Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2011, 11:32   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : 10500 kms & second service complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
....all in all the Scorp is averaging between 13.5 -14 KPL consistently albiet, with no AC use.....Darn impressive for the beast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I gave the Scorp in for the second service at Sireesh Auto @ Marathalli.
@himanshugoswami - My vehicle's FE figures are similar to that got by benbsb29. Your vehicle's 13.5 - 14 kmpl without AC, on a mix of city & highway like roads is amazing FE. I guess we can attribute that to a refined driving style too, in addition to a frugal engine

@benbsb29 - You certainly are clocking up the miles really fast! Good to read that you're having a hassle free ownership. Touchwood!

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 23rd December 2011, 12:04   #107
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : 10500 kms & second service complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
My SLE has done close to 4k now in two months and my drive is a mix of city roads in Gurgaon and a "quasi highway" i.e. MG road to Delhi- all in all the Scorp is averaging between 13.5 -14 KPL consistently albiet, with no AC use.....Darn impressive for the beast.

Now if only something could be done about those seat rattles!!
We seem to be having similar running patterns, close to 2k kms per month.
In my case, the Scorp is used for everything from the weekend grocery shopping which involves really short runs, as well as weekday office commutes involving a lot of stop n go traffic. I dont usually turn off the engine unless i can foresee a long wait. Guess that would explain the difference in FE figures in my case.

Thankfully, no seat rattles so far. Between did you get the 7 seater or 8 seater?
The only rattle i have observed is the plastic which covers the speedo console, which resonates at some particular frequency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
@himanshugoswami - My vehicle's FE figures are similar to that got by benbsb29. Your vehicle's 13.5 - 14 kmpl without AC, on a mix of city & highway like roads is amazing FE. I guess we can attribute that to a refined driving style too, in addition to a frugal engine

@benbsb29 - You certainly are clocking up the miles really fast! Good to read that you're having a hassle free ownership. Touchwood!
Thanks for the wishes, Vikram. I believe this is the first vehicle i have owned which seems to be clocking the miles rather fast. I guess my Pulsar used to be a bit similar during my early days with it in Hyderabad.
Old 12th January 2012, 11:53   #108
Team-BHP Support

Odo ticking fast. This happened earlier this week.

Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : Scorpio finds a new home!-photo0811.jpg

The Scorp is due for a wheel alignment, as it has never been done since the time i bought it. One wheel balancing was done at around the 3500 kms mark, so that needs to be done as well.
benbsb29 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 12:00   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Scorp is due for a wheel alignment, as it has never been done since the time i bought it. One wheel balancing was done at around the 3500 kms mark, so that needs to be done as well.
Don't forget the tyre rotation too. The diagram given in the manual includes the spare, but I usually skip it. What I follow is:

front left --> rear right, front right --> rear left

rear left --> front left, rear right --> front right

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 2nd February 2012, 06:00   #110
Team-BHP Support

13,000 kms completed

Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : Scorpio finds a new home!-img_2709.jpg

Returned back from a trip to Palakkad over the Republic Day weekend. Covered a distance of about 1200 kms, which included the to and fro trip from Bangalore, as well as various places in Palakkad and Guruvayoor. The Scorp felt well at home, cruising between 100-120kmph on the 4 laned highways, while devouring the bad roads at the Avinashi-Coimbatore stretch with equal
aplomb.

Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : Scorpio finds a new home!-img_2684.jpg

Among the places we visited included places which involved quite a bit of trail driving, along with a stream crossing.

Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : Scorpio finds a new home!-img_2712.jpg

On previous occassions when travelling with the Ikon, we used to park it at a friend's place, and then accompany my relative in his 2WD Jeep, a CL500. This time however, where the Jeep climbed with its nimbleness, the Scorp managed with the excellent low end torque. The Apollo Hawks, which are of AT spec didnt let us down through the trail.

Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : Scorpio finds a new home!-img_2681.jpg

Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : Scorpio finds a new home!-img_2685.jpg

At Guruvayoor, i spotted this Scorpio LX, Mist Silver with a decent set of alloys, and body colored bumpers. Its amazing how different the vehicle looks in this getup. Leaning more towards getting the bumpers painted, but then the carefree nature which the black bumpers provide me in the traffic battles make me look the other way.

Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : Scorpio finds a new home!-img_2726.jpg

I had done a wheel alignment and balancing of 4 wheels prior to the trip at Madhus, and the service was quite prompt. This was despite the fact that the same should have been done at the dealer during the 2nd service. However, with the dealer saying their machine has some issue, or needs to be installed, this didnt happen. I didnt want to waste my time further dealing with them,
and so got it done at Madhus itself.

The Scorp returned FE figures of 13+kmpl on both the to-and-fro trips, which also included some spirited runs, as well as city driving through some major traffic jams. I find no reason to complain. The odo now reads 13,000 kms.

Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : Scorpio finds a new home!-img_2672.jpg

Last edited by benbsb29 : 2nd February 2012 at 06:03.
benbsb29 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2012, 06:41   #111
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29
Exactly 5 months and over 10,000 kms covered. The Scorp goes about its duties without a fuss, and its time for the second service. It goes in for the scheduled service with no complaints to speak of, save for an alignment check. Will update on the service once the vehicle is back.
Benny, thats lots of mile crunching.

How is apollo hawkz performing ? How about the noise levels at higher speeds?

Last edited by v&v : 2nd February 2012 at 06:44.
Old 2nd February 2012, 08:04   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : Now at 15,000 kms & 3rd service done

Benny, 13k already ? You seem to have started making trips with a vengeance !

How are the Hawks - grip, road noise, braking ?

See - you should go for them alloys The OE wheel covers are crap !
Old 2nd February 2012, 17:15   #113
Team-BHP Support

re: Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : Now at 15,000 kms & 3rd service done

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Benny, thats lots of mile crunching.

How is apollo hawkz performing ? How about the noise levels at higher speeds?
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
How are the Hawks - grip, road noise, braking ?
The Hawkz have been reasonably quiet, and not much road noise to report. Grip levels too are sufficient, and i haven't felt loss of grip on hard braking, so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Benny, 13k already ? You seem to have started making trips with a vengeance !

See - you should go for them alloys The OE wheel covers are crap !
This trip was undertaken to attend 2 weddings, and also visit relatives and friends in Palakkad. It was planned earlier.

Actually, the OEM wheel covers are nice, and i quite like the design. I wouldnt opt for alloys on the Scorp owing to the pounding it takes over bad roads, but as suggested earlier would think of painting the rims black for the effect as seen on the SLE. All in due time.
Old 2nd February 2012, 18:56   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 13,000 kms completed

~2k in ~20 days? Thats super cool!!..
Quote:
The Apollo Hawks, which are of AT spec didnt let us down through the trail.
Not sure about Apollo AT's but AT's generally offer superior grip when compared to HT's off the road. My Jeep can do stuff other 2WD's can only dream of. Not tested in slush though.
Quote:
Its amazing how different the vehicle looks in this getup.
I told you so..

Benny, please paint the bumpers. I completely understand about the scratchy part, but then its totally worth it. (You know, before tbhp, I used colgate toothpaste on the scratches on my uncles Zen LX, with body colored bumpers, for a short while)
Old 20th February 2012, 10:35   #115
Team-BHP Support

Went on a drive to the grasslands of Bangalore - Hesaraghatta over the weekend. Here are some pics which i had clicked using my humble P&S camera.

As the time was post noon, the harsh sunlight was a bit of a downer. Nevertheless!

Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : Scorpio finds a new home!-scorpiolx-1.jpg

Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : Scorpio finds a new home!-scorpiolx-2.jpg

Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : Scorpio finds a new home!-scorpiolx-3.jpg

Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : Scorpio finds a new home!-scorpiolx-4.jpg

Last edited by benbsb29 : 20th February 2012 at 10:40.
Old 20th February 2012, 11:18   #116
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics, your scorp looks squeaky clean, where is this place?
Old 20th February 2012, 14:43   #117
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Nice pics, your scorp looks squeaky clean, where is this place?
Thanks motomaverick.
The Scorp did pick up some dust, but being of a light color, it doesnt show up much.

More details on Hesaraghtatta as well as directions to get there can be found at the link below :

Hesaraghatta
Old 21st February 2012, 22:12   #118
BHPian

A very nice thread ... While looking at the Scorpio LX SEATING it mentioned that LX comes only in 7 Seater ( I understand this seat layout) and 9 seater . What is this 9 seater.. Does the front seats are also bench like good Amby Seats

SUV Features
Old 21st February 2012, 22:52   #119
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Benny, i know am about 11k+ kms late you seem to be munching kms real fast

Wanted to know your feedback on Hawks? are you satisfied with it? getting my Safari LX in couple of days and the truck has the hawks AT...
Old 22nd February 2012, 17:13   #120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.R.Boruwa View Post
A very nice thread ... While looking at the Scorpio LX SEATING it mentioned that LX comes only in 7 Seater ( I understand this seat layout) and 9 seater . What is this 9 seater.. Does the front seats are also bench like good Amby Seats

SUV Features
Thanks Boruwa.
I am not sure of how the 9 seater configuration would look like, and i cannot imagine a seating configuration similar to the Amby!

On the site, i didn't find where the seating configurations were mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Congrats Benny, i know am about 11k+ kms late you seem to be munching kms real fast

Wanted to know your feedback on Hawks? are you satisfied with it? getting my Safari LX in couple of days and the truck has the hawks AT...
Lohith, thanks a lot for the wishes.
I was following your thread on the Bolero vs Sumo Grande, and realized you had decided on the Safari LX. In terms of features you get, the Safari LX beats the Scorpio LX big time, no doubts about that.

As for your question on the Apollo Hawkz, from what i understood based on your requirements in that thread, they should be fine for your kind of usage, which includes sedate highway speeds and city driving. Since my usage is similar, i dont seem to have much issues with it. These are anyday better than the JKs.

Most Viewed