Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2011, 21:12   #61
BHPian

Re: When truck drivers go hatch hopping

@tsk1979-I have travelled in the Ritz only once-in the rear bench.I found the ride very unsettled and harsh. After the extensive hunt,are you sure,Ritz is the right match? Personally,I would not consider the Ritz.
Old 5th July 2011, 21:15   #62
BHPian

Tanveer,

In you other thread I had voted for Figo but even while knowing your dislike for Tata-FIAT I would still suggest you to test drive a Punto before you freeze on Ritz.

It is built like a tank and the ride & handling is awesome and coupled to that the responsive & sharp steering you get a beautiful Car which can take a lot of abuse.

An being a recent Palio owner I can surely say that FIAT's A.S.S is not horrible as it is made out to be. I have been to the A.S.S for 4 services and I have always given them 9/10 rating.

Last edited by lloydofcochin : 5th July 2011 at 21:17.
Old 5th July 2011, 21:31   #63
Team-BHP Support

So basically its a lottery. You buy a petrol car, and if you are lucky you get a diesel instead.
Isn't it better, I spend 100rs, and buy a 50 lakh lottery, and then buy a fotuner or something?
I mean why would I pay 500,000 for a lottery ticket, which will give me a 600,000 prize value, instead of 100rs lottery with a chance to win a crore or 50 lakhs.

Points to ponder I guess
Old 5th July 2011, 21:35   #64
Senior - BHPian

@tsk: Being in the same category as yours (owing a Safari and 10 years old Indica), I kinda liked the Volkswagen POLO. Although its out of your budget and the engine is also not that spirited, one should like the neatiness and simplicity of design. TD one you might like the car and some SUV features like reach adjustable steering.

Last edited by mercedised : 5th July 2011 at 21:37.
Old 5th July 2011, 21:48   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
@tsk: Being in the same category as yours (owing a Safari and 10 years old Indica), I kinda liked the Volkswagen POLO. Although its out of your budget and the engine is also not that spirited, one should like the neatiness and simplicity of design. TD one you might like the car and some SUV features like reach adjustable steering.
In tanveer's Lingo,Polo,would be just another tractor.
unless VW comes out with the 1.5L diesel.
1.2 is Quite noisy and sluggish.
Old 5th July 2011, 22:53   #66
Senior - BHPian

The Polo's diesel engine is definitely the worst of the lot.

I am surprised at your choice of Ritz considering that you do lot of highway driving and also your requirement of space. Also, the boot of Ritz is virtually non-existent.

I had a TD of the I20 diesel y'day -

Pros -
Very refined diesel motor...best-in-class
Turbo lag is there but I felt it is better than the Swift/Punto
Once past 1800 rpm, it pulls real quick
Pretty rev-happy, goes past 4K rpm with ease.
Nice interiors, but too much of chrome.
Quite spacious
Decent size boot.
Ride is good at low speeds/small bumps
Lots of features like bluetooth,ACC, folding mirrors, blinkers on OVRMs, steering audio and bluetooth controls to keep you pampered.

Cons -
Ride becomes unsettled at high speeds/bigger bumps due to the soft suspension
The biggest culprit is the super-light steering with zero feel/feedback.
Due to the steering and soft suspension, handling is bad - in fact, worst of all the cars in its class. Definitely not for the enthusiast.
AC is ok, not very chilling.

I would recommend the Figo or the Punto - both have very good handling characteristics.

I am surprised to hear from you about the lack of power in Figo diesel - it has the least turbo lag and best driveability. Only issue is that the power band is narrow and the torque drops of rapidly ..so it can't be revved like a MJD or a I20 diesel.

Last edited by adimicra : 5th July 2011 at 22:59.
Old 5th July 2011, 23:14   #67
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer, as an Indica V2 Lsi 2003 owner, I can understand your vow not to look at another Tata hatchback :-). However, the Vista seems to be in a different league compared to our old Indicas. And the rear seat space is exceptional in all Indicas - we did trips with two passengers and one big, boisterous, barmy dog at the back - everyone survived fine.

Quick question: How come you are not looking at the Liva?

OT: We did have our memorable moments in the Indica, which was our first car. Our daughter and two pups came home in that vehicle. We did many many weekend trips in that vehicle. But the reliability factor (something going wrong at the wrong place at the wrong time) was a big pain. Had too many trips to the service centre and dished out too much money with my Indica. I am about the sell the vehicle. My ongoing servicing is costing me 13K due to starting issues, oil change etc. :-(. I also own a Maruti and a Toyota now. But I guess we are most sentimental about our first vehicle - so many memories attached! At least my wife is - me, not so much.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 5th July 2011 at 23:18.
Old 6th July 2011, 00:33   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Unfortunately, adjustable steering, whether in the safari or in a hatch is totally useless for me. I always have to set it to max top position, which is the position by default in cars without such an adjustment
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
In tanveer's Lingo,Polo,would be just another tractor.
unless VW comes out with the 1.5L diesel.
1.2 is Quite noisy and sluggish.
Expensive tractor too
Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
The Polo's diesel engine is definitely the worst of the lot.

I am surprised at your choice of Ritz considering that you do lot of highway driving and also your requirement of space. Also, the boot of Ritz is virtually non-existent.

I had a TD of the I20 diesel y'day -

Pros -
Very refined diesel motor...best-in-class
Turbo lag is there but I felt it is better than the Swift/Punto
Once past 1800 rpm, it pulls real quick
Pretty rev-happy, goes past 4K rpm with ease.
Nice interiors, but too much of chrome.
Quite spacious
Decent size boot.
Ride is good at low speeds/small bumps
Lots of features like bluetooth,ACC, folding mirrors, blinkers on OVRMs, steering audio and bluetooth controls to keep you pampered.

Cons -
Ride becomes unsettled at high speeds/bigger bumps due to the soft suspension
The biggest culprit is the super-light steering with zero feel/feedback.
Due to the steering and soft suspension, handling is bad - in fact, worst of all the cars in its class. Definitely not for the enthusiast.
AC is ok, not very chilling.

I would recommend the Figo or the Punto - both have very good handling characteristics.

I am surprised to hear from you about the lack of power in Figo diesel - it has the least turbo lag and best driveability. Only issue is that the power band is narrow and the torque drops of rapidly ..so it can't be revved like a MJD or a I20 diesel.
When I say space, it does not mean the highest space. IF that was the criteria, then a DTC bus is the best. I need enough space to fit comfortably in front seat, and fit two medium sized suitcases in the boot.
Ritz does that.
As for figo, its very drivable in city, but I need a car where I can comfortable accelerate from 70 in 5th gear, and figo is not that cae
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Tanveer, as an Indica V2 Lsi 2003 owner, I can understand your vow not to look at another Tata hatchback :-). However, the Vista seems to be in a different league compared to our old Indicas. And the rear seat space is exceptional in all Indicas - we did trips with two passengers and one big, boisterous, barmy dog at the back - everyone survived fine.

Quick question: How come you are not looking at the Liva?

OT: We did have our memorable moments in the Indica, which was our first car. Our daughter and two pups came home in that vehicle. We did many many weekend trips in that vehicle. But the reliability factor (something going wrong at the wrong place at the wrong time) was a big pain. Had too many trips to the service centre and dished out too much money with my Indica. I am about the sell the vehicle. My ongoing servicing is costing me 13K due to starting issues, oil change etc. :-(. I also own a Maruti and a Toyota now. But I guess we are most sentimental about our first vehicle - so many memories attached! At least my wife is - me, not so much.
Liva diesel may or may not come. Even if it comes, it may take many months. Our car is a more immediate need. We are practically left with one car, and if safari goes to workshop, we can't even make a highway trip to PB

BTW, I have seen lot of people talking about handling, and high speed poise and all that. Please remember, I drive the automoble equivalent of a container ship on very narrow mountain roads. For me a Ritz has the handling of a track spec ferrari.
So when I apply brakes if the car does not go somersaulting, or spinning in circles, I consider it excellent handling

Last edited by tsk1979 : 6th July 2011 at 00:40.
Old 6th July 2011, 07:56   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post

When I say space, it does not mean the highest space. IF that was the criteria, then a DTC bus is the best. I need enough space to fit comfortably in front seat, and fit two medium sized suitcases in the boot.
Ritz does that.
As for figo, its very drivable in city, but I need a car where I can comfortable accelerate from 70 in 5th gear, and figo is not that cae
Ok buddy, best of luck with your choice!
I thought your options are restricted to cars only, didn't know buses are also into consideration

I will have a TD of the Figo diesel today (for a friend) and I will test out the same what you have said - acceleration from 70 in 5th gear.
Old 6th July 2011, 08:35   #70
Team-BHP Support

Tanveer ; Roll on figures between the TDCi and DDis are off by 1 sec (20-80 in 3rd and 40-100 in 4th)

Maybe, just maybe, mappings and state of tune is the culprit.

One more concern as far as Maruti's diesels go (nothing against the engine). The way they skimp, on features. Nowadays, visibility is so much reduced in a hatch if there is no rear wash and even if you ready to pay, you won't get one.

I believe its the Ritz for you, decided on color? Bakers Choco gets my vote or white.
Old 6th July 2011, 08:40   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I am not saying it will not touch 120.
All I am saying that it weighs almost 200kgs more than the Ritz, and has 6 less horses. So unless ford is lying about the engine power, it cannot be as fast as the multi jets.
While testing I took the car to around 75 on a slightly rising road(slight uphill), in 5th gear, and then floored it. Same was done with swift and ritz diesel. I do a lot of hill driving, and do not want to downshift every time slight elevations come.
Even on level ground, 5th gear pickup from 70-80kmph was found wanting. Of course city drivability is adequate for the figo. Its the highway which is an issue. Esp with 200kgs payload.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ture-list.html

figo is 20kg lesser

will email u with ripper. he sold a siwft vdi with petes and bought a figo
Old 6th July 2011, 08:42   #72
BHPian

Quote:

I will have a TD of the Figo diesel today (for a friend) and I will test out the same what you have said - acceleration from 70 in 5th gear.
adimicra, Please do post your experience about that and in general also. I am very much interested in that.
Old 6th July 2011, 08:47   #73
Senior - BHPian

As it is going to be the Ritz, looking forward to another ownership experience soon.
How is the rattles, fir&finish of Ritz vis-a-vis the Swift.
I have seen many a Ritz in the Kerala Highways but definitely is not a scorcher, but a city cum highway traveler.
Old 6th July 2011, 08:49   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Great thread as usual.

My $0.02 worth of observations :

I20 @48000:
1. @9000 Steering rattle. Replaced tie rods and rack ends under warranty.
2. @35000 Front struts leaked. Replaced under warranty.
3. @~30000 the clutch has become hard and engages only at the bottom. No slippage. No adjustment possible. I have not replaced it but is a pain to drive it in stop go traffic. Not covered under warranty even if it gives heartache at 20K or 10K on odo.

Now I am fearing that I will have to go for steering rattle operation again and finally get clutch replaced. Quoted ~15k for the latter. No warranty now. A/c is low performer. Can not cool car in midst of heat even on highway continuous drives. Great interiors and body work does not rattle.

Swift (petrol) @980000:
Rattles from body. I learned to tune them out.
Tie rods changed once @60000
Basic interiors but love the chilling of A/c
Old 6th July 2011, 09:27   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ok buddy, best of luck with your choice!
I thought your options are restricted to cars only, didn't know buses are also into consideration

Simulate a highway overtake. Cruise at 80kmph in fith gear, and then floor it to reach 110. The car will seem as if running out of breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Tanveer ; Roll on figures between the TDCi and DDis are off by 1 sec (20-80 in 3rd and 40-100 in 4th)

Maybe, just maybe, mappings and state of tune is the culprit.

One more concern as far as Maruti's diesels go (nothing against the engine). The way they skimp, on features. Nowadays, visibility is so much reduced in a hatch if there is no rear wash and even if you ready to pay, you won't get one.

I believe its the Ritz for you, decided on color? Bakers Choco gets my vote or white.
I think if we go for ritz, its going to be white. As for mapping and tuning. We drove 2 figos. The 19000kms done had such poor picup that it was close to an idi indica in terms of performance.
The new one was much better, but I guess 160nm of peak torque vs 190nm of peak torque does take its toll?
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

figo is 20kg lesser

will email u with ripper. he sold a siwft vdi with petes and bought a figo
Figo is same as Ritz, just 5kgs letter. My 100kgs mark was off. The 20kgs ligher figo is the lxi version without power windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
As it is going to be the Ritz, looking forward to another ownership experience soon.
How is the rattles, fir&finish of Ritz vis-a-vis the Swift.
I have seen many a Ritz in the Kerala Highways but definitely is not a scorcher, but a city cum highway traveler.
Scorcher not really needed
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Great thread as usual.

My $0.02 worth of observations :

I20 @48000:
1. @9000 Steering rattle. Replaced tie rods and rack ends under warranty.
2. @35000 Front struts leaked. Replaced under warranty.
3. @~30000 the clutch has become hard and engages only at the bottom. No slippage. No adjustment possible. I have not replaced it but is a pain to drive it in stop go traffic. Not covered under warranty even if it gives heartache at 20K or 10K on odo.

Now I am fearing that I will have to go for steering rattle operation again and finally get clutch replaced. Quoted ~15k for the latter. No warranty now. A/c is low performer. Can not cool car in midst of heat even on highway continuous drives. Great interiors and body work does not rattle.

Swift (petrol) @980000:
Rattles from body. I learned to tune them out.
Tie rods changed once @60000
Basic interiors but love the chilling of A/c
15K? I thought it was 24K inclusive of tax and labor.
Did your swift never need a clutch in all those 100,000kms?
The AC thingy is worrysome

Last edited by tsk1979 : 6th July 2011 at 09:28.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks