Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2011, 00:06   #1
BHPian

My Fiat Linea MJD EDIT: 365 days completed, 36000 kms driven

Background

After being an avid fan of Autocar and Team-BHP, the time had come for me to choose a new car. We had an aging Cielo that needed replacement.

My mind immediately wanted me to buy the Fiat Linea. I fell in love with the Linea while reading a comparison of Linea t-jet with its competitors in Autocar. That color just got me hooked on the Linea. It was Tuscan Wine of course.
Pretty soon we headed to the nearest Tata-Fiat Showroom to have a closer look at the car.

Booking Experience

We visited Prerana Motors to test drive the vehicle. Unfortunately they only had the dynamic variant while we were looking for Emotion Pack. That was the beginning of my disappointments with that dealer.

I was a bit disappointed with that demo vehicle as it was in a very shabby condition but still pursued our negotiations. Got a fantastic price of 9.78 lakhs on road for the Linea MJD in Tuscan Wine color after exchange of old car and all other discounts.

Delivery Process

Weirdly, the day before delivery I had to call the representative to remind him that my car is to be delivered tomorrow. Such was the carelessness of those guys at the dealership.

Finally on the D-Day my mom and me were at the dealership at 5:30 pm waiting. First, I was told that the vehicle is coming from their Peenya yard so it might take another 20 min. Later they say that its at a 3M detailing shop so it might take another 1hr. So we waited for another 1hr still not losing my cool.Then at 7:00 pm, when the other staff at the dealership were packing, I get a dreaded message from my sales representative. It was " Sir, is it ok if I deliver the car tomorrow ?". I got the shock of my life and gave him a piece of my mind and was adamant that since today is an auspicious day, I better get the vehicle today at any cost !

Finally, several calls later they say that they'll deliver the car to my home. And yes, that was how I got my car delivered at 8:45pm pitch dark(there was a power outage) and driven by a guy who usually drives tata ace and winger

Driving Impressions

Anyways, enough of the stupid dealer and let me focus on the car. I mean what a car it is. I was absolutely blown away by the car and each and every aspect of the car impressed us.

Firstly with the looks. What elegance and what grace it possesses. Unmatched by any of its competitors. Those headlights, nose, mirrors everything. There just isn't a bad angle to look at in this car.

The features list just goes on and on. Everything you need, nothing unnecessary. Everyone were extremely happy ( some envious of course ) about that brilliant Blue and Me feature .My only wish if it could incorporate ADAP (stream music from phone to car speakers ).

About the engine, well since it was new it sounded a bit gruff and I was too scared of pushing the car during the break-in period. The FE wasn't great as it gave a dismal 15kmpl on a highway run.

Here are some pictures of the car.

The delivery day at the temple.
My Fiat Linea MJD  EDIT: 365 days completed, 36000 kms driven-img_6409.jpg

Some random shots near hosur
My Fiat Linea MJD  EDIT: 365 days completed, 36000 kms driven-img_6501.jpg

My Fiat Linea MJD  EDIT: 365 days completed, 36000 kms driven-img_6766.jpg

My Fiat Linea MJD  EDIT: 365 days completed, 36000 kms driven-img_6483.jpg

My Fiat Linea MJD  EDIT: 365 days completed, 36000 kms driven-img_6446.jpg

My Fiat Linea MJD  EDIT: 365 days completed, 36000 kms driven-img_6475.jpg

Got this Parking Sensor fitted at the dealership. Cost Rs 2500
My Fiat Linea MJD  EDIT: 365 days completed, 36000 kms driven-img_6480.jpg

My Fiat Linea MJD  EDIT: 365 days completed, 36000 kms driven-img_6557.jpg

My Fiat Linea MJD  EDIT: 365 days completed, 36000 kms driven-img_6815.jpg

So what do I like about the car
  • Excellent looks and value for money
  • Fuel Efficiency
  • Excellent ride quality and equipment on board

Things that I crib about
  • Dealership experience wasn't good at all (not the car's fault though)
  • Little short on rear head room at the rear
  • Ground Clearance is an issue
  • NVH seems to be on the higher side

Overall Impression

Excellent in one word. Its been over 4 months and 9500km of owning this car and its been pure bliss owning this car. Had been to shirdi, rameshwaram and endless trips to udupi but never skipped a beat. What a masterpiece Fiat has created !
rohittunga is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2011, 06:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: My Fiat Linea MJD EDIT: 365 days completed, 36000 kms driven

Let me the first one to congratulate you rohittunga. The superb looks, the stunning color and the photos of the car that you have taken are all nice. I especially love the last pic in which the Linea looks aggressive and all set to pounce.

Forget about the Fiat dealerships, they are mostly pathetic throughout the country. Just enjoy the car, it will give you happy, trouble-free miles for years.
arvi86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2011, 08:06   #3
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohittunga View Post
Excellent in one word. Its been over 4 months and 9500km of owning this car and its been pure bliss owning this car. Had been to shirdi, rameshwaram and endless trips to udupi but never skipped a beat. What a masterpiece Fiat has created !
That's the problem with FIAT Linea. You will do more and more long trips to new destinations because of its superb ride and handling qualities. Congratulations and best wishes, rohittunga, for having become a owner of a lovely Linea.
  (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2011, 09:22   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats rohit for the MJD. Looks awesome in that shade (probably its the most popular one?).

Hope the delightful experience continues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohittunga View Post
Dealership experience wasn't good at all (not the car's fault though)
That's the irony of it. Some of the best cars marred by the horrendous dealers.
Old 30th July 2011, 09:25   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
Let me the first one to congratulate you rohittunga. The superb looks, the stunning color and the photos of the car that you have taken are all nice. I especially love the last pic in which the Linea looks aggressive and all set to pounce.

Forget about the Fiat dealerships, they are mostly pathetic throughout the country. Just enjoy the car, it will give you happy, trouble-free miles for years.
Thank you Arvi. You're right the car is just so good that it sort of eclipses everything else. Also thank Fiat for keeping the service intervals at 15000km so that visits to the service centers are kept at a bare minimum
Old 30th July 2011, 09:43   #6
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new drive Rohit.

Linea is a wonderful car, handsome and well built. The TATA - Fiat Fiasco and the bad A.S.S is keeping me away from this car. Imagine, if Hyundai had such a car, they would be churning out incredible volumes.
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2011, 09:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

Have always liked the looks of the Linea. It's really different from the crowd and stands out. Worrying point was always going to be the after sales service.
But like you mentioned. Thank you Fiat for keeping the service interval at 15K km.
That should reduce seeing the after sales folks by a good margin.
also speaks about Fiat's confidence in the product.
Have heard a lot about the ride and handling of the Linea. and that it's a joy to drive.
The fuel efficiency should improve after an oil change.
Wishing you many miles of joyful motoring with your Italian Beauty!
Drive Safe!
Old 30th July 2011, 10:41   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the MJD Linea. Tucsan wine is a lovely color. Seems Lineas sell more in this color.

Enjoy many more happy miles with the MJD.
Old 30th July 2011, 11:27   #9
Team-BHP Support

Just yesterday I was watching the comparison reviews from Autocar, and my thought was ‘how young the Linea looks, even in company of the newer cars like the Fiesta and Verna’. No funky lines, just pure elegance.

Congratulations Rohit!!! Keep updating the thread with your experiences with the Linea.

Happy Highways!
Old 30th July 2011, 12:48   #10
BANNED

Hey Congrats buddy! She looks gorgeous.

Hope you have a trouble-free life with the Linea. In case of issues do let us know as we have the best solutions for you.

Hope to see you in the future FIAT meets in Bengaluru.
Old 30th July 2011, 13:17   #11
Team-BHP Support

Lovely car, congratulations!
I regularly sit in this Car and keep locking & unlocking the door in the garage or showroom & people think I am weird
Old 30th July 2011, 14:21   #12
BHPian

In one of the pictures I see a hammock hanging in front your car. I'm sure you have spent countless starry nights staring at this beauty from this vantage point. This is one car that never ceases to bang the chord in my heart. Congrats rohittunga!

I hope Fiat drastically improves their approach to customers. Keep updating the thread and happy revving mate!
Old 30th July 2011, 14:27   #13
BANNED

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 31st July 2011 at 16:53.
Live To Jive is offline   Received Infraction
Old 30th July 2011, 15:32   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Lovely car, congratulations!
I regularly sit in this Car and keep locking & unlocking the door in the garage or showroom & people think I am weird
I used to do exactly the same thing when I visited the dealership. Just listening to that satisfying thud from the doors. Even had the sales rep come up to me once and asked whether anything was wrong with the doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Just yesterday I was watching the comparison reviews from Autocar, and my thought was ‘how young the Linea looks, even in company of the newer cars like the Fiesta and Verna’. No funky lines, just pure elegance.

Congratulations Rohit!!! Keep updating the thread with your experiences with the Linea.

Happy Highways!
Couldn't agree with you more. Snazzy styling does age very quickly (those Christmas tree type rear lights for eg.). It will be popular for a brief amount of time. However those clean, elegant and beautiful lines of the Linea will be remembered for a long long time to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Congrats on the MJD Linea. Tucsan wine is a lovely color. Seems Lineas sell more in this color.

Enjoy many more happy miles with the MJD.
Indeed Tuscan Wine is really a good color which is why most manufacturers are now having a similar shade in their portfolio. And our Tata goes one step ahead. Their manza also has a shade similar to that of Tuscan Wine and have blatantly called it "TYRIAN WINE". How desperate is that !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Have always liked the looks of the Linea. It's really different from the crowd and stands out. Worrying point was always going to be the after sales service.
But like you mentioned. Thank you Fiat for keeping the service interval at 15K km.
That should reduce seeing the after sales folks by a good margin.
also speaks about Fiat's confidence in the product.
Have heard a lot about the ride and handling of the Linea. and that it's a joy to drive.
The fuel efficiency should improve after an oil change.
Wishing you many miles of joyful motoring with your Italian Beauty!
Drive Safe!
Thank for your warm comments.You're absolutely right the Linea does stand out from a crowd. The exclusivity factor is also attached with the Linea.
About the FE, well after 9500km it has pretty much settled down to a respectable 14kmpl in city and an excellent 22+ on highways.

Last edited by Jaggu : 30th July 2011 at 15:56. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks
Old 30th July 2011, 15:53   #15
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations on your new Linea! The tuscan wine is truly a unique color, looks absolutely smashing Wish you many many years of happy and safe driving!

Surprised to hear that Prerana motors was so bad in service. I got my t-jet from there (Sarjapur ORR branch) earlier this month and I found the Prerana experience to be even better than my Maruti purchase experience when I bought a Swift a few years ago.

Last edited by KarthikK : 30th July 2011 at 15:55.

Most Viewed