Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2011, 23:05   #16
Team-BHP Support

re: Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : 10500 kms & second service completed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
WHOA, how did i miss this? Congratulations Ben, am glued to your ownership. As you know my Ikon has also completed wonderful 6 years so am also thinking on the lines of either changing or getting a 2nd car and using this as a 2nd car (for the wife primarily).

Do give your views on the handling and price. Would love to read how you feel with the Scorpio after spending so many wonderful years with Mike.

Wish you a wonderful ownership bro.
Thanks a lot Samarth.
I really feel bad about letting the Ikon go, and would like to retain it as much as possible. Currently, it needs to get the servicing as well as some touchups done, and wifey would use it.

Graduating to the Scorpio was an easy affair for me, as i had travelled with my friend on his Scorpio and also gotten to drive it on quite a few occasions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
One suggestion reg the lighting: Aux lights better than upgrading the stock ones.

Just one other thing: how about de-chroming the grille ? Might look simpler, but not so garish as it is right now.
Quote:
Benny - pls blacken the B & C pillars. It will give a much better look in a very cost-effective way. And you can DIY it.
Thanks Parwath. I have thought of a small mod for the walrus tooth, but will wait a little while. DIY for the B and C pillars are definitely on the cards.

As for aux lights, can be considered depending on how bad the current setup feels in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Congratulations buddy for your Mahinda Scorpio LX.

Very nicely compiled thread with great pictures, rating five stars.

Wishing you happy and safe driving.
Thanks for the rating, bluevolt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Congrats and wishing you lots and lots of miles.

The pics make the Scorpio look very nice indeed. Almost tempting me to consider an upgrade.
A couple of pics which i had posted were clicked by unni,ak using his DSLR, so credit to him as well. The remaining were my own humble efforts with my P&S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Congrats
Welcome to the family of hawks.
She looks haute.
Are those tints legal?
The tints are from Garware, and are of medium visibility. They were complimentary from the dealer. I don't foresee a problem with them as of now. However, i did want darker tints than those i had on my Ikon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Congrats... To me this is (and not the SLE) the most sensible Scorpio model. Now if only, M&M could come up with some optional extras for this like ABS and the 4WD, and this would have been perfect.
Looking forward to more, as you crunch more miles.
Dont know about the rest of the features, but rear wiper as well as ABS would be must-haves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
A few questions and some [unsolicited] advice from me:

1. Have you opted for the extended warranty? If not, please do so.
2. How much did the wheel caps and fog lamp fitment cost you?
Thanks Vikram!
Answers as follows :
1. I have not opted for Extended Warranty, as this is a company maintained vehicle for the lease period. All expenses will be borne by the company.
2. Wheel caps were provided free by the dealer after a lot of haggling. Fog lamps cost me Rs. 2600, but the headlamp stalk was not changed. A separate switch was provided for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
1. Don't shut the glovebox with a bang. Take the lid near the closing position and then close it firmly with a short & swift motion. Same goes for the rear hatch door.
This works at times, and doesnt at times.

Quote:
2. During a cold start, pump the clutch [depress fully!] a couple of times before engaging the gears. Then, go thru the entire range once [1-2-3-4-5-R], before you again put it in 1st and move off. This sounds tedious, but won't take even a minute. I know it doesn't make sense, but I've been following this routine from day 1 and my gear shifts have been always pretty smooth and snag free [touchwood!].
Thanks! Shall try this. What i was doing now was first pumping the clutch pedal, then slot it to 2nd which goes without a fuss, and then slot to 1st.

Quote:
3. Even if your middle row isn't occupied a lot of the time, do open & close the rear power windows once in a while; else the mechanism operates really slowly.
4. Every door has a small cylindrical rubber stopper [with threads] at the bottom corner. These have a tendency to come loose and fall off. If that happens, there's a possibility of your door setting going out of kilter. So, keep an eye on them, specially after a pressure wash & interior cleaning ritual. It's really hard to get them at the ASCs!
5. As you've mentioned, do follow the idling routine religiously.
6. Get your AC filter cleaned at every service. It's a 2 minute job, but contributes immensely to the effectiveness of the AC.
7. Please keep your Scorp as stock as possible!
8. After the 1st oil change at 5k kms, M&M recommends 2nd oil change at 20k kms and then subsequent oil changes at 40k, 60k kms etc. IMO, a 20k kms oil change interval is a bit too much for congested cities like B'lore/Pune. So, after the 1st oil change at 5k kms, my suggestion would be to stick to a 10k kms oil change interval regimen [i.e. oil changes at 5k, 15k, 25k kms etc]. It's a little bit heavy on the pocket, but totally worth it. Use Delvac MX if you like; your Scorp will love you for it.
Will do! Thanks.

Quote:
9. If possible, join this Yahoo group too: Mahindra_Scorpio : Mahindra Scorpio
Already done! Joined even before i got the delivery.

Quote:
P.S: I envy you so much for getting the grey/black interior combo in your Scorp. I hate the beige interiors in my SLE!
Interestingly, i prefer the beige interiors in the SLE. After being used to the grey interiors of my Ikon for close to 5 years now, a change is welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Comgrats on your new purchase. This colour looks good on Scorpio. Wish you many happy and safe miles.

Scorpio is my dream vehicle. Mahindra should have atleast provided door pockets in Scorpio LX. Hope that you will keep this thread updated.
Thanks for the wishes. I would certainly keep this thread updated on a regular basis.
Old 30th July 2011, 00:36   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : 10500 kms & second service completed

Congrats Benny!!.. May you munch thousands of safe miles filled with fun!

Few suggestions on my behalf:
  • Painting the bumpers body color will change the entire look of the machine. I have seen the transformation, and its worth every penny spent.
  • Blackening B and C pillar's? (Like condor suggested)
Regarding lighting, like condor suggested, go for Aux Hella Ralley ones. Lights up every nook of the road. It will be really useful for your trips to kerala.

Also, how confident do you feel cornering the Scrop, after the IKON? I know you are a sedate driver, but still, could you post a brief driving experience comparo with the IKON. Actually, more like safe driving tips for someone who has driven a nice handing sedan and then graduates to an SUV.
Old 30th July 2011, 00:55   #18
BHPian

Congrats on your new drive.
I would like to know more about the performance of the engine. I am interested in Bolero ZLX which shares the same engine.
Thanks in advance,
Old 30th July 2011, 08:33   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
As for aux lights, can be considered depending on how bad the current setup feels in the long run.
Just head over to Mysore road / Hosur road late in the evenings. Even with the road divider, you'll see how 'good' the stock lights are.

So what's the GPS i/o looking like for this weekend ?
Old 30th July 2011, 08:38   #20
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

nice buy- enjoy it!
its a good tough vehicle and will give you many miles of enjoyable usage
have fun
Old 30th July 2011, 09:02   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

First up, hearty congratulations for the new scorp! Wish you trouble free ownership for years to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
  • Painting the bumpers body color will change the entire look of the machine. I have seen the transformation, and its worth every penny spent.
I second this. anjan_c2007 had done a similar mod. Sure transforms the looks of this beast. Hope you don't mind me posting a pic here.

Anjan's ride (Taken from his ownership thread):

Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2011, 10:42   #22
BHPian

I am going for a scorpio lx very soon and have the following queries

1.How much would the Aux Hella Ralley lights cost and are they legal?

2.Will installing a reverse sensor,remote locking and music system from a non authorised shop void the warranty?

3.Will there be a difference in cost/quality if i get the bumpers painted at a non ASC?

4.Can i get front facing 3rd row seats in lx(am willing to pay for it)?

5.Are the fog lamps any cheaper outside mahindra?I would be going for fogs solely for the looks and not for the utility.

I would like to be a bit educated before i visit the showroom for booking.SLE is out of my budget so pls dont advice for it though it makes sense.
Old 30th July 2011, 11:00   #23
BHPian

Congrats on your buy! (and to many other owners of their new rides, since I'm only doing quick peeks on this site for some time now). I own an LX variant in arctic silver hue as well, but that's where the similarities end
Wishing you a happy ownership!

Nice photo shots, and surely a memorable thread. Hoping you keep it updated with many pics. as your ownership days grow. Need to learn to use my DSLR soon. Tips, anyone?

As regards the headlamps, don't beat me for this, but would only suggest you try with the after market 60w offerings from Osram/Philips, which you'll be aware of already. Reasons:
1) despite having corrected vision (glasses, in simple terms), I don't think the "upgraded" 60w headlamps have failed me sighting anything obvious, anytime, on any kind of roads.
2) alternator lives long. ting tong (haha, hope Amaron doesn't hold me up for this, hehe)

Cheers.
Old 30th July 2011, 22:00   #24
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ben,
Congratulations on the wonderful buy !
A truly delightful VFM vehicle, the Scorp.
May you have a long and fruitful association with the Scorp.
Do get a gear lock installed ASAP.

Lovely colour.
Even to this day the delighful shape of the Scorp and just the mere sight of a well maintained Scorp gets my blood all a boilin'

Last edited by Guderian : 30th July 2011 at 22:03.
Old 30th July 2011, 22:34   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations bensb29 ! I am sure your new Scorpio will be the much loved SUV for you and its ownership will definitely grow on you.
The colour is exactly like mine. In fact, mine was among the first few lots from the Refreshed version way back in April 2009.It hasn't given me any nightmarish or even bad experiences to complain about.
As fellow member comfortablynumb says, the P/W's need to be operated at least once or twice a week. Its like physiotherapy to keep the limbs engaged or else these become rheumatic.
The gears are quite stiff in the initial days. The reverse engagement gives a creaking noise when its put in that mode, telling you that there is something wrong in your action, though you are right.
The horn button is the stiffest of all the Mahindras/Jeeps/Willys' I have driven. Rather than a finger touch sufficing, it needs the full palm or "panja" (wah re panja! means hail the palm!) pressure for the sound of "Blow Horn".
Another sore point is the muscular and thick "A"pillar that creates a frightening blind spot.
While reversing, the distances etc are OK, as there's no boot and things can be judged for sure, but if there is a two wheeler parked just behind and one reverses unknowingly, the poor thing may be crushed. Hence, its always preferable to physically check whether there is any such object behind before occupying the driver's seat. Reverse cameras can do the job but I am for a minimal gadgetry.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 30th July 2011 at 22:36.
Old 31st July 2011, 08:22   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I would be painting the bumpers a bit later, once i am bored with the current looks. Looking at it the other way, the black bumpers do give it a tough look.

Blackening the B & C pillars would be done as a DIY, as i had done on my Ikon.

Quote:
Regarding lighting, like condor suggested, go for Aux Hella Ralley ones. Lights up every nook of the road. It will be really useful for your trips to kerala.
I need to consider this, or if i would prefer to upgrade the bulbs. I shall first try with the ASC if it is possible to focus the beam better with the current setup, and then later consider other options.

Quote:
Also, how confident do you feel cornering the Scrop, after the IKON? I know you are a sedate driver, but still, could you post a brief driving experience comparo with the IKON. Actually, more like safe driving tips for someone who has driven a nice handing sedan and then graduates to an SUV.
Going by the initial hearsay about the Scorpio, one would think it would topple with a slight turn of the steering. However, i think a lot has changed since the early days. There is a 90 degree turn i take with a little speed on my Ikon, and tried that although at slightly lower speeds on the Scorp. It wasn't as bad as i had expected it to be. However, i do realize that a vehicle with a high COG shouldn't be subjected to such stunts, and so would exercise due caution as well. I believe sudden flicks of the steering wheel should be avoided, these could be disastrous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayBerry View Post
Congrats on your new drive.
I would like to know more about the performance of the engine. I am interested in Bolero ZLX which shares the same engine.
Thanks in advance,
The Scorpio LX comes with the 2.2 MHawk engine. I do not think the same comes on the Bolero ZLX. The ZLX would come with the M2DiCR engine, the review of which i had posted on this link => M2DiCR

Quote:
Just head over to Mysore road / Hosur road late in the evenings. Even with the road divider, you'll see how 'good' the stock lights are.
I have already realized the dismal throw from the stock beams. I am actually surprised my Ikon headlights had better visibility when stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
nice buy- enjoy it!
its a good tough vehicle and will give you many miles of enjoyable usage
have fun
Thanks Shankar! I had initially planned on the green like your Scorp, but Anjaan's thread converted me to the mist silver as my choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I second this. anjan_c2007 had done a similar mod. Sure transforms the looks of this beast. Hope you don't mind me posting a pic here.

Anjan's ride (Taken from his ownership thread):
I had referred Anjaan's thread quite a few times, and even had the pics downloaded for reference when finalizing the color. Painting the bumpers is a definite action item, but a little later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post
I am going for a scorpio lx very soon and have the following queries

2.Will installing a reverse sensor,remote locking and music system from a non authorised shop void the warranty?

3.Will there be a difference in cost/quality if i get the bumpers painted at a non ASC?

4.Can i get front facing 3rd row seats in lx(am willing to pay for it)?

5.Are the fog lamps any cheaper outside mahindra?I would be going for fogs solely for the looks and not for the utility.
Congrats on your decision. My answers as follows :
2.) Make sure no wires are cut, and connectors are used. That shouldn't have an effect on the warranty.
3.) I plan on getting the bumpers & grill painted outside. If done at a good paintshop should come out well. At the dealer, the costs are highly prohibitive!
4.) Not sure of this. Ramky had done a similar mod on his Scorpio.
5.) It should be cheaper. However, i didn't want to take a chance, so got it done from the dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Nice photo shots, and surely a memorable thread. Hoping you keep it updated with many pics. as your ownership days grow. Need to learn to use my DSLR soon. Tips, anyone?

As regards the headlamps, don't beat me for this, but would only suggest you try with the after market 60w offerings from Osram/Philips, which you'll be aware of already. Reasons:
1) despite having corrected vision (glasses, in simple terms), I don't think the "upgraded" 60w headlamps have failed me sighting anything obvious, anytime, on any kind of roads.
2) alternator lives long. ting tong (haha, hope Amaron doesn't hold me up for this, hehe)
Thanks for the nice comments. I would definitely keep the thread updated, and post many pics as well.

Thanks for the tips on the bulbs as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Lovely colour.
Even to this day the delighful shape of the Scorp and just the mere sight of a well maintained Scorp gets my blood all a boilin'
Thanks Guderian. After a darker color on my Ikon, i wanted a lighter color to hide the dust and muck better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The colour is exactly like mine. In fact, mine was among the first few lots from the Refreshed version way back in April 2009.It hasn't given me any nightmarish or even bad experiences to complain about.

As fellow member comfortablynumb says, the P/W's need to be operated at least once or twice a week. Its like physiotherapy to keep the limbs engaged or else these become rheumatic.
The gears are quite stiff in the initial days. The reverse engagement gives a creaking noise when its put in that mode, telling you that there is something wrong in your action, though you are right.

The horn button is the stiffest of all the Mahindras/Jeeps/Willys' I have driven. Rather than a finger touch sufficing, it needs the full palm or "panja" (wah re panja! means hail the palm!) pressure for the sound of "Blow Horn".
Another sore point is the muscular and thick "A"pillar that creates a frightening blind spot.

While reversing, the distances etc are OK, as there's no boot and things can be judged for sure, but if there is a two wheeler parked just behind and one reverses unknowingly, the poor thing may be crushed. Hence, its always preferable to physically check whether there is any such object behind before occupying the driver's seat. Reverse cameras can do the job but I am for a minimal gadgetry.
Thanks Anjaan. I had referred your thread as well as saved your Scorp pics for reference when i had decided on the LX and color. You would also remember i had asked you for more pics after the bumper painting.

A tip on the reverse gear i had received from the Mahindra service personnel who had come home to explain about the vehicle :
Depress the clutch, and push the gear to the extreme right to engage reverse. Hold it there for a moment, before pushing downwards and it wont complain.

I feel the same about the horn button. My Ikon's horn had a greater area over which it could be depressed, however on the Scorp you need to be sure about where you press. Makes it difficult with the steering turned.

I haven't felt the A Pillar to be a bother so far. I explicitly check if there are vehicles behind before reversing. A reverse sensor would be helpful, but not mandatory for me.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 31st July 2011 at 08:26.
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2011, 17:25   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on the workhorse, Benny! I'm a huge fan of this engine; torquey, driveable in the city and respectably fuel efficient too. The Scorp, as has been proven, can also withstand a lot of abuse. Only wish Mahindra had packaged the interiors better in terms of space.

Drive safe and wish you thousands of kms of happy cruising.
Old 31st July 2011, 17:48   #28
Team-BHP Support

Congrats Benny looking good.

I'm not sure your planning on upgrading to alloys soon but if your not then why not paint the rims black? Right now silver rims with the plastic wheel caps is not looking good at all. Black rims will make the wheel caps closely resemble alloys.
Old 31st July 2011, 18:17   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on your new Scorpio, Benny. Wishing you many miles of fun and enjoyment, and looking at the pics I can figure you've started in earnest already!
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
  • Illogical placement of power window switches.
  • Poor illumination from the headlights + fog lamps.
The power window switches are a bother in the initial stages, but after a while, you would realize that your right hand is ALWAYS on the steering wheel, and the left hand does the work of gear shifting as well as operating the window winder switches. Tollgate payments made easier actually!

And as to the headlamps, I would suggest you switch to the regulation Philips Xtreme Power +80% or Osram Nightbreaker bulbs, and enjoy night driving as much as during the day.
Old 31st July 2011, 19:19   #30
BHPian

Hi BenB:
Congrats for your new ride. Just wanted to know one thing - what makes you buy a Scorpio but not a Safari?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks