Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2011, 17:16   #1

Ahhh, Finally the Marriage - Maruti Ritz VDi EDIT: Now sold!

Finally the Marriage - Ritz VDi, based on my true story

Introducing

Leading characters

Myself (Not my first post on TBHP, but more so definitely my first thread)

The Ritzie

Supporting Cast - Mom, Wife, Brother, Swift, i10, Indica (to some extent)

The Story - Flashback

It was probably ~5 years ago, when he saw her (Swift VDi)

Adorned in Red, the seductive ways of her had captured his heart completely

He always wanted to walk up-to her, but never did so - Cause somewhere deep within he could never sum up the courage to do so

He wanted to be worthy of her in all true sense

He wanted to be capable of, taking care of her completely

He wanted to pamper her to the "T"

And thus with a mission in his heart - started the journey for the marriage

Went thru job changes and with every job change, he always wanted to be in a better position before approaching her

The last job change took him all the way up to the capital and there he felt that the time had arrived to make the lady his own

He also got the opportunity to see and interact closely with his lady

But then tragedy struck and he had to go abroad for an assignment for 3 months

Came back, but was told that this would become a regular affair

Now a bachelor - a newly married one at that! cannot leave his bride behind and go abroad for 3 months right!

So the question of walking up-to her was postponed for some more time

After 3+ years of dilly dallying with his manager's, finally they decided to let him go back to Bangalore

The moment he touched down in bangalore, he knew he would have his lady by his side in coming times

Little did he know, that fate had other plans

A financial crunch at the family front forced him out of all his savings and he knew he could not afford her then

The wait which he believed was over, again painstakingly started and stared for a long time at his face

But more than ever this time around, the determination to have his lady by his side had overshadowed anything else in his world

After discussing it with his 1st wife over lengthy periods (Ahh sorry forgot, after touch down Bangalore he got married as per his parent's wish)

But he had always wanted the other lady too, so after lengthy discussions with the wifey - she was convinced of his desire to have the other lady

He had been arranging the dowry to be given for her for sometime now and was almost there

Come 03rd June, he went along to meet the girl's family (RNS Motors, Kalyani Motors, Trinity Motors)

The joy errupting in his heart while speaking to her family was boundless, but he was controlling it all the way till -

RNS motors actually told him that he cannot have his lady any sooner since the marriage would take close to 4 months (Can you believe that?) &

Kalyani & Trinity were better, cause they said that the marriage would take 2-3 months

He just could not wait any longer

He requested with her family, but nothing was listened to

He begged with her family, but they said they were helpless

He threatened them by saying that he would marry another girl, but they said they didn't care and did not even blink once

He was heart broken, He felt cheated

He never felt so close, yet he never felt so far

The family members offered him her sister (younger one at that!!) RiTZ VDi

But care he did?!, Nahh!

It was high time for him to get married (no two ways about it). He was also getting old but still younger sister was a long stretch!!!

He came back home clueless and was staring into the blank space in his mind, when his 1st wife approached him and started talking about the younger sister

At first he was not even ready to listen, cause it was betrayal of the highest order and he would never be able to look into his own eyes if he married the younger sister

But the family and friends (some!!) started putting some sense like her dowry(Total value) to be given, her efficiency (FE), her smartness (power), her looks (though we both were in complete acceptance that she was not tasteful from her back)

Hearing all these he again went into more confusion and went to bed with his head full of thoughts about his lady and the younger sister

Come 04th June, A New day, A New Thought -

Why not younger sister? Only for her looks she could not be rejected. There should be something more for him to say no and convince his 1st wife to stay away from the thought of the younger sister

He along with his 1st wife went to the lady's family once again

This time he decided to speak to the younger sister (Test Drive) and agree the family did!

He spoke to about various topics (All types of roads) for some time and he felt happy

The younger sister almost resembled (characteristics) to the elder sister (Swift VDi)

Though she was not and can never be as good as her elder sister, she still was great to be with and he made up his mind

That he would marry her

He started all the procedures as required to make her his

(Interval) Off the story line now -

Requirements -

1. A family car to do the business of transporting family to & from Bangalore to Calicut (once a month)

2. A car good enough to be driven to office 20-30kms each day for 5 days

3. A generous weekend use, Sometimes ending up using it to visit relatives spread all across bangalore (extreme ends, from Nagharbhavi to J.P.Nagar 15th crs, to C.V.Raman Nagar, to Attibele, to Viveknagar)

4. A car that can stand the abuse that would be meted out to it by my race-maniac brother

Contenders -

A car which could fit in my budget of 5-6 lakhs

1. Swift - Any-day I would buy a swift. I love driving the car and there is an amazing connect b/w me and accelerator pedal which is beyond words for description

2. Hyundai i10 - A savvy ride, wonderful interiors, In the budget

3. Wagon R - A maruti workhorse, proven! Ok drive, comes with gas too, definitely cost effective

4. Santro - Would be well within budget (middle class mindset ehh!), compulsion of following on elder brothers footsteps (what with mom saying why don't you buy it? It must be good. Else why will you brother buy it?)

5. Indica - A car good enough for my purpose, lacking in character, I am not a huge fan of the center console dash

6. Punto - Fabulous car, the name in the front and the back make people run away from it. (Test drove the 90BHP and felt as if i was born (not the other way around) to own this beauty!!)

7. Figo - Good car nevertheless, but still i was not happy. Have no particualr reason but somehow it just did not strike me out

Remaining contenders in the ring after - test drives, multiple discussions with family and friends, Cash flow considerations, trying to graduate after reading all the information on TeamBHP

1. Swift - Ohh yaa. As said above, swift i shall buy anyday and no matter what somebody says it would be bought!

2. Hyundai i10 - Very good car and would suit the requirements to the T

3. Indica - 1 more Indica and TATA would have officially announced our family as the Indica family with already 4 Indica's within the family (extended though!) Somehow, Indiaca does not come off as a car which i would like to own. Moreover it would be driven by your's truly completely

Finalisation -

2. Hyundia i10 - Had petrol prices been around 50/-, this would have been the purchase without a doubt

1. Swift - Went to RNS to book swift, but was dissuaded by the waiting period. I was told a waiting period of min. 3months

And i needed a ride badly and was sulking when they asked me to try the RiTZ VDi

~ RiTZ VDi - She shares the same engine of the swift, that could be treated as a consoling factor for me

Her rear is not something i am fond off, but it grows and the more one reads about it, the more it starts to seem different (Though slightly)

The mother and the In-laws, liked the Ingress / Egress of RiTZ

And the brother and me liked the way she behaved on the streets

So RiTZ VDi it was decided and moreover, i would have it in 5days time

Not bad, 3months to 5days was a big transition

04-06-2011

And so on a Saturday it was booked and the promised delivery was Thursday

Come Monday morning, SE called up to say that the car which was available was already booked

Suddenly, it felt as it was a cosmic intervention and god did not want me to buy anything other than the Swift

But in the evening, when it was all but decided i get a call again saying that they are trying to locate a SS(Silky Silver) RiTZ VDi for me and requested me to hang on to them 1 more day, before planning to cancel my booking with them

08-06-2011

Wednesday morning (after lots of talking on Tuesday), SE called me up to say that they have 1 SS RiTZ VDi and they have booked it in my name and that i can take it by Saturday

So as decided way earlier, Ritzie it had to be and so we started the documentation

I was opting to finance the car, since there are other priorities which have to be tendered parallelly

So Wednesday the bank documents were given to the bank executive (Again representative from HDFC - RNS motors)

Thursday evening the loan was approved and Friday they wanted me to sign the agreement

But i insisted on seeing the car before signing the agreement and was duly told that the car is in the showroom and i could visit the showroom and have a look at the same

But since it was in the middle of the week - Just couldn't make it to the showroom and promised them to make it by Saturday

11-06-2011

As said, Saturday went to see her in flesh and she was beautiful!!

Ritzie in Flesh during PDI

Ahhh, Finally the Marriage - Maruti Ritz VDi EDIT: Now sold!-ritzie_pdi-1.jpg

Ahhh, Finally the Marriage - Maruti Ritz VDi EDIT: Now sold!-ritzie_pdi-2.jpg

At that point of time she had already run 11kms

Spoke to the SE for a long time asking how it ran such distance? But to no avail

Did a PDI, as per the TBHP check-list and then signed the Form-22 for registration purposes

After all said and done the loan agreement was signed on Monday

And the delivery date was fixed as Thursday (auspicious for some reasons know to my mom)

16-06-2011

Come the day, i was the most happiest guy, with a weird feeling as to why others are not so happy, until going to the showroom

We did all the remaining documentation, paid up all the remaining dues and was explained regarding all the options available

Also all those lights in the speedometer were also explained and sort of understood!!!

The Ritzie being "DELIVERED"

Ahhh, Finally the Marriage - Maruti Ritz VDi EDIT: Now sold!-ritzie_delivery-1.jpg

Me with both the ladies

Ahhh, Finally the Marriage - Maruti Ritz VDi EDIT: Now sold!-ritzie_delivery-2.jpg

The puja formalities completed - My race-maniac brother just could not wait to get his hands on the lady

We received 5ltrs/- Diesel coupons from RNS and we deemed it at the nearest bunk

And off we went.....!

The story resumes

Once the procedures were done, the marriage was fixed in 5 days time

But come Monday, disappointment hit him

He was told the bride was sick and it may take time for the marriage

But in 2 days time, everything was fine and back to normal again

After 12 days from speaking to the bride's family as agreed he got married

He along with his family bought home the bride with band bajaa baraat

To be continued.....

Have been really busy with work

But Ritzie has definitely created a problem

Everybody wants to take her out or go out with her

How can that be possible? I think..

But that is the truth, She has already completed 560kms as this being written

And some observations were / are made -

1. It does definitely feel like sitting higher than many other cars (seriously!!)

2. As already documented by many people here, the moment the Turbo kicks in - She is a riot on the streets

3. Her lights are definitely poor, way poor

4. She does manage to throw people inside if she is subjected to hard curves at moderate speeds

5. Dead pedal must have been there for Ritzie, since her clutch travel is not the best and the seats lack under thigh support, it (missing dead pedal) definitely is highlighted

6. 5 people can definitely sit comfortably

7. The brakes do not bite that well when it is fully loaded (May be only with my Ritzie! I have no clue. Will bring it up during the 1st service)

8. Reversing her can be managed effectively until the rear seat headrest's are lowered

9. She does create problems while turning due to her thick A-Pillars

10. Somehow the gear does not slot in smoothly (3rd gear only, Again might be an issue with my car only, Solution - Same as point 7)

11. She does not loose power when the AC is turned on to the 2nd position
3rd and 4th makes her feel weak a bit more than the other 2 positions (Again until the turbo kicks in at 1800-2000)

12. The accelerator pedal positioning is a bit awkward, but liveable

13. The waterfall dash mounted gear lever design is good and does reduce the effort for the gear changes in bumper to bumper traffic

14. She is audible until she is driven in the 1800-2200rmp range

Completed 1st Service (1100kms)30th June 2011

Work done -

1. Oil change
2. Wiper blade issue (addressed with a promise, if in future there is an issue, it would be replaced)
3. Checked for the gear issue all normal!!
4. Brake issue - Nothing can be done. Not that she does not stop, she does not exude the confidence

Changes after having her serviced

She feels a bit more relaxed
She is being worked up to 2500rmp levels on a regular basis and (I feel) she is enjoying it
The brakes still don't bite the dust, should have gone for the ABS version (my bad!!!)

Last edited by shyam.n10 : 8th July 2011 at 15:15.
shyam.n10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th July 2011, 11:22   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Ahhh, Finally the Marriage - Maruti Ritz VDi EDIT: Now sold!

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership forum. Thanks for sharing!
Old 10th July 2011, 14:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

Let me be the 1st one here to say "Congrats" for your new ride.
Ritz is really a nice car.
Regarding the long clutch, yes thats an issue with Ritz but for people with those 10+ size shoes it might not be an issue .Dont worry you will get adjusted to it.
"the seats lack under thigh support"
I guess most of the Ritz owner found this to have good under thigh support because of the higher seating position .
True the headlights are really bad, get them changed ASAP , specially as you do highways drives .

If possible get the tyres also changed, will help you in your highway runs.

Also let us know some more about the deal you got for your ride.
Any accessoires planned ?

Cheers and drive safe .

Last edited by Schoudhury : 10th July 2011 at 14:15.
Old 10th July 2011, 14:58   #4
BHPian

From your post and pictures I could see that you got married twice.

Just kidding. Awesome way of narrating your new acquisition. Congrats on your new purchase. Hope you post some more pictures of your car. When the Ritz was launched, even I was eager to buy it but somehow it did not materialize.

Happy motoring.
Old 10th July 2011, 15:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations shyam for your brand new Maruti Ritz VDi. This car took some time to impact prospective buyers due to its rear design. But now the car is selling well especially with the diesel powered motor. I quite like the way you drafted your review, rated three stars.

Please do post some more pictures of your ride.

Wishing you happy and safe driving.
Old 11th July 2011, 19:42   #6

Thanks Guys, She has been more than a pleasure to drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
Also let us know some more about the deal you got for your ride.
Any accessoires planned ?
Ahhh, Finally the Marriage - Maruti Ritz VDi EDIT: Now sold!-ritzie_price_details.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Happy motoring.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Please do post some more pictures of your ride.
Definitely, would do it once i am back from my assignment
Old 11th July 2011, 21:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

For Ritz there is no discounts on offer ? Thats strange , also the dealer didnt provide any freebies with car, or you didnt ask for any.

Also did you check with other dealer in bangalore .

I remember , when i got the my Ritz, i got quotes from all the dealer in bangalore and all of them have different stuff to give, so i finally settled for the dealer which provided me the best deal .

Cheers
Old 11th July 2011, 21:21   #8
BHPian

@shyam.n10,

Congrats on your new car. Nice refreshing colour!

Your write-up was thoroughly amusing.

How do you rate the ride of Ritzie?

Can we please have more pictures?

Enjoy your ride and drive safe.

Cheers,charthom.
Old 12th July 2011, 10:56   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
For Ritz there is no discounts on offer ? Thats strange , also the dealer didnt provide any freebies with car, or you didnt ask for any.

Also did you check with other dealer in bangalore .
Cheers
Yep, did check around for the best deals

Kalyani, Mondovi, Bimal, Trinity and finally at RNS

Nobody is giving any discounts or freebies for VDI of any make, let it be a Ritz, Swift or Dezire

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
@shyam.n10,

How do you rate the ride of Ritzie?

Can we please have more pictures?

Cheers,charthom.
Thanks charthom

The Ritzie in my opinion does a bit of everything

She does not excel in any one particular department but has potential to offer small bits in all aspects, thereby being considerably a potent family car

She is definitely not the best lady to drive out there, but she can be kept since you are sure she wouldn't let you down on the roads

Pictures would definitely follow, once i am thru with my assignment in the next couple of weeks
Old 12th July 2011, 12:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

agree lights are poor.
3rd gear is a known thing.
disagree on under thigh support

PS: you have not found the optimum driving position yet, the awkward acc pedal. go back one notch in your seat or adjust the back support for more inclination.

the breaks will get their bit, they are just running in. the minute you find that good driving position, you will feel that breaks are good. relax!! just play around to get a good driving position.
Old 12th July 2011, 13:19   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
disagree on under thigh support

PS: you have not found the optimum driving position yet, the awkward acc pedal. go back one notch in your seat or adjust the back support for more inclination
Still figuring out with the optimum driving position --- so shall reserve my opinion on this point for the moment

Also, while going thru your post, i read that your central locking locks all doors automatically after you reach a speed of 25kmph

Are you sure of this? Cause it ain't happening with mine and i remember particularly asking this to SE who sold me this car and the reply was that this car does not have this feature!!!

Can you please revert back after confirming!
Old 12th July 2011, 13:47   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on getting a "second wife" .I own a Ritz Vxi and agree with you regarding a few things,
Lights are definitely on the lower side of brightness if compared to others.I changed mine with Hella 100/90W with Hella relay and wiring,cost Rs.1800 for both.
Reversing is a pain in the neck,i got parking sensors (Nippon) installed from the dealership at a cost of Rs.2500.Now i use the ORVMs and sensor,it helps a lot.
Other things,you'll get used to in few days.
Enjoy your ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyam.n10 View Post
Also, while going thru your post, i read that your central locking locks all doors automatically after you reach a speed of 25kmph

Are you sure of this? Cause it ain't happening with mine and i remember particularly asking this to SE who sold me this car and the reply was that this car does not have this feature!!!

Can you please revert back after confirming!
The Vxi/Vdi/Zxi have the speed actuated central locking wherein all doors lock once you cross 20kmph.(Though not sure about Lxi/Ldi)The doors get unlocked once you remove the keys from the ignition switch or use the unlock button on the driver side door.If you unlock your doors when engine is running,the doors get locked again when you exceed 20kmph.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 12th July 2011 at 13:56.
Old 12th July 2011, 14:20   #13
BHPian

Congrats on your new (B)ride !.

lets plan a trip soon... before we all get too busy in our lives.
Old 12th July 2011, 14:34   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
I changed mine with Hella 100/90W with Hella relay and wiring,cost Rs.1800 for both.

Reversing is a pain in the neck,i got parking sensors (Nippon) installed from the dealership at a cost of Rs.2500.Now i use the ORVMs and sensor,it helps a lot.

The Vxi/Vdi/Zxi have the speed actuated central locking wherein all doors lock once you cross 20kmph.(Though not sure about Lxi/Ldi)The doors get unlocked once you remove the keys from the ignition switch or use the unlock button on the driver side door.If you unlock your doors when engine is running,the doors get locked again when you exceed 20kmph.
Thanks Bonecollector

Would change the headlamps at the earliest, I am also looking at Hella 100/90W

Are you sure regarding the central locking in VDI, mine does not lock

And i vividly remember asking the SE for the same and getting a reply in negative

Shall cross check once again today

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvmohankumar View Post
Congrats on your new (B)ride !.

lets plan a trip soon... before we all get too busy in our lives.
Thanks Mohan

Oh yeah surely, should plan a trip

We are / were / would always be busy in our lives in some ways or the other

We just need excuses
Old 12th July 2011, 14:57   #15
Senior - BHPian

@shyam, it comes with the security system, just ask them enable it. there is a way to do it by yourself. it is in the manual, where you have to toggle the keys and press the alarm button and it is done!!! something like that. I just told them to activate before delivering. may be you can tell them to activate it for your first service at 1000kms.

Need more pics of the car!!!!!!

Most Viewed