Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2011, 23:33   #46
BHPian

Re: 200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Those DRLs have definitely scaled up the front looks of your i20.
Where did you get these installed? What was the cost? What changes in wiring were made to install these DRLs?
Thank you. The positioning and fixing part i did it myself. Got the wiring and switch part done from a local car mechanic near my place.
I ordered them from dealextreme. Here is the link.
High Power White 2W 6-LED 6000K 50-Lumen Daytime Running Lamp/Lights for Car (Pair/DC 12V) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

23 dollars and its totally worth it. You don't need to make any changes in the wiring. You can just directly connect it to the battery and they will work. You can get an additional switch fitted so that you can have control on when you want them on or off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
The DRL looks great in the i20 and the white color of your car just accentuates the looks of it. Quite brilliant! I also like the pictures that you have uploaded a few posts earlier. Loved the positioning of the LTD sticker and the black&white frontal shot of the car. Wishing you many more happy miles in the car!
Thanks a lot. The LTD positioning actually has a flaw. The rear wiper goes over the lower part of the LTD sticker when turned on I like symmetry and just did not feel like putting it anywhere else. So thought i'll give it a try. I rarely use the rear wiper, and even after using it a couple of times so far, the sticker has held up well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
Nice pics.
As expected, the DRLs looks great.
Where did you fix the switch for the DRL?
All thanks to you. If i had not seen those DRL's on your car, I would have never bothered to get one myself. Thanks for all the help.
I have put the switch in the same place where i have the light alignment switch and the illumination control switch. I had one more free slot, so put it there. Had to make some cutting to actually make it fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
Hi Kimified,

I have driven a friend's 5 gear i-20 CRDI top end model ( approx 1.5 yr. old) & loved the wonderful pulling power of the car. I think, it is way better in comparision to Swift DDIS. Also I felt, on highway the engine is very refined & hard to hear, again better than Swift DDIS. But the AC was pathetic to say the least. Enquired with my friend about the AC problem. He said, it is there from day 1. He had lodged a complaint with Hyndai after which AC of the car was serviced several times by Hyundai, but no improvement was observed.

You seem to be quite satisfied with AC of your car.Newer owners of i-20 too are happy with AC performance of the car. Has Hyundai done any improvement on AC of new i-20 cars??? If that is so, then I feel the weakest point of the car is gone.

Have you driven new Verna CRDI 1.6. If yes, can you compare the power delivery & high speed cruising abilities of the car with your i-20. Many new Verna reviews suggest that it can not handle speed in excess of 120 kmph with confidence. Due to it's soft suspension, it gives uncomfortable riding experience to the rear pasengers too. Any such issues with your i-20.

I have booked one Verna 1.6 CRDI, thus the querries. Kindly reply at the earliest.

Any one having experience of both i-20 CRDI & Verna fluidic CRDI may contribute plz.
Yes. The engine is an absolute joy. Regarding the AC, its been 9 months and there are not many occasions that i have cribbed about the cooling. Yes, When you park it in sunlight for a couple of hours. It takes quite sometime to cool. But on most occasions when i have been on long drives with 4 or 5 people onboard, i haven't seen a single person complain about the cooling. Infact, there are times when i keep the ACC to 20 degrees and recirculation mode and people say its too cold and force me to reduce it.This can be because of the Bangalore weather and may also be because i have the darkest tints on. (The 3M CS 5). I usually drive to office early mornings and come back when the sun is about to go down. So, i might not have seen the ineffectiveness that many people complain about. But, whenever i have used in the afternoons, its been pretty fine. And i don't know if there have been changes made internally , But i noticed that the AC vents on the newer i20's have been changed (From the old horizontal ones to the vertical ones).

The weakest point is not the AC but the steering rattle that many people have.

Yes. I have test driven the verna 1.6 Crdi. The NVH levels are on par or a little better than the i20. I felt the power delivery is a lot more linear on the Verna than on my i20. The lag feel is little lesser. I expected it to pull much more than what i saw (I don't know where all those extra BHP's are gone). Its undoubtedly fast, but did not feel like 128 BHP.And i did not drive it high speeds, the top i reached was 90kmph. Felt pretty solid at that speed.

I do a Bangalore - Shimoga quite often. I used to drive the swift vxi before. And contrary to what most people would prefer, I would prefer the i20 over the swift anyday. I don't want to sound like a i20 fan boy, but the power on tap in the i20 is just brilliant. I usually cruise around 130 - 140 on the GQ and i haven't felt it to be unstable anytime. Yes, the steering is light and takes getting used to. It weights up a little at higher speeds. But ones you are used to it, I seriously did not have any "Boat like" feel. I have done 180 (odo reading) a couple of times too
I don't know about the rear bench. I haven't tried it in either cars.
Verna is a really good car and offers great value for money. All the best.
Old 30th August 2011, 01:43   #47
BHPian

Hey Kimified, a little late, but congrats on the beast!

I have a Nov '10 model and have clocked 22k kms on her so far so can understand the joy you get on the open roads with the i20 crdi!

One thing I miss is a good audio setup in the vehicle. The stock system is okay, but lacks depth. Could you share a little information about the ease of adding just speakers + Amp?
What are the mounting dimensions of the front components?
6.5" Midbass + 1" Tweeters?
and the rear is 6.5 Co-Ax right?
What about the mounting depth?

Also, would it be possible to mount a sub in a fiberglass enclosure against the side? I need the space for luggage on longer trips.

Thanks!
Old 31st August 2011, 10:49   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyking
Hey Kimified, a little late, but congrats on the beast!

I have a Nov '10 model and have clocked 22k kms on her so far so can understand the joy you get on the open roads with the i20 crdi!

One thing I miss is a good audio setup in the vehicle. The stock system is okay, but lacks depth. Could you share a little information about the ease of adding just speakers + Amp?
What are the mounting dimensions of the front components?
6.5" Midbass + 1" Tweeters?
and the rear is 6.5 Co-Ax right?
What about the mounting depth?

Also, would it be possible to mount a sub in a fiberglass enclosure against the side? I need the space for luggage on longer trips.

Thanks!
Hey. Thank you.
Yup. The stock ICE just lacks depth and the bass.
You can change to components in the front and an amp. The dimensions you have mentioned are right. I don't know about the 'mounting depth' part though.
But I would advise you to change the HU too. The stock HU just isn't sufficiently good to drive a good set of comps and a sub. The I20 can easily fit any 2 din HU available without many alterations. Check that option out.
And tweeters, you want them in the door pad itself ? You can place them outside and at different angles to get a better sound.
Yes. The sub can be fit against the wall in the boot so that you have good space left for luggage.

If you are planning to retain the HU, you need to add the level converter, I have the level converter with me (used it when I had the stock HU for sometime ). Let me know if you need it.
Old 11th November 2011, 12:05   #49
BHPian

Hi Kimified. Excellent write up man. Nice post. Congrats for the car as well. The car definitely deserves this write up!
The accessories that you have put so far, I guess, Hyundai will also think to put them as standard equipment and sell the car at even higher price in an "Extra Premium Hatchback" segment.
How did you get the TeamBHP stickers? I tried ordering it from the stores section of this site, but my payment process is cancelled at the last moment. I am using my debit card for the payment. Though 1 Re. has been debited from my account, I was not able to place the order successfully. Could you please help me in this regards?
Thanks
Old 19th November 2011, 16:59   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateDrive
Hi Kimified. Excellent write up man. Nice post. Congrats for the car as well. The car definitely deserves this write up!
The accessories that you have put so far, I guess, Hyundai will also think to put them as standard equipment and sell the car at even higher price in an "Extra Premium Hatchback" segment.
How did you get the TeamBHP stickers? I tried ordering it from the stores section of this site, but my payment process is cancelled at the last moment. I am using my debit card for the payment. Though 1 Re. has been debited from my account, I was not able to place the order successfully. Could you please help me in this regards?
Thanks
Hey. Sorry for the late reply. I had not noticed your post at all. My friend asked me for a link to this thread and I came here and noticed your post. You should have quoted me

Thank a lot for all your kind words. Regarding the team bhp stickers, I don't think you can get them from a debit card. I remember using my credit card around an year ago and paying through PayPal .

Can you just post your query in the the official teambhp sticker spotting thread (its a standard thread in the hot threads page - opening page of team bhp). I think you would get details about the exact process there and if there are any updated regarding the modes through which you can get them. Cheers
Kimified is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2011, 16:14   #51
BHPian

Hey Kimified, does your Asta have a remote for the ICE?
I have a Sept 11 Sportz CRDi 5 speed and there is a remote for the ICE (apart from the steering mounted controls) but it doesn't seem to be working. I checked whether the remote is faulty but that is not the case.
During the first service, I mentioned to the SA about the remote not working to which he replied saying that no remote is given for the Sportz and Asta models as they have steering mounted controls. Am in a fix regarding this
Old 22nd November 2011, 20:05   #52
BHPian

Hi Kimified ;

Why don't you try out dieseltronics which I have installed in my car about 10days back and enjoy its in gear drivability , you will really love the way the car responds in P1 settings , your gear downshift as well as ability to cruise on higher gears will definitely improve
kkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2011, 10:23   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkat View Post
Hi Kimified ;

Why don't you try out dieseltronics which I have installed in my car about 10days back and enjoy its in gear drivability , you will really love the way the car responds in P1 settings , your gear downshift as well as ability to cruise on higher gears will definitely improve
Hi!

Could you please share the price of and some more info of this box.

Pete's PSI Tuning box has not yet released for 6-Speed i20s.

I would be interested to get one if its compatible with a 6-Speed version.

Old 23rd November 2011, 10:45   #54
BHPian

The Arm Rest!

I always wanted to have the arm rest in the car, I generally have only one hand on the steering and the other on the gear lever even in peak city traffic. Now with the arm rest, it makes it so much more easier and comfortable.

I searched around in JC road for the arm rest and most of them had only 2 kind’s of arm rest. The one which comes specifically made for the swift and the other is the one i got. The swift specific arm rest wasn’t wide enough and looked cheaper compared to this. It did not even have an inclination adjuster like this one.

I struggled for close to 45 mins thinking on where to get it fixed, I just could not find the right/comfortable place. But after trying out all possible ways, I decided on this one. It goes pretty close to the gear lever when you slide the top part out. But gives you a gap of 3 or 4 cm’s to the gear lever when the gear is in the 4th gear position.

hi kim
i'm a proud father of an adopted crde magna as well !
The front center arm rest is interesting and seems to be very functional too. could you please send me the shop's address and phone details.

thanks
WC
Old 23rd November 2011, 12:44   #55
BHPian

Wild Child, Kim
Me too very much moved to install the Arm rest. Any places in Chennai and pictures of the installed Armrest will really help.
Old 23rd November 2011, 19:17   #56
BHPian

Hi aa asif ;

It cost about 19K and yes it is very much available for the 6 speed avatar if you are in B'lore just check out with Street beat above PVR Cinemas in Forum Mall
Old 25th November 2011, 21:33   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freewheelin_KD View Post
I have a Sept 11 Sportz CRDi 5 speed and there is a remote for the ICE (apart from the steering mounted controls) but it doesn't seem to be working.
I did not get any remote for the stock HU when i got my car. I don't think you get it on any i20's. Be it the Era or the Asta.
Does the remote have a Hyundai logo on it. Can you please share the pic here so that we can get a better idea ?
I have remote for the Pioneer player i have in the car now. I rarely use it. So, its always stashed away in the glove box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkat View Post
Hi Kimified ;

Hey Hi,

Which version of the i20 do you have ? Is it the 6 gear version. I had thought about the pete box sometime back. But, they did not have one for this version. Can i have a look at yours once ? I need to check the difference it makes and if it is of any help at all. I want bang for that much buck you see Does it have an effect on the 0 -100 timings ? and/or does it give an extra punch in the top end ? I am noob when it comes to tuning boxes. Please bare with me for the noob questions. I will surely get it done if i can feel its worth. Thanks for the suggestion. I shall go check it out at Kormangala. I stay very close to that place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild child View Post
The Arm Rest!

hi kim
i'm a proud father of an adopted crde magna as well !
The front center arm rest is interesting and seems to be very functional too. could you please send me the shop's address and phone details.
thanks
WC

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicselva View Post
Wild Child, Kim
Me too very much moved to install the Arm rest. Any places in Chennai and pictures of the installed Armrest will really help.
Trust me. Arm rest is probably the best 1k i have spent on the car. Have been using it for close to 8 months now without any problem . I like the fact that it is wide and it goes very close to the gear lever. You don't even have to lift your hand to make the gear change. I like the fact that it looks well built and doesn't make the interior look cheap. It makes life so much more simpler. I drove a top end Innova recently and i couldn't stop myself from cribbing about how useless that arm rest really was. There is no way you can reach the gear lever if you rest your left arm on it.

Here you go. Its JC road. Point B on the map . I really don't remember the name of the shop. But i remember that it had "Indian" in it. You will see it if you go there. You can see Urvashi theater on the bottom right corner of the map. That should give you a neat idea of where it is.

200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !-armrest.jpg

PS : I have installed a bluetooth module for the Pioneer player. I see that there is not even a single review on Team bhp on the BTB 200. So, brace yourself for a complete review of it very soon.

I have also got a Camera installed. Works beautifully. Whats different ? Well, I have got a switch by which i can turn on the Cam even when the car is moving in the forward direction. Not a functionally great thing, but its just fun to look at people behind you on the big screen when you are struck in those crazy jams and got nothing to do. Oh well, you can use it while parking as well.

I am still on the lookout for a good Spoiler. I checked out JC road last Sunday. Could not find good ones. Will try again sometime soon. I am on the lookout for a very particular type of Spoiler. Not the one like the OEM which leaves a gap. I need a small/thick/ subtle one which continues with the roof. Similar to the one on the polo. I have seen it on a few i20's in Bangalore. Infact, I saw one today morning too. So, I know its available somewhere in Bangalore. Lets see if i can find it!

Last edited by Kimified : 25th November 2011 at 21:41.
Old 25th November 2011, 21:57   #58
BHPian

Kimified,
Your experience with the i20 seems to be very good. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your write up and I must say it is very well composed and informative.

I have few queries related to i20 and I hope you will help me in clearing my doubt (I am on the verge of deciding a diesel hatchback) :

- I have heard spare parts availability of i20 can be bothersome as the unit is not manufactured in India. How far is it true ? If you can throw some light to it.

- Service interval for CRDi cars (5K kms) is quite close compared to Multijets(15K kms). Why is it so ?
Old 26th November 2011, 00:06   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freewheelin_KD View Post
I have a Sept 11 Sportz CRDi 5 speed and there is a remote for the ICE (apart from the steering mounted controls) but it doesn't seem to be working. I checked whether the remote is faulty but that is not the case.
During the first service, I mentioned to the SA about the remote not working to which he replied saying that no remote is given for the Sportz and Asta models as they have steering mounted controls. Am in a fix regarding this
Hi Freewheelin,
I am planning to buy i 20 CRDI Sports. I have asked a few people about its mileage but I have been getting different figures more so from people who own 6 gear older version of i 20. Since you have the latest 5 gear version perhaps you can help me. Could you please tell me the mileage of your car. Thanks.
Old 26th November 2011, 00:48   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
Kimified,
Your experience with the i20 seems to be very good. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your write up and I must say it is very well composed and informative.

I have few queries related to i20 and I hope you will help me in clearing my doubt (I am on the verge of deciding a diesel hatchback) :

- I have heard spare parts availability of i20 can be bothersome as the unit is not manufactured in India. How far is it true ? If you can throw some light to it.

- Service interval for CRDi cars (5K kms) is quite close compared to Multijets(15K kms). Why is it so ?
Yeah. 3 days more for the first anniversary and i have enjoyed every bit of it I did a 300km highway run last weekend and it still put a grin on my face when i floored it.

1) Where did you get this information from ? I have never faced any issues with the parts. Not that i have replaced/sourced many parts. But, whenever i have done, I did not find it bothersome at all. The only part they made me wait was for the illumination control. But then, many service centers weren't even aware that such a part existed. All thanks to Wildon that we all know about it. They told it will take 3 days after i make the payment. Exactly 3 days later, i get a call that its here. No fuss at all. Maybe you can check with Wildon too. He can give you a very clear picture on it.

2) Its 10k for Crdi and not 5k. 10k/6 month intervals. Yeah. Its lesser than the Punto's 15k / 1 year period which AFAIK has the greatest service interval period.
Even the Swift Vdi has a service interval of 10k. I think 10k service is fair enough.

As to why its lesser than what the Punto's is, all i can say is Hyundai (and most of the others) make a lot of money through service. Shorter intervals -> greater money. I don't see any other rationale behind it

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks