Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2011, 17:58   #31
BHPian

Re: My Beast.. My i20 Asta CRDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSK22 View Post
Hey arrowaby, congrats on your buy. The most difficult thing in buying a car is - Which one?. To finally sort out all the doubts, put your priorities in the right order and go for the final push is what is the most time consuming part. So congrats for doing that and being Happy about the decision you have made.

I too have been considering owning an i 20 for a while now but one doubt that has persistently lingered in my mind is- How bad is the A.C? Is it acceptable enough that you can gloss over it, considering that I am likely to be based in one of the hottest cities in India- Chennai!

Will appreciate your inputs.
Hi JSK22
Thanks for Your wishes. Now regarding Your doubt about the i20 AC. Firstly the i20 is not a car which was ever appreciated for Its AC. The AC is not an instant chiller. The moment you switch it on it does NOT start cooling immediately. It takes some time. Some time as in, maybe around ten minutes. So if you are planning to drive to a place which is around fifteen mins drive away you wouldnt be that satisfied. Now all this is true considering that the car was lying under the hot sun and the cabin was getting baked. When the weather is gloomy/overcast skies or during the night time the AC books very fast. The AC is NOT BAD but Its just mediocre. Now again, i haven't installed good dark sunfilms yet. The free sunfilms i got from my dealer are light. From the advice i received, darker films would block the heat outside.
My verdict the AC is ok. Rather Its not bad. But at the same time Its not the best and neither even among the better ones also. Keep an all round requirement constraint while researching and not just AC. Because when you will put on the AC and drive in Chennai traffic all the time Your fuel efficiency may take a hit. So Its obvious you wouldn't use it ALL the time. Also calculate How many months of the year is it going to be hot that an AC will be indispensable to you. And as i mentioned Earlier the i20 diesel is soon going to come out with only a 5 gear model in place of the existing 6 gear. So decide quickly. The asta model has rear AC vents also.
My verdict AC is 6/10 stars. Just mediocre.
arrowaby is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2011, 01:56   #32
BHPian

Congratulations!

Good choice indeed.

Loved the pics - especially the yard pics and the one's with the rain droplets.

Indeed you are head over heels in love with your car.

Also +1 for the spoiler. Nice choice. Subtle but distinct.

Enjoy!
Dr.Suraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2011, 12:22   #33
BHPian

hey arrowaby,
Thanks for the unbiased opinion. Actually am presently not in India and not likely to return for at least another six months. So no choice there about the timeframe. So i can just hope that the six gear version is still in the market then. But any idea why it is being discontinued?
Old 12th August 2011, 13:05   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
Congratulations!

Good choice indeed.

Loved the pics - especially the yard pics and the one's with the rain droplets.

Indeed you are head over heels in love with your car.

Also +1 for the spoiler. Nice choice. Subtle but distinct.

Enjoy!
Thanks a lot for your wishes doc.. I'll surely click some better pics of the spoiler with my cam as and when I'm able to take the car to some good location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSK22 View Post
hey arrowaby,
Thanks for the unbiased opinion. Actually am presently not in India and not likely to return for at least another six months. So no choice there about the timeframe. So i can just hope that the six gear version is still in the market then. But any idea why it is being discontinued?
I have no idea about the time-frame nor do I know the reason. All I know is that the 6th gear will be discontinued and at the same time there may be a cut in the ex-showroom price, down between Rs.10000 to Rs. 20000.

Anyways it wont make much of a difference because the 6th gear comes into action only when you are driving on a straight stretch for long.. Moreover the 5th gear itself is quiet capable to pull it long and well.

Please Note: The 6 gear version is only in the Diesel Variants. The petrol comes with a 5 gear manual and also an Automatic Variant.
Old 12th August 2011, 17:23   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowaby View Post
By the way I don't know whether people know about this, but all future deliveries of the 1.4L i20 CRDi will come with a 5 gear Manual instead of the usual 6 gear Manual.

The New Fluidic Verna CRDi will come in 6 gear Manual. But i20 CRDi will now come only in a 5 gear Manual.

So all those who are on the brink of booking the car, RUSH..!!
Thanks ! I was told this today by the sales team of Hilton Hyundai ! Sad!

Congrats on the buy
Old 12th August 2011, 22:04   #36
BHPian

Congrats arrowboy for the i20. The stockyard pics are looking real good with so many of 'em together. I believe you can easily go up to 3k now.
Happy driving. How are the FE figures?
Old 13th August 2011, 23:18   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Thanks ! I was told this today by the sales team of Hilton Hyundai ! Sad!

Congrats on the buy
Thanks jkdas. I think there is a fair amount of stock lying with the dealers. At least in Pune - from the place where I got it from. I have posted a picture of the yard. So if the required colour is available then i think in the short run people should not have problems..at least for the coming few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
Congrats arrowboy for the i20. The stockyard pics are looking real good with so many of 'em together. I believe you can easily go up to 3k now.
Happy driving. How are the FE figures?
Thanks a lot for the wishes Utopian. The Pune traffic and short roads dont often let me take the car to 3000rpm. So usually I keep it at 2500 max.

I just touched 700 kms on the odo today. The car is now 28 days old. Had done a full tank on Day 1 and there is still fuel remaining in the tank. So according to my estimates and forecast, the FE should easily touch 20kmpl.

I'm quiet satisfied because I have hardly done any Long distance Highway driving. Most of the time I have been driving (luckily) in mediocre traffic in the city keeping a decent 2000rpm gear shift and some occasional 2.5k or 3.0k rpm. And all this before the first Service..!
Old 14th August 2011, 23:56   #38
BHPian

20+ figures are unbelievable.
I believe all that TLC is giving such splendid results.
Utopian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2011, 00:50   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
20+ figures are unbelievable.
I believe all that TLC is giving such splendid results.
Hi. I'm So Sorry i didn't get what you meant by "TLC". !!
Im not at all ripping the car. Try to get to the higher gears as soon as possible. And some basic instructions i got from the guys out here. There are a Lot people who are getting 20+ for diesel cars, I believe.
Old 15th August 2011, 17:03   #40
BHPian

Congrats on your new buy. I feel an i20 CRDI Asta is the best value for money car one can buy in that category. Drive safe.

From what you have mentioned about the AC, i feel the effect will be less pronounced once you install good quality sunfilms. I would recommend 3M CS20 or Llumar Steel 20 for the sides and rear. They appear dark from outside but one can easily see through the interiors of the car from up close. The inside-out visibilty is also very good. Personally I did not find any diff in a 35% vlt and 20% vlt film from the inside. For the windshield, I would recommend 3M CR70 or Llumar AIR 70. I would strongly recommend you get good films installed ASAP. You will notice the difference.
razrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2011, 21:44   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razrman View Post
Congrats on your new buy. I feel an i20 CRDI Asta is the best value for money car one can buy in that category. Drive safe.

From what you have mentioned about the AC, i feel the effect will be less pronounced once you install good quality sunfilms. I would recommend 3M CS20 or Llumar Steel 20 for the sides and rear. They appear dark from outside but one can easily see through the interiors of the car from up close. The inside-out visibilty is also very good. Personally I did not find any diff in a 35% vlt and 20% vlt film from the inside. For the windshield, I would recommend 3M CR70 or Llumar AIR 70. I would strongly recommend you get good films installed ASAP. You will notice the difference.
Thanks a lot razrman.. I wanted some help on that front.

I want to put up good films soon.

I'm not planning to put any filming on the rear glass since it is equipped with a defogger. The Sales Executive advised me to not get it filmed as the defogger heats up and it may melt the film. Now I dont know whether it is true and should I go for rear filming as well. Will it cause any problems later??

I want films which are street legal and at the same time not too light also. So will check out with a dealer about the ones you told.

Can you give me any info on the cost?
Old 15th August 2011, 23:14   #42
BHPian

Quote:

I'm not planning to put any filming on the rear glass since it is equipped with a defogger. The Sales Executive advised me to not get it filmed as the defogger heats up and it may melt the film. Now I dont know whether it is true and should I go for rear filming as well. Will it cause any problems later??

I want films which are street legal and at the same time not too light also. So will check out with a dealer about the ones you told.

Go ahead and install the rear film too. No problems with the defogger. Yes, there can be certain issues if you plan to remove/strip off the film but a good worksman would be able to do it wo problems.

The 3m CS / Llumar Steel would be in the range of 3-4k for the sides+rear.
The 3m CR / Llumar AIR for the front windshield would be another 4-5k.
Sounds a lot for sunfilms but trust me, if your AC is not that powerful, it'll be worth it.

About the legality, the law permits 50% for sides and 70% for front and rear. (I am not sure rear is 50 or 70% but its one of the two and still is very light). If the cops in your area are strict, I would advise you a 35% film which will give you sufficient darkness at the same time being transperent enough for a cop to see inside clearly. Basically, I doubt the cops would stop you for this.
razrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2011, 23:55   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Hi. I'm So Sorry i didn't get what you meant by "TLC". !!
Im not at all ripping the car. Try to get to the higher gears as soon as possible. And some basic instructions i got from the guys out here. There are a Lot people who are getting 20+ for diesel cars, I believe.
TLC stands for Tender Loving Care.
Utopian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2011, 00:25   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razrman View Post

About the legality, the law permits 50% for sides and 70% for front and rear. (I am not sure rear is 50 or 70% but its one of the two and still is very light). If the cops in your area are strict, I would advise you a 35% film which will give you sufficient darkness at the same time being transperent enough for a cop to see inside clearly. Basically, I doubt the cops would stop you for this.
Strict Cops??!! Are you sure about what you said??
Anyways I just don't want to be on the wrong side of the law and that is why my self-imposed constraints...
Thanks a lot for the info.. It was of great use to me..I'll check out 3M CR 70 and 3M CS20 as you said compare them to Llumar.
Thanks!

Last edited by arrowaby : 16th August 2011 at 00:26. Reason: Sentence Editing.
Old 16th August 2011, 16:26   #45
BHPian

Quote:

Hi arrowaby,
am sure what razrman has got to say about the sunfilms might help. But then I was wondering that aircon is much more basic than that. It's a simple mechanical system which is required to cool the automobile. Plus the fact that I haven't really heard the aircon of other cars in this segment being discussed in the same light. (or am i wrong?)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks