Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2011, 21:21   #16
BHPian

Re: Owning a champion - my Honda City S-MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The sidewall is actually taller in his upgrade. Remember, the profile is a % of the tyre width.

Thus, the stock tyre of 175/65 had a sidewall height of 113.75 mm (65% of 175)

His upgraded 195/60 tyre has a sidewall height of 117 mm (60% of 195).

And I presume you are talking about ground clearance, and not bottoming out. A suspension is said to bottom out when it runs out of travel & won't go any further (the lowest point that your suspension will travel to). Ground clearance, however, is the lowest part of your car (relative to the road). Specific to your question, his ground clearance would have actually increased.
@GTO,Nice valuable info.Thank you very much. How will the reduction in aspect ratio affect the ride quality-will it get harsher?

Last edited by GTO : 6th July 2011 at 11:18. Reason: Correcting quoted post. It's 65% in the first example, not 60
Old 5th July 2011, 21:22   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

Since you plan to change the music system anyway, any reason why you went for S instead of EMT? (Steering controls, by any chance?)

The alloys look really good man; how has the tyre upgrade affected the ride quality?

1) What have you upgraded the head-lights to?
2) What profile sun film - esp. on the front and rear glass?

PS : Remember Dustin Hoffman from Meet The Fockers in that football game with Robert De Nero - he puts on that black thing under his eyes. The car looks kinda the same when the beadings on the bumper! (Sounds silly but I've this thing of imagining the front of a car to be a face )
Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post

1.why did you choose S version,esop when you could stretch your budget?Dislike for the OE alloys?

2.How Michelin Primacy LC is better than XM1+ ? Had you checked out Yokohama c drives as well?How did you find Global?Reasonable?

3.How are the head lights after upgrade?Is your upgrade legal with warranty intact?
  1. You got it right, OE alloys was one reason, chrome handles the second. Also, I figured out that I could get fog lamps + alloys cheaper than the extra 45k I would have to pay for the V version.
  2. Car handling and road grip will definitely improve. They also increase the ride height by around 6mm and is very silent compared to the stock tyres. I never tried Yokohama , went straight for the Michelins. Global is reasonable if you know how to bargain. They have all stuff under one roof and that's added advantage.
  3. I believe the stock headlights are too weak so I went for the upgrade. I got it done from Honda itself and so it definitely does not void warranty.
Please find details of my bulb upgrade as well as the cost below
Owning a champion - my Honda City S-MT-bulb.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
BTW you might want to change your date of purchase to nov 2010 !
Ooops..thanks for pointing it out ..but hey any clue how I can edit a post ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram_NP View Post
The 3D mats is really looking nice and fit very well. I am also planning to upgrade to Kagu mats. Can you post a picture of the both front mats as well ?
Will do so at the earliest. There were people sitting on the front side so I could not take pictures earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
as all others, i would also like to know about your headlight upgrade like performance compared to stock and price.
certainly waiting for your upgrade and experience with caska unit.
Thanks for your kind words. The details of the headlight upgrade is listed above. Cost is standing as a huge wall between me and the Caska, I need to climb up the wall to fetch it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
Since you have a lower profile tyre than what ANHC comes with, does the car bottom out more often? I hope it does not, but I am curious to know the answer.

Does the SMT come with fog lamps? When I look up the specs on the honda site they don't list it and therefore I am wondering if you got them fixed from Honda itself.
Actually the ground clearance of the car has improved as the side wall height has gone up. Fog lamps was an add on and I got it done at Honda itself before taking delivery. I forgot to mention that in my review !!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Congratulations. Beautiful set of wheels, literarily. The Michelins and the dynamic set of alloys give your car a wholesome stance, which cries speed even when stationary. This aura has been heightened by a great choice of color.
Thanks for your kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteele View Post
I am sure you have a good company of Charthom with new ANHC & Casca HU..
Will check out the Caska HU soon, cost is the only deterrent factor. Charthom, will it void warranty of the electrical's ? I presume yours won't since you got it done from Honda but what if I get it done outside ?
Old 5th July 2011, 21:54   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

You have to request the mods to do that. They will happily oblige .
Old 5th July 2011, 22:08   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBug View Post

I believe the stock headlights are too weak so I went for the upgrade. I got it done from Honda itself and so it definitely does not void warranty.

Charthom, will it void warranty of the electrical's ? I presume yours won't since you got it done from Honda but what if I get it done outside ?
Did you add the HID kit etc?Honda quoted 11000/- to me.You seem to have only changed the bulb-is it enough?

Warranty won't be void if you do it at Honda of course.Regarding getting Caska outside-Honda people warned me against adding sub-woofer etc to the Caska HU by outside sources( "we are not attempting to extract money from you Sir,we vare trying to help you") which they claimed would goof up the entire electrical system. Still you may contact Mr Vinod at Caska(09447053329) and inquire.
Old 5th July 2011, 22:16   #20
BHPian

Quote:
The sidewall is actually taller in his upgrade. Remember, the profile is a % of the tyre width.

Thus, the stock tyre of 175/65 had a sidewall height of 113.75 mm (65% of 175)

His upgraded 195/60 tyre has a sidewall height of 117 mm (60% of 195).

And I presume you are talking about ground clearance, and not bottoming out. A suspension is said to bottom out when it runs out of travel & won't go any further (the lowest point that your suspension will travel to). Ground clearance, however, is the lowest part of your car (relative to the road). Specific to your question, his ground clearance would have actually increased.
First things first - Congrats Firebug on your purchase !! The car looks real cool with the sunfilm. You have put in awesome looking alloys. Keep posting on your experiences with the City. Many kms of happy and safe driving !!

To GTO: Notes like the one that you have put in this case are the ones that make one's day and the learning that comes along with it. That is why this forum rocks

Last edited by GTO : 6th July 2011 at 11:19. Reason: Correcting quoted post. It's 65% in the first example, not 60
Old 5th July 2011, 22:30   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hey Congrats! That's one nice looking NHC on T-BHP. Keep the thread updated with more pics and reports. The Kagu 3D mats seem to be the 'in' thing nowadays.

Two things I wanted to ask here:

[1] Did you do some paint treatment/polish the car before taking the photos? Or did you only wash it? The car looks very nice and shiny!

[2] Any reason why you want to upgrade the HU? Is the OEM unit not good enough?
Old 6th July 2011, 01:19   #22
BHPian

Congratulations alot on buying ANHC, firebug.
And it looks really cool in polished metal metallic colour with that Gorgeous Alloys.
Are those Fog lamps comes factory fitted in S-variant or you've got them Retrofitted at Dealer end. AFAIK, its an standard fitment in top end V-variant only.
Old 6th July 2011, 01:59   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
Congratulations alot on buying ANHC, firebug.
And it looks really cool in polished metal metallic colour with that Gorgeous Alloys.
Are those Fog lamps comes factory fitted in S-variant or you've got them Retrofitted at Dealer end. AFAIK, its an standard fitment in top end V-variant only.
Hey thanks, with regard to your question I got the fog lamps fitted from Honda before I took delivery. You are right, its a standard fitment only with the V variant but for S it comes with a price !
Old 6th July 2011, 09:01   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Did you add the HID kit etc?Honda quoted 11000/- to me.You seem to have only changed the bulb-is it enough?

Warranty won't be void if you do it at Honda of course.
Hi Charthom,

I upgraded my bulbs with Philips Extreme with the same watt as that off the stock but with a wider range. All it needs is bulbs, Iam happy with it as it has significantly improved the lights now.

I no longer need high beam which I used to occasionally, infact I need to keep the setting in 2 else it would probably blind the opposite guy.

Cost came to 1200, got it upgraded at the dealer itself.
Old 6th July 2011, 10:49   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu230506 View Post
Hi Charthom,

I upgraded my bulbs with Philips Extreme with the same watt as that off the stock but with a wider range. All it needs is bulbs, Iam happy with it as it has significantly improved the lights now.

I no longer need high beam which I used to occasionally, infact I need to keep the setting in 2 else it would probably blind the opposite guy.

Cost came to 1200, got it upgraded at the dealer itself.
Raghu,thanks for the info.Do you recommend the HID kit even though expensive?

I have difficulty in night driving.Do you recommend a very strong light or just same wattage but wider range? Please advise. How legal are these strong lights-and how ethical?
Old 6th July 2011, 11:22   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How will the reduction in aspect ratio affect the ride quality-will it get harsher?
The sidewall height contributes to ride quality. The more the rubber, the more the cushioning on rough roads. Thus, the OP's tyre upsize will actually improve his ride comfort as he has a sidewall that's 3.xx mm taller.

Of course, even the quality of rubber counts, and whether you choose a comfort or performance oriented tyre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaren View Post
To GTO: Notes like the one that you have put in this case are the ones that make one's day and the learning that comes along with it. That is why this forum rocks
Thanks Aaren.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2011, 11:27   #27
BHPian

Quote:
The sidewall height contributes to ride quality. The more the rubber, the more the cushioning on rough roads. Thus, the OP's tyre upsize will actually improve his ride comfort as he has a sidewall that's 3.xx mm taller.

Of course, even the quality of rubber counts, and whether you choose a comfort or performance oriented tyre.
@GTO,thanks for the valuable feed back. I was contemplating an upgrade of tyres for my ANHC-but was unsure of its effect on my wife's back. Now feeling relieved. Thanks indeed.

Do you recommend,Yokohama C drives or Michelins?If Michelins XM1+ or Primacy LC? Appreciate your feed back on this too.

GTO,Thanks for all the valuable service you are doing to boost our enthusiasm.

Last edited by charthom : 6th July 2011 at 11:29.
Old 6th July 2011, 11:50   #28
BHPian

Charthom, I am sure GTO can help you on the tyre front, thought I would send you the link to the tyre I chose - the primacy LC.

Michelin Primacy LC

Also, I think you should also check out the following team-bhp thread which discusses in detail about tyre upgrades

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modify...-your-car.html

Hope this helps.
Old 7th July 2011, 02:16   #29
BHPian

Purchase of Alloys

I was in search of Alloys for my car and at Global found quite a few which looked great. Still the question remained, will it look good on on my car ? There is no trial involved whatsoever in choosing alloys so I made a guy there hold one alloy after the other next to the wheels and took these photos.

I took this photo in such an angle that it looked as if the tyres were on it.Wish I had spent more time on the angle I took the pictures, mine looked far from perfect.

Owning a champion - my Honda City S-MT-firebugalloys1.jpg

Once all photos were taken told them I will be back in 2 hours time, came home and used my limited photo editing skills to isolate the alloys from the visible areas of the wheel cup. This gave me a first hand impression on how the car would look on it.
Owning a champion - my Honda City S-MT-firebugalloys2.jpg

I tried this with all the alloys I chose & photographed and finalized on the one I liked most. Probably this is a confused soul's way choosing the alloys but I was definitely not disappointed when my car finally wore them.
So hope this will help you too.
FireBug is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2011, 09:43   #30
BHPian

@FireBug,

Nice snaps and useful info. I read the links posted by you.Very informative.Thanks FireBug.

Your photographic skills are slowly emerging now.We want lot more.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks