Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2011, 08:03   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Battle of the Unequals : Skoda Yeti vs. Honda Civic (10,000 km driven)

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Not sure about the Petrol version but the Laura TDI comes with considerably taller gearing compared to the Yeti. Both TDI and TSI MT(Laura, Yeti, Jetta, Passat...) cars have the stalling issue, it takes some getting used to as these cars are not as forgiving when you try to release the clutch with zero/ very little accelerator input. I believe it's the clutch's calibration that is responsible for this.
Last few weeks I have been experimenting with this issue. Actually even with vehicle at idle you can release the clutch and it will continue to roll. But you have to do it gently. Yesterday we moved to second and then third gear too without using the accelerator and it continued to move along and snake through the "town chicane" test.
Old 8th August 2011, 08:44   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Last few weeks I have been experimenting with this issue. Actually even with vehicle at idle you can release the clutch and it will continue to roll. But you have to do it gently. Yesterday we moved to second and then third gear too without using the accelerator and it continued to move along and snake through the "town chicane" test.
That's right Sudev. When the clutch is released carefully - and that's the key - even Yeti would happily start off in first gear without any throttle input, and go all the way to third gear.
Old 8th August 2011, 16:24   #63
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Re: Battle of the Unequals : Yeti vs. Civic (10,000 km driven)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
version),
Did you take any time getting accustomed to the Yeti requiring higher revvs when moving off from 0 kph? All of us on the review drive (supposedly *expert* drivers ) stalled it...not once, but innumerable times.
This happened to me in Skoda Laura. Is this a feature of Skoda family or am I an expert driver .
Old 8th August 2011, 17:15   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
This happened to me in Skoda Laura. Is this a feature of Skoda family or am I an expert driver .
Experts deal with a variety of cars, and one off model with its peculiarities could well fox the best of them. Yeti is unusual. So are other Skoda diesels. I understand from my friends that this is also the case with Volkswagen cars.

Then, may be you are a natural driver, sensitive to small feedbacks and one who is very adaptive. Either way you an expert.
Old 8th August 2011, 17:59   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Same here .. would kill for that Beautiful silver Fortuner of yours!!
Hi Behemoth,
These killings have to stop. After all we are on TBHP as drivers not butchers.....!

Now coming to that plastic cladding and bumper - what I suggest you try is - once a month rub it with that dashboard plastic polish called Motomax from Pidilite. I picked up couple of bottles from Reliance and found it good for rough plastics of the Scorpio.

Now I need to do it on the Admiral too. Where ? There is a teeny weeny offending bit of black plastic, which on the first day looked like this:
Battle of the Unequals : Skoda Yeti vs. Honda Civic (10,000 km driven)-dsc06290.jpg

And now like this:
Battle of the Unequals : Skoda Yeti vs. Honda Civic (10,000 km driven)-dsc08481.jpg

Certainly needs some attention eh ?
Old 8th August 2011, 20:38   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Aye aye General. Offer of truce accepted unconditionally! Will try to trace this product here in Gurgaon. Seems very effective and the Admiral is looking good. It must really take a lot of effort to keep it so clean, Mumbai is sure getting a lot rains these days!
Regards,
Behemoth
Old 8th August 2011, 20:47   #67
Senior - BHPian

@Guderian - Couldn't get it General sahab. The colour of the Black plastic has gone totally grey. Is it good or bad? Did the polish make the black plastic fade?
Old 8th August 2011, 23:19   #68
BHPian

Great thread. Good to hear all the Yeti owners on TBHP are thoroughly enjoying this genius. Happy motoring!

Quote:

The Yeti's music system is leagues ahead of the Civic's. This is in the Swing system in my Ambiente (lower version). The Elegance trim of the Yeti has an even better Columbus system.
The elegance has the Bolero ICE that has touchscreen and other bells and whistles. The Columbus though would have been great because that has navigation and bluetooth.
GloryManUnited is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2011, 10:04   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
@Guderian - Couldn't get it General sahab. The colour of the Black plastic has gone totally grey. Is it good or bad? Did the polish make the black plastic fade?
Hi dkaile,
The first picture is the one that the bumper should look like.
The second one like how it looks now. Very lousy indeed. Greyish as you put it.

I haven't tried the product yet on the bumper - but it was great on some of the plastics of my Scorpio.

Need to get the bumper looking spiffy again !

Quote:
Aye aye General. Offer of truce accepted unconditionally!
Regards,
Behemoth
Hi Behemoth,
Truce ?!! I thought you surrendered unconditionally with men and war material ?
Anyway doesn't matter now since we have withdrawn from the battlefield !

Last edited by Guderian : 9th August 2011 at 10:20.
Old 9th August 2011, 10:50   #70
Senior - BHPian

I have had this fading plastic issue on the Matiz.
I have not been able to do anything to get rid of it.
When you wipe it with a damp cloth it shines black but when it dries up.
it's back to greyish again.
Do post the results Guderian, so that i too can restore the Matiz bumper strip to it's former glory.
Old 9th August 2011, 11:02   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
I have had this fading plastic issue on the Matiz.
I have not been able to do anything to get rid of it.
When you wipe it with a damp cloth it shines black but when it dries up.
it's back to greyish again.
Do post the results Guderian, so that i too can restore the Matiz bumper strip to it's former glory.
Hi mdsaab,
Will certainly posts the results. But the activity will be taken up in about 2-3 weeks time.
Meanwhile if Behemoth is attempting it - do post the outcome.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2011, 13:04   #72
Senior - BHPian

Now this is really funny ! Received an SMS from JMD (dealers for Skoda in Thane). The first contact they have made (though through a mass SMS) after I walked out of their showroom in a huff in Jan this year (details in my thread on Admiral Togo) & I quote - verbatim:

"Dear Sir/Mam,
Celebration price of 13.99 lakhs for Skoda 4*4 Diesel SUV, Skoda Superb and Yeti. offer for limited period T7C apply. For any query Call on Thane SHOWROOM NO: 258...0 Thank you"

Now what was this all about ?

Called up JMD. Operator put me on a perpetual hold almost before a sales exec with a horrendous put on accent (special for Yeti buyers only) and gave me the details.
For the Ambient the discount comes to Rs. 1L.
OTR - with Thane octroi- with everything thrown in is Rs 17,02,000/-.
This amount was Rs 21 L in Jan 2011 !

Just thought I'll mention it.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2011, 13:32   #73
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilBajpai View Post
Experts deal with a variety of cars, and one off model with its peculiarities could well fox the best of them. Yeti is unusual. So are other Skoda diesels. I understand from my friends that this is also the case with Volkswagen cars.

Then, may be you are a natural driver, sensitive to small feedbacks and one who is very adaptive. Either way you an expert.
Thanks. Absolutely correct.
These review guys are top professionals, can notice even very small changes, correlate with other vehicles of similar category, able to grasp things instantly and adopt to the various new brand of vehicles easily.
Old 9th August 2011, 14:30   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi mdsaab,
Will certainly posts the results. But the activity will be taken up in about 2-3 weeks time.
Meanwhile if Behemoth is attempting it - do post the outcome.
Hi Guderian, Mdsaab,
I will try to get it either tomorrow.. though don't know whether I will get time to apply it over the weekend - I am off to Kovalam for a brief holiday!
Will definitely post the result as soon as I get the chance to apply the product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Now this is really funny ! Received an SMS from JMD (dealers for Skoda in Thane). The first contact they have made (though through a mass SMS) after I walked out of their showroom in a huff in Jan this year (details in my thread on Admiral Togo) & I quote - verbatim:

"Dear Sir/Mam,
Celebration price of 13.99 lakhs for Skoda 4*4 Diesel SUV, Skoda Superb and Yeti. offer for limited period T7C apply. For any query Call on Thane SHOWROOM NO: 258...0 Thank you"

Now what was this all about ?

Called up JMD. Operator put me on a perpetual hold almost before a sales exec with a horrendous put on accent (special for Yeti buyers only) and gave me the details.
For the Ambient the discount comes to Rs. 1L.
OTR - with Thane octroi- with everything thrown in is Rs 17,02,000/-.
This amount was Rs 21 L in Jan 2011 !

Just thought I'll mention it.
Yup, the celebration offer still continues..! I have also seen the ads in the auto mags and the same prices are quoted. Over and above this, they seem to be giving corporate discount 25 K and also other freebies worth 8k or so, effectively coming to a discount of around. 1.35L on the Ambiente version. Come to think of it, if I had waited, I would have gotten my Yeti much cheaper. I had bought is for an exshowroom price of around 15.4 lacs and an on-road price of 16.7 lacs. (there is no Octroi in Gurgaon).

Though it is good for the current buyers!

Last edited by Behemoth : 9th August 2011 at 14:31.
Behemoth is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2011, 16:01   #75
Senior - BHPian

@Guderian and @Behemoth: Come on, you cant call it a truce now. Here i was, with all my hopes high, that this battle, would benefit me in some way. Either the Admiral or the mighty Black Yeti could be my prized possession .

On a serious note, Behemoth, the cars look sexy together. Absolutre drool maal. Get them next to each other and grab an oportunity for a lovely photoshoot. Rains are yet to play havoc in Gurgaon right? Make merry while the sun shines then!

@Guderian: Thanks for the tip on that plastic polish. Sure seems like a product to have.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed