutique in Andheri (E).
Was this a negotiated price? Stanley in Gurgaon is quoting much higher for Laura - seats plus trim (Rs 84150 for Nappa, Rs 71150 for Scandanavia, Rs 58150 for Satin).
Yes Buddy, these are negotiated rates. But the rates you have got are way high.
cedricsg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2011, 21:29   #37
BHPian

Stanley Rates in Bangalore for seat, door pad, gear knob, and steering wheel:

Basic - 32k
Satin - 42k
Scandinavian - 52k
Nappa - 62k

Just visited Stanley boutique today and got these quotes.
Maibaa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2011, 21:49   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maibaa View Post
Stanley Rates in Bangalore for seat, door pad, gear knob, and steering wheel:

Basic - 32k
Satin - 42k
Scandinavian - 52k
Nappa - 62k

Just visited Stanley boutique today and got these quotes.
If I remember correctly Stanley boutique quoted 46K for Nappa leather drapes for Linea. This was 2 years back, inflation has surely taken them by surprise!!
Old 10th June 2011, 00:25   #39
BHPian

Congrats on the new laura. In the laura tsi you've got yourself a killer engine that you can let scream on the highways!!

Just a quick question. Are the wooden panels after market fittings or did you get them as an accessory from the skoda itself?

Enjoy the tsi high!!
Old 10th June 2011, 04:48   #40
BHPian

@vinji14 : the Laura TSI comes with standard silver panels so the wooden panels are aftermarket and you can get them either painted or replaced, though the latter will cost a little extra but the finish is almost the same.
and the skoda dealer can do this for you.
varunsonu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2011, 04:05   #41
BHPian

I keep saying this to all 1.8 Tsi owners these days...

Thank you, Thank you very much for buying the 1.8 Tsi! Let me send out a huge note of gratitude on behalf of all petrol heads, for in this new era where Petrol heads are threatened by the logic and practicality of the diesel lovers it is quite something go out there and buy a pure petrol drivers machine, the best one in this side of 25 lakhs (OTR Bangalore).

I cannot express how happy i am, for you. Here is Azeem from Bangalore wishing you many many many happy high revving miles coupled with the pure pleasure and refinement of petrol.

Congratulations on your 1.8 Tsi.
Old 11th June 2011, 15:06   #42
BHPian

Topped up fuel (full tank), checked the fuel meter, needle was still on red. Looks like a faulty fuel gauge. Called up the workstation, since I am out of the city, will give it for inspection next week. Did not expect to experience A.S.S in 1 month!
Old 12th June 2011, 00:18   #43

Quote:
Topped up fuel (full tank), checked the fuel meter, needle was still on red. Looks like a faulty fuel gauge. Called up the workstation, since I am out of the city, will give it for inspection next week. Did not expect to experience A.S.S in 1 month!
Let's hope Ced you don't have to interact with the Skoda A.S.S guys too much. Other than the routine maintenance.

BTW ... Your baleno that you exchanged (for that x amount) with me, is definitely worth every penny that you've asked for. WHAT A PLEASURE to own and drive it. AWWWWEEESSSSOOOOMMMME. One reason I definitely want to thank the Skoda guys for. Had they not conned you ... sorry convinced you to buy a Laura ... I would never have been able to lay my hands on the beauty called Baleno.
Lucky are the few people who own a Baleno.
Old 12th June 2011, 09:56   #44
BHPian

Amit, welcome to Tbhp. Take good care of the Baleno. She has got plenty of miles to cover yet. Once you are used to the Baleno, your next logical upgrade would have to be a 150+ bhp motor, with amazing torque. Try shortlisting these cars in the 20 lac bracket, be ready & start saving! I just got confirmed news that the Laura RS would be launched this September with the same 1.8 TSI engine. Cosmetic changes are low profile rubber, stiffer suspension, typical RS front bumper with LEDs, racing pedals & leather. Glad that I did not wait for the RS & sad that Skoda chickened out in bringing the international RS with a 2 Ltr. 200 bhp engine. Had the true blue sports sedan to be launched by Skoda, even with a 3 lac plus premium, I would not have second thoughts in doing a swap. Just cosmetic changes for 2 lacs, does not appeal to me.
Old 12th June 2011, 10:16   #45
BANNED

Excellent review. A question, What kind of mileage do you get on this beast ?
Thanks

Most Viewed