Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2011, 17:31   #31
BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & U

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Welcome Maximus and Columbus! Wonderful review and pictures...great to see a fellow wandering soul with the same beast.

And as others have recommended, please write a strong letter to Toyota - usually they respond fast. There is also a Facebook Fortuner page that you can post on.

Leh is on my 'to do' list. Will call you up someday and take some inputs. Can you post a more detailed note on how Maximus performed? I know it can handle those roads easily, but what about the altitude and temperature? Any change in power, or any starting issues in the morning? Did you take any special precautions?

Incidentally, I call my Toy 'Bison' - she is christened after the Bos Gaurus of the Nilgiri Hills.

Thanks Nilanjan.
No there were absolutely no issues in high altitude or low temperatures. No power loss no starting issues nothing. Sarchu might be the place at 14K+ altitude where night temperatures was around 0deg. Maximus came to life in just half crank in the morning. No special precautions. Just filled sada diesel and everything was fine.

Your Bison needs no introduction. Have always followed your escapades with the Bison on your ownership thread. Always wondered how you manage to have your vehicle spankingly clean even on excursions.
Some fantastic shots of Bison you have in the wild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
You know what Nils ?
Yours must be the only TFort being termed/named/thought of by the owner as a 'She' ! And thereby causing great anguish to the 'He' thinkers !

General Saab

Have you ever "rode" a female Bison. If not then how can you question his decision. You never know you may like the ride and change to Miss Admirality..
Old 25th July 2011, 17:34   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & U

What a way to introduce the gladiator to the world!! Congrats on taming him. Absolutely striking pictures, I assume a travelogue is coming up shortly?

I see you have been lying low since 2008. Keep this thread regularly updated, though.
Old 25th July 2011, 17:50   #33
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the support, Columbus :-)

Regarding the pictures: two secrets:
1. I usually take the pictures when the vehicle looks decently clean - after all, a girl has to maintain her looks before a photo session. And a dusty black vehicle looks bad..
2. I increase contrast - the vehicle automatically looks shinier/ glossier

Your grey looks great. That was my choice...though I would have preferred a darker shade e.g. like the one on the Prius. My black vehicle becomes dirty very easily, and when it comes back after a trip, it is full of dust and mud everytime - outside and inside. I usually don't wash my vehicle when I am doing the weekend trips (unless I feel like it) - it gets dirty after 15 min on a trail.
I have often seen the GWD giving her a nasty glance and muttering under his breath. Well, he doesn't have to wash her for 2-3 days when she is away - so the extra work when she comes back is fair, I guess.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 25th July 2011 at 17:55.
Old 25th July 2011, 18:24   #34
BHPian

Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & U

Congratulations and welcome to the family. I am glad to note that you have already made that trip to Leh that all us other Fortuner owners have been planning to do in our daydreams.

The pictures in the begenning of the thread were very eye catching indeed and Maximus seemed well at home.

To the points about the khach khach and other niggles like beige interiors i shall like to say a few things.

I was surprised by the level of noises that you reported in your Nov '10 Fortuner as i havent faced these in my Dec '09 one as yet.

There is of course the occasional squeak from the dashboard when going on a potholed road and the rattle from the rearmost seats has become part of the ownership experience, but nothing of the fist bang inducing variety that you reported.

Do get in touch with Toyota and i can assure you they will look into this with a sense of urgency that may even surprise you.

You may even post on their Facebook page for a quick response as pointed out by Nilanjan. The link is: Toyota Fortuner | Facebook

By the way do check to see that all the seat belts are in the proper slots to prevent them banging against the inside plastic panels which also cause these rattling noises.

The best way to stop the rear most seats rattling is to have them in the flat position and to have the floor hooks taped up with a good quality cloth based electrical tape. This will reduce the play between the locks and the hooks thus reducing the noise.

As far as the Beige interiors go i am happy to report that mine have fared very well and are almost as good as new. I will suggest you arm yourself with the following at the earliest.

1) Armour All Leather Wax: Cleans and waxes the leather making it supple while also restoring the color. (Never apply this to the steering though as this will make it very slippery)

2) Microfibre Cloths: For the interior (separate from the ones for exterior) to apply the polish and another one to buff the seats with.

3) Tuff Stuff All Purpose Stain Remover Foam: This comes in a large 12" size Yellow can and the foam can be used for cleaning the interior roof panels, side door panels and carpets. Its like dry cleaning and gives very good results. It even imparts a good and fresh (new car) smell to the interiors for which i have been complimented on a number of occasions.

4) Large good quality Rubber mats these are far better than the cloth or plastic variety and clean up very easily and very well. (Black Rubber Mats go very well with the beige interiors of the Fortuner)

My rear sensors have never let me down and i was surprised to note that yours have broken down on two occasions before. As Guderian said maybe a check up at a bigger city dealership is in order though Toyota does pride itself in providing the same level of Quality Service everywhere. Sometimes the experience of mechanics handling 10-20 Fortuners a day can put them at a disadvantage to those handling 150 a day.

I will also suggest at a later stage (whenever possible) to get a Pioneer/JVC head Unit (touchscreen type) which you will also get GPS Navigation, DVD Playback and most importantly a Rear View Camera.

The Camera is a real boon in every situation while reversing whether its out of home , offroad or in a tight mall parking. I cannot imagine reversing safely without it now! (i really mean that) The improvement to the looks of the dash, USB connectivity and improvement in sound quality are also a welcome bonus.

There are some noises that do come up sometimes from the suspension or front passenger seat which induce a raised eyebrow but they seem to disappear on their own (as part of the Toyota self healing-self sorting-transformer type program)

There is of course nothing you can do about the engine noise that one hears at high revv's and after the meek petrol car this diesel beast roaring and snorting away may take some getting used to. But that is a part of its inherent character. There is a reason You call it MAXIMUS and not MEEKIMUS after all isn't it?

I hope you have a great time, a million miles and many happy memories in your Fortuner.
Manuuj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2011, 19:12   #35
Senior - BHPian

Welcome Columbus and a belated congrats on the wonderful acquisition - Maximus. The first post with the Leh snaps was simply awesome.

I don't know why but all the Fortuner owners seem to have a flair for writing - Guderian, Nilanjan and now you. Along with the Massager does Toyota also give a free Pen Other Fortuner owners please note that i have mentioned only these 3 names as i have gone through the threads. No Offence meant.

As you have mentioned would be waiting for the separate thread about your Leh exploits.
Old 25th July 2011, 20:15   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Congrats... since you own Maximus, I guess we'll have to call you Proximo.
Well i guess Maximus by heart was never owned by Proximo. He was always the loyal servant of the true Emperor Marcus Aurelius (Ceaser).

So i think i would prefer Ceaser anyday .
Will refrain from general chit chat and focus on the review part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
What a way to introduce the gladiator to the world!! Congrats on taming him. Absolutely striking pictures, I assume a travelogue is coming up shortly?

I see you have been lying low since 2008. Keep this thread regularly updated, though.

Thanks Dry Ice. You can thanks Guderian for bringing me alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Thanks for the support, Columbus :-)

Regarding the pictures: two secrets:
1. I usually take the pictures when the vehicle looks decently clean - after all, a girl has to maintain her looks before a photo session. And a dusty black vehicle looks bad..
2. I increase contrast - the vehicle automatically looks shinier/ glossier

I have often seen the GWD giving her a nasty glance and muttering under his breath. Well, he doesn't have to wash her for 2-3 days when she is away - so the extra work when she comes back is fair, I guess.
Thanks Nilanjan.
Old 25th July 2011, 20:18   #37
Senior - BHPian

WOW, What a initial write up...

Greeting to Columbus from Yoda. And to Maximus from my (soon to join the gang) Millennium Falcon.

Very sad to hear the ugly parts on your initial posts and the amount of faults you have ran into. Hope they get sorted out soon at a proper dealership. My Falcon has been recently booked (only a month) and Yoda is still in dilemma whether to take delivery of the same 4 months down the line or wait for glossy upcoming version. That dilemma will continue till I get a final call from the dealership; will take a call then.

Your gladiator looks just fabulous from the outside. I took a test drive of the same colored vehicle at 36 Toyota Faridabad and was blown off by the pick-up (even after owning 2 Toyota's as on date). But the problems listed by your discerning ear are just plain UNACCEPTABLE for a Toyota branded vehicle. I am very surprised to note such fall in quality/assembly of your particular vehicle. It is high time to talk directly to Toyota Bangalore (voc@toyota-kirloskar.co.in 080-66293001) to get them sorted out. For customer complaints, I found their response to be very prompt. Though it is slightly late in the day but your vehicle is still under warranty and the discussions should start immediately.

Last edited by dkaile : 25th July 2011 at 20:22.
Old 25th July 2011, 21:16   #38
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to T-Bhp Columbus

Its good to see someone from take a Fortuner to Leh from Bhopal.

Where is the Showroom, is it on the Hoshangabad Highway?

The picture of your T-fort in Winds N Waves parking brings backs a lot of memories, thanks for sharing
Old 25th July 2011, 23:33   #39
BHPian

My replies in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
Congratulations and welcome to the family. I am glad to note that you have already made that trip to Leh that all us other Fortuner owners have been planning to do in our daydreams.

Our Forts are born in the prime of their youth! Its prudent to get them Leh'ed soon .

By the way do check to see that all the seat belts are in the proper slots to prevent them banging against the inside plastic panels which also cause these rattling noises.

Already done that.

The best way to stop the rear most seats rattling is to have them in the flat position and to have the floor hooks taped up with a good quality cloth based electrical tape. This will reduce the play between the locks and the hooks thus reducing the noise.

Already doing it.

As far as the Beige interiors go i am happy to report that mine have fared very well and are almost as good as new. I will suggest you arm yourself with the following at the earliest.

1) Armour All Leather Wax
2) Microfibre Cloths
3) Tuff Stuff All Purpose Stain Remover Foam:

Can you please suggest a place in Delhi where i can get the above items.

4) Large good quality Rubber mats these are far better than the cloth or plastic variety and clean up very easily and very well. (Black Rubber Mats go very well with the beige interiors of the Fortuner)

Oh forgot to tell. Have been using the black Innova rubber mats since day one. The cloth ones of the Fort would'nt have survived a day where i work. Great tip. The showroom guys were very surprised when i told them i want innova rubber mats..!

Sometimes the experience of mechanics handling 10-20 Fortuners a day can put them at a disadvantage to those handling 150 a day.

Here they handle 3 to 4 in a week..!

I will also suggest at a later stage (whenever possible) to get a Pioneer/JVC head Unit (touchscreen type) which you will also get GPS Navigation, DVD Playback and most importantly a Rear View Camera.

Have been eyeing the Pioneer 4250 unit for sometime now. Just looking for the right shop to do it. For GPS my Garmin 60Csx has arrived in India and should be in my hands within a fortnight.

(as part of the Toyota self healing-self sorting-transformer type program)

Toyota self healing program. Yes i am slowly learning about it.

There is of course nothing you can do about the engine noise that one

Got used to the noise. Infact was'nt a botheration earlier too.

I hope you have a great time, a million miles and many happy memories in your Fortuner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Welcome Columbus and a belated congrats on the wonderful acquisition - Maximus. Along with the Massager does Toyota also give a free Pen...
Thanks amit. Well i just write with a humble reynolds but people like Guderian do write with a Mont Blanc..!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
WOW, What a initial write up...

Greeting to Columbus from Yoda. And to Maximus from my (soon to join the gang) Millennium Falcon.

(voc@toyota-kirloskar.co.in 080-66293001) to get them sorted out..
Thank you Master Yoda. Hope the Falcon arrives in your home very soon. And its really a tough decision to wait for the upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Welcome to T-Bhp Columbus

Its good to see someone from take a Fortuner to Leh from Bhopal.

Where is the Showroom, is it on the Hoshangabad Highway?

The picture of your T-fort in Winds N Waves parking brings backs a lot of memories, thanks for sharing

Great to have you here sir.
Yes the showroom is on Hoshangabad road. Just opposite to Hotel Mark.

Winds N Wave is a special place. Have been going there since school days when it was just a coffee house. Its now is a swanky new look place. What has'nt changed is the slow service. But then who goes there for the service. Half the money is for the view it offers..!

Do you frequent Bhopal ? Perhaps a coffee at W&W...?

BTW i was very well aware of the 2 smiley rule. Just don't know how i missed those extras in a post.
Old 25th July 2011, 23:41   #40
Senior - BHPian

Oh I know that location. Yes Winds N Wave was never good for its service but for the Ambience (that too outside & not inside)

Bhopal is my Hometown, I will ping you whenever I visit next time
Old 28th July 2011, 06:20   #41
BHPian

First of all congrats on owning my fav SUV. Wishing you many more safe & happy miles ahead. Haven't TDed him yet but his mind blowing looks & road presence made me a fan of him the day he was born. The thread is awesome with those fantastic pics. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
Approval from the Ministry of Home Affairs

Buying a 20 lakh vehicle is generally considered criminal / madness in the middle class society we come from. The home minister was supported by the President and the PrimeMinister ( read parents).

"You have gone mad."
"20L buys a decent flat in Bhopal."
"You have no concern for your daughter's future."
"We will have to compromise on our living standards."
blah...
blah...
blah...
This is one thread that I made my Min of HA go thru just for this part
who knows it might help me on my buying a TFort after a couple of years.

Quote:
I told my wife that i have decided on the Fortuner and the booking closes tomorrow. She said book it. No arguments nothing..I could'nt believe my ears. I knew she did not support my decision but still she had said yes for me and i thank her from the bottom of my heart...
Just loved this gesture of yours mate.
smrtdvl is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2011, 08:50   #42
BHPian

The ASC Googly

The ASC experience with Toyota has been till now a sweet lime affair. Again i will say that views penned below are solely based on my experience with 1 ASC. But i have a feeling that this might be the case in all non metro ASCs. Maximus has had 3 services and many visits due to numerous issues listed above.

1. They work on breakdown maintenance and not on preventive maintainance. A habit cultivated by dealing primarily with Taxi Drivers.

2. Over confidence in their product. "Saab Toyota hai.. Kuch nahin hota ismein." is the first line you hear.

3. Not geared to handle the volumes and situation is going to get worse with Etios and Liva going full steam.

4. Lack of trained manpower and careless attitude especially in Fortuner.

Will narrate 2 of the many incidents which happened during my visits to the ASC.

1. Propeller Shaft Greasing at 3rd Service

During the third service the manual specifically states greasing of propeller shafts at 10K kms and greasing within 24hrs if the vehicle has done water fording. Manali to Leh the vehicle sees some good amount of water fording. Got the vehicle inspected at Leh and was told that greasing is not required. I said OK. Will get it done back home at the ASC since it has to be done at 10K. Here is what happened at ASC

Me : 10K service hai. propeller shaft grease hone hain
SA : Saab woh to nahin hota hai
Me : Hota hai. Jao workshop mein pucho
SA : Comes back after a full hr and says.. woh bol rahe hain ki jaroorat
nahin hai.
Me : A bit mad by this time.. I show him the page of the manual and said
to him I want it done.
SA : comes back after another hr and says.. woh bol rahe hain usmein
bahut time lagta hai. Bahut kuch kholna padta hai.
Me : A bit more mad. Come with me to shop floor and asked the mechanic
to raise the vehicle and showed them the grease nipples so
beautifully explained in the Togo channel !! The look on their faces
was priceless.
SA : Ok sir will do it.

A few more hrs later me again went to the floor and asked the head mechanic there.

Me: Iska propeller shaft grease kar diya.
Mech : Woh to nahin hua.
Me : Ab kya problem aa gayi ??
Mech : Saahab Grease Gun hi nahin hai to greasing kaise karenge !!
Me : At least he was honest enough to tell me the truth..!!

2. Balancing of Wheels

During the third service Balancing of wheels was done. First the mech removes the original weight and then puts it on the machine. Rotates the tyres at certain RPM and the machine gives the weight to be applied in few gms at inside and outside of rim.
Now the weight asked by the machine is LESS repeat LESS than the weight of the small small stones that are embeded in the deep tread of the tyres. In short balancing without removing those stones has no meaning. Infact you are now unbalancing it. I asked the mech to remove the stones and then do the balancing. As usual he said " use kuch farak nahin padta ". I said OK. First take a run without removing the stones and note the weight and angular location. Now remove the stones and take a run. As expected the weights and angular location asked by the machine completely changed !
What should have been done is that without removing the original weights just remove those stones. Clean the tyre of any mud and check on the
balancing machine. I am pretty sure the machine would not have asked for any weights. Due to the above i decided to get only 2 front wheels only.

There have been many such incidents and i don't want to sound like a sissy nany by narrating all of them.

Now the Sweet part.

They generally go all out to please you once you have expressed your concern. Once the Customer relationship manager came to my house to discuss the concerns i had rasied. They replaced the parking sensor at my home when it failed the second time. Another silver lining has been that a new GM Works has joined. He is an ex Maruti ASC head and one of the best in business. Perceptible changes are being noticed after his joining.
The grease gun has been ordered after my request.
So i am hoping that things are going to improve further.

The Service costs

1st Service 1K kms -- Rs. 55

Oil Change at 3K kms (was done at my request) -- Rs 2134

2nd Service 5K kms -- Rs 55

3rd Service 10K kms -- Toyota Smile Package for 10K -25K kms -- Rs 7500

Now the smile package covers following services 10K (with oil change), 15K (without oil), 20K (with oil change), 25K (without oil). This also includes wheel alignment and balancing at all services. Plus there are
some other benefits which are like Home Pick up and drop, plus etc etc...
So effectively i am paying Rs.7500 for service from 5001 kms to 25000 Kms i.e. 20K kms. So the per km service cost comes to 37.5 paise / km.
I think the above cost is pretty reasonable for a vehicle of this size and cost.

Last edited by columbus : 28th July 2011 at 09:02. Reason: Added the service costs.
Old 28th July 2011, 10:45   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The ASC Googly

The ASC experience with Toyota has been till now a sweet lime affair.
Hi Columbus,
A good account of the 'affair'. The service cost/s do appear to be rather reasonable with the package.
However the individual costs when racked up without the 'smile' package needs to be computed. Could be high but competitive compared to the rest of the autocos.
Like individual costs for as I understand for eg - 'Inspection' - 1K, Washing - 560/-, alignment/balancing - 550/- oil change -2K etc.
We should also try and get a labour and common parts/consumables rate chart for comparision.
Old 28th July 2011, 16:56   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi Columbus,
A good account of the 'affair'. The service cost/s do appear to be rather reasonable with the package.
However the individual costs when racked up without the 'smile' package needs to be computed. Could be high but competitive compared to the rest of the autocos.
Will post these details also.

Meanwhile here are some Pics from Maximus first outing. Its a small zoological park near the lake. Maximus sure got equal attention to the tiger from the crowd if not more.

Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & Ugly-_mg_6780.jpg

Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & Ugly-_mg_6781.jpg

Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & Ugly-_mg_6782.jpg

Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & Ugly-_mg_6785.jpg

MY daughter having a good time ..

Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & Ugly-_mg_6789.jpg

Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & Ugly-_mg_6792.jpg

Wife trying her hands on the Fort. Her first reaction was " Its so easy to drive." Needless to say a lady driving a T Fort parts ways like Moses .

Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & Ugly-_mg_6817.jpg

Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & Ugly-_mg_6825.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & Ugly-_mg_6806.jpg  

Last edited by columbus : 28th July 2011 at 17:15.
columbus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2011, 02:48   #45
BHPian

Excellent & Honest Review Columbus.
Surely will be a lot of help to anyone contemplating buying a T-Fort.

Rated an extremely well deserved *****
amit_2025 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks