Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2011, 09:47   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Battle of the Unequals : Skoda Yeti vs. Honda Civic (10,000 km driven)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
@Guderian and @Behemoth: Come on, you cant call it a truce now. Here i was, with all my hopes high, that this battle, would benefit me in some way. Either the Admiral or the mighty Black Yeti could be my prized possession .

On a serious note, Behemoth, the cars look sexy together. Absolutre drool maal. Get them next to each other and grab an oportunity for a lovely photoshoot. Rains are yet to play havoc in Gurgaon right? Make merry while the sun shines then!

@Guderian: Thanks for the tip on that plastic polish. Sure seems like a product to have.
Guderian and I have decided to call it a truce as we dare not take the risk of destroying the world with our World War 3. The weapons that we possess can cause much more destruction than anyone can imagine

Thanks for the appreciation Swanand, yes, these cars are certainly very good driver's cars and fun to drive! The weather in Gurgaon is slightly rainy these days (roads are perpetually muddy!) so it becomes difficult to keep the cars clean and photo-ready!
The bumper polish is definitely my next must have and will give it a good shine and hope that it lasts long.

Regards,
Behemoth
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2011, 18:23   #77
BHPian

Hi Behemoth,
Loved your thread. Coundn't have come across it at a better time. I own a Civic too but plan to borrow a friends Yeti for the weekend drive to Coorg. Shall post my observations on the "Battle of the Unequals" soon!
Cheers!
Old 10th August 2011, 22:50   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontoo
Hi Behemoth,
Loved your thread. Coundn't have come across it at a better time. I own a Civic too but plan to borrow a friends Yeti for the weekend drive to Coorg. Shall post my observations on the "Battle of the Unequals" soon!
Cheers!
Thanks Kontoo!
Hope you enjoy your drive! You will certainly feel a difference when you drive the Yeti. Some aspects which you may need to keep in mind when driving the Yeti:
1) The engine is happy only above 1000 rpm and below this it can stall.. So give it slight race as you leave the clutch!
2) You can feel the peak torque in the range of 1750 -2500 rpm, try to change gears on reaching 3k and you will feel a nice punch when you floor it!
3) at slow speeds you may feel the ride to be hard initally, but it settles down well above 30km/h

Looking forward to your experiences when you return.
Enjoy your drive and have a great holiday!
Old 16th August 2011, 10:18   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Everyone,
I am taking the plunge of getting a genuine Ross-Tech VCDS for my Yeti in Gurgaon , Dual K Hex + CAN type. I was wondering if there would be anyone in Gurgaon interested in Co-sharing it with me? I am looking for upto 2 more TBHP members based at Gurgaon only, who are willing to split the cost of $349 (Cost) + $69.95 (shipping) + Customs.
Anyone interested , please send me a PM.

Thanks!

Last edited by Behemoth : 16th August 2011 at 10:20.
Old 16th August 2011, 18:40   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Everyone,

A neighbouring friend of mine bought a BMW X1 recently (in black).. I just could not resist the temptation of clicking both the little monsters together!
Both the monsters in black were looking amazing together (weather was slightly rainy)
Enjoy!
Battle of the Unequals : Skoda Yeti vs. Honda Civic (10,000 km driven)-yetix1_cr.jpg
Behemoth is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th August 2011, 20:56   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi Everyone,

A neighbouring friend of mine bought a BMW X1 recently (in black).. I just could not resist the temptation of clicking both the little monsters together!
Both the monsters in black were looking amazing together (weather was slightly rainy)
Enjoy!
Attachment 593850
That's an awesome picture there. Both the beauties look amazing.
I especially love the front of the BMW X1.
However i saw the rear of a black one the other day, it doesn't look good from the back at all.
I saw a white Yeti the other day, it looked Fab in white too.
It looks good from almost any angle. I just love the quirky looks of the Yeti.
Only wish it was a little bigger in size, it would truly be menacing then.
Old 17th August 2011, 10:43   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
That's an awesome picture there. Both the beauties look amazing.
I especially love the front of the BMW X1.
However i saw the rear of a black one the other day, it doesn't look good from the back at all.
I saw a white Yeti the other day, it looked Fab in white too.
It looks good from almost any angle. I just love the quirky looks of the Yeti.
Only wish it was a little bigger in size, it would truly be menacing then.
Yes, the BMW X1 does look very good. Both these cars are Quirky by design and have simple, less attractive rear ends!
Some of the notable differences I observed when they were standing together:
1) The GC of the X1 looks much lower than the Yeti, even though on paper they are almost same
2) The X1 has a bigger front overhang, which would result in lower approach angle and limit its offroad capability
3) The bootspace is almost similar below the shelf, but as the X1's rear windshield is raked sharply, it restricts the space. Also there is no spare wheel in the X1.
4) The Transmission hump in the rear of the X1 is Huge! (almost double the size of the Yeti's) It is clearly only a 4 seater.
5) One of the headlight washers on the X1 was already broken (in 2 days) by the cleaning guy as it snagged in his cleaning cloth and broke off! My friend was very angry with the cleaner, but it makes me think whether such features are practical in India!
6) The roof of the Yeti is much higher than the X1 and results in better headroom inside
7) Seating position in the Yeti was more upright (in front as well as rear)
8) The roofrails on the X1 are very non-standard (they are solid metal rather than a rail). Roofracks on these may be available only with BMW and not in aftermarket. Yeti's are more standard (I will share a pic with a roofrack in a few days, when I go out of station with it on!)

Last edited by Behemoth : 17th August 2011 at 10:49. Reason: Added content
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2011, 12:36   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth

Yes, the BMW X1 does look very good. Both these cars are Quirky by design and have simple, less attractive rear ends!
Some of the notable differences I observed when they were standing together:
1) The GC of the X1 looks much lower than the Yeti, even though on paper they are almost same
2) The X1 has a bigger front overhang, which would result in lower approach angle and limit its offroad capability
3) The bootspace is almost similar below the shelf, but as the X1's rear windshield is raked sharply, it restricts the space. Also there is no spare wheel in the X1.
4) The Transmission hump in the rear of the X1 is Huge! (almost double the size of the Yeti's) It is clearly only a 4 seater.
5) One of the headlight washers on the X1 was already broken (in 2 days) by the cleaning guy as it snagged in his cleaning cloth and broke off! My friend was very angry with the cleaner, but it makes me think whether such features are practical in India!
6) The roof of the Yeti is much higher than the X1 and results in better headroom inside
7) Seating position in the Yeti was more upright (in front as well as rear)
8) The roofrails on the X1 are very non-standard (they are solid metal rather than a rail). Roofracks on these may be available only with BMW and not in aftermarket. Yeti's are more standard (I will share a pic with a roofrack in a few days, when I go out of station with it on!)
I.completely agree with your points.
I feel the X1 is more of an urban runabout. Whereas the Yeti can be used more for outdoors and adventure. What i would like is a comparo of the two on smooth tarmac highway. Any clue?
Old 17th August 2011, 13:12   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I completely agree with your points.
I feel the X1 is more of an urban runabout. Whereas the Yeti can be used more for outdoors and adventure. What i would like is a comparo of the two on smooth tarmac highway. Any clue?
Yes, would tend to agree that X1 is more of an urban runabout and the Yeti is equally comfortable on tarmac as well as some offroading.
The best person who can do this comparison is @.anshuman, as he has access to both Yeti and an X1! He recently also did a complete review on the X1 - maybe you can request him specially for this comparo.

Regards,
Behemoth
Old 17th August 2011, 14:01   #85
Senior - BHPian

Whenever I look at the X1, I feel surprised how its selling when we have better (used here contextually) alternatives available. Still the Sales figures speak otherwise with BMW X1 484 to Skoda Yeti's 197. Its the call of the Beemer brand (my dream too) I suppose...
Old 17th August 2011, 14:33   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Whenever I look at the X1, I feel surprised how its selling when we have better (used here contextually) alternatives available. Still the Sales figures speak otherwise with BMW X1 484 to Skoda Yeti's 197. Its the call of the Beemer brand (my dream too) I suppose...
Yes, it is definitely the brand which attracts people towards the X1. It is essentially a slightly more Sporty version of the 320D , with different body style. The true spirit which the X1 represents is that of Speed and the X1 also performs well on this aspect, though we may not be able to use it fully in India. BMW is considered as a status symbol in India and that's the reason why many people buy it, and there is no other Status-symbol car available in this form factor in this budget, hence it is having a runaway success. Other alternatives would soon be available from Audi and Mercedes and would be strong challengers.

Internationally though a lot of people compare the Yeti also with the X1, and it does perform better on many aspects.
Sharing an interesting road test of the Yeti done by Jeremy Clarkson (to be taken with a pinch of salt!)

Enjoy!

Last edited by Behemoth : 17th August 2011 at 14:46.
Old 17th August 2011, 15:53   #87
Senior - BHPian

Most definately the brand value. If it was not a BMW i guess the sales charts may have spoke differently.
It is my favourite aspirational BMW though.
When i was researching it way before the launch i saw a lot of comparisons between the X1 and Yeti.
Many had the Yeti on top especially in the off road comparisons.
Personally i like the Yeti very much too.
What i would like to see in the Yeti is...
More space in the rear.
Larger outer dimensions.
And with these enhancements the price can remain the same.
Wishful thinking indeed.
Old 17th August 2011, 16:00   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Most definately the brand value. If it was not a BMW i
What i would like to see in the Yeti is...
More space in the rear.
Larger outer dimensions.
And with these enhancements the price can remain the same.
Wishful thinking indeed.
Yes, this option is already coming and Skoda is internationally working on a Skoda Bigfoot or Maxi version which will be a seven seater and almost 60 cm longer than the existing one. This may be launched internationally in 2012, but don't know whether India will get it or not. This was one of the renderings on what it may look like (courtesy Briskoda)
Battle of the Unequals : Skoda Yeti vs. Honda Civic (10,000 km driven)-skoda_bigfoot.jpg
Old 18th August 2011, 09:49   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi All,
Many of you wanted to see the monster with a roof-rack in place. Uploading some pics taken today with the roof rack in place on my monster.
(Wifey thinks that it makes the Yeti look like a taxi and makes me take it off after every outstation road trip.. what do you think??)
(PS- Pics taken from a mobile, hence not great quality!)
Battle of the Unequals : Skoda Yeti vs. Honda Civic (10,000 km driven)-18082011213.jpg

Battle of the Unequals : Skoda Yeti vs. Honda Civic (10,000 km driven)-18082011215.jpg

Battle of the Unequals : Skoda Yeti vs. Honda Civic (10,000 km driven)-18082011216.jpg
Old 18th August 2011, 10:04   #90
Senior - BHPian

@behemoth - She is absolutely right. I had also kept a Carrier (aka Taxi) for my Qualis which I used to take off after every excursion. Havn't yet got one for my Falcon. You should do the same.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed