Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2012, 22:56   #151
BHPian

Re: The Joy of Living a Dream - Honda Civic S MT (Pre-Owned)

There you go Arvi. Neat summary of the overall 3M work. Indeed enjoyed your company and also admired at your machine. and thanks for the collage work. Clearly portrays what connected and engaged us on that day. We stand united by TBHP.

and reg. the work, 3M guys are just phenomenal and i believe the underbody work in your case will also be excellent. Did you also do a exterior and interior job that day.. I left by 2:30 pm and when did you leave the place? How long did it take before they handed over the beauty to you?

I am planning to be there once in two months to do the basic 1000 rs work. I feel, for the time they spend and the workmanship they offer, its simply worth it.

Happy motoring.
Sathya_sc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 00:13   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
Hi Arvi, does balaji enterprise still operate off alwarpet? I was told that they have shifted to Ambathur. Request you to kindly provide me with a point of contact from balaji, alwarpet (opp. SIET college) as I need to get some 3M automotive wax and 3m finasseIT.
Yes. They still operate at Alwarpet and now they have two outlets at Alwarpet. You can contact Mr. Vinayaga Murthy (9444042474).

@Arvi - It is surprising to know that they removed the door pads and window glasses to install the films. For my Linea, I insisted them not to open it and they agreed and did the filming without taking out the glasses.
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 06:24   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Arvi, does balaji enterprise still operate off alwarpet? I was told that they have shifted to Ambathur. Request you to kindly provide me with a point of contact from balaji, alwarpet (opp. SIET college) as I need to get some 3M automotive wax and 3m finasseIT.
Yes MutantX, they still operate out of Alwarpet. Mr. Vinayaga Murthy (9444042474) can be contacted. If you are planning to get your films installed, my advice would be to go there by 09:30 in the morning. You will be the first one and you can get your work done quickly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
There you go Arvi. Neat summary of the overall 3M work. Indeed enjoyed your company and also admired at your machine. and thanks for the collage work. Clearly portrays what connected and engaged us on that day. We stand united by TBHP.

Quote:
3M guys are just phenomenal and i believe the underbody work in your case will also be excellent. Did you also do a exterior and interior job that day.. I left by 2:30 pm and when did you leave the place? How long did it take before they handed over the beauty to you?
On that day, I only had the anti-rust coating done. The car was handed over to me by 04:15 PM.
Quote:
I am planning to be there once in two months to do the basic 1000 rs work. I feel, for the time they spend and the workmanship they offer, its simply worth it.
There is an exterior and interior job pending to be done in my car as and when the time permits. The basic exterior job, as you said, is simply worth it. I still remember the gloss and shine in your Linea after the detailing work was done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
They still operate at Alwarpet and now they have two outlets at Alwarpet.
Two outlets in Alwarpet? I know the one bang opposite to SIET College gate. Where is the other one?
Quote:
@Arvi - It is surprising to know that they removed the door pads and window glasses to install the films. For my Linea, I insisted them not to open it and they agreed and did the filming without taking out the glasses.
Maybe I wasn't stern enough when I asked them to do the job without removing the door pads. But, their workmanship has been good and I haven't had any rattles or noises yet. I will wait for some more days before confirming that though.
Old 10th April 2012, 07:28   #154
BHPian

Thanks Ramesh & arvi. I will go there today as I need to get some 3m detailing stuff. Are you aware of what products they sell? I found their liquid wax to be much better than the other costly options. As for the sunfilm, i am looking for something basic and which offers maximum visibility with maximum heat rejection. Let me talk to Vinayakamurthy and update you guys.

Btw, arvi - your civic is just awesome!! looks smashing. Just onething, in your previous post you had mentioned that you got the plastic panels painted. How did the Honda A** do it? how is the quality of the paint on plastics?
MutantX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 11:18   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
Two outlets in Alwarpet? I know the one bang opposite to SIET College gate. Where is the other one?
Yes. There are 2 in Alwarpet. The new one is about 1 km from the old one. You need take left after the Ford Service on the same road of SIET.

Quote:
Thanks Ramesh & arvi. I will go there today as I need to get some 3m detailing stuff. Are you aware of what products they sell? I found their liquid wax to be much better than the other costly options. As for the sunfilm, i am looking for something basic and which offers maximum visibility with maximum heat rejection. Let me talk to Vinayakamurthy and update you guys.
For detailing, I recommend 3M Car Care at Nungambakkam instead of Balaji. Their workmanship is simply superb. For film, you can opt for CS35 for good visibility.
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 12:05   #156
BHPian

Quote:
For detailing, I recommend 3M Car Care at Nungambakkam instead of Balaji. Their workmanship is simply superb. For film, you can opt for CS35 for good visibility.
Thanks Ramesh. I usually prefer detailing myself. I've just now visited Sri Balaji agencies and got the following - 3m finesse-it, 3m liquid wax, 3m vinyl and plastic protect, 3m tyre dresser and water spray bottle. I had also been there to their teynampet office also to check out the meguires variety - it is sure wonderful. I am tempted to pickup the meguire's ultimate compound, but decided against.

I had my paint sealent done at 3m car care in nungambakkam. I would rate them excellent as their workmanship is excellent.
Old 10th April 2012, 13:08   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
RE films are legal as long as it is RE70 or RE50. RE35 isn't legal but cops would be fine as long as the interiors aren't completely opaque. Apart from the flashy looks which wouldn't suit a light color car as mine, fearing the cops was one other reason I didn't opt for RE35.
I have RE35 on my Civic (Polished Metal colour) and my Esteem as well and i have had no issues with visibility or with cops (touchwood) till now. By the way, did you not look at the option of installing sun film for the front windshield ? As you know the Civic has a generous front windshield and I would say sun film for the front is a must if you need good A/C esp in Chennai summer. I have 3M CR70 on my Civic for the front windshield and that alone costed me 6.5k INR. But I would say its worth the money.

Also, on the spoiler, I do have a question. Is it comparable with the OEM in terms of the quality? I have been wanting one for my Civic for the last two years but the price quoted by the H.A.S.S (20K) keeps me away.
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 19:42   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Btw, arvi - your civic is just awesome!! looks smashing.
Thanks a ton.
Quote:
Just onething, in your previous post you had mentioned that you got the plastic panels painted. How did the Honda A** do it? how is the quality of the paint on plastics?
As I had stated earlier, I know many other Civic owners in the forum who had got their interior plastics repainted for much lesser amount. But I paid 1200 bucks to Capital Honda only because I just didn't have a local garage which I could trust for this job. And I have to admit that the dealership didn't disappoint at all. They have done a good job except for a couple of minor scratch marks in the door-pads. As far as the paint quality is concerned, there is a little more gloss than the stock paint but I quite like this glossy finish.
Quote:
Yes. There are 2 in Alwarpet. The new one is about 1 km from the old one. You need take left after the Ford Service on the same road of SIET.
Thanks ramesh, I never knew there was another one in Alwarpet.
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks Ramesh. I usually prefer detailing myself. I had my paint sealent done at 3m car care in nungambakkam. I would rate them excellent as their workmanship is excellent.
. Everybody who has visited the place or have had their car detailed there have only positive things to say. I just hope that the team there doesn't let these appreciations get into their heads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
I have RE35 on my Civic (Polished Metal colour) and my Esteem as well and i have had no issues with visibility or with cops (touchwood) till now.
As long as the interiors are visible and they don't intentionally target us, RE35 will not pose a problem with the cops.
Quote:
By the way, did you not look at the option of installing sun film for the front windshield ? As you know the Civic has a generous front windshield and I would say sun film for the front is a must if you need good A/C esp in Chennai summer. I have 3M CR70 on my Civic for the front windshield and that alone costed me 6.5k INR. But I would say its worth the money.
Most of the times, my car is parked in a covered space only and, as such, I haven't experienced any problems with the AC till date. So, I think I can live without sunfilm for the front windshield. By the way, you are totally right about CR70 - I have driven a car which had this installed and it was great with absolutely no visibility problems too.
Quote:
Also, on the spoiler, I do have a question. Is it comparable with the OEM in terms of the quality? I have been wanting one for my Civic for the last two years but the price quoted by the H.A.S.S (20K) keeps me away.
The ABS Spoiler that I have bought seems to be quite good in quality, fit and finish. But I don't think it could be compared to the stock Honda spoiler. I will post the pictures once I get it painted and installed. That might give you a better idea. I hope this thing will serve me atleast for the next 2 to 3 years.

The most recent quote that I got from Honda A.S.S for the boot spoiler was around 24K which is ridiculously expensive. That is when I decided I will wait and source one outside and never go with them. At last, after almost an year, it happened.

Last edited by arvi86 : 10th April 2012 at 19:46.
Old 11th April 2012, 14:22   #159
BHPian

I'm glad that you're back on track mate. There is nothing worse than being in bed for weeks & weeks. Just be carefull when you drive and don't hurt yourself as you drive a manual and both feet need to be in action while driving. A bit of patience would go a long way.

Quote:
Now that is a fully-loaded car. I just don't understand why Honda was so stingy in India. Absence of USB/Aux-In and steering-mounted controls for the audio in a 13-Lakh car is shocking. Atleast now, manufacturers like Hyundai and Maruti-Suzuki are packing in so many features forcing companies like Honda to load their models.
You're true in saying its a fully loaded car. If honda is stingy in India, it surely isn't generous elsewhere (particularly in Australia). Civic sport in Australia does cost an arm and a leg if one buys a brand new. Base varient costs around AUD$25,000 (INR 13,00,000 appx), middle varient costs around AUD$28,000 (INR 14,60,000 appx) and sport costs around a staggering AUD$37,000 (INR 19,20,000). If you don't know what you can do with this much money in Auss, you can get a 3-4 years old BMW 320d/323 in mint condition with low kms & bits of original warranty still in place. Cars are really expensive in Auss mate as compared to rest of the world (those who've visited US of A and Canada would nod in agreement)

Regarding Aux input, I fail to understand why it didn't occur to Honda to add this lifeline of a feature in its pre 2008 cars in Auss. Where as allmost all other car manufacturers had this feature added as a standard accross all models somewhere around 2003/2004 . Innitially I wasn't keen on getting a FM trasmitter to connect my iphone to car HU but then I gave up and bought my self this (if I'd opted out burning CDs, I would be burning a new CD every week to listen to my latest playlist addition. Which I find very cumbersome).

The Joy of Living a Dream - Honda Civic S MT (Pre-Owned)-itrip.jpg

This thingymajic is called iTrip, costed me AUD$90 and drains power out of iphone/ipod if its not fed through a charger. So its optional to connect it to a charger (I bought a unversal charger with a USB socket anyway, it now feeds iTrip and charges other mobile phones when not connected to iTrip). This FM transmitter does the job pretty well and being wire free it can be controlled by any one in the car. I surely don't get very good quality out of it at rare occasions but then again I don't have fancy ICE to notice the difference anyway.

Quote:
sunfilm looks great mate. Is there any chance if you can take a photo in daylight? I wanna see how it looks as I need to get a similar film on my car as well otherwise leather seats on a hot Aussie summer day gonna give my bum a nasty sting.

So that you know how your car is gonna look after spoiler installation, here are two pics of mine.(I actually meant to tease you here haha)

The Joy of Living a Dream - Honda Civic S MT (Pre-Owned)-honda-resize.jpg

The Joy of Living a Dream - Honda Civic S MT (Pre-Owned)-honda1-resize.jpg

(At the risk of being slapped at the back of my head by mods but can I use that big grin smiley for about 3-4 times here, (pouty-lipped) pretty please..lol)

Last edited by Punzabi : 11th April 2012 at 14:43.
Old 12th April 2012, 07:08   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punzabi View Post
I'm glad that you're back on track mate. There is nothing worse than being in bed for weeks & weeks. Just be carefull when you drive and don't hurt yourself as you drive a manual and both feet need to be in action while driving. A bit of patience would go a long way.
Yup, that's right. Being in bed even for days together tests your patience a lot. Thanks for your wishes, your advice is well taken. Talking about patience, I learnt to be very patient yesterday as the tremors and tsunami warning wrecked havoc in Chennai. Though I never felt the initial tremor, I definitely experienced the aftershock which lasted just for a couple of seconds. The whole world was rushing to their homes immediately afterwards and roads were jammed. A 8 km commute back to home took an incredible 2.5 hours.
Quote:
If you don't know what you can do with this much money in Auss, you can get a 3-4 years old BMW 320d/323 in mint condition with low kms & bits of original warranty still in place.
That's a whole lot of money. Low-mileage BMWs & Mercs still in warranty would be mouth-watering prospects then.
Quote:
Cars are really expensive in Auss mate as compared to rest of the world (those who've visited US of A and Canada would nod in agreement)
I have heard that cars are expensive in Australia but nothing can beat India mate. The taxes and duties that we pay are second to none and you can see a separate thread in our forum where this is being discussed. Here is the link:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ed-off-20.html
Do I need to say more?
Quote:
This FM transmitter does the job pretty well and being wire free it can be controlled by any one in the car. I surely don't get very good quality out of it at rare occasions but then again I don't have fancy ICE to notice the difference anyway.
That's a nice little addition which will keep you happy for a long time. I have bought a couple of not-so-good transmitters before and both of them conked out on one of the many potholes that we have on our roads.
Quote:
sunfilm looks great mate. Is there any chance if you can take a photo in daylight? I wanna see how it looks as I need to get a similar film on my car as well otherwise leather seats on a hot Aussie summer day gonna give my bum a nasty sting.
Give me time until weekend. I am planning to take my car for a photoshoot.
Quote:
So that you know how your car is gonna look after spoiler installation, here are two pics of mine.(I actually meant to tease you here haha)
Man, you really are teasing me with those pics but I must thank you for giving me a preview of how my car is going to look. That apart, your car just looks to be in pristine condition. Civics are beautiful and the spoiler just accentuates that beauty quotient several notches higher.

I am calling up the dealership today and fixing an appointment for tomorrow. I can't wait anymore.
Old 12th April 2012, 22:15   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have heard that cars are expensive in Australia but nothing can beat India mate. The taxes and duties that we pay are second to none and you can see a separate thread in our forum where this is being discussed. Here is the link:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ed-off-20.html
Do I need to say more?
I've heard that Singapore is even worse. One friend mentioned that the Civic costs the equivalent of 45 lac INR (non-PPP-adjusted straight conversion) there.

Regards,
spadix
Old 13th April 2012, 08:37   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Yup, that's right. Being in bed even for days together tests your patience a lot. Thanks for your wishes, your advice is well taken. Talking about patience, I learnt to be very patient yesterday as the tremors and tsunami warning wrecked havoc in Chennai. Though I never felt the initial tremor, I definitely experienced the aftershock which lasted just for a couple of seconds. The whole world was rushing to their homes immediately afterwards and roads were jammed. A 8 km commute back to home took an incredible 2.5 hours.
Bugger!! That sounds scary. I hope life is back to normal in that part of the world after yesterday's terror.

Quote:
Low-mileage BMWs & Mercs still in warranty would be mouth-watering prospects then.
To be perfectly honest with you mate, a 320 was what I had originally planned for and I was on the brink of sealing the deal. But unfortunatly wifey lost her job to redundancy at her workplace recently and we have a baby on its way as well, made me to go for plan B (civic, the only other sedan I love other than a BMW) leaving bimmer to wait for another couple of years or so. But I'm happy with Civic (for now lol)

Quote:
That's a nice little addition which will keep you happy for a long time. I have bought a couple of not-so-good transmitters before and both of them conked out on one of the many potholes that we have on our roads.
Long time, naaa. An ICE upgrade is on the cards for sure but would have to wait a little bit. (Civic's shallow boot = less space = won't fit ICE + baby's pram and half of the pantry hence wait. lol)

Quote:
Give me time until weekend. I am planning to take my car for a photoshoot.
No rush buddy. Summer is 8 months away and you can take you own sweet time.

Quote:
I am calling up the dealership today and fixing an appointment for tomorrow. I can't wait anymore.
Good on you and make sure you're equipped with a camera when you hit dealerhip to capture the makeover.

Last edited by Punzabi : 13th April 2012 at 08:38.
Old 18th April 2012, 07:33   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
I've heard that Singapore is even worse. One friend mentioned that the Civic costs the equivalent of 45 lac INR (non-PPP-adjusted straight conversion) there.

Regards,
spadix
No more words to say!
Quote:
To be perfectly honest with you mate, a 320 was what I had originally planned for and I was on the brink of sealing the deal. But unfortunatly wifey lost her job to redundancy at her workplace recently and we have a baby on its way as well, made me to go for plan B (civic, the only other sedan I love other than a BMW) leaving bimmer to wait for another couple of years or so. But I'm happy with Civic (for now lol)
That's surprising. So, the Civic has basically tried to fit in BMW 3 Series' shoes. Now, that is a big credit to the Civic's qualities. I am sure the Civic, though not to the extent of a 320, will keep you reasonably happy with that wonderful, free-revving i-VTEC engine.
Quote:
Long time, naaa. An ICE upgrade is on the cards for sure but would have to wait a little bit. (Civic's shallow boot = less space = won't fit ICE + baby's pram and half of the pantry hence wait. lol)
Looking forward for more details once you decide to take the plunge.
Quote:
Good on you and make sure you're equipped with a camera when you hit dealerhip to capture the makeover.
And so, after months of scouting around, I have finally got what I wanted for my Civic.

The dealership experience was quite bothersome this time as they were unusually busy over the past weekend. The spoiler was given last Thursday itself so that it could be painted and kept ready for installation before I bring the car in on Saturday. When I went there on Saturday morning, the work on the spoiler wasn't done yet and I was asked to come again in the afternoon. I obliged and finally, when I went there in the afternoon, I waited for close to 4 hours to get the car back. Apart from fitting the spoiler, only the wiper blades were changed and this took such a long time, despite me fixing up an appointment with them and visiting them thrice for the job.

The paint quality in the spoiler is top-notch and it perfectly matches with the 'Bluish Silver' shade of the car. Here is a picture of the spoiler painted and dried, waiting to be installed in the car.

The Joy of Living a Dream - Honda Civic S MT (Pre-Owned)-spoiler.jpg

The car, in turn, waiting at the dealership's garage for somebody to attend.

The Joy of Living a Dream - Honda Civic S MT (Pre-Owned)-car.jpg

Just like the paint quality, the installation is also great and leaves no room for complaint. Even the positioning of the rubber pads at the contact surface of the spoiler and boot is neatly done. Here are a couple of snaps of the car flaunting its new accessory.

The Joy of Living a Dream - Honda Civic S MT (Pre-Owned)-civic-spoiler.jpg
The Joy of Living a Dream - Honda Civic S MT (Pre-Owned)-after-spoiler-installation.jpg

The total cost shelled out at the dealership was INR 3950 out of which 2500 is for painting and installation of the spoiler, a money well-spent in my opinion. What is your take, guys?
arvi86 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2012, 11:55   #164
BHPian

Quote:
That's surprising. So, the Civic has basically tried to fit in BMW 3 Series' shoes. Now, that is a big credit to the Civic's qualities. I am sure the Civic, though not to the extent of a 320, will keep you reasonably happy with that wonderful, free-revving i-VTEC engine.
I actually foresee that reaction coming . You rightly said civic is no match to BMW. Well the reason I chose civic in the absence of bimmer is due to its futuristic design. Well I could've easily gone for a 6 cylinder car of same age as of civic and for a far lesser price too but all other cars failed to tickle my fancy. Where as I love the 320's contemporary style, 8th gen civic's uniq and futuristic dash design has always appealed me too. Just when I was looking for civic, I visited and checked out 9th gen civic and personally I find it plain ugly inside and out (no offence to 9th gen owners, if any). If I haven't sounded whingy enough, I honestly didn't like bimmer's F30s either. In my opinion Honda and BMW have killed their cars with their new design.

Quote:
Looking forward for more details once you decide to take the plunge.
I don't have the detailed plan as of now but I'll stick to the stock look. So a DSP would be going in for sure with some SQ gear (haven't zeroed in on anything yet).

Quote:
The total cost shelled out at the dealership was INR 3950 out of which 2500 is for painting and installation of the spoiler, a money well-spent in my opinion. What is your take, guys?
Awesome result Quality is top notch indeed by the look of it. Now the car looks heaps better. Ok what's next, alloys? hahaha j/k.

Last edited by Punzabi : 18th April 2012 at 11:58.
Old 20th April 2012, 20:34   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When my parents and friends initially objected for going in for such an expensive car so soon into my professional career (Remember, I am the first time car owner in a middle-class family),
You know this is so true as the Civic even when bought used is looked at as expensive car which i guess it is .Not everybody can afford one but the thought that lingers in my head when i am driving the Civic is everybody starts to think that you are very 'rich' even though people like me are from middle class families.Sometimes i feel uncomrfotable when people start to judge me because of the car I drive.
Quote:

And so, after months of scouting around, I have finally got what I wanted for my Civic.
Glad you got what you were looking for.Spolier looks neat.Maybe you could post a picture of all the brake lights and the spolier light glowing in the dark.Think it would look cool.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks