Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2011, 16:46   #1
BHPian

200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !

When your neighbor tells you that your eyes have become red on the day your new car is delivered and you give that sheepish smile to him which means “I-was-so-excited-that-i-haven’t-slept-for-the-last-two-days” , When you wait at the service center for 4 hours supervising what is being done to your car but you say ‘You don’t have time’ when your mom asks you to get something from the shop next door. When the only thing on your mind on the 20th of every month is to think about the next gadget going into the car in 10 days time! When some friend of yours says ‘what’s so special about a car man. Its all the same, same 4 wheels and same 4 doors’, you give a strange look which means “Ah-there-you-go. I-found-that-1-in-1000-person”. When you don’t clean your room for weeks together but clean the car for 2 hours every week punctually. Thats when a car is no more a car, Its a part of you ! I hate people who treat cars as just objects, I think the way anyone maintains his/her car tells a lot about the person in general.

Yes. I have driven many cars over the last 6 years. But its a completely different thing when you own one and is used by you alone.(Not the family one). The difference with the family one is that you are apprehensive about tinkering with the car with a fear that someone else in the family using the car might not like it. This is the first car i have owned and yes, I am living a dream!

The selection :

Budget of 7 -8 lakh. I have a thing for powerful cars. All the cars i fantasize about in any category have to be the most powerful or close to the most powerful in that segment. It had to be a Diesel. So, I20 / Punto were the only cars i really considered. Polo, I was just put off with the 3 pot engine and bare minimum features. The TD car of the polo also had very high NVH levels.
It finally came down to Punto 90HP and the i20 Asta Diesel, Drove both of them, I was just sold to the i20′s engine and the interiors. It also came with all the bells and whistles. To be really frank, If punto came with i20′s engine and interiors, I would not even have considered the i20. I was ready to compromise on the below par service network of Fiat too. In the end, it all turned out to be a lot easier process than what i thought it would be.

The Real thing!

This being my first thread on TBHP, Please pardon me if there are any mistakes. I have posted in other threads, but this is my first thread. Frankly, with the amount of data on TBHP, anytime i think of something, The search button is good enough and there won't be a need to start a new thread. Pardon me also for many bad quality pictures, Blame it on my phone. I generally don't carry a separate camera and all the random shots are on my phone only.

Now, My Machine has done 10.7k Kilometers in 7 months that i have owned it. Loved every bit of it. There are many extensive reviews on the forum about the i20 diesel, so ill try and add whatever i can to help potential buyers and owners of the i20.

In a nut shell (Team BHP ishtyle)

What i like :

-Stunning Engine. The torque and the turbo boost is addictive. nuf said.
-Nice exterior and an amazingly laid out interior. I think the interior rivals almost all cars upto the Civic/Cruze territory.
-It does all this at 3.5 Rs/km. After using only petrol cars all through , It puts a smile on my face when i enter a petrol bunk now. And yeah, with the petrol price hike, it puts a even bigger smile (NOM to all petrol owners. I am just human)
-Tons of gadgets for an hatchback. Makes me feel special and some of them are super convenient. (Read foldable ORVM’s and steering controls)
-Space. Looks big on the inside. Once you start using the car, you actually start appreciating the space inside. I also like the wide stance from the front, they could have put this front end on the new verna instead of putting the i10′s front end, would have made that car look much better.

What i don't like :

-Steering feedback. Could have been a little better at high speeds, Yes, it does feel lifeless.
-When i brought the i20, i thought it won’t be as common on the roads as the swift. But at the rate at which it is selling, The premium tag is taking a beating. But i kinda like it, It shows that India is growing and maturing as a market.
-8.5 lakh is a little overpriced. Considering the same version of the petrol i20 costs 7 lakh.But trust me, you won’t crib after you use it. (*Unless you have that dreaded steering rattle)
- The rear seat leg space isn’t great. The rear seat is wide, but legroom could have been better. Not that i am cribbing coz i never sit there. But, I have an unusual driving position, my recliner is generally between 130 to 150 degrees and more than what i have seen most people use it at. Add to it, i like driving with my arms a bit stretched out, so i put the seat quite far back. So every time there is someone sitting behind me, i keep asking them if they are still breathing after every 30 mins, I think it makes it claustrophobic in there.

My experience on the common issues reported here with the i20 :

Many i20′s have a steering rattle problem and a weak AC. Touch wood, I am free of both these problems till date. I drive it majorly on neat city roads and express highways, maybe thats why i haven’t got the problem. Of the very few times i have driven on bad roads, i have made it a point to notice any steering rattle noise, but haven’t found anything yet. The AC with the FATC at 20 degrees and circulation mode in Bangalore heat is really efficient. Yes, park it in sunlight, it takes a longgg time to cool the cabin after you turn the ac on. Once the cooling is done, frankly, I did not find anything to complain about. When i was in the service center for the 2nd service, My service advisor did agree that he has received quite a few complaints about the steering rattle.

Bored after reading all the above like a news paper. Let me try and make it interesting with some pics. So, here you go.

29th November 2010 :
The Journey begins. The day i got my Machine. My first car. Was so damn excited. Panda comes home!

200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !-imag0266.jpg

3 days after i got the car. I was testing for top speed on Nice road. Run in period. whats that ? Anyway, I made sure i did not cross 2.5k rpm in any gear. Does a 150 at 2.5 rpm in 6th Gear. Tops off at 185 kmph which i later tested after the run in. Does a 170 without fuss, but takes a hell lot of time from 170 to 185. To go beyond that, you need a pete box and the Ehre-Lessie VW test track with a 5 km arrow straight road and a veyron pushing you from the back!

200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !-img_9550.jpg

2 weeks after i got the car, Tints go on.Its the darkest available in 3M, the CS5. After using it for the last 6 months, I would advise you not to go beyond CS20. CS5 is just too dark. Won’t be a problem in the morning, but at night, if you are not used to it, Its literally blind driving.
The window roll up module also goes on. Be advised, the generic scorpio (from autoCop) make roll up module does not work with the driver side window. I heard it happens only with the i20 and works fine on all other cars. There are many new models in the market which are made compatible with the i20. Get those and not the scorpio one i got. Its a bit irritating to roll up the driver window even after getting this module fitted. You feel cheated. But the other 3 windows work just fine.

200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !-img_9560.jpg

The much talked about 6th gear. Mighty useful on the highway, Makes the engine noiseless and smooth. Useless in the city though. Even the 5th Gear is useless in the city. Of all the gears, i love the 3rd, 4th and the 5th. The pulling in 4th and 5th gear is really impressive in the power band. However, The in gear accelaration isn’t great. For the number frenzy : it does a 0 – 100 in about 13 seconds which i guess is the fastest for any diesel hatchback in India and 2nd or 3rd among all the hatchbacks (Behind the polo 1.6 petrol which does it a second faster). The turbo kick is linear and not like in the Getz or the Verna crdi which charge like mad bulls beyond 1.8 rpm. Its more saner, although i would have liked it the other way round. The turbo lag makes its presence felt when there is really heavy traffic and you are in no mood to shift gears frequently. Having driven only petrol cars previous to this, If i was asked one major difference between the petrol and the diesel, it has to be downshifting. Learning the art of keeping it in the power band is also tricky.

200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !-img_9576.jpg

The Blue lighting adds zing and makes it more pleasing to the eyes. Well, i was just trying to take a pic with all the lights on.

200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !-img_9571.jpg

Did a Bangalore – Shimoga when it was still in the run in period. My first long drive in this car, loved it. Shimoga is my native and have done this route many times in a swift, but the Turbo and the additional power on tap in the i20 made it real fun!

First service :

Nothing much done. I insisted on an oil change, but my SA was completely against it. He said it was not needed at all, so i decided to give it a skip.
Was there at the service center for the entire period. Was fun seeing them work on my car. Sipping tea and seeing people work on your car is something i cherish every time. Thanks to all the little pleasures of life.
2 hours, I was out of there. The bill was zero. The SA asked me to get an 3M Underbody coating done for 2.5k odd, i was skeptical about how good they will do it and told him i will get it done sometime later.

Got the headlights upgraded to Philips 100/90. (All the costs mentioned at the end of this post). The stock headlights are just ain’t sufficient for highway driving. Was mighty impressed with the 90/100′s, the throw is impressive. Also, The B-Pillar goes Black.

200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !-imag02821.jpg
Kimified is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2011, 17:18   #2
BHPian

Re: 200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !

Congrats on the ride Kimified!! Must say, that's quite a detailed report, was a fun read! For the 20th of this month, get a camera, just for your ride's sake...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimified View Post
When you wait at the service center for 4 hours supervising what is being done to your car but you say ‘You don’t have time’ when your mom asks you to get something from the shop next door. When the only thing on your mind on the 20th of every month is to think about the next gadget going into the car in 10 days time! When some friend of yours says ‘what’s so special about a car man. Its all the same, same 4 wheels and same 4 doors’, you give a strange look which means “Ah-there-you-go. I-found-that-1-in-1000-person”.
Thats when a car is no more a car, Its a part of you ! I hate people who treat cars as just objects, I think the way anyone maintains his/her car tells a lot about the person in general.

Last edited by avinash_m : 13th June 2011 at 17:21.
Old 13th June 2011, 17:22   #3
BHPian

My first real long drive. Bangalore – Goa! The first pic was somewhere in between Hubli and Ankola. Bangalore – Hubli drive becomes boring after a couple of hours on the wonderful GQ. Enter NH 63. Hubli to Ankola .A wonderful misty morning,Thick forest on either side of the road, Hardly any vehicles in sight, Edward maya playing in the background, A bit of Ghat section to keep me on my toes, I Just could not have scripted it better. A more detailed travelouge some other time.

200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !-img_1058.jpg

200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !-img_2496.jpg

200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !-img_24291.jpg

I was quite happy with the way the car handled after having read a lot about i20′s handling being really bad. Maybe i had lowered my reference level after reading the reviews. Yeah, The steering is too light, But i did not find it to be behave odd, one should get used to it. Its a breeze to drive in the city. Now, i know you would be looking out for mileage figures after such a long drive. Don’t fret, The mileage figures are given in full detail at the end.

The ICE Bug :

It would never be long before the ICE bug bite me. Considering the amount of time i spend in a car and considering that its only going to increase with increased traffic, I needed some entertainment in the car and the stock music player just did not suffice. I have plans of owning this car for atleast 3 years, so thought ill give the music player the best upgrade that i can afford so that it lasts for the 3 years without being outdated.
I did the ICE upgrade in 2 stages. Had a 60k budget for 2 stages. First stage is where in i get a good set of component speakers in the front and a good amplifier to drive it. Head Unit / Woofer and rear speaker upgrade was in the second stage.
So, I went about trying to get the best sounding (for me) components for the front, Auditioned a few sets of JBL\polk and infinity. I always have a soft corner for infinity and think they sound the best. I am no audiophile and i can’t make out the fine nuances. So settled with one of the best infinity components available in the market. The Infinity Kappa 60.9 CS. Sounded good for me. Amplifier was an easy choice to make, the tried and trusted JBL GTO 1004 !. Anyone i asked, recommended me this amplifier. Made it all the more easier choice to make. I have a thing for friday night installs, Gives you peace of mind knowing that saturday is an off and also gives you the whole weekend to try out the upgrades. The entire setup made me poorer by 29k. The exact split up at the end of the post. So here you go.

This is what i wrote down, I am a noob when it comes to ICE, so wanted to understand the connections and the way it is done. All weekend spent in trying to place the tweeters in different positions trying to find the best sounding position for it.

200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !-imag0378.jpg

200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !-imag0356.jpg

200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !-imag0360.jpg

200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !-imag0361.jpg

200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !-imag0362.jpg

200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !-imag0373.jpg

On one of those days where in you wash your car for close to and hour and a half and take a pic at the end to see how good you have washed it.

200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !-imag0345.jpg

On one of those days where you wash your car to make it look brand new and it rains in the evening undoing all the hard work. As a consolation, you take a pic coz it looks good with all the water droplets!

200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !-imag0525.jpg

Then came the Wayanad trip and a Mysore trip on succesive weekends. Having worked in Mysore previously, i used to do a Bangalore – Mysore drive every weekend. It was nostalgic and fun driving back to Mysore. This pic was somewhere in Mysore.

200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !-imag0428.jpg

The ICE Bug (Part 2)

To be brutally frank, I just did not like the sound after the first stage of the ICE upgrade. No sub woofer and a below par HU made it sound like how it would sound in an Auto (No offence to any autowallah). It was too shrill due to the absence of the Sub woofer.
Having spent 30k on it, i was pissed. So wanted to cover all bases in the next upgrade. I put up queries on the ICE expert section here and got some really good inputs from experts here.

So, Time for the second stage of the upgrade. I went to Thoqueer in Kormanagala after seeing some really good reviews about his installs. The first thing he suggested was an Head Unit upgrade, He said I was not doing justice having such good speakers with a great amp and driving them from a below par HU.

So thought long and hard about my options, It had to be a double Din player, It could either be a touch screen fully loaded HU or a normal double din unit without the touch screen. The price difference of 18k was too high. But i thought it could well be a all in one device in a car , A full fledged DVD player, Bluetooth for Phone , Rear view camera options and an option to load it with maps. Add to it, The Pioneer 4290 looked stunning, i thought about the JVC 836 too, It had a ton more options at the same price point and came with an inbuilt Bluetooth. But somehow every expert i asked, Preferred the Pioneer over the JVC.

The sub woofer was a tough thing to choose. A lot of research went in. I did not want to loose the entire boot space for the sub woofer, so a detachable compact sub woofer was what i was looking for. I auditioned a few sub woofers before settling with Infinity kappa 120.9. Like i said, i have a soft corner for Infinity! These sub woofers are supposed to give really good SQ and after using it for close to 2 months, i love them so much that i have started hating my ear phones (Creative EP 630) and the creative 2.1 speakers that i have at home!

So here you go.

200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !-imag0464.jpg

200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !-imag0466.jpg

200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !-imag0473.jpg

200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !-dsc07074.jpg

200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !-dsc07077.jpg

200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !-dsc07080.jpg

200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !-dsc07083.jpg

This is the Hyundai – Pioneer interface to make the steering controls compitable with the HU. Its basically a interface which converts the sterering inputs to pioneer radio signals. For people wondering what happens to the default LCD display, it will go into the source off mode and show the Trip meters with time and outside temparature only.

200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !-dsc07084.jpg

200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !-dsc07107.jpg

200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !-imag0497.jpg

About the Pioneer 4290 HU :

Really good Head unit. The touch screen works like a charm and the SQ is also pretty good. The only thing i hate about the player is the read times, A 16 gig pen drive takes close to 35 seconds to read. Considering that you switch off the car at every signal in Bangalore, it becomes a real pain. But only saving grace, The ipod read times are not that bad, reads my 8 gig Ipod touch in 10 seconds. The iPod integration with the head unit is really awesome. I could not have done it better even if i wanted to customise it to my requirement.
The video resolution on the Pio 4290 is pretty fine, but if you are used to the latest gizmos with awesome resolutions, you will be disappointed. Overall, Nothing to crib about.

I have the illumination control installed, Its basically used to reduce the brightness of all the lights on the dashboard, I found it actually reduces the brightness of the 7 inch screen too. Makes it really handy when you are driving at night and don’t want the player’s screen to be shouting in your face saying “Look-i-am-here” .

The glove box light and the Illumination control switch are things which Hyundai should have given in the first place. To make it worse, People at the service centers aren’t even told that there are parts like these, Thanks to Team BHP and people like wildon, People like us know it.
Kimified is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2011, 17:33   #4
BHPian

Congrats on buying the quickest diesel hatch on sale, and most importantly, your dream

Where did you service you car?
Old 13th June 2011, 18:06   #5

Awesome setup man. kindly let us know the price break-up.
Old 13th June 2011, 18:26   #6
BHPian

Congrats buddy... way to go.

"Got the headlights upgraded to Philips 100/90. (All the costs mentioned at the end of this post)" - where is this?
Old 13th June 2011, 18:31   #7
BHPian

Some random shots. These were after i got my 5 year old camera repaired recently. I have put the same set of pictures on the Team-BHP stickers thread too.

Name:  dsc07089_opt.jpg
Views: 20196
Size:  154.9 KB

200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !-dsc07093_opt.jpg

200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !-dsc07096_opt.jpg

200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !-dsc07102_opt.jpg

The Arm Rest!

I always wanted to have the arm rest in the car, I generally have only one hand on the steering and the other on the gear lever even in peak city traffic. Now with the arm rest, it makes it so much more easier and comfortable.

I searched around in JC road for the arm rest and most of them had only 2 kind’s of arm rest. The one which comes specifically made for the swift and the other is the one i got. The swift specific arm rest wasn’t wide enough and looked cheaper compared to this. It did not even have an inclination adjuster like this one.

I struggled for close to 45 mins thinking on where to get it fixed, I just could not find the right/comfortable place. But after trying out all possible ways, I decided on this one. It goes pretty close to the gear lever when you slide the top part out. But gives you a gap of 3 or 4 cm’s to the gear lever when the gear is in the 4th gear position.

Since i know many people would be curious to know how i have got it done, I have taken pictures from all possible angles, If you want more pictures or details. Please shoot.

200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !-dsc07113.jpg

200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !-dsc07115.jpg

200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !-dsc07116.jpg

200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !-dsc07117.jpg

200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !-dsc07118.jpg

200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !-dsc07119.jpg

That's the knob to change the inclination and the height. Has only a little range, +- 5 degrees from the flat position.

200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !-dsc07120.jpg

The best part about getting it fixed here, I just lost one cup holder . I was particular about not loosing the last cup holder since its the only option that anyone sitting in the back will have. So with this, all my criteria’s were satisfied. I like the way it looks too. For the price it comes, its a real steal!

One drawback, Like most of you would have guessed after seeing the pics, Handbrake. You can actually pull the hand brake up with the arm rest in place, but its a struggle. I generally put the arm rest up and then bring the handbrake up. Its never caused me too much of inconvenience since i use the hand brake only when i park and it becomes a routine to pull the arm rest up before getting the hand brakes in place. Just a matter of getting used to.

'Kitna deta hai' Figures :

I have a very handy application on Android which keeps a track of all the figures and fill up’s and gives you more statistical data than you can think of. Its called aCar and if you have an Android, Please try it out. Only data you need to enter is the fill up cost and price/ltr. Everything else is optional. You can even enter the petrol station name if you wish and it gives you a drop down menu the next time you want to enter the name(Handy when you practically want to know which petrol bunk gives you better mileage readings).

I have not *Rooted* my phone and hence it doesn’t have a screenshot application. These pics are the best i could do.

Note : I kept a complete track of all the figures from when i got the new car, But i failed to add data when i went to the Goa trip and the wayanad trip after that. I started keeping a tab again after 5k kilometers. Most times i drive the car, its always spirited driving. I drive with a light foot only on days when i have no mood or when i am too tired. So i bet you should get better mileage figures with more sober driving.

This was the initial fill up's. That 48.5 rs/ltr was my first fill up. Thought ill try out shell! I never knew shell diesel was priced so high. I still remember the look on the guy's face at the station when i told DIESEL

200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !-dsc07138.jpg

A summary of the Initial fill up's

200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !-dsc07140.jpg

These are fill up's after 5k. Have not missed anything after this. That 16.3 kmpl is the highest i have ever got. One of those days where i was really tired to do any spirited driving.

200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !-dsc07144.jpg

The summaries of figures after 5k Kilometers.

200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !-dsc07146.jpg

200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !-dsc07147.jpg

I have done these outstation trips so far :

Bangalore - Shimoga : 2 times (1200 km)
Bangalore - Davangere (600 km)
Bangalore - Goa (1500 km)
Bangalore - wayanad (800 km)
Bangalore - Mysore (300 km)

That's around 4.5 k Kilometers of the overall 10.7k on highways. Around 40% of the total.

Second Service :

These were pics during the second service. Engine oil changed, Air and Diesel filters changed, Wheel Balancing / Alignment / Rotation done. Interior cleaning and Exterior cleaning with waxing done (Costed a cool 1.3k for the wash).

200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !-imag0567.jpg

Name:  imag0573.jpg
Views: 18935
Size:  33.3 KB

200 days of Living a Dream. My i20 Diesel Asta !-imag0575.jpg

I did not have many problems. Some minor ones.
- The brake pedal was loose and it was a 2 min fix.
- The first to second gear shift was not as smooth as the other gears and i sometimes also had a slotting problem. Its still not as smooth as i would liked it after the service.

The total bill was 5.3k including the 1.3k for the wash. 4k for service is pretty decent i guess considering i used to pay almost the same for a petrol Swift.

The Complete Spending List :

The On road price : 8.4 lakh.

The ICE Split up :

Component speakers - Infinity kappa 60.9 cs : 11.5k
Jbl gto1004 : 10k
Aduison connection wiring kit : 4k
Scocshe level converter : 1.5 k
Others : 1k
Pioneer AVH 4290 HU : 28k
Infinity kappa 120.9 cs Sub woofer : 10k
Steering mounted control interface : 4k

Total : 70 k (Some figures are rounded off. +- 1k should be the deal)

Other Accessories :

Auto window rollup -- 1.7 k
Sunfilm -- 3k
Air freshner -- 0.3 k
Horn -- 1.4 k
Door stratch protection -- 0.4k
Headlights 100 / 90 -- .3 k
Harness Circuit -- .6k
B pillar blackened -- .2k
IND number plate -- .8k
Tyre polish , wax, micro fibre cloth -- 1k
Arm Rest -- 1.2k

Total : 11k (again rounded off)

Services :

First : Nill
Second : 5.3K

Total : 5.3K

Total cost of Ownership : 9.26 Lakh (Excluding the fuel)

Upgrades in Mind : (I face a risk of being killed by my sis and mom)

- Tyre upsize. Infact, i wanted to upsize the tires when i got the car to 195/55 R15′s with new alloys. But having read experts here say that there won’t be any major difference compared to the appolo accelere’s i get as standard. I thought ill get it done after these tires wear out.

- A pete box. Heard people telling me that there is no pete available for the 6 gear version of the i20 diesel. Hope they do design one before i plan to get it done !

- Leather seats. Not anytime soon.

Ah. well, That's about it. Any suggestion/Queries are welcome. I finish by saying i'll do my best to keep this thread updated. If you actually read the entire thing from the begging to the end, you have exemplary patience. Thank you. If you ended up here by just scrolling through the pics, Congrats, You just saved 20 mins of your time

Last edited by Kimified : 13th June 2011 at 18:44.
Old 13th June 2011, 22:01   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
Congrats on the ride Kimified!! Must say, that's quite a detailed report, was a fun read! For the 20th of this month, get a camera, just for your ride's sake...

Thank you. Yeah. Planning on buying a new camera in the near future

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
Congrats on buying the quickest diesel hatch on sale, and most importantly, your dream

Where did you service you car?
Thank you. Service it at the Mission road advaith service center. Any specific reason you asked me ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilyinblue View Post
Awesome setup man. kindly let us know the price break-up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicselva View Post
Congrats buddy... way to go.

"Got the headlights upgraded to Philips 100/90. (All the costs mentioned at the end of this post)" - where is this?
Thank you. I have added the details in my third post. Sorry for the delay in posting. Was held up with some work.
Old 14th June 2011, 00:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hi Kimfied,

Congratulations for your new Hyundai i20 Diesel. Very nice and detailed review, it took me some time to read it completely.

Take good care of her and update the thread regularly.

Wishing you many years of happy and safe driving.
Old 14th June 2011, 01:12   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Good write up! Its a good idea to have the 3M anti-rust coating. Since we live in places where we have lots of rains and we drive thru mud water filled roads, its good to spend that money.

Some questions though.

The steering control interface module is a generic brand? Does it work with any brand of HUs ?

Where did you get the arm rest done?

About Auto-window roll up, is it a one touch roll up or does it roll up the windows when the car is locked ?

How are the roads to Shimoga ? And whats the best time to visit Jog falls ? Also route from Bangalore please.

Wishing you miles of happy & safe motoring!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 14th June 2011 at 01:14.
Old 14th June 2011, 01:27   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your cool acquisition. quite a lot of pics to go with the writeup - always a great thing!
Some better quality pictures would have done justice to the car.
do you think that armrest would fit in an i10?
You seem to have have decked the car up the brim with everything ! Also - whats in a Rs 1300/ wash?
Old 14th June 2011, 15:52   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Good write up! Its a good idea to have the 3M anti-rust coating. Since we live in places where we have lots of rains and we drive thru mud water filled roads, its good to spend that money.

Some questions though.

The steering control interface module is a generic brand? Does it work with any brand of HUs ?

Where did you get the arm rest done?

About Auto-window roll up, is it a one touch roll up or does it roll up the windows when the car is locked ?

How are the roads to Shimoga ? And whats the best time to visit Jog falls ? Also route from Bangalore please.

Wishing you miles of happy & safe motoring!
Thank you.

Oh. Nice. Ill get the underbody coating done then. Any good place to get it done ? Or is it the same everywhere ? How much does it cost ?

The steering control module is specific to Hyundai AFAIK. I was just going through the manual which came with the interface when the installation was being done. It has different ways of configuring for different HU makes (I remember seeing Pioneer and some other brands). I think i have the manual, ill go check again tonite and inform you the complete details.

I got the arm rest done in JC road. I don't remember the name of the shop. I think it was 'Auto Indian'. I am sure i saw an 'Indian' in the name. This shop is on the left side on the main road. Just before the Signal after the Minerva cirle. (around 100 meters from Minerva circle)

Its a roll up module for rolling up the windows after you lock the car. The driver side window on the i20 comes with a one touch up and one touch down functionality. Do you get a module to add the 'one touch' functionality to the other windows also ? I was not aware of a module like that.

Roads to shimoga are good. Not as good as the expressways, but still very drivable. There are 2 ways to reach shimoga.

Route 1 : Most people and all the buses take the NH4 (till tumkur) and the NH 206 (via arsikere and tiptur) route. NH206 is a 2 lane road. Whenever i do a Bangalore - Shimoga only, I take this route. When i visit relatives on the way, I take route 2.

There is also an alternate route.

Route 2 : NH4(till chitradurga) and then the NH13 (via Chennagiri ) . NH13 is a 2 lane road. The NH13 was in really bad shape around an year back but now its really good. I did a Bangalore Shimoga on this route 2 weeks back and was pleasantly surprised with the neat roads i saw. This route though is 30 kilometers more than route 1. I have relatives in Chennagiri, So most times i do a Bangalore - Shimoga , I take this route. This route is also a little more safer at night since you have 4 lane roads all the way up till Chitradurga. Chitadurga to Shimoga takes around an hour and half. (100 odd kilometers).

From Shimoga to Jog, Its a standard route. The NH 206 via sagar, The last time i went around 2 years back, the roads were good. Don't have any update after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Congrats on your cool acquisition. quite a lot of pics to go with the writeup - always a great thing!
Some better quality pictures would have done justice to the car.
do you think that armrest would fit in an i10?
You seem to have have decked the car up the brim with everything ! Also - whats in a Rs 1300/ wash?
Hey. Thank you. Yeah. After seeing other reports here, I think ill get the price for "The report with the worst Quality pictures" I have many photography friends with complex SLR's, Need to take them out for a photo shoot soon.

I searched around for Pics of the handbrake region of the i10, could not find it. Can you post me the pic of the handbrake region here, I think i can tell if it can be done.

The 1300 rupees was for the interior wash/polish and exterior wax polishing. They do a pretty decent job. I was there when it was being done, So maybe that's why they did it better than what they would do normally. But don't expect the quality to be anywhere close to i see Ultimate Detailezs do. They do wash the seats and the door pads with soap and water though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Hi Kimfied,

Congratulations for your new Hyundai i20 Diesel. Very nice and detailed review, it took me some time to read it completely.

Take good care of her and update the thread regularly.

Wishing you many years of happy and safe driving.
Thank you.
Old 14th June 2011, 16:11   #13

Great write up Sanju. Plan a SVM reunion. So we could all meet up.
Old 14th June 2011, 16:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

Thats a lot of info that would help a i20 guy! Great! Keep us posted.

Nice choice of ICE but where is the mono and damping?

And harness circuit is for the headlamp right?
Old 14th June 2011, 16:26   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimified View Post
Ill get the underbody coating done then. Any good place to get it done ? Or is it the same everywhere ? How much does it cost ?
The HASS should be able to do it. I did it for my Swift from MASS and the work is BRILLIANT ! Even after close to 3 years, the coating is still INTACT and there is no need for a re-coating yet. When I got it done, they said I have 3 coats for free and can be done anytime within 3 years. But these guys are reluctant to do it again now [unless I pick up a fight].

I believe I got it done for 3.8K or so almost 3 years back. Please check for the conditions now, I doubt these is a slight change in policies from 3M.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks