Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2011, 16:32   #31
BHPian

Re: Skoda Laura, Ambiente 2.0 TDI DSG : Ownership Experience

Planning to get chrome tips for exhaust ends. Has anyone tried to get pricing or had it installed from Skoda? I had initially inquired at the time of delivery and the accessories dept. quoted about 6K and 3 weeks for delivery.
Old 23rd June 2011, 17:40   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13 View Post
Planning to get chrome tips for exhaust ends. Has anyone tried to get pricing or had it installed from Skoda? I had initially inquired at the time of delivery and the accessories dept. quoted about 6K and 3 weeks for delivery.
Yup, I wanted those too. Infact I had asked it to be fitted on the car before I took delivery. I believe the exhaust tips for petrol and diesel are different. They had brought the diesel one by mistake and hence could not be fitted . Since then I have been following up with the accessories dept and they have been saying they have ordered for it and is yet to arrive. I remember reading on their website, the tips for petrol being priced at 3~3.5K, for diesel it was slightly more expensive.

Incidently Skoda has revamped their website. Looks like the Laura gets a new colour : "Rosso Brunelo". Kind of like rose colour. Arctic breeze seems to have been discontinued. The 'features' link doesn't seem to work. Will be interesting to see if any features have been added or more like what features have been 'officially' removed

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 23rd June 2011 at 17:42.
Old 23rd June 2011, 18:08   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I believe the exhaust tips for petrol and diesel are different. They had brought the diesel one by mistake and hence could not be fitted .
Here is how to distinguish the variants in Laura. The Exhaust Tip looks same for DSG TDI and TSI.
  • 110hp Diesel MT = Bent down Pipes
  • 140hp Diesel AT = Straight Pipes + Red I in TDI
  • 160hp Petrol MT = Straight Pipes + Red I in TSI

Last edited by .anshuman : 23rd June 2011 at 18:10.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2011, 11:07   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Yup, I wanted those too. Infact I had asked it to be fitted on the car before I took delivery. I believe the exhaust tips for petrol and diesel are different. They had brought the diesel one by mistake and hence could not be fitted . Since then I have been following up with the accessories dept and they have been saying they have ordered for it and is yet to arrive. I remember reading on their website, the tips for petrol being priced at 3~3.5K, for diesel it was slightly more expensive.

Incidently Skoda has revamped their website. Looks like the Laura gets a new colour : "Rosso Brunelo". Kind of like rose colour. Arctic breeze seems to have been discontinued. The 'features' link doesn't seem to work. Will be interesting to see if any features have been added or more like what features have been 'officially' removed
I booked my cappuccino beige laura dsg elegance version 3 days back (should be getting the delivery in about one week) and when i enquired about the rosso brunello colour i was told that it comes only with the L&K version. They had stopped the arctic breeze colour and are soon going to replace it with some darker shade of blue (according to the skoda dealer here in chennai). Not sure when this colour is going to be added though. No new features expected though. But the set of lauras being produced now comes with a shorter antenna (much like the honda city) and which does make the car look marginally better.

I am going to inquire about the exhausts tip as well. I was promised sun control films along with the usual mud flaps and floor mats as freebies. Will try and talk them into adding the exhaust tips to that list ( although i highly doubt they will!).

If the dealers are taking too long to get the exhausts tips or are over charging you guys then you might probably be interested in this product i found on ebay. Installation would also be pretty simple

SKODA OCTAVIA YETI SUPERB TDI CHROME EXHAUST PIPE TIP | eBay
Old 25th June 2011, 12:34   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ They had the Chrome Exhaust tip listed in the accessory section on the Laura Website before the website was renovated recently, so most probably the dealer might have the tip in stock.
Old 26th June 2011, 16:57   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

The Fog lamps on my TSI seem to have two seprate bulbs housed inside them (see pics). When switched on, only one of them lights up. Any idea what the other one is for? It doesn't seem to come on in any scenario. Can other Laura owners throw some er...'light' on this?

PS to guys who do did not get fogs : did not mean to rub salt into you wounds.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Laura, Ambiente 2.0 TDI DSG : Ownership Experience-dsc00776.jpg  

Skoda Laura, Ambiente 2.0 TDI DSG : Ownership Experience-dsc00780.jpg  

Old 26th June 2011, 17:07   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Fog lamps on my TSI seem to have two seprate bulbs housed inside them (see pics). When switched on, only one of them lights up. Any idea what the other one is for? It doesn't seem to come on in any scenario. Can other Laura owners throw some er...'light' on this?
The other bulb is used from Daytime running lights in daytime and cornering lights when other lights are switched on. Refer this thread for details: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...vag-com-8.html

I plan to get them activated at the next service. I see a lot of Fabias these days with DRLs on.

Last edited by .anshuman : 26th June 2011 at 22:11. Reason: typo
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2011, 20:45   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I plan to get them activated at the next service. I see a lot of Fabias these days with DRLs on.
I must have seen atleast 2 Fabia's sporting DRL's today.

Getting Mr. VAG and ELSAWIN 3.90 by the next weekend, ready to get my hands dirty .
Old 26th June 2011, 22:25   #39
BHPian

Quote:
I must have seen atleast 2 Fabia's sporting DRL's today.

Getting Mr. VAG and ELSAWIN 3.90 by the next weekend, ready to get my hands dirty .
WOW! Make sure you get some experienced professional person to help you out with this. Heard it could be quite risky unless you are absolutely sure about what you are doing.

Ive desperately been trying to get the multifunction steering for my skoda elegance dsg and have gone through many threads in briskoda.net. With a lot of help i've finally figured out what components i require and where i can source them from. If i can convince the skoda dealer here to do this for me without letting it affect my warranty i will go ahead with it. It involves a lot unlocking of codes with VCDS apart from the steering wheel itself! Lets see if i can pull of a miracle here!!
Old 28th June 2011, 23:03   #40
BHPian

@lucky 13 - Do let me know about your experience with VCDS? I'm trying to find someone who could help me with this as well. I found out today that the skoda service centers use a different software called VAS which apparently wont help in activating most of these features. Any truth in this?
Old 29th June 2011, 13:17   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinj14 View Post
@lucky 13 - Do let me know about your experience with VCDS? I'm trying to find someone who could help me with this as well. I found out today that the skoda service centers use a different software called VAS which apparently wont help in activating most of these features. Any truth in this?
Like VCDS VAS is an OBD compliant scanner, its good for diagnostics but not friendly for customizing. I cannot comment on its ability for activating features, most times the limitation would be the ability or knowledge of the dealership to do or try such things.

Some useful VW vocabulary (now that you own a Skoda):

1. VCDS - VAG-COM Diagnostic System
2. ELSA - Electronic Service Information System for Audi/VW/Seat/Skoda
3. ETKA - Elektronischer Teilekatalog Katalog or Electronic Parts Catalogue

To diagnose a problem use a Ross-Tech VAG-COM or a VAS. To rectify the problem refer to ELSAWIN - electronic service manual and to order parts refer ETKA.
luky_13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2011, 15:40   #42
BHPian

VAGing my Laura

As baby steps towards experimenting with my newly arrived VAG-COM I thought of first trying out two basic features
1. Instrument cluster - Activate Needle Sweep or Staging
2. Daylight running lights - Activate

Was able to get both the features work without any issues. Next target Cornering lights, Comfort turn signal and Leaving home lights. Posting step by step pics for Dummies like me who want to try this at home. Please do so at your own risk!
  1. Install VCDS 10.6 (also the USB driver thats embedded in the installer)
  2. Connect VAG-COM usb end to the Laptop and TEST the connection once, SAVE the profile.
  3. Connect the BUSINESS end to the CAN port on your car and open VCDS. Should look like this
    Name:  VCDS_Launch.png
Views: 3864
Size:  32.5 KB
    Name:  VCDS_Dashboard.png
Views: 3912
Size:  36.0 KB
  4. Target 1: Instrument Staging or Needle Sweep. Click 17-Instruments and then Adaptation. Select Staging and click Activate.
    Name:  VCDS_Instruments1.png
Views: 4805
Size:  40.3 KB
    Name:  VCDS_Instruments2.png
Views: 3907
Size:  22.7 KB
  5. Target 2: Daylight running lamps. Click 09-Cent. Elect. and then Coding. Check Bit 6.
    Name:  VCDS_CentElect1.png
Views: 4461
Size:  36.5 KB
    Name:  VCDS_CentElect1_Coding1.png
Views: 3676
Size:  25.7 KB
    Name:  VCDS_CentElect1_Coding2.png
Views: 3987
Size:  44.5 KB
luky_13 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2011, 16:25   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

A lot of information on VAG-COM can be found here: Diagnostics & VCDS - BRISKODA.net - The Skoda Forum and Community
Old 2nd July 2011, 20:12   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13
As baby steps towards experimenting with my newly arrived VAG-COM I thought of first trying out two basic features

Was able to get both the features work without any issues.
Wow, that's awesome! Can you switch the DRLs on and off? Which switch would you use? And does this void your warranty? I'd love to have these activated as well!
Old 2nd July 2011, 20:16   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: VAGing my Laura

Quote:
luky_13 I am a bit of a novice here, what exactly do you mean by "needle sweep or staging"?

and one more thing...aren't you concerned you might void your warranty? and that too on a Skoda?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks