Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2011, 16:12   #136
BHPian

Re: Bringing home the blue teutonic beauty - VW Vento TDI Highline

Ah, long silence!

A few days back, I completed 5000 kms. The Blue had its first scratch just before the milestone. A driving school car kissed the rear bumper early in the morning with no traffic on the road!! So much for being careful!

I thought of getting some nice leatherette seat covers to celebrate the milestone and forget the heart breaking incident!

Here are some photos:

My Blue Teutonic Beauty | VW Vento TDI Highline | 150,000 km update-20110918img_9875.jpg

My Blue Teutonic Beauty | VW Vento TDI Highline | 150,000 km update-20110918img_9873.jpg

My Blue Teutonic Beauty | VW Vento TDI Highline | 150,000 km update-20110918img_9869.jpg

My Blue Teutonic Beauty | VW Vento TDI Highline | 150,000 km update-20110918img_9868.jpg

My Blue Teutonic Beauty | VW Vento TDI Highline | 150,000 km update-20110918img_9871.jpg

My Blue Teutonic Beauty | VW Vento TDI Highline | 150,000 km update-20110918img_9880edit.jpg

My Blue Teutonic Beauty | VW Vento TDI Highline | 150,000 km update-20110918img_9877.jpg
Old 18th September 2011, 16:20   #137
Senior - BHPian

Now that the first scratch is out of the way, you can stop worrying about it anymore.

Interesting dual tone colour combination for the seats. May be since the exterior is blue shade? How much did it cost you?

I was shopping around for seats too, finally closed stanley full leather in satin grade. Steering grip leather is pending for completion and will post pics as soon as it is done.
Old 18th September 2011, 16:26   #138
BHPian

Really liked the fit and stitching on your seat covers. The way the middle arm rest in the rear seat has been incorporated is really nice.
Old 18th September 2011, 17:15   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Interesting dual tone colour combination for the seats. May be since the exterior is blue shade? How much did it cost you?

I was shopping around for seats too, finally closed stanley full leather in satin grade. Steering grip leather is pending for completion and will post pics as soon as it is done.
Yes, it is a bluish grey shade. Damages are 8k.

Awesome, Stanley is the best to have. Unfortunately my budget has been cut due to various reasons and I decided to go with leatherettes for now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain.vanilla View Post
Really liked the fit and stitching on your seat covers. The way the middle arm rest in the rear seat has been incorporated is really nice.
Yeah, I too liked how they used the beige 'tub' to finish up the armrest hole.

Last edited by nileshch : 18th September 2011 at 17:17.
Old 2nd October 2011, 02:56   #140
BHPian

Last weekend I had been to Ooty with my family. It was a wonderful trip. I took the shorter route through Masinagudi and was pleasantly surprised by the scenic route and the good quality roads. The road between Mysore and Bandipur is great. The Bandipur forest stretch is the worst. The Mudumalai side in TN has well-laid roads and was a joy to drive on. It took me 6 hours each way, from Bangalore to Ooty and Ooty to Bangalore. We went around Ooty, Coonoor and Pykara. I logged about 700km on this trip, taking the odo to well over 6000km now!

Here are some photos of the trip:

We were stationed at Club Mahindra Derby Green. It is a beautiful resort right in the middle of the city, next to the bus stand and race course.

View from the resort
My Blue Teutonic Beauty | VW Vento TDI Highline | 150,000 km update-20110925img_0109.jpg

Early morning lights
My Blue Teutonic Beauty | VW Vento TDI Highline | 150,000 km update-20110927img_0092.jpg

The Blue, raring to go out in the morning.
Name:  IMG_0780.jpg
Views: 1504
Size:  106.1 KB

City view
My Blue Teutonic Beauty | VW Vento TDI Highline | 150,000 km update-img_0816.jpg

Mist laden town
My Blue Teutonic Beauty | VW Vento TDI Highline | 150,000 km update-img_0774.jpg

We reached early at the Pykara lake. Had to wait for the gates to open!
My Blue Teutonic Beauty | VW Vento TDI Highline | 150,000 km update-img_0819.jpg

The Blue enjoying the lake view.
My Blue Teutonic Beauty | VW Vento TDI Highline | 150,000 km update-img_0827.jpg

The Pykara Lake
My Blue Teutonic Beauty | VW Vento TDI Highline | 150,000 km update-20110926img_9982.jpg
My Blue Teutonic Beauty | VW Vento TDI Highline | 150,000 km update-20110926img_9992.jpg
My Blue Teutonic Beauty | VW Vento TDI Highline | 150,000 km update-20110926img_9994.jpg

Some flora and fauna at the Botanical Gardens:
My Blue Teutonic Beauty | VW Vento TDI Highline | 150,000 km update-20110925img_0066.jpg
My Blue Teutonic Beauty | VW Vento TDI Highline | 150,000 km update-20110925img_0099.jpg
My Blue Teutonic Beauty | VW Vento TDI Highline | 150,000 km update-20110925img_0123.jpg
My Blue Teutonic Beauty | VW Vento TDI Highline | 150,000 km update-20110926img_99862.jpg
My Blue Teutonic Beauty | VW Vento TDI Highline | 150,000 km update-20110926img_99922.jpg
My Blue Teutonic Beauty | VW Vento TDI Highline | 150,000 km update-20110926img_99982.jpg

Ashy Prinia
My Blue Teutonic Beauty | VW Vento TDI Highline | 150,000 km update-20110926img_00192.jpg

Canary Flycatcher
My Blue Teutonic Beauty | VW Vento TDI Highline | 150,000 km update-20110926img_00452.jpg

Indian Robin
My Blue Teutonic Beauty | VW Vento TDI Highline | 150,000 km update-20110926img_00622.jpg

The Coonoor Valley
My Blue Teutonic Beauty | VW Vento TDI Highline | 150,000 km update-img_0802.jpg

The Blue relaxing under the tea gardens.
My Blue Teutonic Beauty | VW Vento TDI Highline | 150,000 km update-img_0872.jpg

Dew-laden Blue, on its way back to Masinagudi
My Blue Teutonic Beauty | VW Vento TDI Highline | 150,000 km update-img_0875.jpg

Last edited by nileshch : 2nd October 2011 at 02:59.
nileshch is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2011, 03:15   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Last weekend I had been to Ooty with my family. It was a wonderful trip. I took the shorter route through Masinagudi and was pleasantly surprised by the scenic route and the good quality roads. The road between Mysore and Bandipur is great. The Bandipur forest stretch is the worst. The Mudumalai side in TN has well-laid roads and was a joy to drive on. It took me 6 hours each way, from Bangalore to Ooty and Ooty to Bangalore. We went around Ooty, Coonoor and Pykara. I logged about 700km on this trip, taking the odo to well over 6000km now!

Here are some photos of the trip:

We were stationed at Club Mahindra Derby Green. It is a beautiful resort right in the middle of the city, next to the bus stand and race course.
Drool worthy pictures my friend , how was the car in the twisties ? Did you enjoy the 36 hair pins ? How did the car handle?
BTW, neat seat covers - I don't know how I missed that post of yours !! Since you have hit the 6k mark , keep a watch on the engine oil levels - quite a few of us needed a top up around that mark. I said "top up" but personally I favour flush and refill
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2011, 10:10   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Drool worthy pictures my friend , how was the car in the twisties ? Did you enjoy the 36 hair pins ? How did the car handle?
BTW, neat seat covers - I don't know how I missed that post of yours !! Since you have hit the 6k mark , keep a watch on the engine oil levels - quite a few of us needed a top up around that mark. I said "top up" but personally I favour flush and refill
Oh, the 36 hairpin bends were a breeze to cover. There was absolutely no traffic so I did not have to slow down anywhere during the hairpin turns. The car climbed up effortlessly in second gear with all four people and boot full of luggage (we were carrying everything you need for a four day getaway. Why? just because we can ). Amazingly even when the second gear was engaged for almost 30 km, the mileage dropped only slightly. We got an overall 17kmpl for the onward journey!

When coming down, I alternated between second and third gears and the magical figure of 85kmpl stayed there for most part. Got an amazing 21kmpl from Ooty upto Mudumalai, which dropped to around 17kmpl in the bad traffic just when entering Bangalore.

About the engine oil level, hmmm, will go down and check immediately. The car has become such a "Fill it, shut it, forget it" car that I have forgotten checking the basics regularly!

So did you schedule a session at the workshop specially for the engine oil replacement? Might be a good idea. I can even get my auto-lock enabled then.
Old 2nd October 2011, 17:08   #143
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Nileshch on completing a successful trip. No doubt @ the Blue's capabilities & I am sure your Ooty trip would have been a breeze. Simply mind blowing pictures. Your Blue in the backdrop of the Blue Sky & the Blue waters of Pykara lake are just picture perfect. (You know what each time you mention @ the Blue, I feel very proud, because my car too is a Blue, a different shade & model though ).

Are you fond of bird watching or is it your hobby, else how could you name the three bird species that you have captured in your lens?

Hope you make many more such trips & treat us with the amazing pictures of the "Blue", your pictures are really a treat to watch.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2011, 18:55   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
(You know what each time you mention @ the Blue, I feel very proud, because my car too is a Blue, a different shade & model though ).
Haha!

Quote:
Are you fond of bird watching or is it your hobby, else how could you name the three bird species that you have captured in your lens?
Yes, I have active interest in wildlife and birds, though I still take help of my more knowledgeable bird watching friends to get the names. From these photos, I did not know about the flycatcher.
Old 2nd October 2011, 19:10   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So did you schedule a session at the workshop specially for the engine oil replacement? Might be a good idea. I can even get my auto-lock enabled then.
Well I got the engine oil changed outside , visiting the workshop is a 25 km drive for me which is a needless pain especially if one knows good workshops nearer to house or place of work. I got Mobil (synthetic) which I think till 15K is a bit needless but post that should make the TDi engine fall in love with you. I should again stress that you should flush and refill rather than top up so please get it done in your presence
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2011, 20:52   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The Blue relaxing under the tea gardens.
Attachment 819550
Awesome pics, especially the 2nd last one - you can almost frame it and hang it in you house.

Btw the seat covers complement the blue color nicely - how much did it cost you? Was fishing over the weekend for different covers available - seems like there quite a few options in artificial leather in terms of quality, thickness & finish! I was more confused than earlier!
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2011, 20:59   #147
Senior - BHPian

Who cares what car you drive (even if it is THE Vento) The pictures are brilliant !! Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2011, 03:48   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Awesome pics, especially the 2nd last one - you can almost frame it and hang it in you house.

Btw the seat covers complement the blue color nicely - how much did it cost you? Was fishing over the weekend for different covers available - seems like there quite a few options in artificial leather in terms of quality, thickness & finish! I was more confused than earlier!
Thanks! These art leather covers from G-Sport cost me 8000 bucks. Excellent fit and finish. I am also planning to get the door fabric replaced with these. Costs an additional 2k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Who cares what car you drive (even if it is THE Vento) The pictures are brilliant !! Thanks for sharing.
Cheers
Thanks, Ricky!
Old 11th October 2011, 20:54   #149
Senior - BHPian

@Nileshch - Just read your travelogue and your experience driving through the kalhatti road (masingagudi-ooty). If I recollect it right, the last hair-pin bend (or the last but one - cant recollect exactly) is quite steep and its very difficult to maintain momentum to go through this in 2nd gear. The next time you have a plan to visit ooty, dont miss avalanche, mukurthi & upper bhavani, these places are heaven on earth and you can visit these only upon obtaining permission from the DFO.

Quote:
Oh, the 36 hairpin bends were a breeze to cover.
@Ninja - If I may recommend, along with g-sport also take a look at autoform if you are looking at the art leather variety. They are in the same price range too and their fit and finish is impressive as well. I have the catalogue with me and can post it in your ownership thread if you are interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

Old 12th October 2011, 12:43   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ @Bala - that would be quite useful. Please do that whenever you get the time.

Most Viewed