Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2012, 08:10   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Joy of Living a Dream - Honda Civic S MT (Pre-Owned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
Unfortunately, all of us have to do this. Thanks for the tip, am going to try it today.
Try to put it on hold if possible for a few days.Read this post.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2767392

I am grouding my car for this week and will only decide whether to peel off or not next weekend.I suggest you take public transport if your leg causes issues for travelling.It will be worth the wait.What if there is a stay?
Old 5th May 2012, 09:47   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86
. Wasn't it 100 INR? That's what I remember reading in the articles.
While the ban was imposed "centrally", each state/RTO is free to impose its own fine. So it's 100 in Delhi but 1000 in neighbouring Gurgaon. Mumbai cops are mulling over a 500 amount.

By the way, these fines already existed courtesy of Rule 100 of the MVA, so the amounts aren't new in most cases. Just the enforcement is.

Regards,
spadix
Old 6th May 2012, 08:07   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Somehow I quite like this spoiler. But I can relate to your thought, as a couple of my friends keep telling that I have spoiled the clean and elegant looks of Civic.
Likes & dislikes are subjective. You like it, so relish it. It is absolutely right. My view hardly matters here.

Personally, i would've gone for a similar spoiler which the city has ( i dont exactly know if they call it A LIP spoiler & if it is available for the civic) .

If it is purely for aesthetics, it's ok. From the technical point of view, i don't think it is serving any purpose, since the spoiler has to slant downwards towards the rear windshield to reduce the wind resistance.The one on your car is slightly lifted up, if viewed from the side.

Anyway , all these hardly matters, you've a Gorgeous, just enjoy the drives.

Safe Driving
Old 6th May 2012, 18:30   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Try to put it on hold if possible for a few days.Read this post.

I am grouding my car for this week and will only decide whether to peel off or not next weekend.I suggest you take public transport if your leg causes issues for travelling.It will be worth the wait.What if there is a stay?
You are right sumeet. It is definitely worth the wait considering that, after deliberating for almost a year, i went in for sun-films only 3 weeks back. Let's hope that we get a respite from this order soon. By next weekend, things should be clear though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
While the ban was imposed "centrally", each state/RTO is free to impose its own fine. So it's 100 in Delhi but 1000 in neighbouring Gurgaon.
Atrocious. Do they have the authority to fix an amount that they wish, given that the SC had also mentioned the fine amount in its verdict?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
Likes & dislikes are subjective. You like it, so relish it.
That is true by the way. Just to quote an example, I l-o-v-e the purple shade in Civic while most others do not. In fact, I was vigorously searching for one before I settled for this bluish silver Civic. Coming back to the spoiler, as you said I love it and will relish it.
Quote:
Personally, i would've gone for a similar spoiler which the city has ( i dont exactly know if they call it A LIP spoiler & if it is available for the civic).
If you had followed my thread, you would have found out that I was keenly looking for either a boot or lip spoiler whichever suited the car best. Mahindra's face-lifted Verito sort of made me hate the lip spoiler and settle for this.
Quote:
If it is purely for aesthetics, it's ok. From the technical point of view, i don't think it is serving any purpose
Forget the technical aspects, I have installed the spoiler purely for aesthetic purposes. I guess spoilers won't be such a big influence in shaping the aerodynamics of our cars, given the speeds that we do on our roads.
Old 8th June 2012, 13:04   #185
Senior - BHPian

So, it has been exactly one year and three weeks since the Civic entered my life and it has been an extremely enjoyable experience owning one.
  • The stares that it continues to attract, the flair in it's clean and aerodynamic design, the gem called 'i-VTec' under that long hood, the lovely interiors and the cockpit like instrument cluster - things that startled me when the car was launched in 2006, still never ceases to amaze me.
  • Yes, the Civic isn't loaded with features that even a Hyundai i10 has as standard, the low-end throttle response is one of the worst I have ever seen and the low ground clearance and the long wheelbase punish me if I don't give them the respect that they deserve. But, these are just small things that I have got used to over time.
As if to mark the occasion, there was a marriage to attend in a coastal village in Nagercoil District. On checking out the map, I found out that it is right at the tip of the country's landscape. What better way to reach there than driving in the Civic? So, off we went and it turned out to be a roller-coaster journey. While going from Chennai, we had all the time in the world and so, were 'coasting'. As usual, the i-VTEC performed its functions flawlessly and gave us a fantastic fuel efficiency of 16.7 km/l for the onward journey. As always, the drive back to Chennai was a dash against time (read 'work') and we floored the throttle on many occasions. We could only eke out a paltry 13.4 km/l on the return trip.

It wasn't a fairy-tale ending to the long drive though. Just 70-odd km before Chennai, a truck rammed us on the right rear side while we were waiting for a traffic jam to clear. Luckily though, since the road was blocked and the truck was just starting to move, we escaped without any injuries. Apparently, the truck driver hadn't noticed that we were in the left lane and swerved to the left all of a sudden. Since we were already ahead, the front and driver's door escaped while the rear door, wheel arch and running board bore the brunt. The result of that idiotic truck driver was that the car was left with the following scars:
  • Three deep dents in the right rear door with exposed sheet-metal
  • A twisted running board (rocker panel)
  • Few deep scratches in the wheel-arch and bumper and
  • A side strip that was completely ripped off
Sitting inside the car, there was this dreaded 'thud' noise which was so loud. My immediate thought after recovering from the initial impact was that the right side is gone. On getting down and inspecting the car, I should admit that I was a bit relieved. Fighting with the truck driver proved useless and beyond a certain point, I just wanted to reach home quickly. The car was left with the dealer for 5 days for accident repairs.

The total billed amount was INR 10,432 out of which INR 2,736 was out of my pocket with the rest paid by the insurance company.

Apart from this dampener, rest is all fine and the car just doesn't stop seeing highways. Just 3 days after the Civic came back from the dealership after the accident repairs, the car is now resting in Trichy after yet another super-frugal drive in the NH 45. I have covered 325 km and the fuel gauge is still one bar above the half-way mark. I have never managed to drive as sedately as I did this time. 2000 rpm, 80 km/h and 5th gear were the constants for most part of the drive as I controlled my urge to floor the pedal inspite of the road being deliciously empty. I think I am in for a big surprise this time when I calculate the fuel-efficiency figures. Watch this space!
Old 8th June 2012, 20:33   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It wasn't a fairy-tale ending to the long drive though.
Hey arvi sorry to hear your car had a accident.It's these kind of rear end collision that i am afraid of the most because we have little or no control on the situation when a vehicle hits from behind when one is waiting at a signal etc.Glad to know that there were no injuries and what is most important is that everyone is safe and that your civic did it's job of protecting it's occupants.

80 kmph at 2000 rpm .I have seen some highway action last month and i must say that is very difficult to resist from pushing the car beyond 2k rpm.The car is so infectious that it's difficult to keep her under 100 on straight open highways and one has to really excercise restraint.
Old 8th June 2012, 20:52   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We could only eke out a paltry 13.4 km/l on the return trip.

It wasn't a fairy-tale ending to the long drive though.
Really sorry to hear about the accident, arvi86. Like Sumeet said, I'm glad no one was hurt, and a ~10k INR damage while bad isn't the end of the world considering the segment this car belongs to. It's good to see that you've put it behind you already and have started enjoying the highways again. Keep driving safe!

So you think 13.4 kmpl is paltry? I can put it on record that my best ever highway mileage is just about 1 kmpl more than that! Mine's an M/T too. I doubt if I will ever see 16.7 kmpl.

Regards,
spadix
Old 9th June 2012, 20:27   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's these kind of rear end collision that i am afraid of the most because we have little or no control on the situation when a vehicle hits from behind when one is waiting at a signal etc.
You are right Sumeet. What can we really do apart from hoping that all will be well in cases like these where we have absolutely no control and are helpless? The only consolation was that this incident happened at speeds of 15-20 km/h which is why all of us came out unscathed. I dread to imagine what would have happened if this had occurred at moderate or slightly higher speeds.
Quote:
80 kmph at 2000 rpm .I have seen some highway action last month and i must say that is very difficult to resist from pushing the car beyond 2k rpm.The car is so infectious that it's difficult to keep her under 100 on straight open highways and one has to really excercise restraint.
You are absolutely spot-on. The car is really infectious and I just love that 'pushed back to your seat' feeling that the i-VTEC gives, when the throttle is floored. But just a flash of the soaring petrol prices is enough to bring down my enthusiasm.

I was just going through GTO's Sunny ownership thread and found this:
"""
If the Civic were used:

2,500 kms / 8.5 kpl (driver driving style) * 76.45 = Rs. 22,485 per month in fuel bills

The Sunny fulfilling that role:

2,500 kms / 16 kpl (current FE with driver) * 45.99 = Rs. 7,186 per month in fuel bills

Summary

Net difference is Rs. 15,299 each month. In effect, the Sunny's EMI is completely free!
"""
Need I say anything more?
Quote:
It's good to see that you've put it behind you already and have started enjoying the highways again. Keep driving safe!
The last few months have been really bad for me and my friends too. We have been victims to no less than 5 accidents on road (4 in cars and 1 in bike). Message is clear - 'Roads have become totally unsafe and respect for other road-users have come down drastically'. We don't have any other option but to move on with the hope that nothing untoward happens.
Quote:
So you think 13.4 kmpl is paltry? I can put it on record that my best ever highway mileage is just about 1 kmpl more than that! Mine's an M/T too. I doubt if I will ever see 16.7 kmpl.
It's really tough to follow, as Sumeet rightly said it's infectious, but just give it a try. The formula is 80 km/h, 5th gear, 2000 rpm. The Civic will really surprise you.
Old 27th June 2012, 06:48   #189
Senior - BHPian

As I have just crossed one year of ownership, it is perhaps the right time to look back at the year that has passed, one in which I took a huge gamble against the advice of many people around. And to now see that each one of them are happy about that decision and the gamble has paid off handsomely relieves me to a huge extent. The car is just carrying on with absolutely no niggles as such.

As if to commemorate the first anniversary, here is a snap of the car taken in Yelagiri in June 2011, barely a month since this Civic became mine. My cousin, who is so passionate about photography and post-processing, has managed to come up with this wonderful composition that I thought of sharing with all BHPians.

The Joy of Living a Dream - Honda Civic S MT (Pre-Owned)-honda-civic.jpg

For me, this snap perfectly symbolizes my thoughts about the car. Just like this snap, life has become all the more beautiful, colorful and cheerful with the Civic!
Old 27th June 2012, 16:31   #190
BHPian

I have been following this thread for quite some time now.

@arvi86, she looks too beautiful...!!
Old 28th June 2012, 20:42   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiesta View Post
I have been following this thread for quite some time now.
Thanks a ton fiesta. I just noticed that you have made all of 12 posts in Team BHP despite joining in 2007. That's just a little above one for an year. I am glad one among them is in my thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiesta View Post
@arvi86, she looks too beautiful...!!
Thanks again. Even I love that snap and, of course, the post processing too!
Old 30th June 2012, 15:29   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a ton fiesta. I just noticed that you have made all of 12 posts in Team BHP despite joining in 2007. That's just a little above one for an year. I am glad one among them is in my thread.

Thanks again. Even I love that snap and, of course, the post processing too!
In 2006, T-BHP forums helped in finalizing my earlier car, Fiesta; and hence the name Even though a member, I hardly got time to browse forums and was busy with different family responsibilities...

When my search for new car started during last Diwali, I came back to my old friend, T-BHP... Now, I wish to change display name to Ventoian..

I have an admiration for Honda cars.. esp the Civic... however increasing fuel prices influenced my decision to settle on a diesel car
Old 30th June 2012, 21:08   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Apparently, the truck driver hadn't noticed that we were in the left lane and swerved to the left all of a sudden.
Arvi buddy perhaps the fates of our Civic's are intertwined or what.Now even my civic has now met with the same fate as yours.Can't believe it happened to me of all the years of experience of a driver and i still end up getting my car banged up. Below are the details of my accident.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2825469

It's a bit eerie but the accident happened in a similar fashion as yours did.It's as if had read about what's going to happen to my Civic in your thread.
Old 15th September 2012, 20:46   #194
Senior - BHPian

So, it's been two and a half months since I posted something in this thread. All these days, the car was just trudging along happily without creating any sort of fuss whatsoever. A whole lot of driving in Chennai's infamous bumper-to-bumper traffic, a couple of quick Chennai-Trichy-Chennai runs and some stints over virtually non-existent roads - the Civic took it all and came out in flying colors. In-city fuel-efficiency hovers between 10.2 - 12.0 km/l depending on how I drive, while maintaining constant speeds in highways returned between 14.0 - 16.5 km/l.

While I am still contemplating over art-leather seat covers with Chennai's sweltering heat challenging that decision every time I close in on that, the sun-films are still on the car too. I am not sure about other cities, the move against sun-films is surely a bit subdued in Chennai and I am taking advantage of that. There is not much of a noise then and that explains the reason for this thread not being alive over the last 2 months.

On the contrary, Honda definitely created noise in India with rumors of the company pulling the plug on Civic and Accord spreading like wildfire. While I was a bit concerned initially on the availability of spare parts, the fact that this generation of Civic was a major hit across the world dampened the fear. Honda has now refuted those rumors saying that both the models are staying put but for some reasons, Civic is just not moving out of their showrooms. To think of the fact that it was one of the largest selling models ever in the premium midsize segment, I have no words to say.

Just like I have did always, here are a couple of snaps taken during the recent highway runs to end the post. I don't know about others but I am just not growing tired of this design at all.

The Joy of Living a Dream - Honda Civic S MT (Pre-Owned)-img_5620.jpg
The Joy of Living a Dream - Honda Civic S MT (Pre-Owned)-img_5894.jpg
arvi86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2012, 19:40   #195
Senior - BHPian

Yes, I like cars and love driving, so much so, that I am being viewed upon as an alien when I tell my family and friends of some of my road trip plans. But, I am quite poor when it comes to doing certain 'car' things myself, like for instance, jump starting a car's battery, replacing the tires, etc. Heck, I don't even have the habit of peeping under my car's hood often. Until now, that is. Problems faced by many fellow owners in the forum prompted me to decide that I need to peep into the hood to check whether all things are right and also the fluid levels atleast once in a week.

And, what a better way to start than to try and realize that the hood just wouldn't open? Yes, I pull the "Hood Release" button beneath the steering wheel and the hood pops out. But then, the lever which has to move away for the hood to open isn't moving despite pulling the handle. I tried twice, thrice, and it wouldn't budge. In addition to the brake pads, I need to get this sorted out in the next service (45,000 km), that is due at the end of the month.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks