Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2011, 14:10   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar: How I made sure I didn't lose the forest for the trees !!

Deepak Bhai, belated/delayed/late congratulations to you on being THARED!

good choice of colour and glad to know you would be doing the modifications slowly and not adding bling bling, but more of utilarian stuff.

keeping the tire size to the required and not going overboard is a good decision.

i have decided on Thar MDI, which offers more of VFM when it comes to buying a made in mayapuri/ex-army rebuild and THAR CRDe....i think MDI falls in between the two!

i would like to have your comments on the MDI (dont compare it to CRDe)!

im posting two photos of your thar, i would like to know if this is a defect, and if yes, was it rectified by you!

the two tires circled in red, the left tire facing little to the left and the right tire facing straight!

if its not a defect, then i think im seeing things!
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar: How I made sure I didn't lose the forest for the trees !!-5.jpg  

Mahindra Thar: How I made sure I didn't lose the forest for the trees !!-19july.jpg  

Parm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2011, 18:08   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
Deepak Bhai, belated/delayed/late congratulations to you on being THARED!
=================
if its not a defect, then i think im seeing things!
The right front tyre seems to be slightly turned to the right and the left turned slightly to the left. Is it because of the position of the photographer while taking the snap. A photograph from the front and centre of the jeep (Position of the camera-From the front of the jeep and at the geometric centre of the distance between the 2 front tyres and at the midpoint between the top and bottom of the tyres(A tripod might be of use to get the camera into position as well as prevent shake) might show a clearer picture-or am I wrong.
Old 5th September 2011, 21:29   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
Congratulations DKG. Your Machine is with wonderful choice of colour and looks gorgeous. I think you could have waited a little more for AC & IMMOBILISER fitted version to release.
Hi Rajith,

Have you heard of the AC & IMMOBILISER fitted version to be released soon? Please share your inputs, or is it just that this out of your wish list?

Thanks
Raghu
raghu4222 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2011, 21:59   #139
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron View Post
With the AC being absent how do you get over the issue of cabin fogging during monsoon.?
Good question, it's a typical problem and I wish we had the window rain guards that enabled you to drive with the windows wound down a bit. I try to have them down a bit and if it still fogs up then I just wipe the screen

Quote:
How is the M&M ASC with service , repairs & spares?
The guys at the Hyd dealer workshop seem like a friendly bunch. I went there twice for two small issues and they attended to it immediately while I waited and had me heading out in a few minutes.

Quote:
Can you please post some high resolution HD pics so that they may grace my desktop as wallpapers. The color is just lovely. Need to convince folks at home as well.
Sure will take some more pictures and post

Quote:
Can 6 footer with a Big frame drive the thar comfortably for long hours.?
I should think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
I think you could have waited a little more for AC & IMMOBILISER fitted version to release.
In the three months that I waited post launch the price went up by 30k. I didn't want to have it go up further and besides there was no definite date for the a/c version's launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
i would like to have your comments on the MDI (dont compare it to CRDe)!
I think going by your logic it definitely makes sense to buy a MDI than a army disposal 550 and restore it. I haven't driven the MDI but I reckon it should feel like any brand new 550 ever did. When are you picking it up? And is there a choice in colours? How much is the 4x4 variant?

Quote:
the two tires circled in red, the left tire facing little to the left and the right tire facing straight!
That could very well be a slightly off centre steering when I took the picture. In any case a certain amount of toe in is essential for steady vehicle tracking. Haven't had any reason to doubt the wheel alignment but when it goes in for service will have it double checked to ensure its within the specified norms.

Last edited by DKG : 5th September 2011 at 22:21.
Old 5th September 2011, 22:19   #140
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Slowly getting the Thar into the mood for dirt

Mahindra Thar: How I made sure I didn't lose the forest for the trees !!-img_0064.jpg

Mahindra Thar: How I made sure I didn't lose the forest for the trees !!-img_0070.jpg

Mahindra Thar: How I made sure I didn't lose the forest for the trees !!-img_0079.jpg

Mahindra Thar: How I made sure I didn't lose the forest for the trees !!-img_0080.jpg

Mahindra Thar: How I made sure I didn't lose the forest for the trees !!-img_0081.jpg
Old 23rd September 2011, 23:02   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Slowly getting the Thar into the mood for dirt
cool pics

any new updates on the ownership exp? how is the Thar treating you - interested to know if the groan, creaks, rattle, etc - start with usage? or is it holding up?

things to look for when buying a new Thar - tips, etc if any?
Old 12th October 2011, 15:18   #142
BANNED

Quote:
never thought about that !!

5. Black rubber mats have been put in. Am concerned about the thick padded carpet which can get soaked easily and rust the floor is left unattended. There are holes in the floor which have not been plugged with rubber drain plugs. Right now I have put tape on them to prevent water from coming in while washing
sir,
i am also facing the same above problem.Please share your solution.

Last edited by bblost : 12th October 2011 at 15:22. Reason: fixed quotes tag. Thanks.
Old 12th October 2011, 20:59   #143
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith

sir,
i am also facing the same above problem.Please share your solution.
Basically we need to plug holes and periodically check whether the mat's underside is dry. On a couple of occasions I think a little water has managed to come through some opening near the windscreen. not very sure about this but I need to find the culprit and plug it
Old 14th October 2011, 11:07   #144
BANNED

Quote:
Basically we need to plug holes and periodically check whether the mat's underside is dry. On a couple of occasions I think a little water has managed to come through some opening near the windscreen. not very sure about this but I need to find the culprit and plug it
sir,
in my case water was entering thru the boot of 4wd lever, where it was not fitted properly due to overlaping of the main lever boot.Removed every thing & refitted.Secured with wire tag in the brim.All fine now.
Rajith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2011, 05:42   #145
BHPian

@DKG waiting for more updates from you, don't leave the Thar (Thread ) unloved.
Old 30th December 2011, 08:04   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

@DKG, how do you find the driving comfort in the Thar ? Viddy was recently driving one in the city for a week, and by day-4, he was complaining of back ache.
Old 30th December 2011, 20:28   #147
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@DKG, how do you find the driving comfort in the Thar ? Viddy was recently driving one in the city for a week, and by day-4, he was complaining of back ache.
The lumbar support on the seats is poor so extended use can give someone a bad ache. Thanks to a good back I haven't exactly encountered back pain but I think it could do with lumbar support. I am sure on long distance drives it may prove to be a problem. I plan on getting some support sowed into seat covers and add them on so that the original fabric is not altered.

That aside I love driving the Thar. It's just so much fun around town. 2012 I plan to do some long distance trips with the Thar so that's something I am looking forwa to

No new issues have cropped up since my last report so I guess it's fair to say I am quite satisfied with the car.

Last edited by DKG : 30th December 2011 at 20:30.
Old 23rd June 2012, 23:50   #148
BHPian

Hi DKG sir, Why no updates over the past several months ?
Old 24th June 2012, 06:18   #149
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmopolitan View Post
Hi DKG sir, Why no updates over the past several months ?
It's now nearing a year since I bought the Thar and using it as a daily driver (alternating with the Fiat) I can honestly say this is a fine vehicle. I was never convinced by the logic of people buying junked 550's from army disposal and spending lakhs of rupees doing them up as Wranglers. For people who desire a modern iteration of the old Jeep this simply is a fantastic offering. The engine is a delight and addictive in it's acceleration. I love it's ride thanks to the front IFS and the overall feel of the vehice. A new car always has it's special experiences and the Thar is no exception. As I use it daily I really do feel Mahindra came out with a gem in the Crde Thar. I haven't added an a/c yet but will do so before next summer.

I haven't done any Offroad driving so cannot comment on that aspect of the vehicle. Want that new car feel to wear off before I venture Offroad with it.

As mentioned earlier there remain one or two irritants, namely a thud in the right B pillar when you go through a pothole at speed and the poor lumbar support for the seat. I intend correcting the latter with a improved seat cover, especially for long drives.

I like the utility of the vehicle. A week ago I needed to carry some metal beams 5 feet long and could easily load the car up with the stuff.

Therenhave been no problems with the mechanicals over the year. The car starts on one tick and runs smooth with no noises from the suspension or drivetrain.

Mahindra could actually plan a small two door SUV with permanent steel hardtop on this platform, provided it meets future safety norms. It's a fun car to drive and highly recommended for anyone who love this style of vehicle.
DKG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2012, 20:12   #150
BHPian

DKG,

Waiting to read about your long distance travels in the Thar. How was the experience, fatigue, how long trips, etc.?

Saji

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks