Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2011, 11:31   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : Now at 5500 kms + 1st service updat

Benny, that billing is the norm, M&M or TML or elsehwere. But you can control that part by insisting on the quantity. Even if the A.S.S gives the addnl 0.5 lit (where they do), they are still adding that inncuous bit to their numbers.
Old 28th September 2011, 13:56   #77
BHPian

Re: Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : Now at 5500 kms + 1st service updat

Benny, please help with a few clarifications I am very keen but confused.

1. How would you rate the brakes? Especially for someone upgrading from a Swift?
My budget [already stretched] is strictly for LX - I am okay with all the features of LX except that braking isn't confirmed.

2. Does it sway speed of 120/130 kmph or is it stuck to the road?

3. Does the clutch vibrate if fully pressed?

4. How much FE are you getting with/without AC?

Thanks
Old 28th September 2011, 14:13   #78
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzehar View Post
1. How would you rate the brakes? Especially for someone upgrading from a Swift?
Let me pitch in with my inputs here with what I know Compared to the Swift, which I ve driven pretty extensively, the feel is on par.
Quote:
It would be stable at those speeds as long as you dont attempt car/sedan style lane changes and maneuvers.

Quote:
I haven't faced this in 50k kms of vehicle ownership.

Quote:
The typical FE figures for the city would be around 10.5-11.5 and on the highway around 12-13 kmpl at sane speeds of around 100kmph.
Old 28th September 2011, 14:30   #79
Senior - BHPian

I have to tell you , the first picture is simply awesome - the car look gorgeous and on top of it , it reminds me of home!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Initial impressions :

It rained cats n dogs the day we took delivery. Rather than feel bad about it, we enjoyed it to the max! Went about splashing through puddles (without inconveniencing other road users), and also took it through narrow roads where it commanded respect. The feeling of sitting high up, watching the rest of the world was priceless.

Old 28th September 2011, 15:41   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Benny, please help with a few clarifications I am very keen but confused.

My budget [already stretched] is strictly for LX - I am okay with all the features of LX except that braking isn't confirmed.

Thanks
Devdath has already clarified, however my answers as below. Forgive me for any comparisons with my Ikon, as that is a vehicle i have owned for 5 years now, and also extensively driven.

1. Among the first few times i drove my friend's Scorp, i ended up with some hard braking, as the feel is very different from my Ikon. On the Ikon, the brakes bite towards the end of pushing the pedal, while it is the other way round on the Ikon. I have now gotten used to it. I am usually a careful driver, and try to preempt most braking scenarios on the highway. As a result, have not had any sudden braking needs with the Scorp.

2. The mass of the Scorp means that it remains planted around the 120 kmph mark, while in a straight line. However, try some sudden moves, and you may just "feel" the physics lessons from school about Center of Gravity and so on coming to remind you. The vehicle is still controllable, but its way different from a car. That said, i have taken it on some curves with a fair amount of speed going in, and it was ok. However, word of caution is respect a vehicle with a high CoG, and you will live to tell the tale.

3. Clutch does not vibrate on my vehicle.

4. Since i have graduated to a diesel, i use the A/C fairly often, almost 60-80% of the time. Since a tankful lasts about 500 kms before i fill up, i cannot estimate the FE without A/C. However, in city, i get about 9-11 kmpl, and owing to some good speeds on the 4 laned highways on my outstation trips, FE is about 12-13 kmpl. However, rjstyles69 does manage about 13+ kmpl on his Scorp regularly on the highway, so means i still need to acquire that art.

I have put up a detailed xls image of the FE my Scorp has provided so far on this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
I have to tell you , the first picture is simply awesome - the car look gorgeous and on top of it , it reminds me of home!!
Thanks puchoo. That pic was clicked by fellow TBHPian unni.ak on our drive to Tumkur. Between, are you referring to Bangalore, by "home" ?

Last edited by benbsb29 : 28th September 2011 at 15:42.
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2011, 15:43   #81
Senior - BHPian

Ah , sorry i should have specified , no home for me is Himachal. Kudos to unni.ak for the photograph!

Quote:
Thanks puchoo. That pic was clicked by fellow TBHPian unni.ak on our drive to Tumkur. Between, are you referring to Bangalore, by "home" ?
Old 29th September 2011, 08:40   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2. The mass of the Scorp means that it remains planted around the 120 kmph mark, while in a straight line. However, try some sudden moves, and you may just "feel" the physics lessons from school about Center of Gravity and so on coming to remind you. The vehicle is still controllable, but its way different from a car. That said, i have taken it on some curves with a fair amount of speed going in, and it was ok. However, word of caution is respect a vehicle with a high CoG, and you will live to tell the tale.
I feel for any of the India SUV, fair speed on highway is 100 KMPH. More than that it will go but during sudden maneuver you will learn lessons from Physics as benbsb clarified in post.

This is true in Safari also. So, I hardly try to go beyond 100 - 110 Kmph, where I feel more comfortable. Believe me, even if you do 100Kmph your average speed will go up very fast as you can keep this speed for long. More than that, it is difficult to maintain and you will hardly save 15 - 30 minutes during long drive.
Old 4th October 2011, 09:40   #83
Team-BHP Support

The first scar

On Sunday morning as i was on the way to a birthday party, a senseless fellow on a Pulsar who misjudged a curve came crashing into the rear right of the Scorp near St. Marks road. Had it been my Ikon, I could have looked at a nice dent where the handlebar crashed onto the vehicle. However, the Scorp has come out with a deep scratch around the rear wheel arch.

Makes me wonder if having the plastic cladding would have helped avoid the scratch.. but then again, what if the plastic broke upon the impact?
Old 4th October 2011, 10:30   #84
Senior - BHPian

Re: The first scar

Quote:
On Sunday morning as i was on the way to a birthday party, a senseless fellow on a Pulsar who misjudged a curve came crashing into the rear right of the Scorp near St. Marks road. Had it been my Ikon, I could have looked at a nice dent where the handlebar crashed onto the vehicle. However, the Scorp has come out with a deep scratch around the rear wheel arch.
Hey Benny, hope the Scorp's serving you well!

My Scorp got it's first scratch in a similar manner, so I can very well empathise with you. I was parked on a 4 lane road, waiting for the better half to come out of the ATM, when 3 kids riding triple on a cycle lost their balance and crashed into the Scorpio's right rear door, with the cycle's brake making contact with the metal body just above the cladding. Result - an ugly 3-4 inch long scratch .

Feels horrible, doesn't it, to get your car scratched for no fault of yours?

Anyway, I'd suggest that you don't get it touched up - will help in warding off more evil eyes!

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 4th October 2011, 14:54   #85
BHPian

I had a very similar incident where i was sitting inside the vehicle having parked it in Javanagar ( I was inside the car ) . Then this kid on the cycle came and crashed on the vehicle . Mine was a brand new scorpio 4 months old and i had a similar 6 inch scratch on my vehicle . The kid said sorry and was gone. I got this scratch painted during the next service . Its all a part of game of owing a larger vehicle and in a city like Bangalore . It does feel terrible as pointed out in the above thread . we better get used to this rather then cribbing about it ....
Old 4th October 2011, 16:01   #86
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Hey Benny, hope the Scorp's serving you well!

Feels horrible, doesn't it, to get your car scratched for no fault of yours?

Anyway, I'd suggest that you don't get it touched up - will help in warding off more evil eyes!
Vikram, the Scorp has been going about its duties without complaint.
As for the scratch, i would not be attending to it anytime now.. as you said, helps ward off the evil eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranga View Post
Its all a part of game of owing a larger vehicle and in a city like Bangalore . It does feel terrible as pointed out in the above thread . we better get used to this rather then cribbing about it
I dont think its got to do with having a larger vehicle alone. Its the attitude that you can just about do anything and the other party will just go away grinding his teeth.

Anyways, like you said, no point worrying about such trivial issues.
Old 17th October 2011, 12:25   #87
Team-BHP Support

Did a quick trip to Chennai over the weekend, and the Scorp went about its duties without any fuss. As most of it was night time driving, got to really check out the headlamps effectiveness after the adjustment. No complaints now with the stock setup, so will not be upgrading them for the time being.

As this was a night drive in both directions, i restrained myself to speeds between 80-105 kmph. The result was a FE which was the best i had achieved so far : 14.28 kmpl with almost 100% A/C.

The odo now hovers close to the 8000 kms mark.
Old 26th October 2011, 17:59   #88
BHPian

re: Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : 10500 kms & second service completed

I am also planning to buy a new car in January. I am considering Scorpio LX also. I would like to ask some questions. Does it have different types of indicators like seat belt indicator, low fuel indicator etc? What other things you think are not present that according to you should have been present. Driveability is awesome of Scorpio. Sorry for bothering you with the questions. Hope to hear soon.
Old 27th October 2011, 11:48   #89
BHPian

Quote:
...got to really check out the headlamps effectiveness after the adjustment. No complaints now with the stock setup...

...restrained myself to speeds between 80-105 kmph. The result was a FE which was the best i had achieved so far : 14.28 kmpl with almost 100% A/C.
Hello Ben,

Been reading up your thread and enjoying the detailed information just as in your Ikon thread!

Just like you, I too was a long-time admirer of the Scorpio in its mHawk powered version. Even owning an Ikon 1.6 and a Fiesta 1.6S, I never felt the Scorpio to be a bad handling vehicle (as often made out by many people). IMO, it only needs to be driven with an understanding of its strengths and weaknesses.

Finally took the plunge and booked my Scorpio Sle two weeks ago. My wife is equally keen on the Scorpio. Anxiously awaiting its arrival! Hope to get lot of advice from Scorpio owners here!
Old 27th October 2011, 12:10   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
I am also planning to buy a new car in January. I am considering Scorpio LX also. I would like to ask some questions. Does it have different types of indicators like seat belt indicator, low fuel indicator etc? What other things you think are not present that according to you should have been present. Driveability is awesome of Scorpio. Sorry for bothering you with the questions. Hope to hear soon.
HappyRoadie, all the best with your thought process.
As for your questions about the Scorp LX, it does not come with the seat belt indicator. This is penny pinching at its best, which is also reflected in the fact that on the LX, the cabin light does not come on when the rear doors are opened. However, opening the rear hatch door does illuminate the rear cabin light.

I believe low fuel indicator would be present, as the red LED for the same does blink when the vehicle is switched on, and then goes off. I have never checked this, as i usually top up around the 3/4th mark.

As for other indicators, i dont recall anything else that i miss on the LX, since i was accustomed to not having them on my Ikon.

Please do feel to put forth any other queries on the LX, and i shall be glad to answer. Just a suggestion, if you have the extra budget, do plonk your money on the SLE variant, since it comes with ABS, and also offers much more features over the LX, for a little extra which is worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damu View Post
Hello Ben,

Been reading up your thread and enjoying the detailed information just as in your Ikon thread!

Just like you, I too was a long-time admirer of the Scorpio in its mHawk powered version. Even owning an Ikon 1.6 and a Fiesta 1.6S, I never felt the Scorpio to be a bad handling vehicle (as often made out by many people). IMO, it only needs to be driven with an understanding of its strengths and weaknesses.

Finally took the plunge and booked my Scorpio Sle two weeks ago. My wife is equally keen on the Scorpio. Anxiously awaiting its arrival! Hope to get lot of advice from Scorpio owners here!
Congrats Damu! I did read up on your booking of the SLE. Wishing you the best on getting it at the earliest. It was only a matter of time you bought one, seeing your impressions of the Scorpio on those Goa trips.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks