Team-BHP - Skoda Laura, Ambiente 2.0 TDI DSG : Ownership Experience
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   Skoda Laura, Ambiente 2.0 TDI DSG : Ownership Experience (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/102217-skoda-laura-ambiente-2-0-tdi-dsg-ownership-experience.html)

Do I need a change?
I owned and drove a Linea MJD for a little over 2 years. She was a loyal partner, never ditched or cheated on me. I experienced profound satisfaction in almost all departments - fuel-efficiency, suspension, traction, drivability, road manners for the little in excess of 58K Km's that I clocked in her. The TCO was almost negligible, I did not spend anything more that the odd 4~5K for a regular 15K service. Loaded with all kinds of bits and bobs including my favourite Blue & Me. She did raise the bar pretty high, and so I realize now.

Having had this very intimate relationship I rampantly found my eyes consistently drooling and mouth invariably watering over the sight of a new gleamy D-segment sedan. While the left side of my brain was busy controlling bodily functions and scoring on common logic, the more devilish right side was cleverly scheming, calculating and finding fresh and hidden sources of moolah to fund this new and fascinating enterprise – all without my knowledge!:D A plot was hatched, although I shirked from an outright admission, I had been consumed.

Shoot-out!
Half hearted (not really) and guilt ridden the shootout for a diesel sedan commenced one bright Sunday morning.

Finally it all boiled down to Cruze vs Laura. It took me a good 3 weeks to take this call, I was like an alternately changing road side parking. On even days I would decide to jump for the Cruze and the odd ones found me salivating for Laura. Skoda being skoda had definitive downsides, probably Skoda-Shield is what made me blow the final bugle.

A deal was struck with TAFE and booking advance handed over on 22-Apr , promise to delivery within 15 days. Skoda Laura, Ambiente 2.0 TDI DSG - Candy White.

When I started gunning for TD's I approached Vinayak Motors, contrary to popular belief my experience with them was pretty damp. They wanted to sell cars but hesitant to offer a TD, I had to persist. After a weeks of negotiation (for a TD!) they brought home a 2.0 TDI DSG Elegance. The TD came with a lot of riders, don't do this and don't do that. Once I had made up my mind, they got stuck on discounts. Later I approached TAFE, got a hefty discount and closed the booking.

On 4-May, I was informed that the car had been unloaded. I requested a quick pre-PDI inspection in accordance with T-bhp protocol. Request accepted, within an hour we were at the dealership. A quick inspection of the bodyline, engine bay, interiors and boot revealed no defects. Odo read 24 kms. Inserted the key and within half a crank she roared to life. VIN No. noted and decoded, she was born in April 2011. Collected the remaining paperwork and was asked to take delivery on 7-May.

Skoda Laura, Ambiente 2.0 TDI DSG : Ownership Experience-img2011050500090.jpg

Top half covered in white protective tape
Skoda Laura, Ambiente 2.0 TDI DSG : Ownership Experience-img2011050500093.jpg

Cushioned styrofoam bumpers to avoid damage during shipment
Skoda Laura, Ambiente 2.0 TDI DSG : Ownership Experience-img2011050500094.jpg

Come 7-May, 1700 hrs and I reached TAFE. She was ready. Ran through the PDI checklist religiously. Strangely, Skoda-Shield documents arrive after 15 days along with the Bajaj Allianz Drive Assure - Bumper to Bumper, 0% depreciation insurance policy I opted for. Mud flaps and 2 sets of floor mats were given complimentary - Beige fabric mats + Black rubber mats. High security number plates were charged extra and would to be installed on the next working day, Monday. Checked for all the paperwork and went through the customary signature marathon:-

1. Invoice - check
2. Payment Receipt - check
3. Gate pass - check
4. Insurance cover note - check
6. Registration receipt - check
7. User manual - check
8. Keys (2 no's) - check
9. Fuel coupon - check, 15 ltrs

Thanked and shook hands with the SA and drove her home. I hadn't even completed a kilometer when I heard a repeated and loud THUD noise originating from the rear. Every time I went over a pothole or a bad road Thud.... Thud, over small stones - Thud... Thud... Thud. I broke into a cold sweat, was I hit by the Skoda bug, was this a lemon. Eventually mustered some confidence and stopped at my pet fuel station, she guzzled 60 litres. Moved over to check tyre pressure, lo and behold - the meter read 52 psi in all 4 wheels :Shockked:. The attendant gave a very amused look. Anyways, pressure was reduced to an earthly 30 psi and THEN she drove like a dream.

So much for Skoda PDI!!

Honestly, even Skoda-Shield did not end my insecurity. The running-in period was painful, painfully ridden 2000 kms with a constant watch on the tacho to tame it within 2500 rpm and then I was also growing bat-ears, constantly trying to hear a clink or a clank from the engine bay. I did hear a few, probably when I was hallucinating and quickly realized that this was a result of 99 billion Skoda threads I had read on team-bhp. At the time of penning this experience the car has clocked 3800 trouble-free kms (phew!) and earned its first stripes over a thrilling Bangalore-Mumbai-Bangalore escapade.

Threads that influenced my decision. Thanks .anshuman, Ravich, GTO, Akki_5 ...
  1. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...xperience.html
  2. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...xperience.html
  3. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...0km-drive.html
  4. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...g-vag-com.html

Some pics. Exterior
Skoda Laura, Ambiente 2.0 TDI DSG : Ownership Experience-log1.jpg
Skoda Laura, Ambiente 2.0 TDI DSG : Ownership Experience-log2.jpg
Skoda Laura, Ambiente 2.0 TDI DSG : Ownership Experience-tb1.jpg
Skoda Laura, Ambiente 2.0 TDI DSG : Ownership Experience-tb4.jpg
Skoda Laura, Ambiente 2.0 TDI DSG : Ownership Experience-tb8.jpg
Skoda Laura, Ambiente 2.0 TDI DSG : Ownership Experience-tb6.jpg
Skoda Laura, Ambiente 2.0 TDI DSG : Ownership Experience-all1.jpg

Interior
Skoda Laura, Ambiente 2.0 TDI DSG : Ownership Experience-ice1.jpg
Skoda Laura, Ambiente 2.0 TDI DSG : Ownership Experience-tb9.jpg
Skoda Laura, Ambiente 2.0 TDI DSG : Ownership Experience-strg1.jpg
Skoda Laura, Ambiente 2.0 TDI DSG : Ownership Experience-int1.jpg
Name:  DSG1.jpg
Views: 13068
Size:  97.6 KB
Skoda Laura, Ambiente 2.0 TDI DSG : Ownership Experience-arb1.jpg

Note from Support: Thread moved to public domain from Assembly line. Thanks for sharing the ownership report.

Great read, luky_13! Congratulations on your purchase and I wish you many miles of happy, trouble-free driving. I'm almost set on purchasing a Laura TSI myself and your post has just made my resolve a little bit stronger, so thanks!

Congratulations! Lovely car, and a very well written buying/initial ownership experience!
Hoping the evil DSG doesn't strike, and the good DSG puts a grin on your face every time ;)

Couple of questions: Do you know if the warranty is voided if you:
- fitted an aftermarket ICE system?
- fitted aftermarket alloys?

Can you also share details of the Skoda Shield package? Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orko (Post 2384185)
Great read, luky_13! Congratulations on your purchase and I wish you many miles of happy, trouble-free driving. I'm almost set on purchasing a Laura TSI myself and your post has just made my resolve a little bit stronger, so thanks!

Thanks Orko. Just for your info, my Laura came with Fog lamps but the Rain sensing wipers (rather rain sensors) and Auto dimming mirror were missing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by razor4077 (Post 2384218)
Congratulations! Lovely car, and a very well written buying/initial ownership experience!
Hoping the evil DSG doesn't strike, and the good DSG puts a grin on your face every time ;)

Couple of questions: Do you know if the warranty is voided if you:
- fitted an aftermarket ICE system?
- fitted aftermarket alloys?

Can you also share details of the Skoda Shield package? Thanks!

Thanks razor, I'm yet to get the Skoda-Shield warranty booklet. Will share once I get my hands on it. Let me also find out if the warranty is void in case I happen to change the ICE or alloys. I have been drooling over the RNS510 for a while, lets see.:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by luky_13 (Post 2384415)
Thanks Orko. Just for your info, my Laura came with Fog lamps but the Rain sensing wipers (rather rain sensors) and Auto dimming mirror were missing.

Yeah, that seems to be par for the course now. I did go through a week of hair-pulling when I realised that fog lamps were not part of the deal but now it looks like I'm sorted. I'll be doing a thorough check anyway in the Tafe stockyard before confirming the order.

:thumbs up Great write up Luky_13. The car looks lovely in the pics esp the one on the grass.

Quote:

Originally Posted by luky_13 (Post 2376737)
I hadn't even completed a kilometer when I heard a repeated and loud THUD noise originating from the rear. Every time I went over a pothole or a bad road Thud.... Thud, over small stones - Thud... Thud... Thud. I broke into a cold sweat, was I hit by the Skoda bug, was this a lemon. Eventually mustered some confidence and stopped at my pet fuel station, she guzzled 60 litres. Moved over to check tyre pressure, lo and behold - the meter read 52 psi in all 4 wheels :Shockked:. !

I know that "thud thud feeling" :D. My TSI also showed a pressure of 52 psi after I checked it immediately upon reaching home from the showroom after taking delivery. While driving back from the showroom the ride was so stiff that I was hoping (almost praying) that the tyres were overinflated!

Quote:

Originally Posted by luky_13 (Post 2376737)
Incidentally, this centre arm rest can also act as cold box.

Can you confirm this? My Ambiente TSI dosen't seem to have this. Congrats! You are one of the lucky few to get fog lamps this year!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santoshbhat (Post 2384846)
Can you confirm this? My Ambiente TSI dosen't seem to have this. Congrats! You are one of the lucky few to get fog lamps this year!

Santosh, the cold storage is confirmed. I have carried ice-cream cups in the centre arm rest a few times and it stays. There is a vertical plastic lever that needs to be pulled up for the cold air to circulate in the arm rest, when not required the lever can be pushed back and circulation stops.

Congrats on the car luky_13.
Can you please let me know what discounts and freebies were offered? I am in the process of buying a cruze since Laura was way out of my budget. I might reconsider Laura if the discount is good.

Luky13, congratulations on the purchase.
Man, its raining Skoda Laura's on BHP! This is the third ownership thread Ive read in a week!

Luky, nice color too. Do give us a detailed review of likes and dislikes.
About the cooled center armrest, yes its been there on all Laura's right? Except the new trimmed down TSi's that have hit the market.

Here's wishing you many happy miles with the beast.

Lucky 13

Congratulations, on the new girl in your life. Laura has to be girl right..

You seem to have followed all the right steps in selecting the car and and the extended plan and also for the PDI and finally the run in period.

This should lead to a nice ownership experience of driving a car suited to your style.

When it's time for a tyre change the Laura does afford the option of upgrades both in the rim 15"-16" and tyre sizes - 205-215or 225 AR for renewed joy once again.

Am sure it feels sporty enough right now, but then there is still that bit more that one can get out of a Laura.

Congrats Lucky, nice photos there!!

Wish you a happy ownership. This car rocks! It is certainly one of the best everyday cars in the market these days for people who prefer to drive.