Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2011, 14:32   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bringing home the blue teutonic beauty - VW Vento TDI Highline

Awesome pics Nilesh. Seriously it's your thread(s) like yours that has kept me from running back to the dealer and opting for the available Black color instead of waiting for the Blue.

Btw if you have the time, and the interest , do try to take some beauty shots of your vento in the rain. I have a feeling it is going to look awesome in such a background!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
A bit late to spot the thread. Nice report and great pics. Really loved the detailed report. Too bad I did have this color choice when I booked the car. Many people here prefer white so it's becoming a common sight. This blue would definitely stand out.
Naveen, after a year or so, I doubt any of the colors would stand out for ever! Also I have a feeling VW would be out with a few more colors (for e.g. the ubiquitous Grey shade) along with the face-lifted Vento.

OT : Getting designer graphics on the body of the car (like what Fiesta is offering as "Side Graphics" for the NFS) - does it void the warranty in any manner? Just thinking out aloud.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 14:33   #32
BHPian

Congrats for the new BLUE Vento. For the noisy cold start, check with service station. I had the same problem and they had updated ECU (as told by them). It is much better now.
windsurfer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 14:44   #33

Hey @nileshch Congratulations on the Car and the Color is very nice too.

One Quick question, in your review, you did not speak anything related to controls on the steering wheel, which are available in the similar segment cars. Was this something you were not looking for?
harinathpv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 19:40   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
11 Lakhs?? For a Vento!! Really??

that is just a really really high price. Anyways, Nice Choice of color, reminds me of the early days of the Swift. Also, this is very similar to the Scooby Blue, so if you get new rims for her, Please get Gold ones!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Cyrus,

IMO 11L is pretty much at par with other cars. Do note that the car comes with a 1.6L TDi diesel. The VW TDI s are considered to be from the best diesel engines around today. Add to that, its a fully loaded Highline variant. The car is a lot more solidly built with heavier metal compared to its Japanese / Korean counterparts. In addition, the current level of VW localization (especially in the powertrain area) is low IIRC and that adds to the duties. Whether 11L reaps too much of profit for VW at the expense of Indian buyer is a different matter, but the price is definitely justified when compared to other cars in the segment. A tad high, but then they want to sell it as a premium compact car. Not exactly a mass motorization buggy!

Cheers.
Cyrus, Reinhard is absolutely right. Its a lot more solidly built that other cars. Also do note that 11 lacs OTR is ex-Bangalore. Just the road tax is 1.43 lacs in Karnataka!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Btw if you have the time, and the interest , do try to take some beauty shots of your vento in the rain. I have a feeling it is going to look awesome in such a background!
Of course, this is a great idea. I will try it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer View Post
For the noisy cold start, check with service station. I had the same problem and they had updated ECU (as told by them). It is much better now.
Hmm. ok. Will need to get in touch with them soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harinathpv View Post
One Quick question, in your review, you did not speak anything related to controls on the steering wheel, which are available in the similar segment cars. Was this something you were not looking for?
Harinath, I wasn't too keen on the steering controls. They are not a make or break factor for me. They would be good to have but not really a must-have feature. I am used to pushing the buttons directly on my Zen's music player so don't find the absence any more inconvenient.
Old 13th July 2011, 19:42   #35
BHPian

Hi Nilesh,

I just couldn't leave this thread without congratulating you and your awesome beauty. It just looks stunning. Keep us posted and drive safe.

Couple of questions-

1. Can you pls share the OTR price break up, if you dont mind.

2. Did you have to shell out any extra amount for the blue shade?

I believe Vento doesnt come with a Aux/USB right? And it would be helpful if you can describe the driver side controls.
flyingkolors is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 19:45   #36

@nileshch Thank you for clarifying. There are many things in life we are happy with the old ways, but as technology is changing we are adapting to the new style(s).

I somehow feel that the Vento is not worth 100% of what you pay. This is just my opinion, no offence please
Old 13th July 2011, 21:45   #37
BHPian

Quote:
@nileshch Thank you for clarifying. There are many things in life we are happy with the old ways, but as technology is changing we are adapting to the new style(s).

I somehow feel that the Vento is not worth 100% of what you pay. This is just my opinion, no offence please
+1. Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. The only thing I found refreshing on the Vento is the cool, chic blue colour. With all the defects,my choice would be the Fluidic or the Magnum.

Not to dampen the enthusiasm-Nilesh, pardon the difference in opinion.
Old 14th July 2011, 09:11   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post
Hi Nilesh,

I just couldn't leave this thread without congratulating you and your awesome beauty. It just looks stunning. Keep us posted and drive safe.

Couple of questions-

1. Can you pls share the OTR price break up, if you dont mind.

2. Did you have to shell out any extra amount for the blue shade?

I believe Vento doesnt come with a Aux/USB right? And it would be helpful if you can describe the driver side controls.
Here is the breakup:

9.35 ex-showroom
+ 1.5 road tax & registration
+ 0.3 Insurance
- 0.16 corporate discount
= 10.99 OTR.

No, I did not shell out any extra money for the blue shade. Though I feel it is a tad bit superior & opulent than the black, silver and white. On a bright sunny day, I'll try to capture the difference in close quarters with a few photos.

No, it does not come with Aux/USB. I would have loved to have them and I see that as the only negative point in my priorities. I'll put up a separate post for the driver controls.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
+1. Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. The only thing I found refreshing on the Vento is the cool, chic blue colour. With all the defects,my choice would be the Fluidic or the Magnum.

Not to dampen the enthusiasm-Nilesh, pardon the difference in opinion.
Absolutely no offence, hari and charthom. For me, the driving pleasure was the most important followed by the looks (where I ruled out the Magnum) and I am completely satisfied on those. As for the missing features, I can get them fitted. So my priorities are clear

On a different note, I have completed 1200 kms with the car! I had to come to Mumbai for some urgent work. Couldn't avoid taking the car too (for non-driving reasons).

Wifey and I started out yesterday at 4:00am and reached my Mumbai home at 6:30pm. A distance of 990 kms in 14 hours with 2 breaks (1/2 hour each for breakfast and lunch). I made sure I don't rip it and kept the RPM below 2500 at all times. Soon settled at a speed of 90-100 in the 5th gear at 2200 rpm. With some trial and error, found that this arrangement was giving me the best mileage for as fast I can go during the run-in period.

And you would not believe this. I got an average mileage of 20.2 km/l throughout the trip from Bangalore to Mumbai. All this on a single tankful of diesel!!! I did not stop for fuel before Navi Mumbai. This beats anything I have driven before!

And I must say -- I am ecstatic about the way the car handled the roads. It glided along everywhere, on good roads, bad roads and was solid throughout. No uncomfortable moments, no turbo lag issues. Overtaking was literally fun. The 4th & 5th gear were used throughout, never had to downshift. I would drop to 3rd gear only when speeds were lower than 40kmph.

At the end of the journey, I was fresh as ever. I even did some local errands for the home folks in the evening.

Here is a photo taken on NH4 in the Haveri district of Karnataka:

My Blue Teutonic Beauty | VW Vento TDI Highline | 150,000 km update-img_0478.jpg

Some things I learnt about the car since yesterday:
  1. If the car is locked and you open the boot using the remote, it opens. When you close it, the car locks up automatically again. So you don't have to specifically unlock the car and then open the boot. Neat!
  2. The 7-speed wiper is amazingly useful in the monsoon! I was able to use all speeds at various times. I must say - though it looks like an overkill, they have thought hard before giving 7 levels of speed. The 7 levels are single wipe, Low (4 speeds), Medium & High.
  3. If you keep the lights on and pull out the key from ignition, the car beeps internally to indicate that lights are on! This has happened umpteen times in my old car - I forget to switch off the lights and the battery is dead at the end of the day. duh!
  4. Realized that the armrest can be adjusted at various angles. Again very useful for long drives. I could lock it at a specific higher angle that was comfortable for me.

That's all I can recollect as of now. There are more things. Will add as I remember.
nileshch is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th July 2011, 09:15   #39

@nileshch Awesome. Thank you for taking our comments sportively. As long as you are very clear of what you want and getting, we are with you. End of the day, It's your sweat and blood

I am really dying to a long drive in my new car. Just did one and waiting for the next during the weekend of 23/07.
Old 14th July 2011, 09:18   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post

And you would not believe this. I got an average mileage of 20.2 km/l throughout the trip from Bangalore to Mumbai. All this on a single tankful of diesel!!! I did not stop for fuel before Navi Mumbai. This beats anything I have driven before!

And I must say -- I am ecstatic about the way the car handled the roads. It glided along everywhere, on good roads, bad roads and was solid throughout. No uncomfortable moments, no turbo lag issues. Overtaking was literally fun. The 4th & 5th gear were used throughout, never had to downshift. I would drop to 3rd gear only when speeds were lower than 40kmph.

At the end of the journey, I was fresh as ever. I even did some local errands for the home folks in the evening.
This is great news Nilesh. Mind boggling mileage!! and the wonderful ride and handling. One question-did either of you occupy the rear seats? My main concern was the low and upright rear bench.

Convinced that you have a winner,Nilesh-esp in Blue colour! Enjoy the drive!!

Enchanting scenery and excellent road in the picture,BTW! The blend of cool colours of nature and car is very soothing.

Last edited by charthom : 14th July 2011 at 09:21.
Old 14th July 2011, 11:15   #41
BHPian

Quote:
I am really dying to a long drive in my new car. Just did one and waiting for the next during the weekend of 23/07.
Its the Cruze? Would be awesome to do a long drive in Cruze! All the best and post your trip log!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
This is great news Nilesh. Mind boggling mileage!! and the wonderful ride and handling. One question-did either of you occupy the rear seats? My main concern was the low and upright rear bench.

Convinced that you have a winner,Nilesh-esp in Blue colour! Enjoy the drive!!

Enchanting scenery and excellent road in the picture,BTW! The blend of cool colours of nature and car is very soothing.
Thanks charthom. No, we did not occupy the rear seats. How comfortable is the rear in long journeys remains to be seen!

Last edited by nileshch : 14th July 2011 at 11:21.
Old 14th July 2011, 11:42   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Haha, a 990 km drive on impulse is JUST what having this car makes you do. Congrats Nilesh!

I love it that you are discovering the small yet lovely things about the Vento that make us love it so much. To add to the ones you've mentioned:
- My key does not come out of the ignition unless I've slotted it into P (mine is an AT).
- In addition to the boot-open trick you mentioned, try this: say you need to get shopping out of the back seat and have your hands full to lock the car. What do you do? Simple. Lock the car BEFORE you close that last door (it will lock with a click, not the horn-honk) and then collect your stuff and kick the door closed. It will give you the "locked" horn-honk signal! I love this feature since my daughter sometimes dozes off in the back on longer trips and I can just pick her up in my arms and lock the door ths way!
- Over time you will learn to love the other small things: langorous way the AC operates (taking its time to come on, not the instant reaction a Japanese car gives!), the soft touch of the wiper stalks, the way the turn indicator glows dully if you forget to turn it off, etc.
Have fun!
noopster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2011, 12:28   #43
Senior - BHPian

Apologies for bumping into this thread so alte nilesh. Congrats! I have never imagined Vento as a great looker but your Vento, in that shade of blue, looks absolutely stunning. Apart from the German build, teutonic looks, great ride and handling, the mileage that you are quoting seems too good to be true. Enjoy years and years of supermiling in this car.

PS: The photos are all excellent. Waiting to see more and more snaps of your blue beauty.
arvi86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2011, 19:10   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Haha, a 990 km drive on impulse is JUST what having this car makes you do. Congrats Nilesh!

I love it that you are discovering the small yet lovely things about the Vento that make us love it so much. To add to the ones you've mentioned:
- My key does not come out of the ignition unless I've slotted it into P (mine is an AT).
- In addition to the boot-open trick you mentioned, try this: say you need to get shopping out of the back seat and have your hands full to lock the car. What do you do? Simple. Lock the car BEFORE you close that last door (it will lock with a click, not the horn-honk) and then collect your stuff and kick the door closed. It will give you the "locked" horn-honk signal! I love this feature since my daughter sometimes dozes off in the back on longer trips and I can just pick her up in my arms and lock the door ths way!
- Over time you will learn to love the other small things: langorous way the AC operates (taking its time to come on, not the instant reaction a Japanese car gives!), the soft touch of the wiper stalks, the way the turn indicator glows dully if you forget to turn it off, etc.
Have fun!
Noopster, thanks for sharing these. I just tried the second thing. Did not give me the horn-honk signal. But it did lock the last open door when I closed it.

Yes, I love the way the AC 'powers up' slowly. And the way the cabin lights switch on softly when I unlock the car. They remain on when I get into the car. Then they dim out slowly when I start the car. So well-thought.

The car feels lively and intelligible with all these small tweaks!
Old 15th July 2011, 11:41   #45
Senior - BHPian

That's a looker you have got, congratulations Nileshch. I wish i had opted for this instead of white, however when i enquired about the change of colour, I was discouraged against it stating the crazy waiting periods!

Did you try negotiating with your dealer for a 5K discount for the missing steering grip, chrome inserts etc as one of our other members have mentioned in the test drive thread? Also, did you check if only the steering chrome insert can be bought as accessory? It looks very elegant.

Congratulations on your buy and wishing you a very pleasent ownership experience.
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed