Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2011, 02:34   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Knight Rider: Black Vento TDI HL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
@Poitive: I'm also a registered member in couple TDI forums. They never advised for being idle before slotting into gear. But they have clearly mentioned to be gentle with accelerator for 2-3 kms.
AFAIK, When engines are cold, they are pretty far from their ideal operating temperatures, and that leads to a lot of wear and tear in them. One should be a bit gentle on them till they have reached the operating temperature. One reason it may be advised so would be for higher FE, though it may not be the best thing for the longevity of the engine.

However, there is a chance that things have changed with better technology, hence cars having a lesser need to 'warm up' before being 'used'.

BTW, Turbo-Diesel cars usually advised to be kept at idle before and after each run to protect the turbo. What does the manual say on this?
Old 20th July 2011, 13:38   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
BTW, Turbo-Diesel cars usually advised to be kept at idle before and after each run to protect the turbo. What does the manual say on this?
Thank you. I've gained some info. from this thread. Pls. let me know your opinion.

TDI FAQ
Old 20th July 2011, 14:14   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. I've gained some info. from this thread. Pls. let me know your opinion.

TDI FAQ
Had a quick look at the article, Ram.

Quote:
The best way to warm up a TDI engine is to start up and GO, after minimum essential warm-up. It's generally recommended to drive gently for the first few minutes, until the temperature gauge approaches the normal range. When done this way, the warm-up period is not too different from that of a gasoline engine.
Just bear in mind that the forum/FAQ seems to be for the US/Canada. The fuel, weather etc is quite different.

My idea of bringing it up was that it was better to err on the side of caution, especially with a new car. If I was in your shoes, I'd go by what the manual says and add a bit of caution to it.

Also that many people never really read about the 1 minute pre and post use idling needed by (most?) turbo-diesels. So wanted to get that to notice. Don't think the turbo of VW would be cheap!!
Old 20th July 2011, 14:34   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Ramsagar congrats on the Knight Rider- really excellent pics and review.

Feel really bad looking at the plain black inserts instead of chrome. Apparently that was not for cost-cutting as widely suspected on the forums but because those parts were not available. I hear they wll be back as soon as the supplies resume.

Leather wrap on the steering is a thing of the past, sadly- that's the effect of localisation apparently!
Interesting! Where did you get this news from? Will this stuff be back as soon as their supplies resume? Isn't that a poor deal for all the people who got this batch. I wouldn't care about the leather wrapped steering wheel. Its easy to get that done at Stanley. Any what about those additional features? Steering mounted controls/bluetooth/better audio etc. Any news?

Strange as it may sound, my pending purchase (of which Vento is a top dog) hinges on the feel good factor (not features, so don't suggest a Verna). The Vento is great when it comes to quality, but these small omissions make the car look really dull. Since I plan to get the audio changed, I only get a climate control on top of trendline, which is poor return.

If I am convinced that I can spruce up the interiors with a bit more bling ( leather seats, Witson retrofit etc.) without any loss of chrome. BTW, I don't love chrome, but the Vento looks dull this way.
Old 20th July 2011, 14:37   #35
BHPian

Congrats Ram! Your car is a beauty. 22 days delivery is amazing though I think TBHP has seen 15 days delivery too.

Quote:
Feel really bad looking at the plain black inserts instead of chrome. Apparently that was not for cost-cutting as widely suspected on the forums but because those parts were not available. I hear they wll be back as soon as the supplies resume.

Leather wrap on the steering is a thing of the past, sadly- that's the effect of localisation apparently!
I wish they would give the leather steering wrap to all the Ventos that they missed when the supplies resume. It looks like a snug fitting wrap. Are aftermarket wraps of that type available?
Old 20th July 2011, 15:40   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Also that many people never really read about the 1 minute pre and post use idling needed by (most?) turbo-diesels. So wanted to get that to notice. Don't think the turbo of VW would be cheap!!
Thank you for the advice. I shall follow the same hereafter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Interesting! Where did you get this news from? Will this stuff be back as soon as their supplies resume? Isn't that a poor deal for all the people who got this batch.
Will VW replace our steering & Light controls when their supplies resume?
Old 20th July 2011, 16:17   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

^^Ha ha, nope. And @plain_vanilla, the leather wrap will NOT be resumed ever, just the chrome inserts on steering hole and light switch, when supplies resume (I believe they already have so expect it back on the road in about 12 weeks).

Vento has some of the nicest chrome inserts on any Indian car- subtle and very elegant looking. It's so unlike some other cars in the segment which look like Iron Man threw up over them.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2011, 18:54   #38
Senior - BHPian

Ram - Congratulations on your new buy and may you have many years of pleasent experience owning this beauty.

Noopster - Your posts are always a pleasure to read, not to forget the wealth of information you share with the fellow members. I agree with you on the subtle and elegant part and I think the leather wrap can easily be done aftermarket and shouldnt be an issue. If and when the supplies resume for the chrome inserts, especially the steering - Any idea if the people who received the car without one be able to get hold of it? Atleast as an part/accessory? If you think I'm asking for too much from you, please excuse.

Quote:
^^Ha ha, nope. And @plain_vanilla, the leather wrap will NOT be resumed ever, just the chrome inserts on steering hole and light switch, when supplies resume (I believe they already have so expect it back on the road in about 12 weeks).

Vento has some of the nicest chrome inserts on any Indian car- subtle and very elegant looking. It's so unlike some other cars in the segment which look like Iron Man threw up over them.

Last edited by bala80 : 20th July 2011 at 19:01.
Old 20th July 2011, 21:59   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Knight Rider: Black Volkswagen Vento TDI HL

Thanks bala. That really means a lot!

It's highly unlikely VW will ever offer "chrome inserts" in their accessory list. Especially when you consider they don't even offer the IPL's edition ICE HU as an option on any of the other models. VW is weird that way! I heard the dealer staff confess to me that there was a lot of demand for said HU but the company officials weren't receptive to suggestions on that front.
Old 21st July 2011, 14:04   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Ram - Congratulations on your new buy and may you have many years of pleasent experience owning this beauty.
Thanks bala.

Quote:
Thanks bala. That really means a lot!
What bala said is true. You are a great source of information.

Any idea about the upgraded version of Vento & its features. Heard the upgraded one comes with Cruise control. Is it true or just a hearsay.
Old 22nd July 2011, 10:47   #41
Senior - BHPian

Today it seems to be I've woke-up on wrong side of my bed. Knight Rider had a bruise on the left front bumper, next to fog lamps.

This had happened when biker CBZ extreme was taking right turn from my left side During this action sequence I had to stopped immediately and he merrily taken his right turn leaving a scar on my K.Rider.

I want to remove this immediately. Can any suggest me the best option? How will spray cans work? will they be good to use? I've Reliance Autozone near by home. I can just walk-in and buy one if necessary. Can any one suggest good brand of spray cans? else just go to nearby garage and apply through paint brush for time being is enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Knight Rider: Black Volkswagen Vento TDI HL-img_0756.jpg  

Knight Rider: Black Volkswagen Vento TDI HL-img_0757.jpg  

Old 22nd July 2011, 16:02   #42
BHPian

Quote:
I want to remove this immediately. Can any suggest me the best option? How will spray cans work? will they be good to use? I've Reliance Autozone near by home. I can just walk-in and buy one if necessary. Can any one suggest good brand of spray cans? else just go to nearby garage and apply through paint brush for time being is enough.
One option I can think of is using a black permanent marker? But, please note this is just an idea, i have never tried it yet. I have purchased a black marker but luckily my Vento never needed this till now. Fingers crossed.
windsurfer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2011, 16:22   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer View Post
One option I can think of is using a black permanent marker? But, please note this is just an idea, i have never tried it yet. I have purchased a black marker but luckily my Vento never needed this till now. Fingers crossed.
Hey, its just a great coincidence. Before seeing your post, I've just ordered a Black permanent marker through my office boy. I'm getting it within few minutes. Just refreshed my page and I got your message.

From morning I stopped doing my job and researching on T-BHP for removal of scratch. Had an idea to buy a shoe polish and apply using ear bud. Later moved on to buy a Nail polish and apply. Was little hesitating to buy a Com-paint spray can as its just a bruise and finally an idea stuck to use a black marker and ordered one.

Once I get the marker I shall rush down to my parking lot and apply. Shall post the results immediately.

Anyways thanks buddy. I'm confident it would help.
Old 22nd July 2011, 16:54   #44
Senior - BHPian

I just came-in. The end result was very good. I'm absolutely satisfied with the marker job. Let the pics. talk.
Attached Thumbnails
Knight Rider: Black Volkswagen Vento TDI HL-img_0758.jpg  

Knight Rider: Black Volkswagen Vento TDI HL-img_0759.jpg  

Old 22nd July 2011, 17:04   #45
BHPian

Stunning looks! I must say that your choice of colour was absolutely right Ramsagar, however IMO the VW Vento looks awesome in any colour (White, Red, Black, Silver but definitely not in the dark blue and a light sky blue shade!)

Delivered in 22 days? Well you are quite lucky then, my Uncle went for it (here in Mumbai) and was told 4 months waiting list!

P.S: The VW Vento is on my wish list.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks