Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2011, 09:44   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Beast.. My i20 Asta CRDi

Congratulations on your purchase God bless you with sheer happiness with miles of roads getting crunched in it!

I dont think Hyundai's engines needs running in, but yes, better to be safe than sorry. Also, I havent rode any diesel till today, but isnt keeping it 2k rpm too less? I mean, for the running in, isnt 2.5k recommended?
_raVan_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2011, 10:28   #17
BHPian

Hi @arrowaby! I don't think there is any necessity to keep it under 2k rpm! On the contrary, it is advisable to drive under varying RPMs with occasional short bursts! This needs to be done so that there is uniform wear of the pistons to mate to their corresponding cylinder walls! This is true with any engine.

Also, do read about bore glazing.

Last edited by Added_flavor : 9th August 2011 at 10:37. Reason: Content addition to the post.
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2011, 10:45   #18
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on a great buy and welcome to the i20 club arrowaby! The Asta CRDI is perhaps the most VFM car this side of 10 lakhs, so congrats on picking up a real gem. I love the spoiler too how much did you get it for if you don't mind my asking?

Edit: just saw the price mentioned twice...serves me right for only drooling over the pics and not reading the whole thread!

Last edited by iliketurtles : 9th August 2011 at 10:54. Reason: Reading fail on my part!
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2011, 12:46   #19
BHPian

Thank you so much raVan, Added Flavor and iliketurtles.

I'm not very good with most technical terms.
I'll do some reading on bore glazing soon. This is the first car we have owned and I was not much of a car driver before this. But by God's grace, in a very short span I have been able to drive extremely well in tough conditions as well.. Most of it came as I bought the car during the rainy season. So driving in the rains during night time as well gave me good practice.

Usually, the moment the rpm touches 2000 I shift upwards.. So my meter hasn't crossed 3000 (or maybe little lower I don't remember well). 3000 was only this one time when I touched 140kmph in the 6th gear for few seconds on the Mumbai - Pune Old Highway and then I brought it down.

Thanks I'll now try to bring my average shifts to 2500rpm

@iliketurtles:
I wasn't that keen on a spoiler. The thought didn't cross my mind actually. Its only when, out of all the people, my mom, who suggested me to fix one ("Car ko thoda aacha get-up milta hai beta..") after remarking that our neighbour's i20 looks different than ours. He had a spoiler on his i20.

I'll post another snap, taken from the rear side, as soon as I can click a good pic.
Old 9th August 2011, 13:34   #20
BHPian

"OVRM Mirrors: This is a blessing. At most congested Traffic signals in Pune, I fold the mirrors hence get a better margin to drive and also save the mirrors from any possible crashes. (Once at a signal I folded them and saw a girl on her Activa shell-shocked. The expression on her face seemed as if she saw technology borrowed from Space Research)"

First of all many congratulations on your buy. excellent pics. and the spoiler is looking swell! i envy that Bluetooth enabled HU.

these electronically folded mirrors are superb touch but they get me afraid evertime i park on road, if i forget them to fold, someone or other who need every inch of space to park his/her car/bike will fold them manually!!. which is a strict no-no.

I wish they fold themselve after locking the car from outside with key fob.
Suess is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2011, 15:24   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suess View Post
these electronically folded mirrors are superb touch but they get me afraid evertime i park on road, if i forget them to fold, someone or other who need every inch of space to park his/her car/bike will fold them manually!!. which is a strict no-no.

I wish they fold themselve after locking the car from outside with key fob.
Hey. I have been using them for a little over 9 months now. I have seen it being folded many times by others when i park it in crowded places. But i don't think its that much of a problem. Hyundai would have known something like this is very likely to happen and they would have tested it for manual closing and opening too. Many times, My one side ORVM is open and the other closed manually, I just press and release that button, It sorts out by itself

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowaby View Post
Hi Kimified.

What are the general gear shifts you would recommend??
Note: I'm still under 1000kms on the odo!

The Spoiler cost me Rs.2500 with the paint job. I wanted a very simple one which would just add to the get-up of the car.
Like many have suggested already. 2.5k rpm is what is suggested. Just keep it below this and you should be doing good. But make sure you vary it also once in a while. Don't be bothered too much about run in, All modern engines generally don't need it AFAIK. You can still do 150kmph in 6th gear at 2.5k rpm.

2.5k for the Spoiler ? I thought it was around 6k Guess you just made me 2.5k poorer!

For more information, You can go through my thread too. Haven't updated it, Will do it sometime. But has some info on Changing HU and Arm rest if you intend to do it sometime.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...esel-asta.html
Old 9th August 2011, 16:00   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimified View Post

2.5k for the Spoiler ? I thought it was around 6k Guess you just made me 2.5k poorer!

For more information, You can go through my thread too. Haven't updated it, Will do it sometime. But has some info on Changing HU and Arm rest if you intend to do it sometime.
Yeah man. It cost me just Rs.2500 and that too from Poona Motors - The best guy in Auto Accessories in Pune. In fact I think it would be even cheaper if it was a white colour car as I also had to get a grey Paint job done.
Maybe its the model.. I didn't want a Formula 1 type disco spoiler. I just wanted a small one , like what many Toyota Innova users have. It just gives the rear end a slight jut-out..

I have already gone through your thread and it is already been bookmarked into my Mozilla..

As far as the OVRMs are concerned. I have already made it a habit to fold it everytime I get out of the car. So from my side I'm trying to do the best I can. I asked the Sales executive about its durability and he said that It is pretty tough and can handle manual force from both sides i.e. From the plastic side and also the mirror side. And as you said you just have to press the button for it to get synchonised back to its original position again.
Old 9th August 2011, 16:15   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Like many have suggested already. 2.5k rpm is what is suggested. Just keep it below this and you should be doing good. But make sure you vary it also once in a while. Don't be bothered too much about run in, All modern engines generally don't need it AFAIK. You can still do 150kmph in 6th gear at 2.5k rpm.

As long as one dont rip in first few gears (1-3), it is ok. Doing triple digits in 5/6 wont harm unless, well, you redline.
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2011, 02:20   #24
BHPian

By the way I don't know whether people know about this, but all future deliveries of the 1.4L i20 CRDi will come with a 5 gear Manual instead of the usual 6 gear Manual.

The New Fluidic Verna CRDi will come in 6 gear Manual. But i20 CRDi will now come only in a 5 gear Manual.

So all those who are on the brink of booking the car, RUSH..!!
arrowaby is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2011, 12:04   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Hey. I have been using them for a little over 9 months now. I have seen it being folded many times by others when i park it in crowded places. But i don't think its that much of a problem. Hyundai would have known something like this is very likely to happen and they would have tested it for manual closing and opening too. Many times, My one side ORVM is open and the other closed manually, I just press and release that button, It sorts out by itself
ya, it sorts out by itself but with some kit-kit sound! i guess it must have been gone through some testing. i am just concerned because it is under "Caution" in user manual(page 4-33, Features of your vehicle).

I wish people don't touch other's parked vehicles and leave some space around, so, i don't have to touch theirs. and why park so close? it is the car and because i am poor, it has a roof. i can't "jump" in like heroes do in their Cabrio!
Suess is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2011, 12:37   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some threads recommend 3M/ Lumaar Sunfilms. How good are they? I DONT want pitch black sunfilms. I just want decent ones through which I'll be able to see well at night and low visibility as well.. Any recommendations??? Approx. Cost??
I've got 3M CR-70 on the front windshield, and Llumar on the windows and rear windshield of my Scorpio. Not sure how much it would cost for a hatch, but definitely less than 10k. The shielding effect is quite good, and since the film isn't pitch black, you can make out the interiors of the car in day time too. Also, even though the vehicle is parked in the sun all day long, it doesn't take more than 5 minutes to make the cabin comfortably cool.

Congrats on your new ride and wish you a million miles of safe & happy driving!

EDIT: After your car is parked for a long time, I hope you open the windows for a minute or 2 to take in fresh air before switching on the AC [in recirculation mode]. This contributes to faster cooling too.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 10th August 2011 at 12:41.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2011, 18:09   #27
BHPian

congratulations on the new vehicle. It is indeed a beautiful car to drive. Did you consider some of the bigger diesel variants like the vento or the scorpio lx. I think they would have fallen in your 9 lac bracket as well. However the i20 crdi is an amazing car in the city and on the highway. Once your run in period is over, you should take her out on the pune mumbai expressway and stretch her legs...
prakashutosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2011, 18:33   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On the ceiling there is a circular attachment. Though I have not confirmed it in most logical sense it seems to me like a microphone for talking while receiving calls through Bluetooth. Please Confirm!
Congrats arrowaby... for joining i20 club like me I have i20 Asta, but petrol though. Thought a lot and wanted to buy a diesel, just because i was too impressed with its 1.4L engine and its amazing power, but my budget didn't allow me to stretch and also the kms i drive was not justifying to go for diesel.

Anyways,,,.. yes the circular attachment in ceiling is the microphone for BT. The SP at showroom explained about it when i took the delivery of the car 3 months ago.

Enjoy your drive with awesome i20.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2011, 12:07   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
I've got 3M CR-70 on the front windshield, and Llumar on the windows and rear windshield of my Scorpio.
EDIT: After your car is parked for a long time, I hope you open the windows for a minute or 2 to take in fresh air before switching on the AC [in recirculation mode]. This contributes to faster cooling too.

Cheers,
Vikram
Thanks for the info and your wishes Vikram. Okay opening up the windows is a good idea. Pretty simple but I never thought about it.. I'll surely make that a habit now. Thanks man..!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakashutosh View Post
congratulations on the new vehicle. It is indeed a beautiful car to drive. Did you consider some of the bigger diesel variants like the vento or the scorpio lx. I think they would have fallen in your 9 lac bracket as well. However the i20 crdi is an amazing car in the city and on the highway. Once your run in period is over, you should take her out on the pune mumbai expressway and stretch her legs...
Thanks for your wishes prakashutosh.

Vento:
This thought actually passed my mind while buying the car but I decided against for the following reasons..!!

My budget of Rs.9 lakhs was my extended budget. So in my mind I proceeded with a notional budget of Rs.8.5 lakhs. Second issue is that I brought the car on full cash. i.e. No Loan.

Vento Highline is for Rs. 10.7 lakhs while Vento Trendline is for Rs. 9.5 lakhs. The Base model doesn't have a lot of features. No ABS-EBD/ No Alloys/No Airbags/No Rear Disk Brakes and few other features also which I was getting in the i20. As a family we never undertook major journeys by road so as to buy only a sedan (and hence a bigger boot for any trips). I didnt want to buy a car just because of the looks. Of course Vento is an amazing car and has a great German Legacy.

Moreover there is only 1 Volkswagen Service station in Pune which is again 18kms from where I'm staying and then after reading the Skoda Experience everywhere (Skoda being a Volks subsidiary) I was apprehensive about its After Sales Service.

Scorpio:

Again this is a good SUV and an SUV is always what I wanted to own.
But Scorpio was never a choice(i.e. if we had to buy an SUV in the first place.. and this being our first car).
Decided against it because my Dad is an NRI and is not in India for most of the time. Mostly I'm the only one driving the car and once in a week me, brother and mom go out together.. That too rarely. So its a little difficult driving an Elephant Car in the city alone. Btw Scorpio LX is for 9lakhs and does not come with a Music system/No ABS-EBD.

If we had to buy an SUV, then would have increased the budget and gone for an Innova.

I'm almost 650 kms down and driving everywhere possible now-a-days so that I can get the Engine run-in period done quickly.. Some more time to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Congrats arrowaby... for joining i20 club like me I have i20 Asta, but petrol though. Thought a lot and wanted to buy a diesel, just because i was too impressed with its 1.4L engine and its amazing power, but my budget didn't allow me to stretch and also the kms i drive was not justifying to go for diesel.

Anyways,,,.. yes the circular attachment in ceiling is the microphone for BT. The SP at showroom explained about it when i took the delivery of the car 3 months ago.

Enjoy your drive with awesome i20.

-Ravi
Thanks a lot for the wishes and the info Ravi.. That microphone has to be appreciated . It receives the voice signals effortlessly and there is no need to shout at all.. Pretty sensitive. I had to go for a Diesel car and that was for sure. I would have waited for more If I couldn't buy immediately. The power and low end torque generated is awesome.
Old 11th August 2011, 16:29   #30
BHPian

Hey arrowaby, congrats on your buy. The most difficult thing in buying a car is - Which one?. To finally sort out all the doubts, put your priorities in the right order and go for the final push is what is the most time consuming part. So congrats for doing that and being Happy about the decision you have made.

I too have been considering owning an i 20 for a while now but one doubt that has persistently lingered in my mind is- How bad is the A.C? Is it acceptable enough that you can gloss over it, considering that I am likely to be based in one of the hottest cities in India- Chennai!

Will appreciate your inputs.

Most Viewed