Team-BHP - Plain Jane Toyota Etios conquers the heart with her soulful charm!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   Plain Jane Toyota Etios conquers the heart with her soulful charm! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/103906-plain-jane-toyota-etios-conquers-heart-her-soulful-charm-2.html)

Congratulation.
A wonderful review indeed.
This is definitely the best entry level sedan in the current market scenario.
Dzire and Manza are nowhere in its class when it comes to Performance & Handling.

The only real competitor is Fiesta classic.
Surely it does have a bit less space and it is not a Toyaota but the interiors is a but upmarket. Though I am not sure about the OTR price difference between ETIOS and Fiesta Classic.

Keep this thread updated and do post some exterior shots.

Congrats RadiantKarma on your new purchase !! It is one of the most detailed reviews that I have come across from a car buyer and certainly will be of help. Am also in a car buying mode and Etios is one of the cars that is under consideration. Without any doubt, this post is something that I will be referring to often.

Have one question: since the original car does not come with Electrical ORVMs, is it possible to get this done either from Toyota or outside without voiding any warranty. I believe that Electrical ORVMs is one of the musts that any car should have considering that in many places you just can not afford to tinker with the mechanical adjustment mechanism while driving. May be I'm naive in asking this question, but let me as well have a clarity on this point.

Thanks oxyzen for the nice words.

You are right that Dzire and Manza are no match for Etios as far as performance and handling are concerned. Fiesta Classic would in fact easily trump Etios in handling. I think it's priced somewhat higher than Etios, though I don't know if any discounts are being thrown in for the Classic.

However, the market views things quite differently. Its major parameters are FE (kitna deti hai?), reliability, service network, spares cost, VFM factor etc. These are the aspects where Dzire and Manza pitch in as the primary players of the segment and can't be ignored. Considering the fact that in these aspects also, Etios matches the competition quite well, it emerges as a true all-rounder of the segment.

@RadiantKarma,

Congrats!!

Sorry mate- I missed your wonderful review yesterday.Your hunt reminded me of my own-you final tug of war was fought by me too,but in m6y case,ANHC won.
And I still have a tinge of pain when I see Etios's moving around me.

Your analysis of the car is spot on. Me too was thoroughly impressed with GTO's TD-must have read at least 20 times. The ANHC decision in my case was an emotional one-your decision is an intellectual one.

Nice review-unbiased,well written,entertaining and informative. This will, for sure, influence other aspirant Etios hunters. Waiting for more pictures as promised by you.

Rating you a well deserved 5 stars.

Congrats on your New etios. I drove one last week and I was impressed by the drive. The steering is what impressed me the most. Only at very high speeds the steering feels too light but it is still better than Dzire and Manza whose steering is a waste as speeds build up.
I think the engine is tad noisier than the competition at startup but the rumble is nice as the speeds build. FUN
MIND BLOWING SPACE. No words to describe. The flat floor in the rear was liked by my mom and wifey.
I Would have liked adjustable rear head rest like in the fiesta but the single piece front seats are superb.
Cost cutting is evident in the low end versions but the top end with oodles of chrome and beige interiors are trying to mask it.

With Petrol prices soaring, you need an efficient car and you just bought it.
Happy motoring. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by RadiantKarma (Post 2417916)
I refrained from posting exterior pics for the reason that the car is a common sight now.

We read your review, hence want to see your car. No Team-BHP review is complete without supporting pictures of the very car being reviewed.

Thanks for sharing! Rating this thread 5 stars.

Thanks aaren, thanks charthom, for such profusely kind words. I will be extremely happy if my review can help one guy make a buying decision that's right for him. It will be my constant endeavour to keep the thread updated. Yes, I also remember that I need to post the exteriors shots of the car.

I am getting overwhelmed with the encouraging appreciation from you all. Didn't know there was a rating on the thread! Thanks a ton for the 5-star rating!

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaren (Post 2418666)
Have one question: since the original car does not come with Electrical ORVMs, is it possible to get this done either from Toyota or outside without voiding any warranty. I believe that Electrical ORVMs is one of the musts that any car should have considering that in many places you just can not afford to tinker with the mechanical adjustment mechanism while driving. May be I'm naive in asking this question, but let me as well have a clarity on this point.

Mate, your question is well-placed. It's impossible to adjust the passenger side ORVM while driving. You either remember to do it before the drive, or stop on the way to do it, if there is no one in the passenger seat to help you out. Driver side ORVM is not a problem. Toyota dealer & service centre say the conversion to e-ORVM can't be done. Getting it done from outside will surely void the warranty. At the same time, I do hope you are aware that there is a small flip side to e-ORVM. in our traffic conditions, ORVMs are quite vulnerable to damage by the always rushed, competitive drivers. Replacement cost of an e-ORVM is at least 3-4 times the manual one. Since I am stuck with the latter. I try looking at the positive side of it. :I Rule:

Quote:

Originally Posted by charthom (Post 2418685)
And I still have a tinge of pain when I see Etios's moving around me.

Hey mate. You've got the best thing for your need. Come to think of it, because you moved to City, you got to own, inter alia, the AT nirvana. Nevertheless, thanks for sharing your sentiment again, gives me heart that there are more guys who can actually think City vs. Etios!

Quote:

Originally Posted by figo_mba (Post 2418716)
Cost cutting is evident in the low end versions but the top end with oodles of chrome and beige interiors are trying to mask it.

The Chrome is Toyota's, and beige interiors (seat covers) MY attempt to mask the cost cutting!:cool:

Quote:

Originally Posted by charthom (Post 2418544)
I had already planned 1.3 lakhs worth of upgrades,which did not include leather seats.

Hey, charthom. Thanks for sharing this. Can you also share the details of upgrades you had planned for Etios with estimated cost? Was it from the dealer or aftermarket? What kind of reliability did you assess for such upgrades? Did you possibly examine if it could affect warranty in any way? Sorry for the barrage of questions!

This quote is picked from your thread, as I felt the information would be more appropriate here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RadiantKarma (Post 2419348)
Hey, charthom. Thanks for sharing this. Can you also share the details of upgrades you had planned for Etios with estimated cost? Was it from the dealer or aftermarket? What kind of reliability did you assess for such upgrades? Did you possibly examine if it could affect warranty in any way? Sorry for the barrage of questions!

This quote is picked from your thread, as I felt the information would be more appropriate here.

@RadiantKarma,

After dumping the Etios booking, I seem to have misplaced the estimate.Will recover soon and update.Sorry for the delay.

Everything was from the dealer itself-so assessed full reliability.

Caska unit was offered for 52000/- Amplifier and sub woofer from Rockford Fosgate-prices of both I will revert. Camouflaging the reds in the seat and doors by Stanley leather would have costed 47000/-( this was not in the 1,30,000/-:))

Quote:

Originally Posted by charthom (Post 2419408)
@RadiantKarma,

After dumping the Etios booking, I seem to have misplaced the estimate.Will recover soon and update.Sorry for the delay.

@RadiantKarma,

I managed to retrieve the estimate=here we go!!

TVSS security system- 6100.00
Radiator Chrome Grill- 5650.00
Door side visor- 1630.00
Rear door garnish- 1300.00
Leg room lamp(2 position)- 2350.00
Bumper corner protector-set of 4- 990.00
Roots horn- 2400.00
Luggage tray- 1525.00
Teflon coating(3M)- 4000.00
Under body coating(3M)- 2500.00
Rear spoiler- 4660.00
FR & RR skirt- 12500.00
Sunfilm(3M)-BL35& FW p.75- 5000.00
Rear speakers(Pioneer)- 2900.00
Speaker pad- 2500.00
Stereo Caska- 52000.00
Sub woofer(Rockford Fosgate)- 9990.00
R150 amp- 9490.00
Wire kit- 2900.00

Total- 1,30,385.00

Apart from this,they quoted 47,000/- for the leather from Stanley.

It is debatable if you require all these.Mine was a desperate attempt to lift her to an upmarket level.I would have opted out the following:

Rear spoiler
Sub woofer and kit
Stanley Leather

I now realise, the teflon coating is useless-but that time would have opted for it.

The Caska is operable with the steering mounted controls.Hence chose.

The security system would help to protect the expensive Caska HU.

As you can see-all are from Toyota-after market fitments would have costed less-but I preferred to fully adorn her for the occasion.

And the colour I chose for the car was black-for that snobbish upmarket look and feel!stupid:

Hope this helps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by charthom (Post 2419505)

As you can see-all are from Toyota-after market fitments would have costed less-but I preferred to fully adorn her for the occasion.

And the colour I chose for the car was black-for that snobbish upmarket look and feel!stupid:

Hope this helps.

Thanks mate for so much effort. For the figure of 1,30,000, I actually thought the upgrades might include significant interior upgrades like dash, door trim enhancements, carpet/roofline upgrade, damping of door panels etc.

The color of your choice for Etios is impeccable for the value you've mentioned! agree:Black and Red are my favourite colours for Etios. I settled in favour of beige for more practical considerations.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RadiantKarma (Post 2419538)
Thanks mate for so much effort. For the figure of 1,30,000, I actually thought the upgrades might include significant interior upgrades like dash, door trim enhancements, carpet/roofline upgrade, damping of door panels etc.

The color of your choice for Etios is impeccable for the value you've mentioned! agree:Black and Red are my favourite colours for Etios. I settled in favour of beige for more practical considerations.

Sorry to disappoint you but my initial upgrade was supposed to purely visual.

The original red seats were ok with me-the insulation sheets etc would have been considered after driving for a while. I was trying to reply all those questions like,"Are you really booking this car?" A slightly upmarket version would have been welcome!!:Frustrati

The Car looks very good in the color that you have chosen !! Also, the sun film looks mild and complements the car very well. What % transparency did you choose ? Also waiting for the snaps of interiors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by charthom (Post 2419940)
Sorry to disappoint you but my initial upgrade was supposed to purely visual.

I was trying to reply all those questions like,"Are you really booking this car?" A slightly upmarket version would have been welcome!!:Frustrati

I can understand your predicament. I too went throgh the same situation. This was one of the reasons for my continued hunt beyond Etios (mentioned as 'peer pressure' in my review).

Hey RadiantKarma,

The review is simply Awesome. 5 stars already. Ah and yes, hearty congratulations on the Etios! Almost forgot that. I confess that I'm admiring your review more than the car!! Its so good to get a very detailed review. Does reflect on the thinking and efforts you went through during your buying process.

The patience you've shown in comparing the cars, giving enough time to each one is also remarkable. Mostly people fix one in 5 minutes by looks and go book it flat.

Wish you and your family unlimited safe & happy miles with your Q Class! Keep regular updates and pictures coming.

OT - The 1st pic in post # 29 above is taken from such a peculiar angle, that it gives an illusion of a car that has abruptly ended in the front!

Cheers!

Thanks Reinhard, for the generous words, the rating and the kind wishes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reinhard (Post 2421283)
The patience you've shown in comparing the cars, giving enough time to each one is also remarkable. Mostly people fix one in 5 minutes by looks and go book it flat.

Was enjoying the process! Also, isn't there much much more to a car than merely the looks?

Thanks aaren for good words.
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaren (Post 2421228)
What % transparency did you choose ?

50% VLT on the sides and 70% on the rear as mentioned in the opening post.

Cheers!