Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2012, 13:53   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Joy of Living a Dream - Honda Civic S MT (Pre-Owned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punzabi View Post
Where as I love the 320's contemporary style, 8th gen civic's uniq and futuristic dash design has always appealed me too. Just when I was looking for civic, I visited and checked out 9th gen civic and personally I find it plain ugly inside and out (no offence to 9th gen owners, if any). If I haven't sounded whingy enough, I honestly didn't like bimmer's F30s either. In my opinion Honda and BMW have killed their cars with their new design.
You have nailed it with the above statement Punzabi. The existing Civic is such a clean piece of automotive design that I always knew it is going to be really tough for Honda to beat it. And, just as expected, they failed in their attempt. I am happy that I own a beauty that is the 8th Gen Civic.

On the contrary, I quite like the all-new BMW 3 Series, especially those menacing headlights that extends into the grille.
Quote:
Awesome result Quality is top notch indeed by the look of it. Now the car looks heaps better. Ok what's next, alloys? hahaha j/k.
Thanks, the dealership has surely done an impeccable job on the painting and installation. And for the alloys, don't tempt me. I am satisfied with the stock alloys for now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
You know this is so true as the Civic even when bought used is looked at as expensive car which i guess it is.
Quote:
Not everybody can afford one but the thought that lingers in my head when i am driving the Civic is everybody starts to think that you are very 'rich' even though people like me are from middle class families.Sometimes i feel uncomrfotable when people start to judge me because of the car I drive.

I have experienced both. In fact, people at my workplace still pull my legs for having a car that is more expensive and belongs to a higher segment than my boss and super boss.
Quote:
Glad you got what you were looking for.Spolier looks neat.Maybe you could post a picture of all the brake lights and the spolier light glowing in the dark.Think it would look cool.
Yes sumeet, at last I got what I always wanted. I have already planned to take a snap as you stated but am not just getting the right time and spot to do that. It will come soon.
Old 2nd May 2012, 21:26   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Also, on the spoiler, I do have a question. Is it comparable with the OEM in terms of the quality? I have been wanting one for my Civic for the last two years but the price quoted by the H.A.S.S (20K) keeps me away.
Here is the answer for your query. This spoiler that I managed to source from the aftermarket looks and feels as good as the stock Honda spoiler. I don't think onlookers can easily find out the difference between the two. But I do not really know about its longevity though. I think you can also go for this rr_zen as it definitely improves the car's looks in my opinion.
Quote:
sunfilm looks great mate. Is there any chance if you can take a photo in daylight? I wanna see how it looks as I need to get a similar film on my car as well otherwise leather seats on a hot Aussie summer day gonna give my bum a nasty sting.
Here are a couple of pictures taken in daylight. I think this might give you an idea of how dark and transparent these sun-films are.

The Joy of Living a Dream - Honda Civic S MT (Pre-Owned)-img_5070.jpg
The Joy of Living a Dream - Honda Civic S MT (Pre-Owned)-img_5072.jpg

Quote:
Glad you got what you were looking for.Spolier looks neat.Maybe you could post a picture of all the brake lights and the spolier light glowing in the dark.Think it would look cool.
I could only manage to click this snap with all rear lights glowing but the illumination is not clearly visible due to sun-light. I will try to get a picture in the dark sometime soon.

The Joy of Living a Dream - Honda Civic S MT (Pre-Owned)-img_5262.jpg
arvi86 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2012, 21:31   #168
Senior - BHPian

Hey arvi great pics but there's some bad news regarding sun films installed on cars.It seems there is a supreme court directive declaring all kinds of sun films illegal. Hate to be telling you this.There's a thread being discussed on the same under the Indian car scene section.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 05:55   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey arvi great pics but there's some bad news regarding sun films installed on cars.It seems there is a supreme court directive declaring all kinds of sun films illegal. Hate to be telling you this.There's a thread being discussed on the same under the Indian car scene section.
How can I miss that sumeet? I was just going through the updates in that thread. Let's see what happens and how it goes. I hope I would be able to have the films installed in my car atleast for this summer. Nevertheless, I am a bit happy that I minimized the losses by not opting for RE35 and settling for SP35 which is significantly cheaper than the former.

Considering the state of road traffic in our country where nobody bothers to strictly enforce wearing of seat-belts in cars and helmets in two-wheelers and road-users giving scant respect to speed limits and lane discipline, it's really unfortunate that the authorities have to ban sun-films instead of doing something useful.
Old 3rd May 2012, 07:17   #170
BHPian

Arvi,

You have a Gorgeous with you . The shade of your car is mindblowing.

However, my sincere and frank suggestion would be to avoid the kind of spoiler installed. It is spoiling the beauty. You have to find a spoiler which compliments the beauty and not spoil the Gorgeous.

Hope you will.

Safe Driving!!
Old 3rd May 2012, 11:42   #171
Senior - BHPian

The spoiler looks great and am sure its hard to make out if its after-market or OE. So where did you get the painting and installation done and how much did you have to shell out in all for getting the spoiler fixed ? Thanks.

EDIT: One more question - do both stop lamps (the one in the spoiler and the one behind the rear windshield) glow when the brake pedal is pressed or is it only one of them ? The reason I ask is because the H.A.S.S told me that only one of the lamps can be made functional with the OE spoiler.

Last edited by rr_zen : 3rd May 2012 at 11:47.
Old 3rd May 2012, 21:32   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It seems there is a supreme court directive declaring all kinds of sun films illegal.
Just to continue from where we left, what have you decided sumeet? Are you going to remove the reflective films in your side windows or going to wait and watch? I am inclined to do the latter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
Arvi,
You have a Gorgeous with you . The shade of your car is mindblowing.
Thanks a ton nandan. Though I didn't like this shade in Civic initially, I have got used to and started liking it gradually over the months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
However, my sincere and frank suggestion would be to avoid the kind of spoiler installed. It is spoiling the beauty. You have to find a spoiler which compliments the beauty and not spoil the Gorgeous.
Somehow I quite like this spoiler. But I can relate to your thought, as a couple of my friends keep telling that I have spoiled the clean and elegant looks of Civic. But no, I am not getting rid of it anytime soon as I have been looking for one for almost a year.
Quote:
The spoiler looks great and am sure its hard to make out if its after-market or OE. So where did you get the painting and installation done and how much did you have to shell out in all for getting the spoiler fixed ? Thanks.
Cost of the unpainted ABS spoiler was INR 5000 and painting and installation at Capital Honda set me back by INR 2800 (including taxes). So, it was INR 7800 in total, one-third of what Honda charges for the OE spoiler.
Quote:
EDIT: One more question - do both stop lamps (the one in the spoiler and the one behind the rear windshield) glow when the brake pedal is pressed or is it only one of them ? The reason I ask is because the H.A.S.S told me that only one of the lamps can be made functional with the OE spoiler.
Both the stop lamps glow while braking. Since I got it done in the dealership only, it shouldn't be a problem in case you need it.
arvi86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 22:12   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
Just to continue from where we left, what have you decided sumeet? Are you going to remove the reflective films in your side windows or going to wait and watch? I am inclined to do the latter.
Definitely wait and watch. In any case the fine is 100 bucks i think and spot removal of the film.A sun film installer would also charge the same to remove your film ie 100 bucks.So only hassle would be dealing with cops.

Edit:I also plan to carry a shaving razor blade in the car just in the cops decide to act funny and say things like keep your license/registration with us , remove films and come back to us to redeem the documents.If such a thing happens i plan to yank of the film myself as i have already done for the rear (though i did not use a blade and it just peeled off easily).

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 3rd May 2012 at 22:24.
Old 4th May 2012, 06:07   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Definitely wait and watch.
That seems to be a good idea. With a bit of worry, I am going to drive the car to work today. Let's see what luck has in store.
Quote:
Edit:I also plan to carry a shaving razor blade in the car
Thanks buddy for the nice little idea. I can tell you that will definitely help to deal better with the cops. Sometimes, it is funny that all of us in the forum are talking about how to deal with the cops, as if we had committed a bitter crime. All we have done is installed sun-films in our cars to protect us from the sweltering heat. Though I can understand that a few miscreants have misused dark tints, banning it completely across the country doesn't seem to be a good solution. Chennai summer is already smiling at us in all its glory (just read in yesterday's newspaper that this is going to be one of the hottest summers ever, even by Chennai's standards) and this is only going to worsen the situation.
Quote:
If such a thing happens i plan to yank of the film myself as i have already done for the rear (though i did not use a blade and it just peeled off easily).
I knew that you removed the film off the rear windscreen but didn't realize you did it yourself. How did you manage to do that without affecting the demister? Any tips?
Old 4th May 2012, 09:14   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I knew that you removed the film off the rear windscreen but didn't realize you did it yourself. How did you manage to do that without affecting the demister? Any tips?
Well i just started peeling gently from the very bottom edge of the film.At the lower side a tiny bit of it was coming off.I managed to peel off the entire film from that part.I did not use a blade and the film came of pretty much easily.It did tore at the lower half just above the stop light but that too came off.I am not sure if the defogger is working or not.I guess i will find out in the rainy season.

I also have seen how the sun film installers remove the old film before putting the new one.They start from the very bottom ie wind the window all the way up and peel off the bottom right side edge with a blade and gently peel off the rest.The side panes will have residue from the glue which will have to be cleaned off.

I really hope none of us have to do this though.Keeping fingers crossed.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 4th May 2012 at 09:15.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 16:13   #176
Senior - BHPian

Got caught today. No lux meters or on-the-spot removal. They just seized the DL, raised a challan and asked me to visit the PS a week later to pay the fine and release the DL.

For what it's worth, I have CR70 on the front and RE35 all around, but none of that matters. There must be no add-on film.

So please take care, arvi86 and others.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 16:59   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
Got caught today. No lux meters or on-the-spot removal. They just seized the DL, raised a challan and asked me to visit the PS a week later to pay the fine and release the DL.

For what it's worth, I have CR70 on the front and RE35 all around, but none of that matters. There must be no add-on film.

Regards,
spadix
please tell more.

where was it? were they stopping all vehicles with tints? or was it only for big rich cars like civic?

fine amount?

any info shared/volunteered by the on duty policemen?

Last edited by skdking : 4th May 2012 at 17:09.
Old 4th May 2012, 18:02   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking
where was it? were they stopping all vehicles with tints? or was it only for big rich cars like civic?

fine amount?

any info shared/volunteered by the on duty policemen?
This was in Gurgaon (near Artemis Hospital if you are familiar with the landmark). All cars were getting stopped, including CVs and pick-ups.

Fine amount is INR 1000. (Repeat offences will be fined INR 2000, apparently. This info is not from the cops but from the forums.)

No specific information from the cops, except instructions on when and where to pay the fine and retrieve the DL.

Regards,
spadix
Old 4th May 2012, 22:25   #179
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This spoiler that I managed to source from the aftermarket looks and feels as good as the stock Honda spoiler.
Nice spoiler. Looks dashing, specially from the rear three quarters.

Quote:
Fine amount is INR 1000. (Repeat offences will be fined INR 2000, apparently. This info is not from the cops but from the forums.)
This is crazy, really. How can anyone fine CR70, we are actually saving energy using these films.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 06:30   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well i just started peeling gently from the very bottom edge of the film.At the lower side a tiny bit of it was coming off.I managed to peel off the entire film from that part.I did not use a blade and the film came of pretty much easily.It did tore at the lower half just above the stop light but that too came off.I am not sure if the defogger is working or not.I guess i will find out in the rainy season.

I also have seen how the sun film installers remove the old film before putting the new one.They start from the very bottom ie wind the window all the way up and peel off the bottom right side edge with a blade and gently peel off the rest.The side panes will have residue from the glue which will have to be cleaned off.

I really hope none of us have to do this though.Keeping fingers crossed.
Unfortunately, all of us have to do this. Thanks for the tip, am going to try it today. What a waste of money! Ya I know INR 3150 that I had spent (just 3 weeks back) isn't much compared to other owners who has spent twice or thrice as much with completely-legal CR70 for the front windscreen of their cars, but still it hurts. Damn these ill-framed laws.
Quote:

Regards,
spadix
Thanks a ton for the heads-up spadix. I will somehow ensure that the films are removed today either by myself or by going to a professional. Let's get ready to be roasted in the super-hot summers of Chennai/Delhi.
Quote:
. Wasn't it 100 INR? That's what I remember reading in the articles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Nice spoiler. Looks dashing, specially from the rear three quarters.
Oh thanks dot. Of all the things that I did for the car in the last month, atleast this will get to stay I guess. (Hopefully, nobody will ban the spoilers).
Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
This is crazy, really.
That's the beauty. While all of us who are affected seem to realize that this decision is crazy, the decision-makers have not.

Last edited by arvi86 : 5th May 2012 at 06:38.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks