Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2011, 11:12   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Battle of the Unequals : Skoda Yeti vs. Honda Civic (10,000 km driven)

Hi All,
One slight correction to the Yeti Torque specs : the torque is 320 Nm from 1750-2500 rpm (just verified with the brochure specs).
Also, for the benefit of others , sharing the engine specs of some of the other engine variants that we may see in future in India (most likely 1.6 TDI, 170 PS TDI 4x4) The current one on offer is the 140 TDI 4x4 DPF.
(Source: Skoda UK brochure).
Attached Thumbnails
Battle of the Unequals : Skoda Yeti vs. Honda Civic (10,000 km driven)-engines.jpg  

Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2011, 12:22   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo View Post
Great thread, rated 5 Stars. A very apt comparison too, as a lot of sedan owners would be looking for a laura/yeti sized upgrade, and its quite useful to have an SUV/SUV type vehicle along with a sedan as it brings flexibility.

Though I`m still not sure about Skoda A.S.S. Do elaborate on the Skoda Shield and how it works, how much it costs etc.

OT : As someone else said, dragging with your wife is quite cool. I sent the link to a friend who`s getting married soon and is worried about marriage being the end of "life" to show him that all isnt bad!
Thanks Evo!
Skoda A.S.S is definitely a bone of contention that every single buyer has to think about ten times before they take the plunge! However, over the past 2 years, the experience is improving and Skoda is trying to build confidence by things like the Skoda Shield. The Skoda Shield is essentially a 2 year extended warranty over the standard 2 year warranty that you get. So with the Skoda Shield, you get 2+2 warranty (100,000 kms IIRC) warranty on your car. Additional cost that I had incurred for this was around 18k, but as it is clubbed with the first year insurance and 1 year roadside support, I paid around 68K for all three together for my Yeti. (this includes a Zero-Dep Policy in the first year). In subsequent years, you can take the policy from any other insurer.

Maybe you can tell your friend that marriage isn't the end of life, it is a new beginning - when you have to do is undo everything you have learnt and done and start from scratch again!

(When we were kids we were bold and reckless, now our kids show us what it means to be bold and reckless!) That is the next stage!
Old 4th August 2011, 13:01   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Wonderful thread, enjoyed reading it. The Civic and Yeti were on my radar when I was shopping for a car to upgrade from my Corolla this year. Eventually opted for the Laura TSI. Both are fantastic vehicles to have in your garage, as you car enjoy the beauty of both worlds depending on your mood. Refined petrol + hitech diesel, low slung sedan + high set SUV, high revving petrol + low end grunt of a powerful diesel, slick Japanese + tough Eourpean, hassle free AT + driver involvement in an MT.... the list is endless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Yes, you have a sharp eye! I did swap the front and rear headrests for two reasons: The back headrests give slightly better support to the neck as they are more forward than the normal ones (however, they are not active head restraints) and the second being is that for passengers sitting in the back the view is better if the front headrests are smaller. With the normal ones, it completely blocks the front view for the rear passengers!
I don't think that's a good idea as the head restraints are part of your car's safety equipment and are there to prevent whiplash injuries. They are designed to a particular shape based on the posture of occupants, which I believe is different in the front and the back.
Old 4th August 2011, 14:18   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Wonderful thread, enjoyed reading it. The Civic and Yeti were on my radar when I was shopping for a car to upgrade from my Corolla this year. Eventually opted for the Laura TSI. Both are fantastic vehicles to have in your garage, as you car enjoy the beauty of both worlds depending on your mood. Refined petrol + hitech diesel, low slung sedan + high set SUV, high revving petrol + low end grunt of a powerful diesel, slick Japanese + tough Eourpean, hassle free AT + driver involvement in an MT.... the list is endless

I don't think that's a good idea as the head restraints are part of your car's safety equipment and are there to prevent whiplash injuries. They are designed to a particular shape based on the posture of occupants, which I believe is different in the front and the back.
Thanks Santosh! Enjoy your ride too. The Laura is also a wonderful car and a thrill to drive!
Recommendation taken, I will swap the headrests back (I was just experimenting for a few days). The front headrests in the Yeti / Laura also contain the active head restraint system (means they extend forward automatically in the event of a rear-end collision , while the rear headrests do not).
Old 4th August 2011, 15:48   #35
Senior - BHPian

Thoroughly enjoyed your comparo.
I can clearly see how the Yeti takes over in so many aspects.
It's only one major grouse being the rear seat suited only for 2.
Wishing you many more economical and joyful miles with your behemoth.
Drive Safe!
Old 4th August 2011, 16:04   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Thoroughly enjoyed your comparo.
I can clearly see how the Yeti takes over in so many aspects.
It's only one major grouse being the rear seat suited only for 2.
Wishing you many more economical and joyful miles with your behemoth.
Drive Safe!
Thanks mdsaab!
Yes, the Yeti is best for 4 and squeezing in 5 people becomes a tight jam with the middle passenger straddling the hump, coupled with the Freezer effect!
In the new variants (cheaper), it is possible they will remove the rear vents too, so leg room may be better!
Old 4th August 2011, 16:16   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
In the new variants (cheaper), it is possible they will remove the rear vents too, so leg room may be better!
Hi Behemoth,
Doubtful about that as there has to be a draft of air for the II row passengers - and that too in a premium vehicle like Yeti.

And in any case Skoda should market the GF - G Freezer as a feature -some kind of ayurvedic/blast freeze treatment point !
Old 4th August 2011, 17:12   #38
Senior - BHPian

@Behemoth - Superb comparison and a fabulous black Yeti This would be of immense help for people with the moolah and wanting to decide between a sedan and a SUV.

So when is the Leh trip planned now?
Old 4th August 2011, 17:17   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi Behemoth,
Doubtful about that as there has to be a draft of air for the II row passengers - and that too in a premium vehicle like Yeti.

And in any case Skoda should market the GF - G Freezer as a feature -some kind of ayurvedic/blast freeze treatment point !
Guderian, Hilarious as always.
I think the Yeti already has a very long list of features, however adding this one more can't hurt. right!?!
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2011, 17:24   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
@Behemoth - Superb comparison and a fabulous black Yeti This would be of immense help for people with the moolah and wanting to decide between a sedan and a SUV.

So when is the Leh trip planned now?
Thanks amitwlele! Leh trip is still not decided yet due to internal parliamentary dispute with the home minister (wife!) looks like we might end up going to the seaside instead! As usual the stronger gender prevails...

Last edited by Behemoth : 4th August 2011 at 17:40.
Old 4th August 2011, 17:38   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Petrol tank is placed below the rear seat in both the cars (City and Civic). The shallowness in the Civic's trunk probably arises due deliberate design which helps to accentuate Civic's unmatched exterior form. I am hoping that mdsaab's upcoming comparo will help us to understand this enigma somewhat.
I know for sure that the previous generation City had the petrol tank bellow driver's seat and that's how they could manage such huge boot space. Another advantage was, there was empty space bellow the rear seats (to keep small items or even fold the legs back). I was under the impression that the same configuration has been carried out to the current generation.
Old 4th August 2011, 17:39   #42
BHPian

I will not repeat eloquence for your comparison, as it has already been done numerous times.

I will like to congratulate you for the concept. It was a brilliant compare between two totally different beasts.

Guess what hooked me onto this piece though... both these beauties are on my DROOL list.

Thanks.
sandip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2011, 17:55   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I know for sure that the previous generation City had the petrol tank bellow driver's seat and that's how they could manage such huge boot space. Another advantage was, there was empty space bellow the rear seats (to keep small items or even fold the legs back). I was under the impression that the same configuration has been carried out to the current generation.
It certainly has the ANHC also has the fuel tank placed up front.
This liberates some space under the rear seats, good for storing a few small knick knacks.
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2011, 08:49   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Re clutch and stalls. Having driven Yeti over last five weekends at the Yeti road show, and numerous stalls when I first slip in behind wheels every Saturday, all I can say is that I think the flywheel is really light. So you have to slip in the clutch a bit more slowly than you would with other cars. However once let out the car will happily trundle along at idle in first gear even up slight inclines. Lighter flywheel also translates in to responsive engine.

Nice comparison.
Old 5th August 2011, 08:59   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Re clutch and stalls. Having driven Yeti over last five weekends at the Yeti road show, and numerous stalls when I first slip in behind wheels every Saturday, all I can say is that I think the flywheel is really light. So you have to slip in the clutch a bit more slowly than you would with other cars. However once let out the car will happily trundle along at idle in first gear even up slight inclines. Lighter flywheel also translates in to responsive engine.

Nice comparison.
Thanks Sudev!
The engine rpm and stalling is certainly something that takes getting used to! Almost all across the world people have faced similar experience and learning curve with the Yeti. Skoda has probably kept the idle rpms lower than usual to save fuel at idling. In Europe, emissions and fuel saving are top priority and companies have to make a lot of changes to reduce the pollution. In the Yeti in Europe, there is a Greenline version with 1.6 TDI, which is supposed to be very efficient (119 g/km , which is very low, even for a car). They have implemented stop/ start, regenerative braking , lower aerodynamic profile etc.

Your GV is also a great car and I have also been following your travelogues. I wish that it were available with a diesel and at a CKD price! It would certainly make a great competitor for the Yeti and with Maruti's brand on it, a certain winner!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks