Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2011, 18:18   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bringing home the blue teutonic beauty - VW Vento TDI Highline

Congratulations nileshch for your blue beauty. I never knew that Vento looks so good in blue shade. Short and sweet review but very good pictures absolutely treat to watch.

Please do update the thread regularly with important updates and pictures.

I wish you many years of happy and safe driving.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2011, 18:26   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Nilesh,

Congratulations! Vento is the best looking compact car around really. A well balanced and proportionate saloon. Its a typical VW - no fuss, solid build, practical.
You said the Teutonic beauty....I feel its the Teutonic knight in fact with that excellent 1.6 TDI. Its really a gem of a motor and with Vento's specs, it gives an amazing power to weight ratio, fighting that of the Laura with the 1.9 TDI.

And a peculiar place to put that Immobilizer LED! I haden't noticed its there in the Vento. Pretty wise. (God forbid) if someone wants to break into a Vento, he'll definitely see the blip on the door edge behind the window! Definitely better place than on the dash/console...

As for the Chrome, I feel its better that there is less of it. Gives it a bit of class rather than flashy looks with the chrome...Individual's choice of course.

Wishing you unlimited happy miles with her. And as many have already said, its an AWESOME colour. There is an identical one daily in my office parking (petrol though) and I spend some moments admiring it everyday.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2011, 18:38   #18
BHPian

@nileshch,

Wow,she is every inch a stunner!! Congrats mate. IMHO,the Vento looks breathstopping in blue.The car has a rather conservative look-but the blue colour has magically transformed and restored the chic factor.

Apart from that my congrats for getting treated decently by the VW staff!!

I had considered the Vento and my choice of colour was blue too!

Your review is very good- precise and effective.You have posted nice snaps too,which has made it more enjoyable. I hope that you will enjoy every moment of your driving/riding experience in it.

Please do the favour of updating the thread with regular posts and pictures.

Cheers!! charthom.
charthom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2011, 18:53   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Nilesh,

Congrats! The pics are indeed lovely and this is easily the Vento's best shade. Wishing you many happy miles in this baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
And a peculiar place to put that Immobilizer LED! I haden't noticed its there in the Vento. Pretty wise. (God forbid) if someone wants to break into a Vento, he'll definitely see the blip on the door edge behind the window! Definitely better place than on the dash/console...
I agree! The same thought goes through my mind when I see the blinking red light after parking sometimes. Though, there is a small downside to this: when I parked at my parents' place (where I grew up, i.e. lots of friendly neighbours around), an "aunty" from the next building called my Mom and said "Anoop ki gaadi mein kuch alarm chaalu hai, usko check karne ko kahiye!"

Quote:
As for the Chrome, I feel its better that there is less of it. Gives it a bit of class rather than flashy looks with the chrome...Individual's choice of course.
Dude I think even the subtle narrow strip of chrome above the rear bumper is a bit much . Can't stand to see the thick chrome blobs on the back of some other cars!

Nilesh, what is the peak mileage you have got (not instantaneous, but average over say a distance of 30-odd km? Mine is around 22 kmpl (On Pune-Khalapur e'way stretch) in a petrol AT, so am assuming the diesel MT gives a lot more!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2011, 19:34   #20
Senior - BHPian

Many congratulations.
The pictures are excellent. Specially the fish eyed one.
How did you get that anyway?
20-80 in 3rd gear. Dont you think 80 is a bit too high for a new engine in 3rd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Nilesh, what is the peak mileage you have got (not instantaneous, but average over say a distance of 30-odd km? Mine is around 22 kmpl (On Pune-Khalapur e'way stretch) in a petrol AT, so am assuming the diesel MT gives a lot more!
The max I got on the highway is 18. May be my highways are not so good. They are filled with trucks. But I get 15 in city. And that is pretty good.

But 22 is really commendable for a petrol AT. What was your average speed?
Old 12th July 2011, 20:14   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

@oxyzen, check my ownership review. I have detailed my "hypermiling" effort there pretty comprehensively!

Actually, it's nothing close to hypermiling, but the stretch of expressway I mentioned is a gently downward sloping section that greatly aids fuel economy. I maintained speeds of 65-85 in D6 (top gear) for the most part- this was in my run-in period, so it was easier! Minimised braking and an extremely smooth road helped.

To keep things in perspective, I get around 10-11 kmpl in Pune and 12-13 kmpl on long highway drives (higher on the e'way, about 14-15).
Old 12th July 2011, 21:14   #22
Senior - BHPian

What a beauty, your Vento!

Not all cars can wear this color nicely. A few I can think on top of my mind are Porsche 911 Turbo, Lamborghini Gallardo, Corvette ZR1, Lancer Evo and Honda Civic Type R! First time I am seeing this color on a Vento and yours look so gracious.

Pretty detailed review too! Thanks for sharing the pics and I wish you thousands of happy miles with your 'Blue' girl.
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2011, 22:06   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian
Congratulations once again Nileshch. Blue looks smashing on the Vento. I haven't gone through the full post yet, but I am zapped just looking at the quality of the pictures you have shot. Those really depict your Vento in full glory .

My pic of the lot is the "Bugswagen!!"

BTW if you don't mind, which is the camera on which you have shot these pics?
Thanks Autoindian. Most photos are from my trusty old Canon 20D with the 70-200L, 50mm and 17-85mm lenses. Others like the Bugswagen one are from the iPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008
Congrats on the Vento. This color just looks awesome and probably could be a major competitor for the candy white which seems so popular for this car.

I really like this color and I beileve is a similar color that you get in the Dzire.

And, Oh! that FE is mind boggling. Lucky you !!!

Enjoy and Drive Safe.....
I wish they produced more blue Ventos. I would have got mine earlier. But then I think Blue should be an exclusive colour too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc
Awesome Nilesh , I am very happy for you that the agonising wait has yielded such fulfilling returns . Welcome to the Vento family and thats one smashing Blue Teutonic you have got . Wish you many miles of happy driving .
Cheers
Thanks Saurav. That I waited for the car and this colour makes me all the more satisfied now after driving the car.
Old 13th July 2011, 02:50   #24
BHPian

Thanks everyone again for the nice words!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard
Hey Nilesh,

Congratulations! Vento is the best looking compact car around really. A well balanced and proportionate saloon. Its a typical VW - no fuss, solid build, practical.
You said the Teutonic beauty....I feel its the Teutonic knight in fact with that excellent 1.6 TDI. Its really a gem of a motor and with Vento's specs, it gives an amazing power to weight ratio, fighting that of the Laura with the 1.9 TDI.

Wishing you unlimited happy miles with her. And as many have already said, its an AWESOME colour. There is an identical one daily in my office parking (petrol though) and I spend some moments admiring it everyday.
Yes, 'The Blue Knight' seems like a perfect fit!

I too hate garishly done chrome. But the chrome inside Vento is quite smartly done. It is not the typical shiny plasticy chrome you see in many other cars, but a subtle soft shine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom
@nileshch,

Wow,she is every inch a stunner!! Congrats mate. IMHO,the Vento looks breathstopping in blue.The car has a rather conservative look-but the blue colour has magically transformed and restored the chic factor.

Apart from that my congrats for getting treated decently by the VW staff!!

I had considered the Vento and my choice of colour was blue too!

Your review is very good- precise and effective.You have posted nice snaps too,which has made it more enjoyable. I hope that you will enjoy every moment of your driving/riding experience in it.

Please do the favour of updating the thread with regular posts and pictures.

Cheers!! charthom.
Yes, I am not satisfied with the photos yet. More to come...

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster
Nilesh,

Congrats! The pics are indeed lovely and this is easily the Vento's best shade. Wishing you many happy miles in this baby!

I agree! The same thought goes through my mind when I see the blinking red light after parking sometimes. Though, there is a small downside to this: when I parked at my parents' place (where I grew up, i.e. lots of friendly neighbours around), an "aunty" from the next building called my Mom and said "Anoop ki gaadi mein kuch alarm chaalu hai, usko check karne ko kahiye!"

When dad got home the new Zen in 1998, it had this flashing LED on the music system. I remember neighbours would come home to tell 'Aho kuthlatari laal light suru aahe battery drain hoyil' (that some red light is 'on' in the car and the battery may drain out...) Hahaha!

The 22kmpl reading was taken after about 20 kms of driving. I am still learning to read the screen. The phi means instanteneous mileage or average mileage?

I doubt it would go beyond 23/24. However, I took little or no effort to reach the 22.1kmpl. In fact I am going to push harder for better mileage in my long road trip which starts today morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen
Many congratulations.
The pictures are excellent. Specially the fish eyed one.
How did you get that anyway?
20-80 in 3rd gear. Dont you think 80 is a bit too high for a new engine in 3rd.

The max I got on the highway is 18. May be my highways are not so good. They are filled with trucks. But I get 15 in city. And that is pretty good.

But 22 is really commendable for a petrol AT. What was your average speed?
Oxyzen, I have a cheap Russian built 8mm fish eye lens. I use that often to take photos in small places, to get a different perspective.

Yes 80kmph is a little high for the 3rd gear. Just tried it once to see the limits of the Blue. ofcourse will wait till the run-in is over to try again.

Last edited by nileshch : 13th July 2011 at 03:20.
Old 13th July 2011, 07:41   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Phi signifies average, nilesh.
Old 13th July 2011, 07:51   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post

OTR came to 11 with insurance.
11 Lakhs?? For a Vento!! Really??

that is just a really really high price. Anyways, Nice Choice of color, reminds me of the early days of the Swift. Also, this is very similar to the Scooby Blue, so if you get new rims for her, Please get Gold ones!
Old 13th July 2011, 10:33   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
11 Lakhs?? For a Vento!! Really??

that is just a really really high price. Anyways, Nice Choice of color, reminds me of the early days of the Swift. Also, this is very similar to the Scooby Blue, so if you get new rims for her, Please get Gold ones!
Cyrus,

IMO 11L is pretty much at par with other cars. Do note that the car comes with a 1.6L TDi diesel. The VW TDI s are considered to be from the best diesel engines around today. Add to that, its a fully loaded Highline variant. The car is a lot more solidly built with heavier metal compared to its Japanese / Korean counterparts. In addition, the current level of VW localization (especially in the powertrain area) is low IIRC and that adds to the duties. Whether 11L reaps too much of profit for VW at the expense of Indian buyer is a different matter, but the price is definitely justified when compared to other cars in the segment. A tad high, but then they want to sell it as a premium compact car. Not exactly a mass motorization buggy!

Cheers.
Old 13th July 2011, 10:37   #28

Ahh. I didnt realize it had a 1.6 Diesel. Although I personally feel all Sedans in comparison have been overpriced too. Including the Verna and especially the Honda City. I wonder if Ford is going to set the same trend with its new Fiesta.
Old 13th July 2011, 13:02   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

A bit late to spot the thread. Nice report and great pics. Really loved the detailed report. Too bad I did have this color choice when I booked the car. Many people here prefer white so it's becoming a common sight. This blue would definitely stand out.

Waiting to hear more about your experience in the long run. Am sure you will enjoy every second of it.

Safe Driving dude.!
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 13:32   #30
BHPian

Congrats for the new Vento, definitely a looker (specially color).
Hope to hear more from you regarding long drives experience, upgrades.
Enjoy the turbo and drive safe.
Nicky is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks