Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2012, 14:36   #151
Senior - BHPian

re: Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : Scorpio finds a new home!

Benny i get this rattle in my scorp as well at low rpms. I have diagnosed it as an ill fitting dashboard plastic screen. there would probably be some play in the screen if you touch it. The A.S.S. suggested putting some packing in one of the corners but that ruins the aesthetics so i have not done it till date. At times, you can visually observe the plastic screen vibrate as well.
Old 19th July 2012, 14:59   #152
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Benny i get this rattle in my scorp as well at low rpms. I have diagnosed it as an ill fitting dashboard plastic screen. there would probably be some play in the screen if you touch it. The A.S.S. suggested putting some packing in one of the corners but that ruins the aesthetics so i have not done it till date. At times, you can visually observe the plastic screen vibrate as well.
Himanshu, the speedo visor vibration is a standard feature on all Scorpios. I remember reading about them in many ownership reports, including Riju's. Some have gotten this addressed through additional packing near the visor. I have also observed that this goes away if i hold the visor in place with my fingers. For this, i plan on getting some rubber beading to hold it in place, as a DIY.

However, the particular one i am referring to is different. It is observed only at low RPMs, and a loud irritating rattle - more like a drone at times. Even at standstill, if i rev the vehicle a bit, it goes away, only to come back once the vehicle settles back into the idle RPM. This is not present on cold start, but after the vehicle has warmed up.
Old 19th July 2012, 15:07   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
----------------------------------

Moving on, here is the latest update.
Benny, This thread had almost made me buy a scorp. So I keep coming back to check on your ride.

I must say, its pretty amazing that you keep track of the fuel consumption in such minute detail. I think many here do that. I for that matter, have never been able to do that. Always have been a fill it, shut it, forget it guy
Old 19th July 2012, 16:45   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29

Rajesh, thanks a lot for the tip! I shall check this today itself. However, i kinda feel the sound originates from somewhere near the dashboard, so never thought of this as an option. Also, i cannot rule out the option that my 3 year old daughter could have dropped something through the A/C vents near the windshield. :(

Thanks for visting this thread, Dhanush.

On my particular vehicle, i got the Apollo Hawkz as OEM. These are any day better than the JKs, if i were to get them! My colleague and friend got JKs on his Scorpio SLE, and cannot get enough words to curse them.
Even the Scorpio I had came with JK, guess what it did 75k km before I changed to Dueler which could do only 50k km
Old 19th July 2012, 21:09   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Quote:
Himanshu, the speedo visor vibration is a standard feature on all Scorpios. I remember reading about them in many ownership reports, including Riju's. Some have gotten this addressed through additional packing near the visor. I have also observed that this goes away if i hold the visor in place with my fingers. For this, i plan on getting some rubber beading to hold it in place, as a DIY.

However, the particular one i am referring to is different. It is observed only at low RPMs, and a loud irritating rattle - more like a drone at times. Even at standstill, if i rev the vehicle a bit, it goes away, only to come back once the vehicle settles back into the idle RPM. This is not present on cold start, but after the vehicle has warmed up.
Ever heard of the Achilles Heel,this truly is one. Every other failure self heals except for his. That said my DIY popped its self from the speedo console,looks like it dint want to stay there for long. Time to get silicone gel and give it another shot.
Old 20th July 2012, 13:36   #156
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshchand View Post
the radio antenna on top of the vehicle loose and just tightened it, it did not rattle for the 120k kms that I drove before selling it. You can just check this.
Checked this, and the antenna is sitting tight. Ruled out this as the culprit. :( All the more difficult now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
Benny, This thread had almost made me buy a scorp. So I keep coming back to check on your ride.

I must say, its pretty amazing that you keep track of the fuel consumption in such minute detail. I think many here do that. I for that matter, have never been able to do that. Always have been a fill it, shut it, forget it guy
Thanks for the nice words, Manoj. I remember our discussions earlier on this thread before you went for the XUV.

As for the FE readings, i have been maintaining a log of the same on my Ikon as well. A variance in this helps me indentify if there is something amiss, which needs to be looked at. I was able to use this information along with some slight misfiring on my Ikon to identify a failing ignition coil.

Although i maintain this information manually, these days you have apps on Android which help you store these details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Ever heard of the Achilles Heel,this truly is one. Every other failure self heals except for his. That said my DIY popped its self from the speedo console,looks like it dint want to stay there for long. Time to get silicone gel and give it another shot.
I was counting on your DIY to do the same myself. Let me try my luck with this, sometime.
Old 30th July 2012, 14:12   #157
Team-BHP Support

One year of ownership!

Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : Scorpio finds a new home!-img_2789-copy-copy-2.jpg

Without me even realizing the fact, its been a year since my Scorpio joined the family. 23,000+ kms down the line, i can only look back with happiness at the journey so far. It's taken us to innumerable places, and all the while maintained its charm as it goes about its daily duties, which include all the trips to the neighbourhood supermarket for groceries, and also as it cruised along the highways as we made our way from one journey to another.

Despite the external bulk, it has always been relatively easy to take it around town (except for that damned parking setup they have at Oasis Mall on Inner Ring Road!!). For the size of our little family, the space inside has been more than generous, and we have used the 7 seater capacity only on few occassions. The Scorpio also happens to be the de facto vehicle whenever there is a team lunch planned from office.

The 2.2L MHawk is a gem. It never ceases to amaze with the enormous torque available on tap, which makes small work of inclines despite a full load. Even when cruising on the highway, all it requires is a little tap to overtake some of those pesky
vehicles hogging the fast lane. Under controlled driving, the MHawk returns FE figures quite appreciable from a 2.5 tonner (The last tankful returned 13.26 kmpl for city driving conditions!). Climbing ghats with a full load of passengers is childs play for the
truck.

The ground clearance and ability to take on abuse has seen us take the Scorp to various off-the-road places - small water crossings and through estates sans roads. It helps to get away from the usual maddening city crowds and noise.

The major downside that i can think of has been the quality of fit and finish of interior plastics. My Ikon came with much better rattle free plastics, despite 6 years of usage. On the Scorpio, the plastic covering for the speedo rattles at certain RPMs, which is still an addressable issue. However, there is a newfound rattle emanating from somewhere in the dashboard which has gotten on my nerves. The lid for the glove compartment requires an expertise of its own to shut it at the first attempt, although my 3 year old was able to get it right with just one kick!

Despite these, i now find it rather difficult if i have to take the Ikon around - everything just feels so compact and tight. I have become accustomed to the vibrating gear lever, the body roll and whatever quirks it came with.

Looking foward to the drive, as the journey continues....
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2012, 14:18   #158
Senior - BHPian

Re: One year of ownership!

Quote:
Attachment 963507

Without me even realizing the fact, its been a year since my Scorpio joined the family. 23,000+ kms down the line, i can only look back with happiness at the journey so far.
Congrats to you and the Scorp on the 1st anniversary, Benny! I can echo your feelings totally - in spite of its shortcomings, it's one vehicle that grows on you. Btw, you've certainly justified buying a diesel vehicle - 23k kms in one year! I certainly need to learn a thing or two from you.

Wish you many more happy years and miles in your beast!

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 30th July 2012, 20:10   #159
BHPian

Re: One year of ownership!

Quote:
Attachment 963507It's taken us to innumerable places, and all the while maintained its charm as it goes about its daily duties, which include all the trips to the neighbourhood supermarket for groceries, and also as it cruised along the highways as we made our way from one journey to another.
Hi Benny...Congrats on the anniversary. Wishing you many more miles of happy ownership and journies.

Not to forget, in this one year, your Scorpio has also helped lot of people (including me) while deciding on buying Scorpio, variant etc etc.

Keep up the good work of updating frequently. Your thread is real motivation for me also to keep my thread updated. Shall try and do my best.

And, even my 4 year old daughter is expert from day 1 in closing the most puzzled glovebox
Old 4th September 2012, 21:52   #160
BHPian

CONGRATS man on compelting a year with your SCORP.
I had the shock of my life when mine had a flat rear tyre yesterday on the Xpress way (its just done 7.5K) and that too on fairly good roads.
Old 13th October 2012, 17:40   #161
BHPian

Beauty of a scorpio is that once you get used to all it does including the bodyroll and rattles you will find even much more comfortable vehicles to be uncomfortable, even today i miss my Scorpio
rajeshchand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2012, 13:28   #162
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Congrats to you and the Scorp on the 1st anniversary, Benny! I can echo your feelings totally - in spite of its shortcomings, it's one vehicle that grows on you. Btw, you've certainly justified buying a diesel vehicle - 23k kms in one year! I certainly need to learn a thing or two from you.

Wish you many more happy years and miles in your beast!

Cheers,
Vikram
Thanks Vikram. My residence is now farther away from office than it used to be earlier, so the in-city driving too is much more ever since i bought the Scorpio. It certainly has grown on me, for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharathScorp View Post
Hi Benny...Congrats on the anniversary. Wishing you many more miles of happy ownership and journies.

Not to forget, in this one year, your Scorpio has also helped lot of people (including me) while deciding on buying Scorpio, variant etc etc.

Keep up the good work of updating frequently. Your thread is real motivation for me also to keep my thread updated. Shall try and do my best.

And, even my 4 year old daughter is expert from day 1 in closing the most puzzled glovebox
Thanks Sharath. Glad to know i was of help in helping you decide on your vehicle. Do keep updating regularly as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADI_77 View Post
CONGRATS man on compelting a year with your SCORP.
I had the shock of my life when mine had a flat rear tyre yesterday on the Xpress way (its just done 7.5K) and that too on fairly good roads.
What tyres did your vehicle come with? I hope they aren't the JKs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshchand View Post
Beauty of a scorpio is that once you get used to all it does including the bodyroll and rattles you will find even much more comfortable vehicles to be uncomfortable, even today i miss my Scorpio
How true! I can never think of replacing this with the Innova - despite all the rattles.

That said, during the last service at 25k kms, Sireesh Auto was able to rectify the irritating dashboard rattle. Somehow i have not got around to updating the service details on the thread. :(

Meanwhile, i just got back from another Kerala trip. I absolutely enjoyed driving this on the Dindigul-Theni stretch where road widening work is going on. While i would have been cursing on a sedan, the Scorpio made light work of the road conditions. This was the first time we carried so much of luggage while on the trip.

A pic clicked on the way to Kambammettu.

Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : Scorpio finds a new home!-img_6763-copy-copy-copy.jpg
Old 30th October 2012, 21:20   #163
BHPian

Quote:
What tyres did your vehicle come with? I hope they aren't the JKs.
it has Apollo HAWKZ R16
Old 30th October 2012, 22:54   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice, vivid account bensb of the Scorpio, upon completion of its first year on the road. I too feel that the engine is the best part of the whole machine and is extremely responsive to our needs at whatever speed, be it cruising and maneuvering on highways and expressways, overtaking, going into the crowded city hustle, bustle and so on.The rear suspension scores over the older versions and has virtually no complaints at least from me. The plastics inside and even outside are cheap and can cause quite some niggles.
Overall, the SUV is tough for every kind of road or no road and the best part is that the spares are nearly all Indian and priced affordably. All these are the USP of the Scorpio, that have helped it retain its place as a best seller in the market.
We also miss ABS,airbags and the important rear windscreen wiper on the LX version. M&M could have provided these payable options to buyers of all versions. It could have made money and could have sold safer vehicles to its customers.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 30th October 2012 at 22:57.
Old 30th October 2012, 23:12   #165
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations!!

I too have begun to like the Scorpio. And in this shade it looks real nice.

Benny, your Car desperately needs a nice set of alloys. Have a look here (shot @ Sikkim, a random Car)

Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : Scorpio finds a new home!-img_0061.jpg

Agree with Anjan on customizing one's options. The rear wash-wipe & ABS is a must have. So are the air-bags. Other gadgetry not so.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks