Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2011, 19:25   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : 10500 kms & second service completed

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Poor illumination from the headlights + fog lamps.
That's surprising ; I thought Scorpio and Innova were class leaders in this aspect
Old 31st July 2011, 19:30   #32
Senior - BHPian

re: Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : 10500 kms & second service completed

Congrats Benny. So, I don't need to keep an eye on the "62"

That was a nice choice of color.

Happy (s)miles...
mjothi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2011, 19:39   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post
I am going for a scorpio lx very soon and have the following queries

1.How much would the Aux Hella Ralley lights cost and are they legal?

2.Will installing a reverse sensor,remote locking and music system from a non authorised shop void the warranty?

3.Will there be a difference in cost/quality if i get the bumpers painted at a non ASC?

4.Can i get front facing 3rd row seats in lx(am willing to pay for it)?

5.Are the fog lamps any cheaper outside mahindra?I would be going for fogs solely for the looks and not for the utility.

I would like to be a bit educated before i visit the showroom for booking.SLE is out of my budget so pls dont advice for it though it makes sense.
Hi revinitup! most of your queries have been answered by Benny.
2. Fitting a music system does not void the warranty. I got my Balupunkt at the Tata AS & SC.Most Tata dealers are authorised dealers for Blaupunkt. Whereas, Mahindra does not have links with any reputed ICE maker. The OE ICE on Mahindras are Nippon made.
Also I feel a reverse sensor or a remote locking does not nullify the warranty but these two facts may please be verified from the Mahindra AS&SC.These facts are also stated in the manual provided but I am too lazy to open it right now.
3.There will be a difference in cost sure if bumpers etc are painted outside but the AS&SC people have a dust free paint booth and its wiser to spend a little bit more to get nearly the same finish and even the shade matching which is a tricky job these days.
4.Mahindra treats LX buyers like cattleherds who carry either seven or nine persons. The third row is for the higher versions.I found the seven seater with the folding seats (rearmost)(1+1) having a better leg space for the second row. The nine seater has 2+2 folding seats beyond the second row, which reduces the second row leg space.
Coming to premium pampering, I was ready to pay for ABS but these honchos at M&M say safety comes with only the premium versions.
5. The fog lamps are of a shape that fits the slots in the bumper meant to house these. They are of Lumax make and may be also available with a Lumax dealer.However, its preferable to get these fitted at the AS & SC as a dummy switch is removed and the fog lamp switch is fitted therein.I was wanting the left stalk with the OE fog lamp switch and wiper controls. But this is rarely available and the whole unit including the right stalk (headlight parking light control) has to be changed.This costs a bomb. And the LX stalks are rendered "bekaar". So I preferred a switch fitting the dummy switch space that cost me somewhere around Rs 100/-.
In fact, last year my left OE headlamp and fog lamp contracted moisture during monsoon within the sealbeam. The mositure found a permanent address here bothering me. Both were of Lumax make. The dealer was kind enough to replace both free of cost as the two year warranty was still on.

Quote:
The Scorpio LX comes with the 2.2 MHawk engine. I do not think the same comes on the Bolero ZLX. The ZLX would come with the M2DiCR engine, the review of which i had posted on this link => M2DiCR

GrayBerry
Mahindra uses this MHawk engine on nothing other than the Scorpio, not even the Xylo which uses the older 2.6 L CRDe now rebored.
Quote:
Thanks Shankar! I had initially planned on the green like your Scorp, but Anjaan's thread converted me to the mist silver as my choice.

I had referred Anjaan's thread quite a few times, and even had the pics downloaded for reference when finalizing the color. Painting the bumpers is a definite action item, but a little later.
Thanks to you Shankar and Benny for the reference.

Quote:
Thanks Anjaan. I had referred your thread as well as saved your Scorp pics for reference when i had decided on the LX and color. You would also remember i had asked you for more pics after the bumper painting.

A tip on the reverse gear i had received from the Mahindra service personnel who had come home to explain about the vehicle :
Depress the clutch, and push the gear to the extreme right to engage reverse. Hold it there for a moment, before pushing downwards and it wont complain.

I feel the same about the horn button. My Ikon's horn had a greater area over which it could be depressed, however on the Scorp you need to be sure about where you press. Makes it difficult with the steering turned.

I haven't felt the A Pillar to be a bother so far. I explicitly check if there are vehicles behind before reversing. A reverse sensor would be helpful, but not mandatory for me.
Yes Benny, I had sent you the pictures recently.Thanks for the reverse gear tips which I will follow.
There is a perceptible turbo lag at 1500-1700 RPM when the SUV is new initially, but after the running in period this fades away and the beast is ready for the kill! i am sure you must be sensing the lag.
Happy Driving!

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 31st July 2011 at 19:48.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2011, 20:06   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Hi revinitup! most of your queries have been answered by Benny.
2. Fitting a music system does not void the warranty. I got my Balupunkt at the Tata AS & SC.Most Tata dealers are authorised dealers for Blaupunkt. Whereas, Mahindra does not have links with any reputed ICE maker. The OE ICE on Mahindras are Nippon made.
Also I feel a reverse sensor or a remote locking does not nullify the warranty but these two facts may please be verified from the Mahindra AS&SC.These facts are also stated in the manual provided but I am too lazy to open it right now.
3.There will be a difference in cost sure if bumpers etc are painted outside but the AS&SC people have a dust free paint booth and its wiser to spend a little bit more to get nearly the same finish and even the shade matching which is a tricky job these days.
4.Mahindra treats LX buyers like cattleherds who carry either seven or nine persons. The third row is for the higher versions.I found the seven seater with the folding seats (rearmost)(1+1) having a better leg space for the second row. The nine seater has 2+2 folding seats beyond the second row, which reduces the second row leg space.
Coming to premium pampering, I was ready to pay for ABS but these honchos at M&M say safety comes with only the premium versions.
5. The fog lamps are of a shape that fits the slots in the bumper meant to house these. They are of Lumax make and may be also available with a Lumax dealer.However, its preferable to get these fitted at the AS & SC as a dummy switch is removed and the fog lamp switch is fitted therein.I
was wanting the left stalk with the OE fog lamp switch and wiper controls. But this is rarely available and the whole unit including the right stalk (headlight parking light control) has to be changed.This costs a bomb. And the LX stalks are rendered "bekaar". So I preferred a switch fitting the dummy switch space that cost me somewhere around Rs 100/-.
In fact, last year my left OE headlamp and fog lamp contracted moisture during monsoon within the sealbeam. The mositure found a permanent address here bothering me. Both were of Lumax make. The dealer was kind enough to replace both free of cost as the two year warranty was still on.
Thanks Anjan for the detailed reply.I have been following your thread and was initially inclined to silver colour but now thinking of rocky beige.

Still confused whether to paint the bumpers,the black coloured bumpers on rocky beige gives the beast a butch 'dont mess with me' look while painting the bumpers give it a classier look.

Anyway searching threads for rocky beige painted and unpainted bumpers.Guys any suggestion towards such posts?

Last edited by benbsb29 : 1st August 2011 at 04:28. Reason: Fixed broekn quote tag.
Old 31st July 2011, 20:07   #35
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Benny on your new ride. Colour looks good. BTW, can you inform me below..

1) On Road price.
2) Waiting period.
3) Lease period your company have opted and EMI your co. is paying for the vehicle.

I'm planning to go in for this vehicle in near feature (upgrade of course) as it would be company leased on my case also.
Old 31st July 2011, 20:21   #36
BHPian

Ben: CONGRATS on your new aquisition. Wishing you miles of joy, new places and for us more pics!

Cheers
narayanang76
narayanang76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2011, 09:34   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Congrats on the workhorse, Benny! I'm a huge fan of this engine; torquey, driveable in the city and respectably fuel efficient too. The Scorp, as has been proven, can also withstand a lot of abuse. Only wish Mahindra had packaged the interiors better in terms of space.

Drive safe and wish you thousands of kms of happy cruising.
Thanks Rush! I agree with you on the interior space part. For the dimensions on the outside, you wonder at times where it disappeared on the inside. However, that aside, the compact dimensions make for easy maneuverability within the city. I now use this as my everyday vehicle and don't find it inconvenient as such to take around. U-turns too don't require too much of planning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Congrats Benny looking good.

I'm not sure your planning on upgrading to alloys soon but if your not then why not paint the rims black? Right now silver rims with the plastic wheel caps is not looking good at all. Black rims will make the wheel caps closely resemble alloys.
I agree, Vid. But don't think i would bother too much about painting them black. Alloys are certainly not an option as of now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
The power window switches are a bother in the initial stages, but after a while, you would realize that your right hand is ALWAYS on the steering wheel, and the left hand does the work of gear shifting as well as operating the window winder switches. Tollgate payments made easier actually!

And as to the headlamps, I would suggest you switch to the regulation Philips Xtreme Power +80% or Osram Nightbreaker bulbs, and enjoy night driving as much as during the day.
Thanks SS-T. I have now gotten used to their placement, just that after 5 years of using the Ikon, as well as other vehicles, one tends to look for them on the doorpads by default.

I shall try out the headlamps upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandas View Post
Hi BenB:
Congrats for your new ride. Just wanted to know one thing - what makes you buy a Scorpio but not a Safari?
Thanks mohandas. As much as i like the looks of the Safari and also appreciate the extra features it provides on the version i am considering, i didnt consider it for the following reasons :
  • Scorpio is easier to take around the city, as it would be my daily drive.
  • For my family, i really didn't need all the space inside. I don't expect to retain the vehicle that long as to enable to family to grow to fill that space.
  • Better resale value on the Scorpio. Even when buying my Ikon, i was out to check out on used Scorpios. The prices it commanded baffled me. Since this is on a lease plan, resale would be important. Also, the perceptible dismal resale value on my Ikon has mandated going in for a new vehicle with better resale value.
  • Seemingly better reliability of the Scorp. My colleague who has a Safari EX on the company lease plan for close to 3 years now has had multiple replacements on his vehicle. IMHO, it doesn't augur too well for the reliability factor. I am not saying the Scorpio is trouble free, but like i mentioned in the previous point, the market has a different opinion.
  • The most important factor in the decision would also have to be the ex-showroom price of the Safari LX over the Scorp LX. The Safari LX is much more expensive than the Scorp LX. When considering my eligibility, this too becomes important.
Hope that answers my thought process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
That's surprising ; I thought Scorpio and Innova were class leaders in this aspect
Don't know about the Innova, but my experiences with the Scorp so far seems otherwise. No wonder many go about with the highbeams on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
5. The fog lamps are of a shape that fits the slots in the bumper meant to house these. They are of Lumax make and may be also available with a Lumax dealer.However, its preferable to get these fitted at the AS & SC as a dummy switch is removed and the fog lamp switch is fitted therein.I was wanting the left stalk with the OE fog lamp switch and wiper controls. But this is rarely available and the whole unit including the right stalk (headlight parking light control) has to be changed.This costs a bomb. And the LX stalks are rendered "bekaar". So I preferred a switch fitting the dummy switch space that cost me somewhere around Rs 100/-.
In my case, they provided a seperate switch for the fog lamps below the steering. A bit inconvenient in terms of placement, but i saw it only after it was installed.

I also wanted to check with you if the cabin light comes on when the rear doors are opened. On my Scorpio, it does NOT! Cost cutting? On my friend's Scorpio SLE, the rear cabin light comes on when the rear doors are opened.

Quote:
Still confused whether to paint the bumpers,the black coloured bumpers on rocky beige gives the beast a butch 'dont mess with me' look while painting the bumpers give it a classier look.

Anyway searching threads for rocky beige painted and unpainted bumpers.Guys any suggestion towards such posts?
I have not seen a Rocky Beige with the bumpers painted on the net. Saw one here in Bangalore on the roads, but it was in the opposite direction, and coiuldnt click a pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Congrats Benny on your new ride. Colour looks good. BTW, can you inform me below..

1) On Road price.
2) Waiting period.
3) Lease period your company have opted and EMI your co. is paying for the vehicle.

I'm planning to go in for this vehicle in near feature (upgrade of course) as it would be company leased on my case also.
Thanks snaronikar.
The On Road price for the LX would be apprx INR 9.8 lakhs.
The waiting period varies, and in my case was about a month. It was actually much more, but i escalated to customer care and was able to get a slightly early delivery.

Lease period details i shall PM sometime.
Old 1st August 2011, 10:04   #38
Senior - BHPian

Congrats and welcome to the club Benny .Here's me wishing you many miles of happy driving with the Mhawk.

Quote:
The Bad :
Glovebox lid requries a bang to shut it. Feels awful on a brand new vehicle.
Its the same in the SLE also, that thing is a little primitive.
Quote:
Poor illumination from the headlights + fog lamps.
Upgrade to a 130/100's or even 100/90's , it will serve you well.

Quote:
I am going for a scorpio lx very soon and have the following queries

1.How much would the Aux Hella Ralley lights cost and are they legal?

2.Will installing a reverse sensor,remote locking and music system from a non authorised shop void the warranty?

3.Will there be a difference in cost/quality if i get the bumpers painted at a non ASC?

4.Can i get front facing 3rd row seats in lx(am willing to pay for it)?

5.Are the fog lamps any cheaper outside mahindra?I would be going for fogs solely for the looks and not for the utility.

I would like to be a bit educated before i visit the showroom for booking.SLE is out of my budget so pls dont advice for it though it makes sense.
1 - Depends on what model you are looking at. The Rallye 3003 will set you back by 6k plus and the 4000's will cost you atleast 9k's.
2 - Nope's doesnt void the warranty as such and you can get it installed from any place.
3 - Cost definitely yes, quality your eyes is the best judge. As long as the 3rd party workshop is good at paint jobs( preferably have a paint booth) it shouldn't be a matter of concern.
4 - Unlikely AFAIK.
5- Once again is the OEM fogs that you are talking about ? If not I think point one should answer your question.

I still would conjure that you take a look at the SLE in-terms of the fit and quality of plastics.

OT : On a lighter note, how does the scorpio respond to the throttle when you wear the lungi and drive in bumber to bumber city traffic ?
Old 1st August 2011, 10:56   #39
BHPian

Cangrats Benny..I too got sle last month and has been pleasant so far (Touchwood).

As you mentioned, yes the stock headlights are poor for night drives, especially with morons who drive with high beams. So I got mine changed to 130/110 Philips with Hella wiring it.

Also, which tires did you get ? are you sticking to the stock ones ?

Cheers,
Rajesh

Last edited by 2500cc : 1st August 2011 at 10:59.
Old 1st August 2011, 11:11   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Upgrade to a 130/100's or even 100/90's...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
...130/110 Philips with Hella wiring it.
It would not be a good idea to switch to higher wattage headlamp bulbs for the following reasons:
  1. The higher current would burn out the plastic connector - may be solved by replacing with a ceramic connector;
  2. The increased heat from the higher wattage bulbs will burn out/darken the reflectors over a short period of time, negating the gains from a brighter bulb;
  3. MV Act says it's illegal to use bulbs with wattage higher than 55/60W. Do we want to consciously break a law?
Sorry Benny, Riju, 2500cc - that's just my take on the issue! But then we are going on Benny's ownership thread.
Old 1st August 2011, 11:30   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It would not be a good idea to switch to higher wattage headlamp bulbs for the following reasons:
  1. The higher current would burn out the plastic connector - may be solved by replacing with a ceramic connector;
Thats the solution, CERAMIC holders it is.
Quote:
The increased heat from the higher wattage bulbs will burn out/darken the reflectors over a short period of time, negating the gains from a brighter bulb;
Have been using this for like almost 2 yrs now, yet to see something like this.

Quote:
MV Act says it's illegal to use bulbs with wattage higher than 55/60W. Do we want to consciously break a law?
We do break/bend the law in one way or the other every day .
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2011, 12:04   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Its the same in the SLE also, that thing is a little primitive.
This behavior is common across variants. Seen it on EX, LX and SLE. Not sure about the VLX, though. Looks like an issue with the mould.

Quote:
Also, which tires did you get ? are you sticking to the stock ones ?
Rajesh, thanks for the wishes. My Scorp came with the Apollo Hakwz A/T tyres, which are definitely a better bet than the JKs they used to come with earlier. My friend got JKs on his SLE last November, despite strongly requesting for something else.

I dont plan on changing them for the time being.. don't see a reason to do so as of now.

Quote:
Upgrade to a 130/100's or even 100/90's , it will serve you well.
Quote:
As you mentioned, yes the stock headlights are poor for night drives, especially with morons who drive with high beams. So I got mine changed to 130/110 Philips with Hella wiring it.
I guess that would explain the case of Scorpios lighting up the highway, as someone had asked earlier. In stock form, they aren't that effective.

Quote:
  2. The increased heat from the higher wattage bulbs will burn out/darken the reflectors over a short period of time, negating the gains from a brighter bulb;
  3. MV Act says it's illegal to use bulbs with wattage higher than 55/60W. Do we want to consciously break a law?
Sorry Benny, Riju, 2500cc - that's just my take on the issue! But then we are going on Benny's ownership thread.
Thanks for the discussion on this topic, guys. Helped me to realize i wasnt the only one who felt the stock setup inadequate. As such, i dont indulge in a lot of night drives, but even within the city i would prefer better lighting than what i have currently.

Will make a decision based on the feedback received.
Old 1st August 2011, 12:28   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the discussion on this topic, guys. Helped me to realize i wasnt the only one who felt the stock setup inadequate. As such, i dont indulge in a lot of night drives, but even within the city i would prefer better lighting than what i have currently.

Benny, I do at least 4 hours of night driving in all my trips, and I've never felt the stock setup to be lacking.

A lot of the times, the ASC doesn't include headlight focusing as part of the PDI, resulting in a wayward throw of the beam. I'd suggest that you double check that both low & high beams are aligned and focused correctly. If you feel that they are inadequate even after that, then only go for the upgrade.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 1st August 2011, 12:57   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In stock form, they aren't that effective.
...i dont indulge in a lot of night drives...
See, Benny, I do drive all night at times, and use Philips Xtreme Power 80% 55/60W bulbs. I'm more than satisfied with them, and would suggest you try them out without performing major surgery like change of harness/holder/relays etc. Cost about Rs.1000-1200 for the pair.
Quote:
We do break/bend the law in one way or the other every day .
Not when travelling across different states - cops & the RTOs are known to be nasty on these issues, especially when they spot an out-of-state vehicle. Ask HVK!
Old 1st August 2011, 12:59   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
See, Benny, I do drive all night at times, and use Philips Xtreme Power 80% 55/60W bulbs. I'm more than satisfied with them, and would suggest you try them out without performing major surgery like change of harness/holder/relays etc. Cost about Rs.1000-1200 for the pair.

Not when travelling across different states - cops & the RTOs are known to be nasty on these issues, especially when they spot an out-of-state vehicle. Ask HVK!
+1 to Philips Extreme Power. Totally worth it.
Just be careful as a lot of fakes are in the market.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks