Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2011, 09:46   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My 3 Cylinder Ride - Maruti Wagon R VXI ABS - 11 years / 90,000 km up!

Hi,its been quite sometime.Hows your car doing?We are in process of booking a White Vxi with ABS and Airbags.How is the current FE?Any problems you've had till now?How is the city driving?Is the low end torque troubling?

Last edited by BoneCollector : 7th November 2011 at 09:47.
Old 29th November 2011, 17:21   #32
BHPian

hi,
I am a proud onwer of wagon R since 2002. I had a 2002 model lx which I drove for 1,22,000/- Km before I exchanged it with a new WagonR in 2010 Nov. the new one has done almost 13000/- km and I have no problems with it whatso ever.
I must confess that I have such an asbolute trust on Wagon R that my 2007 March Honda city ( hardly 26 K ) is our second car.... even for long drives...

Wagon R is a functional/ no frills VFM hatch....
Old 2nd December 2011, 11:43   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Hi,its been quite sometime.Hows your car doing?We are in process of booking a White Vxi with ABS and Airbags.How is the current FE?Any problems you've had till now?How is the city driving?Is the low end torque troubling?
Hello! Yeah, it has been a long time. Was totally busy and engaged with exams and some other stuff. So had always been out of station. I apologize for not updating my thread. The FE has been pretty good till date. Till the time I measured, it hovered around 15 to 16 kmpl in the city with A/C. But I tell you, it varies a lot considering the way you drive and the number of passengers. City driving is reasonable and definitely not annoying. But I might prefer Nano over the Wagon-R for driving within the city, just because of the better low end torque. Nevertheless, the Wagon-R is good for city use. The car has not given any problems till date (touchwood). Have given it for the 3rd service presently. What is your budget and which all cars did you consider?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vu2pmc View Post
hi,
I am a proud onwer of wagon R since 2002. I had a 2002 model lx which I drove for 1,22,000/- Km before I exchanged it with a new WagonR in 2010 Nov. the new one has done almost 13000/- km and I have no problems with it whatso ever.
I must confess that I have such an asbolute trust on Wagon R that my 2007 March Honda city ( hardly 26 K ) is our second car.... even for long drives...

Wagon R is a functional/ no frills VFM hatch....
Wow! Nice to see someone so experienced and satisfied with a Wagon-R. My car has completed just 5500 kms till date! Wishing you many more happy miles with your car. And as you put it, Wagon R IS a functional, no frill VFM hatchback and way improved than the older one.
Old 2nd December 2011, 13:56   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
What is your budget and which all cars did you consider?
Budget was not that big a constraint than proper after sales service.I'm still not happy with the low end torque of WagonR but then i dont see many options due to lack of after sales service.Will be booking in Jan.Hopefully making a right decision.Details in the following thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...-decision.html
Old 2nd December 2011, 14:03   #35
BHPian

I also bought Wagon R Vxi last month. No major issue till now except strange smell from blower when AC is turned ON.
Did any one experienced wet mud like smell when ac is turned on after 7-8 hours? This lasts for initial 1 min and then goes away.
Old 10th February 2012, 23:51   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Question to all the people having Vxi,the center console has a button marked 'USB'.Has the system got a USB drive?If yes,location of the same and if no,has anyone connected a USB drive to it?I have booked a Vxi with delivery expected in another 2 weeks.Thanks in advance.
Old 6th May 2013, 14:16   #37
BHPian

I reckon its more than a year since i updated about my Wagon-R!! The car is doing great and we're extremely satisfied with her.

The odo has reached 23,200 mark with the last 18,000 kms coming in just 15 months! Had some good highway drives twice to Thrissur and back, three or four times to Ernakulam and back, one to Kottayam, etc. It behaves very well in the highway with good control and stability till 100 kmph (Haven't done anything beyond that). Excellent Air Con without any sun-films, good FE in highways and moderate FE in the city and very practical! Will post a detailed report soon and if anyone wants to know anything specifically, please do ask and I'l try my level best to answer them with my limited knowledge.

Latest FE for the drive mentioned below (Tvm-Kottayam-Tvm) with moderately spirited driving
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3113983

Speeds: Good roads - b/w 65-90 kmph, poor roads:40-60 kmph
A/C: 100%
No passengers: Onward - 2; Return - 3 with luggage.
Tankfull to tankfull :15.01 liters
Distance covered for the same : 293 km
FE: 19.5 km/l

Thats great considering the traffic during the return journey and the way i drove the car! LOL

Cheers!!
Old 9th August 2013, 19:36   #38
BHPian

Quote:
I reckon its more than a year since i updated about my Wagon-R!! The car is doing great and we're extremely satisfied with her.

The odo has reached 23,200 mark with the last 18,000 kms coming in just 15 months! Had some good highway drives twice to Thrissur and back, three or four times to Ernakulam and back, one to Kottayam, etc. It behaves very well in the highway with good control and stability till 100 kmph (Haven't done anything beyond that). Excellent Air Con without any sun-films, good FE in highways and moderate FE in the city and very practical! Will post a detailed report soon and if anyone wants to know anything specifically, please do ask and I'l try my level best to answer them with my limited knowledge.

Latest FE for the drive mentioned below (Tvm-Kottayam-Tvm) with moderately spirited driving
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3113983

Speeds: Good roads - b/w 65-90 kmph, poor roads:40-60 kmph
A/C: 100%
No passengers: Onward - 2; Return - 3 with luggage.
Tankfull to tankfull :15.01 liters
Distance covered for the same : 293 km
FE: 19.5 km/l

Thats great considering the traffic during the return journey and the way i drove the car! LOL

Cheers!!
I am contemplating the buy of the same model of Wagon R + ABS +Airbags. I own a Ford Ikon currently(1.6). I want to experience low cost of ownership + fuel efficiency and also my wife should be able to drive it. MY question is if there are any major faults that you experienced at all. Thank you.
Old 11th August 2013, 19:07   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst_delhi View Post
I am contemplating the buy of the same model of Wagon R + ABS +Airbags. I own a Ford Ikon currently(1.6). I want to experience low cost of ownership + fuel efficiency and also my wife should be able to drive it. MY question is if there are any major faults that you experienced at all. Thank you.
Nothing at all! It's been a very trouble free ownership. The only sad part being an accident (not the car's fault). The few areas that I would have loved to see some improvement might be the low-end torque. But using the car for a few weeks should train you well as to how to extract the power from this engine. Right now, i don't find it to be an issue since I'm quite used to it and keep the engine above 2.3k for overtaking, inclines, etc. Very user-friendly, awesome A/C, everything works well without any niggles and my mom loves to drive this car. But, since you're moving from an Ikon, don't expect the driving experience to be anywhere close to that. This is so very neutral/ boring to drive in comparison.
freakmuzik is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2013, 19:23   #40
BHPian

Superb detailed review with great attention, I must say!

Perfect decision of owning the top-end variant. My younger bro owns a Wagon Vxi as well (the one without ABS & Airbags), however I did insist him a lot to take the ABS variant. He purchased it 1.5 years back (Jan 2012) and has clocked a decent 6k kms so far on the Odo. He is very happy with the overall package. No niggles so far.
Old 12th August 2013, 14:31   #41
BHPian

+1 to this thread. I am another proud Wagon R VXi owner, done almost 7K on the odo in about 10 months. No niggles, till date. The car is serving well in daily drives to office including B2B traffic.

With 70% free moving and 30% B2B traffic, we are getting an average of ~14 kmpl.
Old 12th August 2013, 14:39   #42
BHPian

Quote:
I have had a "blue eyed boy" VXI ABS since Dec 2010 or so and I had to replace my clutch at least 3 times!!. Though the SA claims that I was riding the clutch, I have never done so and this is not the first car I have owned and never faced any issue in any of my previous cars.

Wagon R is a fantastic city car but if you are used to long drives and plan to use it on highways, suggest that you look elsewhere. Overtaking on highways is a pain and driving on ghats, less said the better. You will definitely feel the lack of power especially since you will be coming from an Ikon 1.6.

Last edited by chennai-indian : 12th August 2013 at 14:41.
Old 12th August 2013, 22:57   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chennai-indian View Post
I have had a "blue eyed boy" VXI ABS since Dec 2010 or so and I had to replace my clutch at least 3 times!!. Though the SA claims that I was riding the clutch, I have never done so and this is not the first car I have owned and never faced any issue in any of my previous cars.

Wagon R is a fantastic city car but if you are used to long drives and plan to use it on highways, suggest that you look elsewhere. Overtaking on highways is a pain and driving on ghats, less said the better. You will definitely feel the lack of power especially since you will be coming from an Ikon 1.6.
Point Well Taken! I have booked a Ford Figo Diesel ZXI now. I have been spoilt by an Ikon to say the least! Thank you all!
Old 14th August 2013, 11:33   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satshan View Post
Superb detailed review with great attention, I must say!

Perfect decision of owning the top-end variant. My younger bro owns a Wagon Vxi as well (the one without ABS & Airbags), however I did insist him a lot to take the ABS variant. He purchased it 1.5 years back (Jan 2012) and has clocked a decent 6k kms so far on the Odo. He is very happy with the overall package. No niggles so far.
Thank you ! And great to know that the car is serving him well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
+1 to this thread. I am another proud Wagon R VXi owner, done almost 7K on the odo in about 10 months. No niggles, till date. The car is serving well in daily drives to office including B2B traffic.

With 70% free moving and 30% B2B traffic, we are getting an average of ~14 kmpl.
Thank you ! And that's a pretty decent FE. I assume it's with the A/C on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chennai-indian View Post

Clutch issues? That's sad! What was the specific issue ? Are you still experiencing the same? Touchwood, I haven't had any issues with the clutch. Still seems perfectly fine. And yeah, about the low-end torque, you're totally right. But I guess altering your driving style a bit improves the driving experience by leaps. But no where close to the ford for sure!
Quote:
Point Well Taken! I have booked a Ford Figo Diesel ZXI now. I have been spoilt by an Ikon to say the least! Thank you all!
Great decision Congrats on your new car and I guess you must be happy to be sticking on to the Ford family once again. So you can still enjoy the Ford driving experience !! If its ok, can you share the on-road price?

And coming to my Waggie, it'l turn 3 years old this December and has clocked 29k kms as of now. The couple of minor niggles as of now are two rattles - one from the boot and another from the front seat (only when unoccupied) - which surfaced after a trip over the worst highways ever - Haripad to Alappuzha stretch and the Kottayam to Chengannur stretch! I sprained my back after this trip and am still not okay!

Covered 506 km:
Tvm - Tripunithura - went around in ekm - Kottayam - Tvm

The NH 47 till Haripad is decent, much better than the earlier state. But after that till Cherthala, the roads are non-existent. I felt so sad for my lil hatchback. Cherthala to ernakulam has beautiful roads except for the Aroor bridge which has been closed on one side.

The ekm - Kottayam road (via Thalayolapparambu - Kanjiramattom - Ettumanoor) was great with narrow twisty roads (I love those btw). But kottayam to Chengannur, a distance of 37 km, took more than 1 and a half hours! There were no roads literally. I don't know the state of my Waggies suspension. But the MC road from there on was beautiful!

Got an average of 17 km/l for this trip with 100% A/C, 3 people and luggage. Till ekm, the fuel bars dropped very slowly and the average must have been around 20 km/l for sure! But the rest of the journey made it so worse.

I drove pretty fast and always tried keeping the revvs above 2k - 2.3k and it was fun! The car moves so much better above this and overtaking wasn't as difficult as before. And revving this engine to these levels only bettered the FE according to my observation. Even in the city, while shifting gears at 2.2k to 2.5k, the FE is around 14 and by shifting at around 3k and by keeping the revvs mostly above 2k, the FE improves to nearly 15 to 16 km/l !

Cheers!
freakmuzik is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2013, 23:33   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you ! And great to know that the car is serving him well.

Thank you ! And that's a pretty decent FE. I assume it's with the A/C on?

Clutch issues? That's sad! What was the specific issue ? Are you still experiencing the same? Touchwood, I haven't had any issues with the clutch. Still seems perfectly fine. And yeah, about the low-end torque, you're totally right. But I guess altering your driving style a bit improves the driving experience by leaps. But no where close to the ford for sure!

Great decision Congrats on your new car and I guess you must be happy to be sticking on to the Ford family once again. So you can still enjoy the Ford driving experience !! If its ok, can you share the on-road price?

Cheers!

On road came to 5.8Lacs with corporate discount , loyalty bonus,insurance and some other discount. Yes I needed the driving experience as I got addicted to the Ford driving experience

Last edited by Catalyst_delhi : 14th August 2013 at 23:34. Reason: spelling mistake

Most Viewed