Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2013, 19:55   #211
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Joy of Living a Dream - Honda Civic S MT (Pre-Owned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
It's been two months now since Capital Honda in Chennai told me that they will inform once the ordered engine mounts have come. Subsequently, there were two telephonic conversations, one initiated by them for getting the service feedback and the other one by me to know the status of the engine mounts. On both occasions, I reminded them of this and got an assurance that they will revert. I don't think they will do so now and I am planning to talk to them tomorrow about this before the issue gets any serious.
Three months since they identified that the hydraulic engine mount has gone weak and needs to be replaced, there was still no news from the dealership on the availability of the part. So, when I confirmed the order today for the two weak relays that was troubling the car's AC system, I also enquired about the engine mount. And I was told that the part has to be ordered again and they aren't sure whether it will be replaced free of cost. Inspite of explaining that all this reasoning and checking were done earlier and only after that it was decided to replace the mount in my car for free, the S.A wouldn't confirm anything. All he said was he will check and revert once the parts (both the relays and the engine mount) arrive by 15-Jan.

I started getting suspicious when they didn't keep up their words on timely availability of this part. The folks at Capital Honda weren't like this before and were quite prompt and met their commitments. Now, my suspicions have come true. Is there anything concrete that I could use to prove that it is indeed a manufacturing defect in all 2006 & 2007 Civics?
Old 31st January 2013, 22:03   #212
Senior - BHPian

A quick help is needed from other forum members and fellow Civic owners.

After continuous follow-ups, the parts I ordered for (Engine Mount & AC Relays) had finally arrived and I was getting regular calls over the past 10 days. Due to tight schedules at work, I couldn't take the car there. Now, I am in a dilemma.

Just as expected, the service personnel in the dealership are now going back on their commitment. They wouldn't replace it free of cost and want me to shell out Rs.8500 for the part. Except for hard thuds over big potholes in highways and a strictly average ride quality both of which are Civic trademarks, I am not facing any other problems with the car. Should I really spend and replace the part now?

The other thing is the AC problem. After a couple of 15 minute instances explained in the past, the AC has been working perfectly. I have decided to replace the relays as suggested by the SA (Cost of 1 is Rs.900 & 2 of them apparently needs replacement in my car). But the question is, how do I believe that it wouldn't crop up again? Is there anybody else in the forum who have experienced this problem? I tried searching the threads but couldn't find one.

As I am planning to visit the dealership coming Saturday, quick replies would be useful.
Old 1st February 2013, 20:54   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Except for hard thuds over big potholes in highways and a strictly average ride quality both of which are Civic trademarks, I am not facing any other problems with the car. Should I really spend and replace the part now?
It seems the last day of the work week is keeping everybody busy from replying to my queries. After going through almost all the posts related to the hydraulic engine mounts in the forum, I have come to a conclusion that the hard thuds are indeed the problem of a faulty mount. But, tell me something. When I say a hard thud, I mean it. The thud noises were experienced at speeds between 40 to 60 km/h and were huge as if the car is hitting something at the bottom. Is this how the faulty part shows up? Anyways, I am planning to get it replaced tomorrow.

I am looking at a hefty bill - Remote Key, Brake Pads, 50K Service along with the Hydraulic Engine Mount. Time to loosen (No! Tear open) the purse strings, this month!
Old 1st February 2013, 21:46   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...Just as expected, the service personnel in the dealership are now going back on their commitment. They wouldn't replace it free of cost and want me to shell out Rs.8500 for the part...
Quote:
...But, tell me something. When I say a hard thud, I mean it. The thud noises were experienced at speeds between 40 to 60 km/h and were huge as if the car is hitting something at the bottom. Is this how the faulty part shows up? Anyways, I am planning to get it replaced tomorrow...
I suggest you have a word with Honda guys via a call or mail to sort out the issue. If they had given a commitment earlier, they just can't go back on it.

On the reliability front too, such a communication helps. I suggest you document and keep the parties concerned in loop.

Sorry, I do NOT have answers for other questions!
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 21:58   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I suggest you have a word with Honda guys via a call or mail to sort out the issue. If they had given a commitment earlier, they just can't go back on it.
The problem is the SA who checked with his higher-ups and gave that commitment is no more in the dealership. And, while it is mentioned in my previous invoice that the engine bed has to be replaced, the all-important 'Free Of Cost' isn't mentioned. Since I didn't have any complaints related to this and it was the SA who voluntarily found out the issue, I also didn't get it typed back then. In the hindsight, that was a mistake on my part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
On the reliability front too, such a communication helps. I suggest you document and keep the parties concerned in loop.
That's a good point, will make sure it's done.
Old 1st February 2013, 22:01   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The problem is the SA who checked with his higher-ups and gave that commitment is no more in the dealership. And, while it is mentioned in my previous invoice that the engine bed has to be replaced, the all-important 'Free Of Cost' isn't mentioned. Since I didn't have any complaints related to this and it was the SA who voluntarily found out the issue, I also didn't get it typed back then. In the hindsight, that was a mistake on my part...
I suggest you try once please. Please do explain all these in detail and tell them this is a manufacturing defect (?) which ideally should be replaced by the company. Hope Honda will help you with it. At the max you may waste time for a mail & a phone call.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 23:01   #217
BHPian

Quote:
...I have come to a conclusion that the hard thuds are indeed the problem of a faulty mount. But, tell me something. When I say a hard thud, I mean it. The thud noises were experienced at speeds between 40 to 60 km/h and were huge as if the car is hitting something at the bottom. Is this how the faulty part shows up?...
Yup. That is THE description of a failed engine mount.

I managed to get it changed from Capital Honda free of cost last year.

Will recommend the same for you.

Last edited by skdking : 1st February 2013 at 23:02.
skdking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 23:09   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Yup. That is THE description of a failed engine mount.

I managed to get it changed from Capital Honda free of cost last year.

Will recommend the same for you.
Thanks for the clarification.

When you say you got it replaced Free of Cost, was your car still under warranty? What was the date and month of manufacture? I hope I will have the same luck with Capital Honda tomorrow.
Old 1st February 2013, 23:12   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification.

When you say you got it replaced Free of Cost, was your car still under warranty? What was the date and month of manufacture? I hope I will have the same luck with Capital Honda tomorrow.
Hi,

Please read my earlier posts of last year here -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2898649 (Honda Civic Maintenance and Service Costs and Must dos)

These are self explanatory.

If you have any queries further, pl shoot.
skdking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 23:25   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Please read my earlier posts of last year here -

These are self explanatory.
Thanks a ton, I am definitely going to make a noise tomorrow. Would you be kind enough to let me know if I can use your instance in case they act funny? Now, there are two instances in Capital Honda itself that I know (you and autofreak). I thought quoting these examples would help.
Old 2nd February 2013, 08:40   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Also is it possible for you to post pics of the gap between the mounts so that it could help others identify such issues easily.
Apologies sumeet. I know this is coming a few months delayed, but nevertheless, here it is.

Taking tips from laluks sir's thread on this problem, my car's hydraulic mount definitely seems to have gone bust. A traditional 5 Rupee coin (the old fat type, not the new slim ones) is all that is required to find it out. There should be enough gap between the metallic part and the rubber part to accomodate a 5 Rupee coin and then some more. That is the sign of a mount that's still good.

Mine was not so. Here are a few snaps to explain it better.

At first glance, it seems things are looking right as the upper metallic part is casting a shadow on the rubber part, which means that there is a gap.
The Joy of Living a Dream - Honda Civic S MT (Pre-Owned)-2007-civichydraulic-engine-mount-problem-2.jpg

A close-up of the same part - The gap is still visible here but there are signs it isn't upto normal levels.
The Joy of Living a Dream - Honda Civic S MT (Pre-Owned)-2007-civichydraulic-engine-mount-problem-1.jpg

Once the 5 Rupee coin comes into picture, it is very clear that the mount has to be replaced. The coin just wouldn't get into the gap. Significant pressure was required to insert it in there.
The Joy of Living a Dream - Honda Civic S MT (Pre-Owned)-2007-civichydraulic-engine-mount-problem-3.jpg

Another snap showing the mount and its surroundings.
The Joy of Living a Dream - Honda Civic S MT (Pre-Owned)-2007-civichydraulic-engine-mount-problem-4.jpg

So, off goes the Civic today to Capital Honda with the knowledge that there have been two instances in the recent past of similar-aged Civics getting the mounts replaced 'Free of Cost' at the same dealership. Let's see what I am able to get out of them.
arvi86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2013, 09:32   #222
BHPian

Quote:
... Would you be kind enough to let me know if I can use your instance in case they act funny? Now, there are two instances in Capital Honda itself that I know (you and autofreak). I thought quoting these examples would help.
You quote my example to them. Forcefully.

BOL.

Last edited by skdking : 2nd February 2013 at 09:33.
Old 2nd February 2013, 12:52   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You quote my example to them. Forcefully.

BOL.
I think I need your help as the Capital Honda (Meenambakkam) guys are trying to act smart. I have sent you a PM and awaiting your reply.
Old 3rd February 2013, 12:26   #224
Senior - BHPian

Hey keen on updates..did they agreed to replace the mount?
Old 3rd February 2013, 21:58   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Hey keen on updates..did they agreed to replace the mount?
They did, when I left the car there in the morning. The SA also called someone and checked whether my car's VIN was covered under it and accepted it. Late in the afternoon, I get a call with the SA telling me that I need to bear the expense. The reason told was that my car is older than 5 years.

I have refused and told them to keep the car there until I talk to their Manager or someone higher up in the organization. Meanwhile, I have also wrote a complaint to one2one@capitalhonda.in, but haven't received any response.

My biggest grouse is 'why should I pay for their lethargic attitude'? They are conveniently forgetting the fact that I have been asking them for the hydraulic mount since May-2012. They didn't have it in stock for the next 2 months after which I asked them to call me once the part arrived. The call never came and the part wasn't available even when I gave the car for 45K service in Oct-2012. Finally, after several follow-ups, the part was finally available late last month. I am hellbent that I shouldn't take the car out this time without getting the mount replaced.

I am taking the help of skdking to prove them that they have replaced the hydraulic mount 'free of cost' for a car that crossed 5 years of life in the same dealership. Let's see how it goes tomorrow.

Most Viewed