Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2011, 13:12   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : 10500 kms & second service completed

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Don't know about the Innova, but my experiences with the Scorp so far seems otherwise. No wonder many go about with the highbeams on.
Having tasted "human blood"(90/100w halogens) on my Premier and Esteem , I was shocked with the bad illumination my Versa gave with stock lights

I put in a PMP relay-cum-wiring kit with 90/100 bulbs - the arrangement lasted me well from 2005 to 2010(till I sold the car) with no damage to the reflectors at all.

The kit cost me 650 and involved no surgery whatsoever - super neat arrangement.

+1 to your observations on the Scorpio - very easy to manoeuvre given its rather short length
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2011, 13:46   #47
BHPian

re: Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : 10500 kms & second service completed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
I still would conjure that you take a look at the SLE in-terms of the fit and quality of plastics.

OT : On a lighter note, how does the scorpio respond to the throttle when you wear the lungi and drive in bumber to bumber city traffic ?
Is there any difference in the quality of plastics between lx and sle?

yet to master the lungi hence sticking to trousers
Old 1st August 2011, 16:29   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Benny, I do at least 4 hours of night driving in all my trips, and I've never felt the stock setup to be lacking.

A lot of the times, the ASC doesn't include headlight focusing as part of the PDI, resulting in a wayward throw of the beam. I'd suggest that you double check that both low & high beams are aligned and focused correctly. If you feel that they are inadequate even after that, then only go for the upgrade.
That is indeed agenda # 1, as i had mentioned earlier on the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
See, Benny, I do drive all night at times, and use Philips Xtreme Power 80% 55/60W bulbs. I'm more than satisfied with them, and would suggest you try them out without performing major surgery like change of harness/holder/relays etc. Cost about Rs.1000-1200 for the pair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
+1 to Philips Extreme Power. Totally worth it.
Just be careful as a lot of fakes are in the market.
Thanks for the suggestions on the Philips Extreme Power, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post
Is there any difference in the quality of plastics between lx and sle?
The dashboard quality is pretty much the same, although the SLE comes with beige interiors. The difference lies in the door trims, the illuminated keyring, the map lights for the cabin, theater style dimming, speaker provisions on the doors, door pockets, Voice Assist, ABS, etc.
Old 2nd August 2011, 18:24   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In my case, they provided a seperate switch for the fog lamps below the steering. A bit inconvenient in terms of placement, but i saw it only after it was installed.
I also wanted to check with you if the cabin light comes on when the rear doors are opened. On my Scorpio, it does NOT! Cost cutting? On my friend's Scorpio SLE, the rear cabin light comes on when the rear doors are opened.
Would like to see how they have placed your fog lamp switch.
The front and rear cabin lights (there are two inside) do not light up when the rear doors are opened.Yes the higher versions have this option.
The rear cabin light should also ideally have a mode to switch on automatically when the tailgate is opened.
Till you keep the bumpers, grille , door handles and mirrors black, use 3M plastic shine fluid to get the original shine. The new shine is OK for 2/3 months after which there are signs of fading.The AS&SC chaps also do it for us when the SUV is serviced.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 2nd August 2011 at 18:26.
Old 3rd August 2011, 12:08   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Would like to see how they have placed your fog lamp switch.
I do not have a snap currently, but shall click one and upload sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The front and rear cabin lights (there are two inside) do not light up when the rear doors are opened.Yes the higher versions have this option.
The rear cabin light should also ideally have a mode to switch on automatically when the tailgate is opened.
That's bad. I initially thought this was because there was an issue with the switch. The rear cabin light does come on when the tailgate is opened, though.

Further impressions:

Over the course of the additional usage within the city, i have come to realize that the engine now feels a whole lot smoother, gear shifts even when cold are easier (Thanks for the tip, Vikram!) and it quite nimble for its size to take around the city.

On my way to work, i pass through some congested and narrow roads which seem easier on the Scorpio, owing to the fact that when i need to move close to the kerb to give space to a tractor from the opposite side, i can either climb on the kerb, or go in rather close without the fear of scraping the bumper.

Greater respect on the roads from commercial vehicles also adds to lesser road rage while on the road.

Here's another pic which was clicked when going off the road at Tumkur.
Pic credit : Unni.ak

Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : Scorpio finds a new home!-img_5344.jpg
Old 9th August 2011, 09:56   #51
Team-BHP Support

The Scorpio has now crossed 1500 kms, and for the second time, the battery low indicator has lit up. Just as was the case in the first time, it went off immediately after the vehicle started moving, but i was wondering if it needed some attention.

When pressing the horn for an extended beep, the sound is not consistent, but is of lower intensity. I was wondering if this hinted towards a weak battery (Exide battery as OEM), but as pointed out by Aroy on the Scorpio issues thread, maybe the contacts need to be cleaned.

Will have to check.
Old 9th August 2011, 10:43   #52
Senior - BHPian

Don't know how I missed this thread for all these days Benny.
The only thing I was worried about on seeing this thread that did you let go of your Ikon!!
But now that the Ikon is still staying with you, I can happily congratulate you for your new onwership.

Congratulations Benny for owning this monster. Went through all the 4 pages of discussion, found it quite informative, though not of use as of now.
Will be looking forward for updates on this thread, but don't forget to update the Ikon thread too sometimes.

Have fun and enjoy scaring the autos on the road. It's payback time for all those auto's and SUVs which didn't give way to your Ikon.hehe.!!!
Old 9th August 2011, 12:53   #53
BHPian

Wow benbsb29.. Congrats on your purchase.. Its a beauty..!
An SUV is a dream..
You have posted amaZing pics. Really good use of the light and locations.!!
Old 9th August 2011, 19:54   #54
BHPian

Congrats Ben,

Dunno how i missed this , welcome to the MHawk world, im sure that you are finding it a Huge difference when it comes between IKON and a Hawk, even i had the same issue for 3 to 4 months till i got used to it.

I also had the Bluevision lamps , thought it was ok till i changed it to OSRAM Night Breaker , it was a revelation , never thought of moving to the higher wattage after this. i have also procured a pair of Philips Extreme from abroad, need to find out how good these guys are too...

Happy Motoring or Hawkin... Catch you sometimes in Both Forums...

Regds
Raghu.
Old 9th August 2011, 21:01   #55
BHPian

Quote:
When pressing the horn for an extended beep, the sound is not consistent, but is of lower intensity. I was wondering if this hinted towards a weak battery (Exide battery as OEM), but as pointed out by Aroy on the Scorpio issues thread, maybe the contacts need to be cleaned.
Congrats on the SUV Benny!

Keep a good eye on the battery. I learnt from my colleagues that ORIX does not cover the battery under the maintenance . While this may be fine till the vehicle warranty is present, for the rest of the 44 months, you will need to be prepared for this expense.
Old 10th August 2011, 10:02   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Don't know how I missed this thread for all these days Benny.
The only thing I was worried about on seeing this thread that did you let go of your Ikon!!
But now that the Ikon is still staying with you, I can happily congratulate you for your new onwership.
Thanks Manish.
The Ikon currently stays, for use by wifey. Its currently at my FNG for some long pending dent work and painting, as well as the servicing. I had also asked for a look ay the suspension. I shall update the happenings on the Ikon thread once i get the car back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowaby View Post
Wow benbsb29.. Congrats on your purchase.. Its a beauty..!
An SUV is a dream..
You have posted amaZing pics. Really good use of the light and locations.!!
Thanks Aby. Some pics on this thread were clicked by my friend and fellow TBHP member unni.ak. He deserves the credit as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vraghuz View Post
Congrats Ben,

Dunno how i missed this , welcome to the MHawk world, im sure that you are finding it a Huge difference when it comes between IKON and a Hawk, even i had the same issue for 3 to 4 months till i got used to it.

I also had the Bluevision lamps , thought it was ok till i changed it to OSRAM Night Breaker , it was a revelation , never thought of moving to the higher wattage after this. i have also procured a pair of Philips Extreme from abroad, need to find out how good these guys are too...

Happy Motoring or Hawkin... Catch you sometimes in Both Forums...
Raghu, thanks for the wishes. It indeed feels a lot different from driving the Ikon. Patience is a virtue i am learning now, thanks to the idle times on starting as well as shutdown. However, managing its dimensions has not been an issue ever, so far. Its quite nimble for its size.

Good to see a lot of familiar people on the yahoogroups as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
Congrats on the SUV Benny!

Keep a good eye on the battery. I learnt from my colleagues that ORIX does not cover the battery under the maintenance . While this may be fine till the vehicle warranty is present, for the rest of the 44 months, you will need to be prepared for this expense.
Thanks for the headsup on the battery part, Rajdeep.
Unfortunately, the Exide warranty is only for one year, and not even for the period of the vehicle manufacturer warranty! I would get it checked when going for the service.

In additional updates, i got a music system installed on the Scorpio. Shall post the details later, after i have clicked some pics.
Old 10th August 2011, 18:19   #57
BHPian

COngratulations benny on a very wise choice and a beautiful car to drive. I got my scorpio in december last year and have been smiling ever since. wishing you many millions of safe driving miles.
Old 12th August 2011, 01:20   #58
BHPian

Hi Ben. Just completed reading this thread. Nice review and nice pics. Congrats and wish you miles of happiness with your scorp.
I too booked my scorp (Diamond White SLE) and eagerly waiting for the new family member to come home.
By the way, waiting to see the placement of fog lamp switch on your scorp.
I don’t like the placement of power window switches (In-between front seats ) in the scorpio and feel that the control of operating power window switches should only be in the hands of driver and not other occupants of the car. So I am thinking of installing a switch somewhere under steering wheel to restrict power window operation.
The driver should be the king
Old 12th August 2011, 06:29   #59
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

i found the stock headlamps perfectly good even in conditions of fog around new years in Coorg and Nilgiris. but just because I wanted to, I had the lamps changed to 90/100 hella lamps and the effect is even better now.
the scorp has served me well for the 3.4 years of it being with me. no regrets.
but now the time has come to consider a change to a safer, more comfortable suv.
cheers
Old 12th August 2011, 07:35   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakashutosh View Post
COngratulations benny on a very wise choice and a beautiful car to drive. I got my scorpio in december last year and have been smiling ever since. wishing you many millions of safe driving miles.
Thanks for the wishes, prakashutosh. I agree with what you've said. The 2.2 MHawk does make for enjoyable driving.

Which variant of the Scorp did you buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsun View Post
Hi Ben. Just completed reading this thread. Nice review and nice pics. Congrats and wish you miles of happiness with your scorp.
I too booked my scorp (Diamond White SLE) and eagerly waiting for the new family member to come home.
By the way, waiting to see the placement of fog lamp switch on your scorp.
I don’t like the placement of power window switches (In-between front seats ) in the scorpio and feel that the control of operating power window switches should only be in the hands of driver and not other occupants of the car. So I am thinking of installing a switch somewhere under steering wheel to restrict power window operation.
The driver should be the king
Vsun, how long till you get delivery? Usually, white is the most common stock retained by dealers, owing to the high demand. The SLE is truly VFM for all the features it comes with.

Close to a month and 1600 kms since i started using the Scorp, i am not used to the placement of the power window switches, but i do agree with the part of not allowing anyone within the vehicle operating the switches.

On the SLE, there are seperate power window switches for the rear passengers on the rear doors, which are absent on the LX.

Regarding installing a switch to control the power windows operation, i would advise against. The ASC folks may use anything to void warranty as per their whims.

As for the fog lamps switch on my vehicle, i still haven't clicked any pics of it. Shall do so soon, and upload.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
i found the stock headlamps perfectly good even in conditions of fog around new years in Coorg and Nilgiris. but just because I wanted to, I had the lamps changed to 90/100 hella lamps and the effect is even better now.
the scorp has served me well for the 3.4 years of it being with me. no regrets.
but now the time has come to consider a change to a safer, more comfortable suv.
cheers
Thanks for dropping by Shankar. I shall take a call on the bulbs once i have confirmed that adjusting the throw wouldn't help.

I believe the Yeti or the Duster would be the upgrade you're looking at?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks