Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2013, 22:28   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Indica eV2/Indigo eCS CR4 Reviews

Isn't 20K a bit early to be replacing tyres ? especially S322's are rather long lasting. Mine lasted 40K, and there are reports of them running upto 60K Kms
Don't bridgestone dealers have the S322? - I was offered one for 4.7K a piece. Eventually settled on Apollo acelere - Bought the +1 upsize of 175/65R14 though 165/65R14 was also available.
You can find more info about tyre options in your size in the below link
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...-turbo-v2.html
And reviews from using the acelere on the indica here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...-ones-now.html

typically the tyres recommended here on team bhp are the Apollo acelere if you are looking for vfm, and the Michelin XM2 if you are looking to splurge a bit. Personally I think the acelere are enough.

Last edited by greenhorn : 24th January 2013 at 22:29.
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2013, 13:55   #17
BHPian

Thanks for all the great info. Two quick questions though.

- Can I buy 4 (upsized) tyres (175/65- R14 in this case) or do I HAVE to buy all five?

- In case of a puncture, will it make my car unstable / unsafe with 165 tyes in one leg (from the stepney) and a 175 tyre in the other?

Thanks
Old 17th March 2013, 18:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

165 in one should be fine as long as you are driving sober.

Had a chat with a cabbie the other day when i had some time. he was driving a 1 year old eV2 with 72K on the clock. The car pulled cleanly from 1400rpm or so. He said he had absolutely no issues so far, though he had heard dicors had some issues. He said he religiously follows the 2 minute idling process. He had been driving indicas for 8 years now, and is happy with them, but suggested staying away from the service centers for obvious reasons
Old 29th April 2013, 21:04   #19
BHPian

Finally upgraded to Yoko A drive 175/65 R14s. The ride has settled down really well. The car feels very well planted. IMO, it also looks much nicer with the wheel wells filled up. Over the 400 Km driven since the replacement, FE has dropped by just about 1 Kmpl. So, I am feeling quite pleased at my decision. Thank you all, especially @Greenhorn.
Old 21st September 2013, 11:09   #20
Senior - BHPian

Re: Indica eV2/Indigo eCS CR4 Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
hi. Any updates about your CR4 engine mileage?
Old 21st September 2013, 14:30   #21
BANNED

Re: Indica eV2/Indigo eCS CR4 Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
hi. Any updates about your CR4 engine mileage?
Consistent at about 18 kpl in Delhi / Noida use.
Old 21st September 2013, 14:55   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrapunto View Post
Over the 400 Km driven since the replacement, FE has dropped by just about 1 Kmpl.
Have you taken into account speedo error resulting from larger dia tyres? Your wheels now rotate fewer number of times therefore showing fewer KMs.
Old 21st September 2013, 18:08   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Have you taken into account speedo error resulting from larger dia tyres? Your wheels now rotate fewer number of times therefore showing fewer KMs.
There are online calculators (given elsewhere in this forum) that give you the error. For this change, I remember it was marginal (around 2% if I remember correctly).
Old 20th October 2013, 15:24   #24
BHPian

Initial Ownership experience of the Indigo eCS VX

Here's my initial impression of owning the eCS VX.
The car was delivered to us about 2 weeks ago. It's in my hometown, and I got a chance to drive it for about 2 days, amounting to 226 kms on the odo. in total, with 4 adults, during the entire usage.

Though much is already discussed in common knowledge domains, let me only mention things of interest (and also for the fact that I cannot write reviews):

1) Fuel consumption: The car has gulped down 11.33L for having driven 227kms (amounting to 20.03kmpl), which is above satisfactory, considering it was with 100% usage of the AC.

2) Drive: Is a paradigm shift from our replacement car (which was a 12.6yr old Indica, and I miss it sorely, yet). The power steering is very light, and so are the clutch pedal and gear shift. The gears slot in place now, in a "click"-like fashion. To keep it short, everything is rightly in place. Drive is very effortless in city/highways, with the engine easily cruising in the 1500rpm range.
Wishlist: They could've accommodated the Safari's accelerator pedal (the plastic pedal with the arc-like curvature). The small point of contact makes it comfortable to drive on the highways, compared with the flat pedal, which looks like a carry-over from the regular Indica's/Indigo's.

3) Safety: The in-built immobilizer fob (RFID type) is a welcome change, compared with the after-market dangling key bunch. That, as well as the built-in reverse parking assistance helps. ABS is a thoughtful addition, though I did not, and do not want to test it, for now, hehe.

4) Interiors: It's the same roomy feeling that we had in the Indica. Nothing much to comment, apart from the front row seats, which are more upright, compared with the anti-submarine seats in the older Indica. The Storme too has such a setup, making me think it's the norm now. The glove box is no longer lockable, but is a mini-fridge now. Tested it to carry a 1/2 liter milk packet for nearly 70kms in coastal weather. Hence, declaring it as a useful feature, atleast to me, hehe. The glove box lid carries a storage rack within it, that can be used to store a few odds (currently, have placed the remote and FirstAid pouch in there).

5) Exteriors, Suspension: The external antenna is useful. Where the earlier antenna would buzz with weaker signals beyond around 30kms, this one receives sharp signals for more than double the distance. The outer rear-view mirrors have vertical markings, the regions beyond this line indicating the 3rd-lane. Possibly helpful in 6-lane roads, i guess. Alloy wheels look neat. The spare wheel is a steel rim. The (duo-float) suspension is surely good, and appeared to take almost every undulation of the road in it's stride. Our earlier Indica would emit thuds/shocks.

To summarize, the eCS is a well-packaged car. Of course, making this comment with a clear knowledge of "to each one, his own" saying. It does not carry the bells and whistles features that the competition can boast of (2-DIN entertainment system, steering wheel-mounted audio controls, EBD), but i'm more than happy with the minimalistic offerings, and also for the fact that every passing year, discrete changes are being introduced in the car, making it more robust than what it earlier was. And oh, the eV2 too has not been left out of these changes (except for the ABS).

Cheers.

Last edited by dkamath : 20th October 2013 at 15:28. Reason: typo errors rectified
dkamath is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th October 2013, 22:15   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrapunto View Post
Thanks for all the great info. Two quick questions though.

- Can I buy 4 (upsized) tyres (175/65- R14 in this case) or do I HAVE to buy all five?

- In case of a puncture, will it make my car unstable / unsafe with 165 tyes in one leg (from the stepney) and a 175 tyre in the other?

Thanks
For shorter runs - during puncture, its okay to have different tyres, but since the angular velocity of the two tyres (small diameter tyre will have higher rpm against the larger diameter tyre) will be different, the clutch assembly will be stressed and so will be the brake system.

Also please note that the latest generation cars with ESP and Traction Control will require disabling them with a small radius tyre, as different radius tyres can trigger several wrong instructions.

You must bring the car back to the same diameter tyres as soon as possible. No need to buy 5 tyres at one go because I am not too sure if the 5th one will fit into the spare tyre space in boot.

Last edited by i74js : 27th October 2013 at 22:21.
Old 4th March 2015, 10:59   #26
BHPian

Hi,
Thanks to Mr. Greenhorn for starting this thread.
Every Indian has travelled in an indica/indigo some or the other time in his life.
Most of our office cars are Indigo eCS. The eCS offers good fuel economy and is a very comfortable car. Sometimes after travelling for long distances when the engine gets hot, the driver opens the bonnet and allows it to cool as the car faces some problems while starting on a hot engine.
The indica eV2 also faces the same issue.
The CR4 is still a rare car when compared to the number of eCSs on our roads. Still failed to figure out major differences between the CR4 and the eCS, other than the fact that the CR4 is a BS4 engine, whereas the TDI is a BS3 engine. The CR4 model looks like a top end model TDI with alloy wheels and some chrome bits.
But an indigo does not come cheap. You have to shell out around 6 lakhs for the AC-PS model. The LX model, probably, comes without a Power Steering.
And in my entire life I have never come across a Petrol GLX model, so no idea about its MPFI engine.
Ashok Naik is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks