Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2006, 10:12   #61
Senior - BHPian

Test drove the Cedia yesterday and hit the rev-limiter in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears. The car is VERY chuckable, with crisp steering, great brakes and a suspension that balances rather well between comfort and handling.

The engine is a bit of a let-down for such a chuckable car though, and needs to be revved to get it going. While on the subject of revving, the engine note is nicely muted while being revved and does not intrude into the cabin while keeping the driver in touch with the motor at the same time.

Interiors are pretty good - I like leather though I wouldnt put it in my car Ergonomics are excellent and I didnt need to do too much to adjust to the car and was chucking it around merrily after just one kilometer.

HOWEVER, lets come to the crunch question - would I pay Rs.10.40 lakhs OTR for the Cedia (Elegance)?

NO
Old 19th March 2006, 10:46   #62
BHPian

AS A PASSENGER;-
In Lancer Cedia, I was a passenger first at the rear. The seating is pretty decent but slightly low, the underthigh support is decent enough but how you wished the seat was slightly longer towards the front so that you can have a very relaxed drive as a passenger. good legroom thought when you pull the front seats to the front, which as per everyone does.
AS A DRIVER:-
Moving to the front the, I liked the dashboard in twin shade, but the mock wood panelling you see is somewhat too light in color (seems they wanted to give an S clas look to it). The driving position is good with a good commanding view, the gears were slightly hard, culd be because its a brand new car( the mitsubishi guy told me the car has alredy done 5k km so far)..but when I drove the old lancer years back I still remember driving a 280km run car and the gears were like Hot knife through butter.. you know what I mean.The engie is very refined no noise intrusion to the cabin an dvery refined at idle..but once you start, it does not give you neck wrenching kind a performance, but somewherein between the optra and the corolla( my personal view )..its very revy and pulls awa, no need to change gears very often also..pretty tractable.
THE VERDICT:-
All in all a good car but OTR @ 10.40..lets say a similar spec corolla is 1.40L more expensive, but the corolla has a more modern look to it.
Take your pick..
P.S:-
I found the OLD lancer to be more sturdy at higher speed, no idea way.
Old 19th March 2006, 13:06   #63
Senior - BHPian

Well, Cedia has lots of space at the rear, far better than the Skoda. I guess petrolheads should be looking at the Cedia Sport as it has those sexy red color + spoilers and sort. And, thers lot of space for intercooler + turbo kit

Last edited by jkdas : 19th March 2006 at 13:08.
Old 19th March 2006, 13:50   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKnight
AS A PASSENGER;-
In Lancer Cedia, I was a passenger first at the rear. The seating is pretty decent but slightly low, the underthigh support is decent enough but how you wished the seat was slightly longer towards the front so that you can have a very relaxed drive as a passenger. good legroom thought when you pull the front seats to the front, which as per everyone does.
AS A DRIVER:-
Moving to the front the, I liked the dashboard in twin shade, but the mock wood panelling you see is somewhat too light in color (seems they wanted to give an S clas look to it). The driving position is good with a good commanding view, the gears were slightly hard, culd be because its a brand new car( the mitsubishi guy told me the car has alredy done 5k km so far)..but when I drove the old lancer years back I still remember driving a 280km run car and the gears were like Hot knife through butter.. you know what I mean.The engie is very refined no noise intrusion to the cabin an dvery refined at idle..but once you start, it does not give you neck wrenching kind a performance, but somewherein between the optra and the corolla( my personal view )..its very revy and pulls awa, no need to change gears very often also..pretty tractable.
THE VERDICT:-
All in all a good car but OTR @ 10.40..lets say a similar spec corolla is 1.40L more expensive, but the corolla has a more modern look to it.
Take your pick..

Ok then how much price do u think the car should be priced at based on your test drive?

These people have somewhat same experience with the same car with same engine that develops 5hp more with automatic.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/testdr...3lancer_es.htm

One really good thing is :- The 2002 Lancer was crash-tested last year by the U.S. Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. In a 40 mph front offset crash test, the Lancer was rated 'Good' and a 'Best Pick', the top rating when compared to other cars in its class. As there have been no major changes to the Lancer for 2003, it should have the same crash performance.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 19th March 2006 at 14:02.
Old 19th March 2006, 20:57   #65
BHPian

2 Litre 115 bhp ?? not good for a car with sporting pretentions eh ???
tons of torque though ... they do claim BIG mileage ... but thats not what people would have been looking for as a successor to the old lancer in india.
Old 19th March 2006, 21:01   #66
BHPian

are they going the honda way ??
1.5 iDSI 77hp ... good mileage ???
Old 19th March 2006, 21:04   #67
BHPian

but i guess as an 'overall' package 10.4L for this car aint too bad.
optra aint no enthusiasts dream ... still sells alot coz its a great car overall ... maybe the same will go for the cedia

Last edited by Fiero : 19th March 2006 at 21:05.
Old 20th March 2006, 02:58   #68
Senior - BHPian

but why are fogs emitted from the sports version?
Old 20th March 2006, 03:57   #69
Senior - BHPian

Here is a roadtest undertaken by Topgear.

half truth, Half hype. Optra for some reason is not taken into consideration.

http://lancercedia.in/topgear.pdf

according to this test cedia is .67 secs slower to ton.

braking is said to be best in class.
Old 20th March 2006, 08:34   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifoforniaKnight
Thats funny because I found the Cedia to be more in touch with the Tarmac than the older Lancer which couldnt reach good speeds with such ease anyway.

Did a handbrake turn @ about 80 kmph and the dealer's rep went "Saar tjis car is for my MD!!!!"
Old 20th March 2006, 09:03   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Thats funny because I found the Cedia to be more in touch with the Tarmac than the older Lancer which couldnt reach good speeds with such ease anyway.

Did a handbrake turn @ about 80 kmph and the dealer's rep went "Saar tjis car is for my MD!!!!"
Yeah , the old lancer can never keep up with the CEDIA, but what I felt (though the speedo was not working), I assume I was doing approx 110 - 130 when the rep asked me to slowdown..at the same speed the old lancer felt more planted to the ground
Old 20th March 2006, 11:35   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
Here is a roadtest undertaken by Topgear.

half truth, Half hype. Optra for some reason is not taken into consideration.

http://lancercedia.in/topgear.pdf

according to this test cedia is .67 secs slower to ton.

braking is said to be best in class.
A little correction to clear up the confusion if any before any debates spark up.

The cedia is .67 secs slower than the corolla and not the optra.
Old 21st March 2006, 21:56   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather
whats the point in buying a 11 lakh car if it cant outrun a baleno in 0-100 dash??????
same reason the NHC gxi sells for 7.7lac ... 77bhp... cant outrun a single 1.5/1.6 L car currently in the market .... same goes for optra 1.8 ... can't beat a corolla/elantra ... still will sell ... overall package.
Old 21st March 2006, 22:03   #74
BHPian

though everyone,including me has an attraction for 0-100 figures , a real life race or a drag is not about thes figures anyways. and what about 0-120/140/160

0-100 of a baleno might be quicker than a cedia and optra ... but what about 0-140/160 ... sheer horses and torque of a cedia will out do the baleno
Old 21st March 2006, 22:04   #75
Senior - BHPian

how have the sales been?

There has not been much information around for February sales of cedia.

Most Viewed