Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2011, 10:57   #1
BHPian

My new "Fluidic" Hyundai Verna 1.6L Diesel

Fellow BHPians,

After just about a month of wait, finally I have taken the delivery of my car, a Crystal White 1.6 CRDi Verna SX. I’m truly impressed by Hyundai’s transformation of the previous generation Verna (which looked pathetic).

Background
For the last 3 years (it’s a pretty long search), I was in search of a new car. I have always loved the surge of power a CRDI power-train delivers. I was looking out for a car that can match the fun. A few cars were racy but I was unable to find the right package. We are family of 6 footers, so a car which can seat atleast two 6 footers one behind the other was important. After being disgusted with the A.S.S of Skoda, reliability of the service centre was also a key factor in deciding our new car.

Options
Verna (previous generation)
As my car was due for a change long long ago, the previous generation Verna too was in my radar then. The only thing I liked about the car was the powertrain. The dislike list was much longer. It is no surprise that the Verna did not do well in spite of an excellent engine.

Cruze
I liked the driving comfort and looks of this car. I was put off by bad SR and disturbing A.S.S and not to mention the high cost of spares by the American brand.

Fabia
Loved it. Booked it. Loathed it.
Instead of replacing the accent I replaced my other hatchback. Was an excellent car, apart from the noisy yet powerful engine. The A.S.S was/is/will be pathetic. High cost of spares coupled with issues cropping up after a service visit and paint peeling off (yes, the paint job done by the dealer, did peel off). So, we had to drop the idea of picking up another car from the Skoda stable.

City
The one of the best petrol cars in this segment still! I loved the performance of the engine, good suspension. It was a pleasure to drive in the city and in the highway. The paddle shift was awesome! But, unfortunately, as it was a petrol motor, it was vetoed by my father. So I had to cancel the booking.

Vento
Lovely car. Plain interiors. Long waiting period and a slightly noisy engine put me off the purchase.

Laura
The car is an awesome package. After my nightmarish experience with Skoda’s A.S.S., I had to drop it.

Corolla
Corolla diesel was unimpressive. The looks and the performance were quite disappointing.

Jetta
As the New Jetta was to be launched soon, I had to drop the idea.

Test Drive & Booking experience & dealer Review
I had my sights on AHNV when I saw the pictures of the car during an auto show last year. Was delighted that designers at Hyundai were changing the looks of its ugly duckling (it got worse with the Verna Transform) I wanted to TD it soon.

After a day it was launched, made a visit to the nearest dealership. Before I took the TD, I saw a middle aged guy argue with SR. He wanted a TD of a diesel. The SR amused, was trying to convey that it was the diesel that he test drove a couple of minute ago. That was how silent the engine was. Amazing for a diesel.

I took a quick and short drive as there were lot of people waiting for a test drive. I was happy with the interiors but not delighted. The blue lighting on the HU didn’t seem to work for me. And the wood trim was not even as good as the ones that were on my accent. Those looked cheap. I was happy with the Electric-Chromic IRVM. Driving during the night was a pain, with a few blokes using only high-beam. This would make it easy to see clearly even others use the high-beam. I was happy to have a 1.6 CRDi, an upgrade from the 1.5 in the accent. There is no gush of power, this seems to be a bit smooth rush though.

A few days later it was the weekend, and I drove to my dealer, who was handling my accent for the past 7 years. I booked the car by paying 50% of the ex-showroom price for a quick delivery of the car. About 10 days later, the SR wanted me to pay the remaining amount, so that they can deliver the car by the first or second week of June. Paid the full amount and eagerly waited for the SR to call tell me the car was ready. The SR calls finally, only to tell me that HMIL were out of diesel engines and were awaiting the shipment of the engines. I was disappointed, hung up the phone. Ten days later, SR calls back, saying I need to do the paperwork so that he can send the car for registration when it arrives. I asked him to change the insurance to a Zero-Depreciation policy. And, Voila, there was my new ride, A Crystal White SX CRDi, awaiting a journey of a million miles!

The Verna RB, which is a fourth generation Accent, is a car filled with features that would give the premium C / D segment a scare. The design element which was a major drawback for a Hyundai, is now the much talked about of Hyundai after the Fluidic Verna.

Now, coming to the drive, it is such a pleasure driving the car in the city. I would say its a perfect urban sedan. The ride which is soft, smoothens all the un-even roads with ease. But, this makes it a bit bouncy while at higher speeds on the highway. I have loved every moment driving it though.

The diesel motor may go un-noticed at petrol bunks, petrol bunk attendants may mistake it for a petrol. So you need to be extra careful while you fill the fuel now. The engine is pretty racy and efficient too. I have been getting about 17 kmpl (I don’t know if I should be impressed with the car or my driving).

The interior is filled with a pleasant beige and a bit of chrome for the Indian customer. I like the anti-skid surface though. Hope it lasts. The air-conditioning is pretty good for a hot and humid city that I live in. The ICE is not bad. I am happy with the Bluetooth thrown in. The audio controls on the steering and the remote for the rear passenger is a good thing. Driver seat with the height adjustment makes it the best seat to be on in the car. Wonder why none of the car manufacturers have the same for the front passenger seat. The rear seat should have been a bit better.

The Fluidic Verna, is a good city car. For people who travel a bit, would recommend the auto box for a pleasant city drive. Loads of useful features for a C Segment car making it a winner.

1. It has to be the super silent 1.6 diesel motor.
2. Soft suspension for a comfortable ride on Indian roads
3. Safety features: ABS, Airbags, Electric-Chromic IRVM
4. Reverse Camera, a must for its design already incorporated as a feature
5. Love, the light steering, a must for a urban drive. But, one needs to get used to it.
6. Electric folding mirrors is a good addition for C Segment car, guess the premium sedan segment should buck up with their product features now.

Dislikes
1. No illumination of power window switches
2. A pretty long waiting period
3. Rear seat may be a strain for long journeys. Was fine for short trip. Most of the time spent driving the car which is a pleasure.

Upgrades
HU upgrade: CASKA when they launch their HU for the Fluidic and a minor audio upgrade
Stanley Leather
May be a light tint sun film
3D Mats: Checked
HID (yet to decide)
Attached Thumbnails
My new "Fluidic" Hyundai Verna 1.6L Diesel-img_20110629_213449.jpg  

My new "Fluidic" Hyundai Verna 1.6L Diesel-img_20110629_213441.jpg  

My new "Fluidic" Hyundai Verna 1.6L Diesel-img_20110629_213315.jpg  

My new "Fluidic" Hyundai Verna 1.6L Diesel-img_20110629_213309.jpg  

My new "Fluidic" Hyundai Verna 1.6L Diesel-img_20110701_010645.jpg  

My new "Fluidic" Hyundai Verna 1.6L Diesel-img_20110701_010655.jpg  

My new "Fluidic" Hyundai Verna 1.6L Diesel-img_20110701_010557.jpg  

Last edited by jk007 : 1st July 2011 at 01:36.
jk007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2011, 16:00   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My new "Fluidic" Hyundai Verna 1.6L Diesel

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial ownership reports forum section. Congrats on the car, and thanks for sharing your review with the community.
Old 2nd July 2011, 16:04   #3
BHPian

Congrats on the fluidic Verna.Looks hot in white.The car looks much better than their previous attempt and I am now a fan of hyundai's fluidic sculpture.Please post better pics of the beauty.Drive safe.
Sreehari
Old 2nd July 2011, 16:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congrats buddy, your Verna looks good... I believe it is the second White ANHV in forum. The 3D mats are also good.

But the images could have been better.

Regarding your mileage figures (17 kmpl), these are good because your driving style matched the way Hyndai's Cars are meant to be driven.

Wishing your happy miles ahead.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2011, 18:24   #5
BHPian

@jk007 congrats on your new purbhase. It is truly looking beautiful in white colour. Wish you many happy and safe miles. What all accessories have you planned to install?? Do post some more better pictures of the car.
Old 2nd July 2011, 19:24   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shk 8896 View Post
Congrats on the fluidic Verna.Looks hot in white.The car looks much better than their previous attempt and I am now a fan of hyundai's fluidic sculpture.Please post better pics of the beauty.Drive safe.
Sreehari
Thank you for the wishes! It does look great in white. Thanks to @mathranik, the first member to get the Verna. I had originally booked the Silver. But, changed it to the stunning white. Will definitely try to post more pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Congrats buddy, your Verna looks good... I believe it is the second White ANHV in forum. The 3D mats are also good.

But the images could have been better.

Regarding your mileage figures (17 kmpl), these are good because your driving style matched the way Hyndai's Cars are meant to be driven.

Wishing your happy miles ahead.
Thank you for your kind words! 3D mats gel with the beige interiors and fit perfectly. Im very happy with the purchase.

I was expecting only 14-15 kmpl for the Verna. I am truly impressed with the diesel motor's efficiency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
@jk007 congrats on your new purbhase. It is truly looking beautiful in white colour. Wish you many happy and safe miles. What all accessories have you planned to install?? Do post some more better pictures of the car.
Thank you so much. As of now only the 3D mats are fitted. I would like to upgrade the ICE and the HU to CASKA (when they launch HU for the Verna). Promise to put up better pictures in the near future.
Old 2nd July 2011, 20:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations for your new Hyundai fluidic Verna. I completely agree with you that this gen Verna is absolutely a looker and many miles ahead in terms of design as compared to previous gen Verna.

So update the thread with more pics and regular service upgrades.

Wishing you happy and safe driving.
Old 2nd July 2011, 22:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Jk007 - Few questions

- Which Dealership?
- Where did you get the 3D mats from in Chennai?
- Do you live in someplace near Velachery?
- IMO - CASKA may not be required as the stock unit has pre-outs and you can add amplifiers/sub-woofer to upgrade your ICE.

Have a pleasent ownership experience.
Old 2nd July 2011, 22:15   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Congratulations for your new Hyundai fluidic Verna. I completely agree with you that this gen Verna is absolutely a looker and many miles ahead in terms of design as compared to previous gen Verna.

So update the thread with more pics and regular service upgrades.

Wishing you happy and safe driving.
Thank you! Will post some good pics soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Congratulations Jk007 - Few questions

- Which Dealership?
- Where did you get the 3D mats from in Chennai?
- Do you live in someplace near Velachery?
- IMO - CASKA may not be required as the stock unit has pre-outs and you can add amplifiers/sub-woofer to upgrade your ICE.

Have a pleasent ownership experience.
Thank you!

- HMP Chennai
- Privilege MotoMall (opposite YMCA Nandanam Ph: 24348008/9840169399)
- Close to Adyar
- I need the LCD screen and navigation as well, so the CASKA. This would also give an OEM finish.
Old 2nd July 2011, 22:30   #10
BHPian

Congrats on the purchase, jk!! I love the fluidic design.
How is the interior quality of the car? Is it as good as say, the Vento?

Keep updating the thread, hope to see some details of long highway drives soon.

Wish you many happy miles ahead!!!
Old 2nd July 2011, 23:08   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
Congrats on the purchase, jk!! I love the fluidic design.
How is the interior quality of the car? Is it as good as say, the Vento?

Keep updating the thread, hope to see some details of long highway drives soon.

Wish you many happy miles ahead!!!

Thanks Speed.Demon! Interior quality is pretty good. Hyundai has tried its hands on many different textures and colours and been pretty successful. Love the anti skid surface. Lots of beige for the Indian customer. And a little of chrome to make it appealing and top notch.
Old 2nd July 2011, 23:12   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your car,

And better Q pictures,please! The pics you put up don't do justice.
Old 3rd July 2011, 00:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations, the car looks wonderful. I am yet to get a test drive in Bangalore. Was scheduled last week but got pushed. Now that i am away from town it will be done once i return. Did you test drive a petrol as well? If yes how did you find it in comparison to Diesel.
Old 3rd July 2011, 03:01   #14
BHPian

JK007, Congrats you've got the best eye pleasing car.
Can you share how long you waited since booking this ?

Also post more pics, take sometime out for T-bhp members and click more pics from dash board to boot, covering everything, this will certainly help us all.

Lastly, as I've already posted how horrible is Hyundai in our town, Its been months and still I don't get a test drive, mine is a small town, i am sure they are not interested in making efforts to sell another unit.
I would prefer going to another town to pick it up, if I am ever buying hyundai again.
Old 3rd July 2011, 03:29   #15
BHPian

Congratulations on your purchase JK !. I love the looks of this car, it definitely got a huge road presence. Do post more pictures please ! Wish you a great experience !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks