Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2011, 19:23   #181
BHPian

Re: Bringing home the blue teutonic beauty - VW Vento TDI Highline

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Buddy one more point - when you unmount any wheel ( in case of any puncture) please note that there is one (bloody) expensive VW logo that covers the wheel central hub which can fall loose . I learnt it the hard way , I lost mine when I didn't care to check while changing to my spare tyre - in fact I didn't even know that the logo is detachable . Swift was a lot less complex

Bala's point about the jack is very pertinent , its puny so you got to practice using it - not only fixing it at the right spot but also even parking the car at the right spot . I feel that the jack's play is very limited so the margin of error is a bit tricky - in case of undulating terrain or because of soft ground if the jack goes down even by an inch then you maybe in a spot of bother
Oh yes, I did pay attention to that logo when I got my first puncture. The tyre guy, though was careful about handling the logo piece. By the way, I found these wheel logos on sale on eBay. You might want to check them out if you want one.

Thanks for the bit on the jack. Yes, the jack is a puny one and needs a good flat surface to fix on.
Old 11th December 2011, 22:20   #182
Senior - BHPian

Spot On! This is exactly what happened with me and the jack caved in after removing the punctured wheel. The range is very limited and you are stuck with no options to fit the replacement wheel if that happens.

I then had to stop a tempo which was passing by and ask for assistance to jack the car up to fit the replacement wheel. Investing in a good hydraulic jack is on top of my list for the vento.

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Bala's point about the jack is very pertinent , its puny so you got to practice using it - not only fixing it at the right spot but also even parking the car at the right spot . I feel that the jack's play is very limited so the margin of error is a bit tricky - in case of undulating terrain or because of soft ground if the jack goes down even by an inch then you maybe in a spot of bother
Old 11th December 2011, 23:08   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Oh yes, I did pay attention to that logo when I got my first puncture. The tyre guy, though was careful about handling the logo piece. By the way, I found these wheel logos on sale on eBay. You might want to check them out if you want one.

Thanks for the bit on the jack. Yes, the jack is a puny one and needs a good flat surface to fix on.
Thanks for the tip on the logo, will check it out asap.
On the jack , I am thinking of welding a thick ( at least an inch ) large steel plate to the base of the jack - more area, less pressure thus lesser would be the chance of the jack to depress the ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Spot On! This is exactly what happened with me and the jack caved in after removing the punctured wheel. The range is very limited and you are stuck with no options to fit the replacement wheel if that happens.

I then had to stop a tempo which was passing by and ask for assistance to jack the car up to fit the replacement wheel. Investing in a good hydraulic jack is on top of my list for the vento.
Well, I had to refit my puncture tyre and move my car as the jack depressed the ground and I had no clearance to slip in the spare.
Hydraulic jack is good but then you would have to do without the (nice) groove that the original Vento jack has which holds the body in place
Old 16th December 2011, 17:27   #184
BHPian

Finally I got the speaker upgrade done! I was fed up with the OEM speakers and turns out, these are not from Blaupunkt, as was thought earlier.

It's a world of difference now. Got the tried and tested Hertz Deici Series components for the front and Hertz Energy series co-ax for the rear. The exact models are:

Front: Hertz Deici DSK 165 (120W)
Rear: Hertz Energy ECX 165 (140W)

The OEM speakers are all the same. And the reason they boom so much is probably because of the plastic mounts
Name:  oem1.jpg
Views: 2894
Size:  72.5 KB
My Blue Teutonic Beauty | VW Vento TDI Highline | 150,000 km update-oem2.jpg

Front speakers (Dieci components)
My Blue Teutonic Beauty | VW Vento TDI Highline | 150,000 km update-front1.jpg
My Blue Teutonic Beauty | VW Vento TDI Highline | 150,000 km update-front2.jpg

Tweeters
My Blue Teutonic Beauty | VW Vento TDI Highline | 150,000 km update-tweeter1.jpg
My Blue Teutonic Beauty | VW Vento TDI Highline | 150,000 km update-tweeter2.jpg

Rear Speakers
My Blue Teutonic Beauty | VW Vento TDI Highline | 150,000 km update-rear1.jpg
My Blue Teutonic Beauty | VW Vento TDI Highline | 150,000 km update-rear2.jpg
nileshch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2011, 17:51   #185
BHPian

Was it from Evo? How much did it cost? Have fun
Old 16th December 2011, 18:08   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Was it from Evo? How much did it cost? Have fun
No, I got this done from Torque, Indiranagar. It cost me 9.5k including fitting charges. The wires were not changed. The OEM wires are pretty good from what I saw.

Yes, did the upgrade just before my Mumbai trip, which is starting...tomorrow! Going to have loads of fun, listening to nice music on the long long drive.
Old 16th December 2011, 18:48   #187
Senior - BHPian

Well done nileshch. Are these 6" or 6.5"? And have you used an wooden spacer to mount these?

How about the tweeter? Did you install it in the A-pillar? I'm planning my upgrade process too and have finalized on infinity reference series for front components and rear co-axials. One advantage with your approach is that, you will tend to appreciate the change in quality of music as you go through the subsequent stages in your ICE upgrade project.
Old 16th December 2011, 19:52   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Well done nileshch. Are these 6" or 6.5"? And have you used an wooden spacer to mount these?

How about the tweeter? Did you install it in the A-pillar? I'm planning my upgrade process too and have finalized on infinity reference series for front components and rear co-axials. One advantage with your approach is that, you will tend to appreciate the change in quality of music as you go through the subsequent stages in your ICE upgrade project.
These are 6.5". Yes, used wooden spacers. The tweeters were fitted on the door, opposite to the ORVM (and a little higher). Specifically told them to do so as the wiring becomes easy (internal to the door).

Yes, the staged upgrade has that exact aim. Helps me understand the change in quality. I didn't want to upgrade indiscriminately and then regret spending a lot of money.
Old 16th December 2011, 19:59   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, did the upgrade just before my Mumbai trip, which is starting...tomorrow! Going to have loads of fun, listening to nice music on the long long drive.
Great addition to an already great car. Nilesh can we have a picture of door with the tweeter installed.
So you are coming over to Mumbai once again, another small T-Bhp meet in the making what say?
It would be great to check out your car and have a comparison with my Vento which has OEM speakers on the audio quality.
What do you suggest? Waiting for your reply.
Old 17th December 2011, 03:17   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061
Great addition to an already great car. Nilesh can we have a picture of door with the tweeter installed.
So you are coming over to Mumbai once again, another small T-Bhp meet in the making what say?
It would be great to check out your car and have a comparison with my Vento which has OEM speakers on the audio quality.
What do you suggest? Waiting for your reply.
Oh yes sure. Will talk to you when I am in Mumbai. I'll take a photo of the tweeter and put it up.
Old 17th December 2011, 11:37   #191
Senior - BHPian

Hi Nileshch,
Came to your thread after quite a few days and great reading about your progress !
Some of those earlier snaps - of the Hebbal Lake etc were rather nice !
Other than the music system any other fitments ?

Do write about your Mumbai drive and the FE figures returned etc.
Have a delightful drive !
Old 17th December 2011, 13:46   #192
BHPian

Nice upgrade from the stock speakers.
BTW, what are those stain marks at the back of the speakers ? Are they some sort of gel which is applied ?

Enjoy your music !!
Cheers
Old 19th December 2011, 18:48   #193
BHPian

Wow!! Nice upgrade nileshch!!

Even I am contemplating an upgrade for my vento.
I already have a 4 channel ampwith me. Although I have a Sub also but I am not keen on having a Sub in this car. I guess I will just put components in the front and co-ax in the rear and connect them to my 4 channel amp.

How much difference did you see in the Music. Has the Bass become louder and crisper??

Congrats!!
Old 20th December 2011, 18:44   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi Nileshch,
Came to your thread after quite a few days and great reading about your progress !
Some of those earlier snaps - of the Hebbal Lake etc were rather nice !
Other than the music system any other fitments ?

Do write about your Mumbai drive and the FE figures returned etc.
Have a delightful drive !
HG, thanks for stopping by! Glad you liked the photos. Nothing much other than the seat covers and the speakers. In the near future, will have the HU upgraded. I am also saving up for a new set of alloys and shoes for the car. But that is a little far off in the future, probably 8-10 months or so. Hey you know a good place for exterior detailing in Mulund/Thane?

Yes, will put up a separate post for the Mumbai drive once I am back to Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpiyengar View Post
Nice upgrade from the stock speakers.
BTW, what are those stain marks at the back of the speakers ? Are they some sort of gel which is applied ?
Thanks, @mkpiyengar. That's just the design on the back. They did not use any gel or liquid on it.

Quote:
How about the tweeter? Did you install it in the A-pillar?
Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Nilesh can we have a picture of door with the tweeter installed.
Here is how the tweeters were installed:

Name:  tweeterinstalled.jpg
Views: 2934
Size:  58.8 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Wow!! Nice upgrade nileshch!!

Even I am contemplating an upgrade for my vento.
I already have a 4 channel ampwith me. Although I have a Sub also but I am not keen on having a Sub in this car. I guess I will just put components in the front and co-ax in the rear and connect them to my 4 channel amp.

How much difference did you see in the Music. Has the Bass become louder and crisper??

Congrats!!
Thanks, Rachit! An amp should be enough, IMO. Get a good component/co-ax combo and you should be good to go. Unless you like splitting your ears!! Plus a sub takes away the utility of the huge boot. I am a compulsive luggage hoarder for long trips.

Yes, the bass has become crisper and punchy and the treble is superbly crisp now, inspite of the OEM HU. A quick test with Bassotronics confirmed this!

One issue though - since the speakers are really powerful, the door vibrates at very high volume levels. Damping the doors should solve that issue. That, I will do sometime later, when I change the HU and get an amp! Right now, I prefer listening to music at soft volumes.

New speakers need a new high quality FM transmitter! So just yesterday, splurged some money on the Belkin Tunecast Auto Live FM . Got a good deal on eBay. It was the last piece and got it cheaper than it's Amazon price!

My Blue Teutonic Beauty | VW Vento TDI Highline | 150,000 km update-belkin-tunecast.jpg

Last edited by nileshch : 20th December 2011 at 19:00.
Old 20th December 2011, 20:06   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey you know a good place for exterior detailing in Mulund/Thane?
Hi Nileshch,
My pleasure !
About that exterior detailing. I think there is a chap behind Nirmal Lifestyle (LBS Road, Mulund) - in the mall's parking lot. The guy seems to have a good lot of customers around him all the time. Check him out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks