Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2011, 00:39   #16
BHPian

Re: Skoda Laura, Ambiente 2.0 TDI DSG : Ownership Experience

Congrats for such a lovely car, very good decision making and also great way to describe it all! Please keep us updated on how it all goes, hope the car gives you miles and miles of pure joy and pride.

One imp question: how do you find the AC in skoda? I heard from a friend who owns octavia that AC isnot that good
Old 10th June 2011, 08:40   #17
BHPian

Two perspectives on Laura's AC performance:
  • Bangalore - Average daytime temperature is around 30 deg, AC is quite effective and makes feel comfortable within a couple of minutes on speed 2. Average performance.
  • Mumbai - High humidity and higher temperature of 34 deg+, AC takes more than 6~7 minutes to take you to comfort zone. Sub par performance.
I think most european cars would from this phenomenon. Linea too was a sub par performer in the AC dept.
Old 10th June 2011, 12:47   #18
BHPian

Congrats! You've got yourself an amazingly refined diesel automatic!

While i've read everywhere about how great the 140hp DSG engine is, i still feel it could be a "hit or a miss" situation. Meaning you could either have a trouble free car and enjoy all the great things that the car has to offer or you get the skoda curse and feel like you gambled with 18 lakhs and lost!!

I myself might be going for a diesel automatic sometime this year. Could you give me your views on how the cruze and the laura AT differ in terms of ride quality, turbo lag, suspension, and in-cabin noise? Also which would you consider a real "driver's" car? I know there's no right or wrong answer here but would just like your (or the moderators) views on this.
All things considered would you consider the cruze AT to be safer bet?

I ask these questions only as a curious person looking for a good VFM deisel automatic. I didnt mean to sound negative talking about skoda's miserable customer service!

I truly wish you long , thrilling and amazing journey in your 140 hp beast!
Old 10th June 2011, 16:03   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13 View Post
Two perspectives on Laura's AC performance:
  • Bangalore - Average daytime temperature is around 30 deg, AC is quite effective and makes feel comfortable within a couple of minutes on speed 2. Average performance.
  • Mumbai - High humidity and higher temperature of 34 deg+, AC takes more than 6~7 minutes to take you to comfort zone. Sub par performance.
I think most european cars would from this phenomenon. Linea too was a sub par performer in the AC dept.
Laura's AC is not as strong as some of the Japanese cars that I have driven like the Corolla. But it is not that bad either. Incidently I have recently installed 3M's crystalline series sun films for my TSI. Cost me a bomb for all 6 glass areas incl Windshield (transparent ones for windshield). But the heat insulation from these films is amazing. The Laura now feels like an igloo even in the hot sun and I hardly feel the need for a stronger AC.
Old 12th June 2011, 19:42   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinj14 View Post
I myself might be going for a diesel automatic sometime this year. Could you give me your views on how the cruze and the laura AT differ in terms of ride quality, turbo lag, suspension, and in-cabin noise? Also which would you consider a real "driver's" car? I know there's no right or wrong answer here but would just like your (or the moderators) views on this.
All things considered would you consider the cruze AT to be safer bet?
If you ask me personally I didn't find Cruze AT half as enticing to drive as the Laura DSG. That DSG is a real marvel, turbo lag is non-existent, suspension is better. In terms of in-cabin noise I would rate both at par. I'm a DRIVER so I bought what I thought was a drivers car!

Best of luck with your decision.
luky_13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2011, 20:10   #21
BHPian

>>>

The DSG is seamless and effortless in its ratio changes.

I find the AC perform optimally in Bombay's warm ( 35-38 C) with high humidity levels. The auto option is a very good feature.

Regards, drive safe
Old 13th June 2011, 10:34   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Can you also share details of the Skoda Shield package? Thanks!
There you are, a closer look at Skoda Shield (some pages that carry actual vehicle data were omitted intentionally).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SkodaShield.PDF (1.40 MB, 955 views)
Old 13th June 2011, 18:16   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There you are, a closer look at Skoda Shield (some pages that carry actual vehicle data were omitted intentionally).
Do share what Skoda says about non-OE alloys and ICE. As per the Skoda Shield brochure, it seems they could make an issue about it.
Old 13th June 2011, 19:26   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Do share what Skoda says about non-OE alloys and ICE. As per the Skoda Shield brochure, it seems they could make an issue about it.
You can download SkodaShield.pdf, this is all it says. Your guess is as good as mine. If intent is not clear SKODA can make an issue out of anything, but I see a general tendency towards improvement. The whole point of introducing Shield was to improve customer satisfaction, I'm quite sure skoda wouldn't want customers to sue them on the pretext of dishonouring extended warranty.
Old 13th June 2011, 21:04   #25
Senior - BHPian

Hmm, the reason I asked is that the pdf mentions that Skoda Shield isn't a mirror image of the normal warranty. So I assumed there would be some differences in the dos and don'ts in the two. Maybe some existing/former owners can also pitch in?
Old 19th June 2011, 11:09   #26
BHPian

Hey

I've seen many people add the wood finish for the ambiente version from the skoda dealers or from outside. Have you considered this for your car? Will skoda dealers in banglore do this on request? This option doesnt seem to exist here in chennai.

If you have any info on this please do let me know. Thanks
Old 21st June 2011, 20:03   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinj14 View Post
Hey

I've seen many people add the wood finish for the ambiente version from the skoda dealers or from outside. Have you considered this for your car? Will skoda dealers in banglore do this on request? This option doesnt seem to exist here in chennai.

If you have any info on this please do let me know. Thanks
Personally I don't like the wood grain finish, the silver inserts on the Ambiente are better off. Anyway I called up TAFE and checked up, they are willing to 'upgrade' to wood trim and will get back to me on the pricing by the weekend. Will share the cost once I have input from them.
Old 21st June 2011, 22:19   #28
BHPian

Congrats buddy. Glad to see so many Laura owners. I can understand your comment on the Tsi. Loved the way you described the experience.
Old 22nd June 2011, 11:51   #29
BHPian

Congrats mate and Welcome to Laura group It's gem of a car in its segment. I too own the same model and my review report would be coming soon.
Old 22nd June 2011, 11:55   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Personally I don't like the wood grain finish, the silver inserts on the Ambiente are better off. Anyway I called up TAFE and checked up, they are willing to 'upgrade' to wood trim and will get back to me on the pricing by the weekend. Will share the cost once I have input from them.
Be sure to check if the finishing is same as the original. I heard the fittings has some problems. But I guess, it depends from dealer to dealer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks