Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2011, 09:37   #61
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
re: Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : 10500 kms & second service completed

hey benny
enjoy the new beast!
yes I would hopefully look at the Duster or the Yeti if buying brand new - just may consider the Koleos if it is not way too high priced and too big for general use.
else may look for a good used X trail or Tucson.
lets see - no real hurry though Im getting tired of the Scorp and the wallowing over bumps and speed breakers. getting older i think!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Thanks for dropping by Shankar. I shall take a call on the bulbs once i have confirmed that adjusting the throw wouldn't help.

I believe the Yeti or the Duster would be the upgrade you're looking at?
Old 12th August 2011, 20:59   #62
Team-BHP Support

re: Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : 10500 kms & second service completed

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Would like to see how they have placed your fog lamp switch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsun View Post
By the way, waiting to see the placement of fog lamp switch on your scorp.
As requested, here's how they have placed the switch for the fog lamps on my Scorp. The odd placement makes it a bit difficult when you seek to switch them on/off. You end up fumbling a bit before locating it.

Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : Scorpio finds a new home!-img_1378.jpg

Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : Scorpio finds a new home!-img_1379.jpg

Now, the disadvantages with this arrangement are:
  • First and foremost, the placement is totally inconvenient.
  • The fog lamps seem to be directly connected to the parking lights. Even with the engine off, the fog lamps turn on, if the parking lights are turned on. The below pic was taken with the engine turned off!
Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : Scorpio finds a new home!-img_1381.jpg
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2011, 21:05   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As requested, here's how they have placed the switch for the fog lamps on my Scorp. The odd placement makes it a bit difficult when you seek to switch them on/off. You end up fumbling a bit before locating it.

Attachment 592170

Attachment 592171

Now, the disadvantages with this arrangement are:
  • First and foremost, the placement is totally inconvenient.
  • The fog lamps seem to be directly connected to the parking lights. Even with the engine off, the fog lamps turn on, if the parking lights are turned on. The below pic was taken with the engine turned off!
Attachment 592172
Benny,thanks for the pictures- the fog lamps need to connected with a stand-alone switch and not with the parking light circuit.
I feel you can let the existing fog lamp switch remain as it is, get the wiring done properly and then fit a new switch, replacing one dummy switch located just below the AC controls. The wiring can be connected to the new switch.
This existing fog lamp switch if removed, will make the dash look bad, unless you are able to cover it properly.
Old 12th August 2011, 21:15   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Benny,thanks for the pictures- the fog lamps need to connected with a stand-alone switch and not with the parking light circuit.
I feel you can let the existing fog lamp switch remain as it is, get the wiring done properly and then fit a new switch, replacing one dummy switch located just below the AC controls. The wiring can be connected to the new switch.
This existing fog lamp switch if removed, will make the dash look bad, unless you are able to cover it properly.
I agree with what you've mentioned. When i asked them to fix fog lamps with the switch on my Scorpio, i assumed it would be done the same way as on your Scorp, i.e. by removing dummy switch and providing the switch provision there. However, i got to see this only when taking delivery, since this was fitted after the initial PDI from my end.

At the moment, i dont think i would fret too much over it, and possibly leave it as it is, unless i feel it becomes rather inconvenient.
Old 13th August 2011, 01:19   #65
BHPian

Ben, thanks for the pics - now I got the idea

Quote:

Vsun, how long till you get delivery? Usually, white is the most common stock retained by dealers, owing to the high demand. The SLE is truly VFM for all the features it comes with.

Close to a month and 1600 kms since i started using the Scorp, i am not used to the placement of the power window switches, but i do agree with the part of not allowing anyone within the vehicle operating the switches.

On the SLE, there are seperate power window switches for the rear passengers on the rear doors, which are absent on the LX.

Regarding installing a switch to control the power windows operation, i would advise against. The ASC folks may use anything to void warranty as per their whims.

I booked my Scorpio on 26-July-2011. The dealer has a 7-seat model with him which can be delivered immediately. But I insisted on 8-seat model and the dealer told me that it may take 25 to 30 days. I decided to wait. But the sad news is that the price of SLE was increased by RS. 10,000/- from 5-Aug-2011 and I have to pay increased price.

Regarding the power windows, I feel that the warranty should stay intact if I manage to install a switch without tampering the wiring. But yes! I do agree with your view about warranty and that is the concern in my mind fighting with the idea of installing a switch.
Old 13th August 2011, 18:21   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

I am not sure if you have browsed through this thread. It was sometime last year when after drives through lots of monsoon-water logged roads, one headlight and a fog lamp had moisture as a permanent guest within. After drying naturally and even artificially, the condensed droplets would reappear. The MASS replaced the two units made by Lumax free of cost. These have a two year warranty. And Touchwood! the guests have not appeared again.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...w-scorpio.html
Old 17th August 2011, 13:17   #67
BHPian

Hi Benny,
Been reading your reviews pretty keenly. Very well written and class clicks Im planning to buy my Scorpio soon.

I currently use an Indigo ..

Lil confused on

1) SLE or LX
2) Buying it in Blore or in Kerala. My use is gonna be totally in Blore, but looking at the Taxes here, a KL regn seems a better option.

Any suggestions ?
Old 17th August 2011, 16:58   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsun View Post
I decided to wait. But the sad news is that the price of SLE was increased by RS. 10,000/- from 5-Aug-2011 and I have to pay increased price.
Ah, tell me about it! I watched and cried as the price went up by 60,000 bucks on the ex-showroom price. I know how it feels.

Quote:
I am not sure if you have browsed through this thread. It was sometime last year when after drives through lots of monsoon-water logged roads, one headlight and a fog lamp had moisture as a permanent guest within. After drying naturally and even artificially, the condensed droplets would reappear. The MASS replaced the two units made by Lumax free of cost. These have a two year warranty. And Touchwood! the guests have not appeared again.
I do remember going through that thread. I do lookout for any moisture in the headlamps after the rains. So far, so good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
Lil confused on

1) SLE or LX
2) Buying it in Blore or in Kerala. My use is gonna be totally in Blore, but looking at the Taxes here, a KL regn seems a better option.

Any suggestions ?
Congrats on your decision, Mannubhai.
As for the query, if you have the budget, the SLE is anyday a much better buy over the LX. ABS in itself should be more than enough reason to consider it, the rest of the features are a bonus.

As for the road tax part, i guess you should be able to manage a KL registration in Bangalore, but you never know when the cops here would go back to their old ways of harassing out of state vehicles. So, you would need to factor in that aspect as well.
Old 13th September 2011, 13:54   #69
Team-BHP Support

5500 kms completed, and 1st service update.

Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : Scorpio finds a new home!-copy-img_1893.jpg

In less than 2 months since i bought the Scorp, it has already completed 5500 kms, which is in stark comparison to my ownership pattern with the Ikon.

The Scorp does all the daily running, which includes the vegetable shopping trips, office commutes, and highway trips. It takes all these in its stride, and the nimbleness with which it accomplishes this deserves credit.

Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : Scorpio finds a new home!-copy-2-img_1916.jpg

We drove the Scorpio to Kerala for a 10 day vacation, and truly loved it for the space it offered, and also the ability to tackle both bad roads, as well as hilly terrains with aplomb. Post monsoons, many roads around my hometown were in shambles, and i could only be grateful that we brought along the Scorpio, and not my Ikon.

The first service interval was around the 4500-5500 kms mark, and considering the number of trips we had planned, it was prudent to get the servicing done while in Kerala, rather than wait to get back to Bangalore. i booked a service appointment with TVS Motors in Kottayam for 8:30 AM.

I had to drive almost 45 kms to get to the service center, and arrived promptly at 8:30 AM. A service advisor took in the vehicle for service at 8:45 AM and was told the vehicle would be delivered by 12PM.

Following were the tasks to be looked into for the first service:
  • First service as per the manufacturer schedule.
  • Rear cabin light works intermittently on opening the rear door.
  • Steering not in center position when going straight.
  • Squeak from the rear seat.
  • Wobble owing to incorrect balancing when going over 100 kmph.
  • Incorrect focusing of headlamps.
As per Mahindra, the first service would involve changing all the oils namely engine oil, transmission oil and differential oil, along with a general checkup and inspection.

As i had to get back the vehicle at the earliest owing to some other plans post servicing, i asked them not to bother with washing the vehicle. As it is, it was raining cats and dogs in Kerala which would negate the wash, not to forget the extra 2-3 hours i would have to wait. I therefore accepted the vehicle at 12 PM, as was initially estimated, although washing was not carried out.

Therefore, the following tasks were carried out:
  • First service as per the manufacturer schedule. - DONE
  • Rear cabin light works intermittently on opening the rear door. - DONE. The switch was lubricated using WD40.
  • Steering not in center position when going straight. - DONE
  • Squeak from the rear seat. - NOT DONE, as i didnt want to spend time over it.
  • Wobble owing to incorrect balancing when going over 100 kmph. - NOT DONE. Will get it done in Bangalore.
  • Incorrect focusing of headlamps. - DONE. Made a whole lot of difference in the night drives after this was done.
Bill breakup is as follows:

ITEM QTY RATE
---------------------------------------------------------------
1.) Clip (Not sure for what) -1- - Rs. 4.90
2.) Oil filter -1- - Rs. 134.39
3.) Oil DO 80W-90 FXL 1/8 -1- - Rs. 373.34
4.) Syncro Gear 2 ltrs -1- - Rs. 417.78
5.) Mahindra Maximile Crown 15W-40 -7- - Rs.1549.35
-------------
TOTAL - Rs.2479.76

VAT@ 12.5% :309.97
Cess@ 1% : 3.11
-------------
TOTAL - Rs.2793.00

Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : Scorpio finds a new home!-copy-img_1875.jpg

Last edited by benbsb29 : 13th September 2011 at 14:26.
Old 13th September 2011, 14:00   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 5500 kms comepleted, and 1st service update.

Quote:
2.) Oil filter -1- - Rs. 134.39
Engine Oil Filter for just 134?? Pretty impressive!!..

Quote:
5.) Mahindra Maximile Crown 15W-40 -7- - Rs.1549.35
How many liters? .. 7 ?

-------------
Old 13th September 2011, 14:14   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As per Mahindra, the first service would involve changing all the oils namely engine oil, transmission oil and differential oil, along with a general checkup and inspection.
IIRC, the transmission oil doesn't need to be changed at the 5k kms service. It's either at 10k kms or 15k kms [don't remember clearly which one of these 2]; I could be wrong though. Better double check the service schedule chart in the manual. I don't think any harm will come by changing it earlier, but it's just unnecessary expense for you as an owner.

Also, 7 litres of engine oil is excessive. The manual clearly states 6.0 litres; maybe an extra 300-400 ml that goes in the oil filter, so 6.5 litres is the max that you should fill.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 13th September 2011 at 14:18.
Old 13th September 2011, 14:32   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
How many liters? .. 7 ?
I believe it should be 6.5 Liters, but they have charged for 7 liters.
The post formatting went for a toss after i posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
IIRC, the transmission oil doesn't need to be changed at the 5k kms service. It's either at 10k kms or 15k kms [don't remember clearly which one of these 2]; I could be wrong though. Better double check the service schedule chart in the manual. I don't think any harm will come by changing it earlier, but it's just unnecessary expense for you as an owner.

Also, 7 litres of engine oil is excessive. The manual clearly states 6.0 litres; maybe an extra 300-400 ml that goes in the oil filter, so 6.5 litres is the max that you should fill.
The capacity should be around 6.0 - 6.5 liters, but was billed for 7 liters. Do other dealers only charge for 6.5 liters?

As for the transmission oil, I shall cross check on that.. however i do remember there were 3 oils to be changed.

As for the maintenance expenses, this is a company owned vehicle, so will be billed to the company's fleet management. I would not fret too much on small expenses, but am totally against any additive kinda expenses.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 13th September 2011 at 14:33.
Old 13th September 2011, 14:44   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The capacity should be around 6.0 - 6.5 liters, but was billed for 7 liters. Do other dealers only charge for 6.5 liters?
I take my own oil, so not sure how much they charge. 6.5L is used and 500 ml returned to me.

However, I have seen the technicians at the ASC return the remaining 500 ml of Maximile oil to owners of mHawk Scorpios that are having their oil changed. So, my guess is they would be charging for 7L.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 13th September 2011, 15:12   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Benny, congrats on the quick 5k. Do edit the title.
Quote:
I believe it should be 6.5 Liters, but they have charged for 7 liters.

Standard practice. Explaination is that the oil filter takes some of the oil too. So it is supposed to be 6.5 (approx) for the sump & 500 ml for the oil filter.

IMO, that's wrong.

Check your manual for tech specs. If it is 6.5, insist on 6.5 only (even if it falls a little short, it's ok). Make them write it in the JC. I have been doing this -actually asking for a little less oil than stated in the manual, it is surprising correctly at top level on the stick.
Old 15th September 2011, 11:21   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
I take my own oil, so not sure how much they charge. 6.5L is used and 500 ml returned to me.

However, I have seen the technicians at the ASC return the remaining 500 ml of Maximile oil to owners of mHawk Scorpios that are having their oil changed. So, my guess is they would be charging for 7L.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Benny, congrats on the quick 5k. Do edit the title.Standard practice. Explanation is that the oil filter takes some of the oil too. So it is supposed to be 6.5 (approx) for the sump & 500 ml for the oil filter.
I checked with my friend who gets his Scorpio serviced at Sireesh Auto, and he too mentioned he was billed for 7 liters of engine oil. So, that seems to be the norm.

Meanwhile, a quick update on the FE figures for the Scorp.

Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : Scorpio finds a new home!-scorpfe.jpg

Quick speeds on the highway meant that the FE remained below the 13kmpl mark.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks