Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2011, 16:07   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The story of Toothless: Tata Safari GX 4x2 Black Dualtone

Congrats on the addition to the family. Reading your write up, I can relate to the passion and love for your ride. THe way you describe it , I almost feel like it is alive and has a character of its own!

The Safari is one the best cars to roll out of the TATA stable. It is probably one of the few really desirable vehicles in their ranks. It still looks handsome after so many years, with the basic design and shape remaining unchanged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcar View Post
Sunday, 17 July, 2011
Some intermittent brake squealing at the fag end. Does brake dust form so early ?
The brakes when new, need to be run in. Brake dust formation in the first 500 kms is common and nothing to worry about. Just be gentle on the brakes during this period and they will settle down and become more progressive and assuring.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 26th July 2011 at 16:10.
Old 26th July 2011, 18:08   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Once upon a time lived a little boy called Hiccup. Skinny and pale, he was not quite good enough at anything to warrant a mention. One day, deep in the concrete jungle, he befriended a dragon. A Night Fury, or in Dragonese, a Zafari. Lore has it that the Zafari is the rarest and most intelligent species of dragon. It is small to medium-sized with a sleek, dark body that is almost black with faint lighter patterns.

Now, you all know, right - behind their aggressive exterior, all dragons have a softer, emotional side. Almost vulnerable. They come with their own set of niggles. You got to take care of these beasts; establish a connect.

Hiccup called his friend "Toothless". No, no; it was not bonding at first sight. Not even close. Their story has a lot of twists, turns and heartbreaks. But as time unfolds, Toothless starts to trust Hiccup and even allows him to touch him and eventually ride him.

Oh, before I forget ! Toothless is not only a fire-throwing dragon. It is also my black dualtone Tata Saf.

(Creative inspiration: http://www.howtotrainyourdragon.com/)
Sarcar, great choice and great review. I am sure you will enjoy the new ride. One quick question, didnt you consider that there is new version (Merlin) of Safari is round the corner? and despite of that, what made you buy the current version?
Old 26th July 2011, 18:39   #33
sarcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
The Safari is one the best cars to roll out of the TATA stable.

The brakes when new, need to be run in. Brake dust formation in the first 500 kms is common and nothing to worry about. Just be gentle on the brakes during this period and they will settle down and become more progressive and assuring.
I second you - Safari is *the* sterling vehicle form TATA. Somehow, they got the magic potion to work with this one.

About the brakes - thanks for your assurance Santosh. I feel good. And I will continue to be gentle on the brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
Sarcar, great choice and great review. I am sure you will enjoy the new ride. One quick question, didnt you consider that there is new version (Merlin) of Safari is round the corner? and despite of that, what made you buy the current version?
I was torn between taking the Safari now or the Merlin. I would have taken the Safari in Feb when I TD-ed it first but I waited for Merlin till June. I really needed a ride. When I heard that they are planning to get it out in Diwali, I went for the current one.

(After my purchase)..
I had a chance to speak to a TML (not dealer) employee. In characteristic vague discreetness, he mentioned that TML will not let down its current Safari
buyers and will keep the basics intact -- whatever that means.
  (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 20:06   #34
BHPian

Congratulations on your new Bull. From your postings with respect to Merlin, it is still a good decision. This current Safari is a well matured product where TML fixed most of the bugs of this product on its assembly line. Happy miles ahead and drive safely.
Old 26th July 2011, 20:22   #35
BHPian

Congrats, you found the Nightfury!!

The beast looks awesome in black, good choice!! The Safari despite its age is still one of the best looking SUVs around. The road presence is just so wow!
If you are into off roading, I would suggest a pair of Hella auxiliary lamps, they do wonders to the look of the car and of course give good light too.

Drive safe!!
Old 27th July 2011, 13:51   #36
sarcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
Congrats, you found the Nightfury!!

The beast looks awesome in black, good choice!! The Safari despite its age is still one of the best looking SUVs around. The road presence is just so wow!
If you are into off roading, I would suggest a pair of Hella auxiliary lamps, they do wonders to the look of the car and of course give good light too.

Drive safe!!
Thanks Speed.Demon
One of the things I am really liking about the "Real Earth" cladding is that is camouflages mudslings pretty well. The color is pretty nice that way. Black, as we know, is not the easiest color to maintain, but I have been programming my brain not to go crazy at every smudge or swirl I spot !
Other black dualtone owners may want to comment.

On the Hella lamps:
The lighting is not the brightest in this car, so your point is well-taken. How do you suggest one fits it ? To a nudgeguard ? I am wary about nudgeguards.
The other configuration I have seen is 2 or 4 lamps mounted on a mini bullbar/roofrail kind of fixture on the roof above the windscreen. Any advice , all ?
  (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2011, 20:46   #37
BHPian

I have seen the lamps fitted on the bumper without a guard as well. The roof lights don't look good on the Safari. IMO, they are better off on something like the Thar or the Gypsy.
Old 28th July 2011, 06:51   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Speed.Demon
On the Hella lamps:
The lighting is not the brightest in this car, so your point is well-taken. How do you suggest one fits it ? To a nudgeguard ? I am wary about nudgeguards.
The other configuration I have seen is 2 or 4 lamps mounted on a mini bullbar/roofrail kind of fixture on the roof above the windscreen. Any advice , all ?
I wouldnt recommend adding lights on roof for 2 reasons.
1) I think, its NOT legal
2) It will further increase the need of roof/height clearance for the Safari. Its already in a higher scale and you will have greater difficulty while getting into a basement parking situation.

I would be interested to know if we can fix up 2 additional lamps in front without fitting a nudge guard.
Any help ?

Prem.
Old 28th July 2011, 12:43   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
I would be interested to know if we can fix up 2 additional lamps in front without fitting a nudge guard.
Any help ?
Check out how Suman has done the same on his Safari. You could follow a similar approach.
Old 1st August 2011, 11:22   #40
sarcar

Quote:
Tip-off:
There is a shop called Modern (Auto?) Electricals near /behind Domlur bus terminus who fit Xenon HID non-fuseable lamps onto Safaris. They pull a wire, add a relay and fit the bulbs. Cost ~ INR 7500 for pair.

The prime point is that this does not seem to void the manufacturer's warranty.

I have not done this myself (yet), so please tread with some caution.

Last edited by sarcar : 1st August 2011 at 11:23. Reason: typo:Donlur--> Domlur
  (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2011, 12:16   #41
BHPian

^^ Thanks Sarcar for the pointer, will check it out on this shop.
Old 1st August 2011, 12:58   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Prem.
Yes. I have lightforce 240 installed without nudge guard. This is done at a shop called "Car fittings" off Double Road and have done a good job. I forgot the person's name but the contact no is 98867 65757.

They use a fabricated z shaped(length between two horizontal is almost 12 inches) iron clamp where one end is screwed to the chassis and other end will fit inside the bumper. A small hole is drilled into the bumper to access this clamp which is right underneath. The base of the lights will be placed on this clamp,tightened and also welded to make it anti-theft. The holes are not visible once the lights are mounted. The clamps are strong and free of vibration.

cheers

Last edited by bkishore_77 : 1st August 2011 at 13:02.
Old 1st August 2011, 15:41   #43
BHPian

^^ Awesome, but Kishore, the moment a hold is drilled on the body, TATA wont hold the warranty anymore. Did you get this confirmed OR anything to be taken care for this ?

Prem.
Old 1st August 2011, 21:29   #44
BHPian

Kaviprem,

Nopes. The hole is drilled only in the bumper. If you have a look at the chassis frame, it has enough holes and a right nut and bolt is used to fit to one of the hole.
The chassis is visible when the whole bumper is removed and the frame will be just protruding below the radiator. So one end of the Z shaped clamp is fitted to the this frame making an angle of 45 degree pointing towards the centre of the bumper. The frame is almost 12 inches below the bumper and hence the use of Z shaped clamp to reach the bumper.

Hope I was clear. Let me know if you have any doubt. BTW I have posted the pictures in "Autolighting thread" way back.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post1818937

Last edited by bkishore_77 : 1st August 2011 at 21:32.
bkishore_77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2011, 21:49   #45
Senior - BHPian

Hey, nice review! Especially the initial narration and all the pics. It looks awesome in the very first pic with that golden light background. Congrats, can you please post more pics of the interior and the ICE setup?

Drive safe, and keep the thread updated

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks