Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2011, 23:29   #1
BHPian

Hi All,
We are a family of four living in Pune. We never owned a car; mainly because we never required it all these years. Recently (now that its been so long we never had a car) I brought up the topic of buying a new car. I was kind of tired riding my Honda Unicorn and Honda Dio to Office/ Restaurents / Hotels or damn, even parties sometimes.
So finally Dad gave in and we decided to buy our first Car.

The Hunt:
The rising Petrol cost was a concern and in the next 2 years when, most probably, petrol touches Rs.90/litre most of the cars would retire into showcases.. So one thing was for sure that it had to be a Diesel Car. Due to this decision the choices that we had reduced.
Dad gave me a budget of Rs. 9 lakhs. And for a Diesel car under that Budget, as I said, the choices were limited. I wanted to buy a good car as well and not settle for a very small car.

So my initial choices were as follows: Swift Diesel/ Hyundai i20 Asta/ FORD Figo/ FORD Fiesta Classic/ Volkswagen Polo/ The low end new Verna Fluidic/ Skoda Fabia.

The Swift had an excruciating 7 month waiting period. Sometime I don’t understand how a company can do business when its competitors are providing a competitive product in under a month/ month and a half.

Volkswagen Polo was out of choice as there is only one Service station in Pune 18kms from where I stay. The Skoda was out of scope even in my dreams. I personally have 2 friends who are members of the hallowed “Ex-Skoda Owners Club” and very soon my neighbour, a director, will also follow suit after his company stops paying his (on an average) Rs. 30000-per-servicing-cost.

The choices finally came down to the FORD Fiesta Classic and the Hyundai i20 Asta. The Fiesta was for Rs.7,96,000 approx. and the i20 was for Rs.8,08,000 (All on-road-mid-June 2011 figures).

I realized that for the same price the i20 was offering a huge load of features. Not that the Fiesta is a bad car- it’s a great make but then we never travelled long enough to be able to do only with the boot-size of a Sedan.The only thing it brought to the table was the boot and the i20 had a decent sized boot. The Verna Fluidic low end version was in the budget but then the 9 Lakh version is really a Low-End. It has absolutely no features and it’s a 1.4L in the usual 1.6L variant range.

This is perhaps the time when I came across the Team-BHP Community. After doing a lot of reading across the community, a test drive, I decided that It would be a Hyundai i20 that will be our first car. I thank all the people who have posted reviews about these cars.

I inquired about the car in two showrooms. Kundan Hyundai and Sanjay Hyundai.
Kundan Hyundai is essentially a two – wheeler dealer (from what I came to know) who recently entered the 4-wheeler market. The showroom is small and the Sales Executive was not ready to tell me what freebies he could throw in for me.I kept him on hold and went to Sanjay Hyundai. Sanjay Hyundai is one of the oldest Automobile dealers in Pune and also the most respected fellow. The showroom is huge and the service station is also very big. The Sales Executive was friendly and was ready to talk to me about giving me a good deal. Both Showrooms matched the price though.

In the meantime the Pune Mirror (A Times of India Supplement) ran a news article-front page- about some discrepancies in a sale conducted by Kundan Hyundai. Some internet searches also didn’t yield very favorable stories. I decided to go to Sanjay Hyundai. I had choices.

I paid an advance of Rs. 25000 for booking money and told him that I would pay the rest in 15-20 days. (I got the car without Loan.)

Freebies:
The dealer was ready to give me a Cash Discount of Rs. 3000; Leather Seat covers (Beige and Brown combination); Car Body cover; Filming (Though not very dark); Floor Mats and Mud Flaps.

Though I think that I spent an extra amount of money on the Insurance. Its only after I went through some more forum discussions that I realized that I could have got a cheaper Insurance from outside. I also opted for a Third year Extended Warranty for Rs. 8500/-

The day I went to him with the Final Amount Cheque, I insisted the Sales Exec to take me to the Stockyard to show me my car. I was so thrilled on seeing it that I just couldn’t wait for the RTO clearance. 7 days waiting period was perhaps the longest wait I have ever experienced.

The Delivery:
15th July, 2011 was the D-Day.

I called the Sales Executive at Sanjay Hyundai, Pimpri Showroom and fixed a time for the car delivery.
Reached the showroom with a friend before time. The Sales Exec was ready with all the car papers. He sat down and explained every piece of Document that he gave me. The car was waiting outside with a a big garland hugging its bonnet.

The sales guy then started the "Congratulations and Celebrations" song on a customized speaker panel that the showroom had made up.. It was kinda cheesy but, Hey Whatever! It made me feel special.

I clicked few pics and then the exec clicked a pic of mine with the car (with his camera), went inside and took a printout of the same and got it set in a Glass Frame and gave it to me..!
A lady came and gave me a small bag of Chocolates! He also gave me a Rs. 1000 coupon for my 1st paid service and a small coupon for 3 litres of Diesel at a pump with which they had a tie-up.

And I drove away in full bliss..!!

First I went to the pump where I had to encash the coupon and then top up the Fuel Tank to Full.

Accessories:
I drove to the nearest accessories store here - Poona Motors, to put few accessories that I had planned.

1) 3M Teflon Coating
2) Door Visors (Jet Black)
3) “Acorn” Reverse Parking sensors
4) Grey Colour Spoiler (For which I had placed an order 3 days in advance in order to match the Dark Grey Metallic color)
5) Car Perfume
6) Thick Floor Mats
All this for Rs.11,300. He was honest and clean in his work. Finished the job in 2 hours.
The Poona Motors guy also gave me an iPod Aux cable free of charge and also 2 boxes of Tissues..!!

Break up of the items: Spoiler and Acorn Reverse Sensors cost me Rs. 2500 each; Car Perfume Cost Rs. 300, Door Visors cost me Rs. 1200. Teflon coating Rs. 3000; Thick Floor Mats- Rs.1800

I’m posting a 500km Update on my i20 Asta CRDi.

My poor Honda Unicorn of 6 years (40000kms) felt ditched, I suppose. Since the 15th of July it hasn’t run anything more than 15kms..

I’m loving my new car. Its super smooth and very responsive and am loving the feedback that it is giving. Most of my driving was restricted to City usage only with limited runs on the Mumbai-Pune Highway where I touched the 6th gear for a few seconds, if not a minute. Most of the driving has been limited to the first three gears only in this traffic filled rainy season. I touched 140kmph once on the Pimpri-Nashik Phata Cement Road stretch. After that I got afraid and brought it down. I had never driven a car that fast ever..!!

My Driving style:
A friend of mine who has been driving for a long time advised me to keep the car under 2000rpm at all costs and hence I'm trying to do the same. So most of my Gear Shifts occur when the RPM touches 2000. So till now I havent heard my Engine shout/wail for help! I also do not floor the accelerator (At least not yet). Please feel free to correct me if I’m making some mistake here. Since I’m still in the run-in period Im not ripping the engine a lot (except once or twice when the devil tried to tempt me.)

Experience:

Positives:
Engine: The 1.4L CRDi Engine does its job well and fine. It is one hell of an engine. Noiseless and smooth. The gear transmission is like hot knife on butter. At the correct rpm count the Engine shows its true colours. It leaps like a beast.

1st gear power in the CRDi is amazing. The moment the clutch is released even by, like, 3 inches, the car starts moving. Till now I haven’t felt the need to use an accelerator in the 1st gear, except for few places.

The Reverse Gear is also well made and responsive. Since 6 gears are accommodated the i20 Asta Diesel has a different gear Shift pattern for the
Reverse Gear.

Glove Box: The glove box here is huge and can accommodate a lot of things comfortably.

Seat Belt indicator: If the co-passenger/driver does not have the seat belt put on, a warning beep goes on for 100 seconds. It is irritating enough for anybody to put on the seat belt. Being a person who advocates the use of seat-belts I'm very happy with that feature. The only isue is that the beep is really loud. Loud means LOUD. So some people can get irked by this feature, but as I said, I never drive without a Seat-belt so I’m fine with it.

Inbuilt Music System: The clarity of the music system is good. The audio is crisp and there is decent Bass.. Of Course, its not like a JBL but good enough. Please note, I'm very particular about listening to the noise/horn of the vehicles outside and hence even though being a huge music buff, I usually do not play music at excessive volume. I may be making a mistake while driving and hence honking by other vehicles could help me steer to the correct direction that is why, the arrangement.

Noise Insulation: My point above leads me to highlight the i20's Noise Insulation. Absolute Silence. Even by Diesel Car standards, the noise is extremely low. Its just the slight noise of a Diesel CRDi that can be heard. Very Impressed. Many of my friends were surprised when I told them that it was a Diesel Car after we went for a drive..!!

Gear Shift Indicator: Very important Feature and has helped me to shift correctly when I Over-sped/Under-sped at a particular gear.

OVRM Mirrors: This is a blessing. At most congested Traffic signals in Pune, I fold the mirrors hence get a better margin to drive and also save the mirrors from any possible crashes. (Once at a signal I folded them and saw a girl on her Activa shell-shocked. The expression on her face seemed as if she saw technology borrowed from Space Research)

Bluetooth: I can pick up calls from the bluetooth device. Hence no need to fiddle with the phone.

USB: Getting a great iPod experience. Thanks to the aux cable I got from the accessories shop.

Day/Night Rear View Mirror: Shifting the mode to Night reduces the Glare from the cars behind considerably.

Acorn Reverse Sensor: Though this is not an inbuilt feature and I had installed it separately, I would like to take time to mention about this gadget.Its a very good device and provides accurate distance warning along with an ascending Beep tone. I have installed it above my rear view mirror.

Negatives:

AC:
The AC doesn't Chill quickly if the car has been kept idle under the sunlight for a long time. During overcast days when the weather is already cool the AC Chills the cabin immediately. But once it is baked under the sun the AC is pretty mediocre.
I usually don't try to chill it a lot anyways as my hands on the steering tend to become too cold and I feel uncomfortable. But once my Mom, Even after the AC was on after driving for 15 minutes asks me, "Didn't this car come with an AC..??"

Second Gear: This is a dead gear. I'm a little worried about it. Maybe because it’s a new car. I always have to downshift from the third to the second , only to again bring it down to the 1st. I'm worried if this could affect my Fuel Efficiency. The Second gear works well once the rpm crosses the 2000 mark. Then the car just leaps out like a Cheetah.

That is all for now friends.. Will keep posting as and when I get older with my Car..!!

Sorry if the picture quality is bad because they were all clicked from my Nokia Phone.. Haven't got the time yet to use my Camera.
Attached Thumbnails
My Beast.. My i20 Asta CRDi-08072011648.jpg  

My Beast.. My i20 Asta CRDi-16072011668.jpg  

My Beast.. My i20 Asta CRDi-16072011671.jpg  

My Beast.. My i20 Asta CRDi-16072011672.jpg  

My Beast.. My i20 Asta CRDi-16072011677.jpg  

My Beast.. My i20 Asta CRDi-30072011738-large.jpg  

My Beast.. My i20 Asta CRDi-img_3858.jpg  

My Beast.. My i20 Asta CRDi-img2011071500016.jpg  

My Beast.. My i20 Asta CRDi-16072011674.jpg  

My Beast.. My i20 Asta CRDi-08072011649.jpg  

Last edited by .anshuman : 8th August 2011 at 13:31. Reason: Posts merged to keep the pictures on top of this thread. Thanks
arrowaby is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2011, 06:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Beast.. My i20 Asta CRDi

Let me the first to congratulate you on your buy arrowaby. The i20 CRDi is one heck of a good car and that too in the Asta variant, is loaded to the gills with features. Wishing you many many miles of happy motoring. By the way, may I request you for some nice snaps of the car here?

Kudos to Sanjay Hyundai for making your delivery experience so special. The gesture of printing your photograph, framing it and giving it to you is awesome. It would have made you feel really special. And it's gestures like these that are going to bring in more customers.
arvi86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2011, 09:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your great buy - Hyundai i20.

Please do post some pics of your ride ASAP. An ownership report is incomplete without pics.

Wishing you happy and safe driving.
Old 8th August 2011, 09:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new acquisition! Wishing you many happy miles with your new found love!

Drive safe. And pics please.
Old 8th August 2011, 10:30   #5
BHPian

Nice unbiased write-up there @arrowaby! Wishing you Happy miles ahead! With all those accessories on, we would love to see some pictures! Especially the spoiler, which though seen, is not very common. Best luck and drive safe!
Old 8th August 2011, 12:11   #6
BHPian

Thanks a lot guys.. Will post pics as soon as I learn how to do it.. I'm just 3 days into this community..

Added_flavor: I wanted a very subtle and simple spoiler which would add to the get up of the car and not the jhang-pang disco types.. :-)
Also the jet black Door visors look good on my Dark Grey Colour i20.

I'll post a couple of pics soon..
Old 8th August 2011, 13:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

@arrowaby.

Congratulation on the I20. The colour looks good on the diesel beast.

I was in the same kind of dilema to choose between the I20 and the Fiesta when I was scouting for a car. Although I20 appealed to me a lot, it was Fiesta's VFM which tilted the decision towards it.

Surprisingly the AC was fantastic in I20 when I had test driven it. Also the low end torque had impressed me a lot.

I wish you many more happy mile crunching and drive safely.
Old 8th August 2011, 14:14   #8
BHPian

Clicked on top of a hill near Dehu Road- Pimpri Chinchwad (Pune)
Attached Thumbnails
My Beast.. My i20 Asta CRDi-19072011682-large.jpg  

My Beast.. My i20 Asta CRDi-19072011681-large.jpg  

Old 8th August 2011, 17:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hearty congrats arrowaby on your purchase and thanks for the details about your purchase. I had a good experience with Sanjay Hyundai too when I TDed the i20. I was hoping that you did not buy from Kothari Hyundai because they were quite pathetic.

Great pics of the drive, can you also include one of the seats/ rear seats? Have yo uinstalled seat covers or now they are available in beige OEM? (assuming the colour as seen through the glass in one pic)
For yoru cooling issues, try to get a good sunfilm installed, something like VKool/ equivalent perhaps

Also, which hill is this one near Dehu road and how does one get there?!

We guys meet up once in a while around Pune, it would be great to meet up sometime. Keep an eye on this thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...human-124.html

Last edited by selfdrive : 8th August 2011 at 17:54.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2011, 18:35   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new car. Its among the best in its segment and I feel for the equipment offered is quite value for money. But yes the AC on the i20 does have its cons, but except for a few months in summer, one hardly needs a very effective AC in Pune.
SPARKled is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2011, 18:42   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Hearty congrats arrowaby on your purchase and thanks for the details about your purchase. I had a good experience with Sanjay Hyundai too when I TDed the i20. I was hoping that you did not buy from Kothari Hyundai because they were quite pathetic.

Great pics of the drive, can you also include one of the seats/ rear seats? Have yo uinstalled seat covers or now they are available in beige OEM? (assuming the colour as seen through the glass in one pic)
For yoru cooling issues, try to get a good sunfilm installed, something like VKool/ equivalent perhaps

Also, which hill is this one near Dehu road and how does one get there?!

We guys meet up once in a while around Pune, it would be great to meet up sometime. Keep an eye on this thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...human-124.html
I went to Sanjay Hyundai and the culture was very friendly out there. Though I had to Bargain well for the freebies that I got, they were very co-operative. The sales Exec cleared every single doubt I had everytime I called him.

Not only that; I purchased the car from the Pimpri Showroom and had to go to the Shivajinagar Showroom to collect the RTO Tax receipt, the guys in that office were also very courteous and helpful. He even introduced me to their Insurance Manager in case of any doubts in future.
(PS: The SE offered to deliver it to me but since i was near their S'nagar Head Office I went there and got it myself)

I'll put up some pics soon.. Damn! I just realized that I'm hooked onto this site.. Haven't studied one word since morning..!

I haven't put up good sunfilms yet. Just the free one that I got. I thought I'll wait for the rains to pass and then go for it.. (Though when I think of it, my logic doesn't make much sense!! haha..)

Some threads recommend 3M/ Lumaar Sunfilms. How good are they? I DONT want pitch black sunfilms. I just want decent ones through which I'll be able to see well at night and low visibility as well.. Any recommendations??? Approx. Cost??

Moreover I'm NOT planning to go for sunfilm on the rear glass as I have a Defogger and the Sales Executive told me not to put any Sunfilms on the rear window..!

Dehu Road:
I stay in Pimpri so its easier for me to go to Dehu Road Area.
This hill is actually situated in a Military Area. There is an Ayyappa Temple on top of the hill and many people come there just to sit and spend some time or just to feel the rush of cold winds blowing up there. And the view , I say, is just breath-taking.. Area to park cars is pretty less.. Maybe 5-6 cars on the table-top only.
BUT
Photography is strictly prohibited there for security reasons.. I have uploaded these pics as nothing else about the area is visible.

Thanks for the "Pune Tapri" invitation.. Will keep an eye!

Cheers!
Old 8th August 2011, 21:18   #12
BHPian

@arrowaby,

Congrats mate. Really good looking car. IMHO,grey is the best colour for i20-the car looks so muscular and capable in grey.

The snap of the interior looked very refreshing-hope you will post more.

How do you find the steering response?

Drive safe and have fun. Keep updating your thread.
charthom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2011, 21:59   #13
BHPian

Okay so here it goes...
These are few pics that I clicked today.

@selfdrive: I installed these seat covers over the default ones. I bargained with the Sales Exec and got it for Free. (Though its not pure Leather for sure, but it will last me for a year/year and a half or maybe some more time.)
The seat covers are beige in colour with some brown strips. I wanted the brown strips because then they would match with the beige and brown Dashboard. The Sales Exec told that only beige is available. I made him hunt for one with some brown in it. He got me this one.

Vanity mirror is available for the Passenger seat. I have posted one pic of the same.

The water bottle holder is comfortably placed in the middle and the elbow doesn't touch it at all.In all there are 4 slots. Pretty good..!!

On the ceiling there is a circular attachment. Though I have not confirmed it in most logical sense it seems to me like a microphone for talking while receiving calls through Bluetooth. Please Confirm!

@charthom: Thanks a lot da..Grey was the colour of my choice. It had to be. My Honda Unicorn and Dio, also, are both Grey.
And God- wiling I'll get my future Lamborghini also painted in Grey!!

Now since the car is new I haven't ripped it or anything.. Have driven it with care. So can't comment on the steering feedback at high speeds. In the city the steering is amazing.. Its very light. The EPS does its wonder in the city and its a delight to manoeuvre.
Attached Thumbnails
My Beast.. My i20 Asta CRDi-08082011775-large.jpg  

My Beast.. My i20 Asta CRDi-08082011776-large.jpg  

My Beast.. My i20 Asta CRDi-08082011777-large.jpg  

My Beast.. My i20 Asta CRDi-08082011780-large.jpg  

My Beast.. My i20 Asta CRDi-08082011782-large.jpg  

My Beast.. My i20 Asta CRDi-08082011783-large.jpg  

My Beast.. My i20 Asta CRDi-08082011786-large.jpg  

My Beast.. My i20 Asta CRDi-08082011787-large.jpg  

My Beast.. My i20 Asta CRDi-08082011788-large.jpg  

My Beast.. My i20 Asta CRDi-16072011676.jpg  

Old 8th August 2011, 22:11   #14
BHPian

Congrats on buying the i20. Welcome to the Club

Go through Wildon's comprehensive thread on i20 to know some trips and tricks (If you already haven't).
The Engine like you said is just brilliant. Yeah, the downshift to first gear is very irritating but the the mid range simply nullifies all the negatives. Take it on a highway and you will simply love the way it pulls in 3rd 4th and 5th gear all the way till 160 without breaking a sweat. The turbo lag when compared to other cars in this segment is very very less. Infact, I have got so used to it that i don't notice the turbo kicking in at all (My mind has taken it for granted)

The Spoiler looks good. But isn't it expensive ?. I would have liked it more if it came with a brake light.
Wishing you many happy miles. Cheers.
Kimified is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2011, 01:27   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimified View Post
Congrats on buying the i20. Welcome to the Club

Go through Wildon's comprehensive thread on i20 to know some trips and tricks (If you already haven't).
The Engine like you said is just brilliant. Yeah, the downshift to first gear is very irritating but the the mid range simply nullifies all the negatives. Take it on a highway and you will simply love the way it pulls in 3rd 4th and 5th gear all the way till 160 without breaking a sweat. The turbo lag when compared to other cars in this segment is very very less. Infact, I have got so used to it that i don't notice the turbo kicking in at all (My mind has taken it for granted)

The Spoiler looks good. But isn't it expensive ?. I would have liked it more if it came with a brake light.
Wishing you many happy miles. Cheers.
Hi Kimified.
Thanks a lot man.. I already went through Wildon's thread.. Many times.. Long before I was even approved into this community.. Its been a great read..

As I said, I'm in love with the Engine.. Its so powerful.. I mentioned that the second gear is dead because it starts deriving power only after it touches around 1800rpm. And that precisely when I would usually shift to the 3rd gear. And as you said, the 3rd 4th and the 5th Gear are amazing. Once you shift to the 4th gear the vehicle is as quiet as a petrol car and whatever little noise it had is suddenly gone..
What are the general gear shifts you would recommend??
Note: I'm still under 1000kms on the odo!

The Spoiler cost me Rs.2500 with the paint job. I wanted a very simple one which would just add to the get-up of the car.
I had to order it 3 days in advance as only the White colour is usually available as ready piece.

I don't know whether it is expensive or cheap because ,frankly speaking, I never inquired about it anywhere else.
There is a brake light on the upper edge of the car as it is.. So didn't go with an extra one on the spoiler.. Besides in that case it would have been expensive for sure..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks