Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2012, 15:12   #256
Senior - BHPian

Experiencing The VVS Magnum

EXPERIENCING THE VVS MAGNUM
Service Experiences
1,000 kms
(Nothing much to report really!)

Now that we are on a new page, I'll try to put down the service experiences till now. A lot happened quite some time back, so I may not remember things precisely, but I'll try.

I think it would also be fair for me to share the relevant stuff, while keeping some details to myself, iftalking about them is not in the interest of The VVS. For anyone who thinks this is unfair, please note that a lot of people never really start ownership reports or share very little. A lot many, who just read/take in information without even being seen!

Some call this the first service. Probably Chevy too. I guess this would only be to make it simpler in terminology for the average user and also to be able to say that there are three free services and not two.

The purpose seems to be to check if there has been any goof up in the manufacturing. To get the car up on a lift, to check for any leaks. Better to catch them now, even if they are one in a few hundred, than have a new car fail and bear costs of spoiling the company's reputation.

This was really just a very basic checkup and a car wash. Took about an hour and a half, IIRC. Nothing was charged. There is nothing much to report really.

Overall the staff was courteous and professional. But not those overly-professional types, if you know what I mean. What I liked about GM A.S.S. is that semi-formal/professional demeanor.

Some companies are highly rule driven. This also often leads to a lot of rigidity in what staff can and can't do. Too many rules and too much fear of not going about things based on those. Then there are companies which are more flexible and give more space to staff, which some may see as less professional, however it may just be what the company chose.

I personally prefer that semi approach - a bit friendly, a bit flexible - to be able to check one's car once in a while, to chat up with the guy working on the car the odd time (to manage to click that odd picture ). GM seems to have that semi approach, but of course it would change from workshop to workshop, manager to manager, rapport to rapport!

In general, I also see this checkup as an opportunity to see what the workshop looks like. To get a feel of the work environment, staff approach, competence and equipment levels; to confirm if one wants to get one's car there for the first 'real' service.

Old 11th March 2012, 16:00   #257
Senior - BHPian

Service Experiences
5,000 kms service

I had no significant complaints till now. Was quite an uneventful service (which really is good ).
  • Total amount paid: IIRC about 2200/-
    As it was meant to be a free service, labour was not charged.
    Consumables, of course, were charged.
  • Work done:
    • Car washing
    • Engine Oil and Filter change
    • Asked them not to rotate the wheels or do any wheel balancing or alignment (a bit on this down below)
  • IIRC:
    • Oil + Oil filter was about Rs.1700 or so
    • Windshield washer fluid about Rs.35
    • The rest should have been taxes.
  • Oil
    • 6.5 Ltrs
    • Brought from one of those big cans from the store
    • Presumably Elf 15W40.
    • I was given a choice of using Synthetic or Mineral. Synthetic was about 6-7k. Chose mineral.
    • GM, apparently, has a tie-up with Elf and supposedly have oil specifically wells suited to their cars. Using other oil would void the engine warranty, as I was told.
    • Had in mind to have the oil changed oftener, if needed (5k?) than use Synthetic. The car anyway has to go to the A.S.S. every 5k.
  • Filter - Made in Austria! Check the pictures

Finally! “Driven!” & “Chosen a Diesel Sedan” – The VVS Magnum (Chevrolet Optra)-vvs30.jpg

The Oil Filter

Made in Austria
From GM Korea
Used in India!

One can also see the Lacetti connection, which was mentioned on page 1
Seems the same filter is also used in the Captiva

Finally! “Driven!” & “Chosen a Diesel Sedan” – The VVS Magnum (Chevrolet Optra)-vvs31.jpg

The Oil Filter
Just another view of the box

Finally! “Driven!” & “Chosen a Diesel Sedan” – The VVS Magnum (Chevrolet Optra)-vvs32.jpg

The Oil Filter
Yet another view!
I like that GM has it's customer care/complaint number and email on this box as well

(for people picking up the parts on counter sales)

Finally! “Driven!” & “Chosen a Diesel Sedan” – The VVS Magnum (Chevrolet Optra)-vvs33.jpg

Screen Wash
It lasts quite some time

Finally! “Driven!” & “Chosen a Diesel Sedan” – The VVS Magnum (Chevrolet Optra)-vvs34.jpg

Screen Wash
Economical and effective, they say
At Rs 35 which lasts quite some time, I do agree!
Yes, it is effective too.

Old 11th March 2012, 16:24   #258
Senior - BHPian

Service Experiences
Some miscellaneous chit-chat with the staff

While I was at the A.S.S. the Service centre manager was quite a friendly chap and we formed a bit of a rapport. Had some talks with him and with a few of the service guys, including the mechanics and Floor works manager. Used this opportunity to find out more about the car.

Some points from those chats.
  • Misc stuff
    • All of them were very highly appreciative of the Optra Magnum.
    • That there were no major complaints from the car in all their time with the A.S.S.
    • Casually said that they have seen major repair work being done on other cars like Cruze and Captiva oftener than on Magnums. Pointed me to examples of the same in the workshop.
  • Overall, even with a prior casual interaction with a person from GM - he was very appreciative about the car. That it was a very wise choice and a very practical car. That even the dealers themselves were unsure why such a good car doesn't sell better.
    (I guess if they studied T-Bhp, they could find some answers )
  • Engine life
    • None of them really seemed to know!
    • The only case they came across where an Optra's engine had failed, was at some 1.7L odd kms, which was a taxi and they thought it was due to improper usage.
    • Sir, Do lakh tak to tension bilkul mat lo (Sir, don't worry at all upto 2 lakhs). Beyond that, they didn't say that it didn't have life - they simply didn't know, as they hadn't had cases of engine work!
    • The mod friendly nature of the Mangum's engine seems to corroborate with this.
    • This was engine failure thing was checked with many of the staff (including the better versed ones), with similar replies. I really wouldn't say that it could have been an orchestrated story.
  • Suspension repairs - Expensive?
    • No clear answers were given.
    • General idea conveyed by 2-3 of them was:
      • Keep tyres properly inflated
      • Respect the car over very bad roads
      • The suspension should not give trouble for very very long.
        That they had not had significant complaints about the suspension.
    • If I have to take a speed breaker of other even change of road surface, I generally try that both the tyres meet it together. Simply put - keep the car straight, when you hit a speed breaker if not very slow. From what I understand, this reduces the stress on the suspension by a very big margin. Ideally, of course, take it slowly.
Just in case I recollect other such stories, I'll add to the thread later.

@Mods, I had thought that it would be over half an hour from the previous post, by the time I post this, so started a new post (for better organization also). Seems I finished earlier, but may be better to keep this separate anyway, as this is better organized.

Edit: Wanted to add the 10k experience now, but it seems it will be a bit later. Also a note on the change noted after the service and stuff on wheel alignment and balancing.

Last edited by Poitive : 11th March 2012 at 16:44. Reason: Note for mods, typos, edit note.
Poitive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 14:56   #259
BHPian

Re: Finally! “Driven!” & “Chosen a Diesel Sedan” – The VVS Magnum (Chevrolet Optra)

Hey Poitive, great to know your VVS is serving you so good. Which dealer are you taking it for service?
Old 7th September 2012, 03:02   #260

Re: Finally! “Driven!” & “Chosen a Diesel Sedan” – The VVS Magnum (Chevrolet Optra)

Hey, just stumbled upon this while searching for something on the net.

I own 2 optra magnums, one oct 2009 LT(BS 3) driven 70k kms and the other oct 2010 LS(BS4) driven 56 k kms

On the PINNED DOWN feeling;
- The BS3 car simply outperforms the BS4 car!
- I personally feel the BS4 car's exhaust is much more restrictive owing to the new exhaust filters
- The BS4 car has more linear-like torque curve(felt after 2.5k rpm) but in real world conditions, the BS3 is way quicker than the BS4(you feel the same right at 1.8-2k rpm)
- BS3 car needs much lesser gear shifts in traffic, shoots in 3rd gear even at the speed of 30-35 kph, but the BS4 needs to be above 40-45 kph to do the same.

On the LS/LT comparison with regard to ABS;
The ABS is very functional on the LT and even at speeds of 160+ the car has a very sure-footed feel to it even under extreme-braking situations.
The non-ABS LS just does not give that same level of confidence.

This is just my personal experience and personal opinions as found over using the cars for more than 1 lakh kms collectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
People just have to have an opinion! At times, it is rather amusing, when people who know nothing about a subject, will still have many things to say; often with that supreme confidence . No different for the Optra; most people barely understand/know this car well enough.

In a very selfish way, it helps for people to have this sort of an opinion, otherwise this car may have commanded a price of 12L! So in a very selfish way, it has been good for us guys

I am no expert on tuning boxes, but it seems that, a lot of tuning kits work towards reducing turbolag also. So, if and when you go for it, choose carefully.

If you are going through a graded running-in, as described earlier in the Experiencing posts, it surely is premature. The pinned down feeling which you are looking for, came by default, as there was a dip in power and then a sudden surge, if you just sat on the accelerator pedal. The torque curve was such. Now you have to just flex your right foot muscles a bit differently.

The pinned down feeling can still be achieved. Move up normally, upto 2500 rpm in second gear (or, say about, 2600-2700 in third). Stay there for a few seconds (you are roughly simulating a stop in power delivery with turbolag, and probably helping the turbo to spool up). Now do not floor the accelerator, but dip it down with urgency. You should get the pinned down feeling. I was more than impressed. It accelerates pretty hard upto about 4000-4200 rpm. More pronounced till about 3800rpm. Around the redline (4500) the power will suddenly be lost. As I understand, it is a protection mechanism built into the ECU. Of course, make sure you have adequate road conditions for it.

I would strongly suggest you to wait till your first oil change at 5k.
Old 10th September 2012, 21:56   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive

@AF mate, how is your experience with your Optra progressing? How do you find it's ride?

For those who don't know - @AF picked up his Optra without even a Test Drive!!!!!!!
Sorry about the really late reply!
Our Opty is doing great. She is being used by my dad in our native.
I get to experience her only during weekend trips to home twice a month

The odo stands at 4.5K now and it's time for the first service.

I absolutely look forward to driving the Opty every time I go home!
Love the poise, the smooth absorbent ride, the leather and should I mention, the mighty turbo kick!

My Beat would immediately feel like it isn't responding to the throttle when I switch to it from the Opty.

It's the perfect sleeper car! It can smoke any wannabe racer car anytime! all it needs is a slight push of the right pedal!

So happy now of having taken the plunge against the tide and getting an Opty!
No other car would have put as wide a smile on my face as the Opty does on every single drive!
Old 25th September 2012, 03:56   #262
BHPian

POITIVE: Its been long since we have seen any updates from your side on your car. Kindly let us know how the car has been performing and how has been the support for the car from GM.

Does the low GC of 165mm hurt as compared to the latest cars in the market with 185 mm GC (read Linea 2012 and SX4). I wanted to know if the low GC has ever scrapped the car on speed breakers. I had faced lot of issues on my Baleno due to GC.

Any help will be appreciated.
Old 8th October 2012, 13:03   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
POITIVE: Its been long since we have seen any updates from your side on your car. Kindly let us know how the car has been performing and how has been the support for the car from GM.

Does the low GC of 165mm hurt as compared to the latest cars in the market with 185 mm GC (read Linea 2012 and SX4). I wanted to know if the low GC has ever scrapped the car on speed breakers. I had faced lot of issues on my Baleno due to GC.

Any help will be appreciated.
The low GC does hurt, but not directly!
It's actually the soft suspension combined with the GC that hurts. You have to be really careful over speed bumps - the car has an awesome pickup and tends to leap over speed breakers (if you have not seen it ). Most of the underbody scraping happens after that - not actually on the speed bump.
Old 8th October 2012, 13:46   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
The low GC does hurt, but not directly!
It's actually the soft suspension combined with the GC that hurts. You have to be really careful over speed bumps - the car has an awesome pickup and tends to leap over speed breakers (if you have not seen it ). Most of the underbody scraping happens after that - not actually on the speed bump.
It's specifically the downward travel that happens during the end slope and the soft suspension coupled with the extra 100 kg of the diesel.

Also the sump is the most vulnerable and I also have scraped it a few times, but you eventually learn to avoid obstacles in the sump path.

Also due to the sinking effect front bumper bottom scrapes when you go down a ramp with a good slope "fast" and onto level ground. (Sigh. that happens to be the path from the garage to the road.) Gradual (smooth, proper) speed breakers are not a problem even at speed and the car takes it comfortably.

Direction of travel>>>> , Ramp \___ , is a definite bumper scrape. but nothing happens . so don't worry

If the shocks were stiffer this problem would not have been present and also the body roll would be lessened.

Last edited by optimist : 8th October 2012 at 13:49.
Old 8th October 2012, 23:38   #265
BHPian

So do you guys think a suspension upgrade is warranted for this car.

Also how is the support from GM. I mean to ask - is the spares costly than others - timely help or lethargic.
Old 11th October 2012, 12:00   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
So do you guys think a suspension upgrade is warranted for this car.

Also how is the support from GM. I mean to ask - is the spares costly than others - timely help or lethargic.

Check this :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ext-level.html
Old 11th October 2012, 12:55   #267
BHPian

Instead of a suspension upgrade won't an after market coil spring adjuster do the job.

I know a few people to did that to the Honda City and effects are just what the doctor ordered. Does not affect handling at all. Bottoming out has virtually vanished.
Old 24th October 2012, 13:10   #268

Hi Guys,

Apologies for logging back in so late. Yes, Poitive I did pick-up my Magnum LT (Grey).Its a fantastic car to drive and have already done 11k in 10 months. Best place to test all its horses is on the Blr-Hyd route, it just eats the miles - recommend strongly. A very stable car to drive even at upwards of 140kph. Love its turbo kick at 2k rpm.

Convinced my friend in Chennai to pick-up one after my buy, and he too is a very satisfied customer. For 10.5lacs you get an awesome deal!!! Glad to see quite a few on the roads and but equally sad its not there in production anymore.

Drawbacks (just a couple) -(1) Its very low (had similar issue with my Baleno) for Blr roads (though it gets a sporty look due to the low profile). Have already changed my oil sump once, which cracked when I accidentally hit a raised drainage lid.(2) I faint "thud" sound whenever I engage the first gear. Got it checked with Trident, who reverted saying it would happen whenever the synchromesh gears are engaged. Dont get that noise with any other gears though.

Additions to the car - (1) Yoko C Drive, and retained the original size of 195, didnt get a conclusive "yes" to my up-sizing query; (2) Use nitrogen at 32psi; (3) Changed headlights to OSRAM night breaker + 55/60 W bulb.
Looking for window rain visors, have been unable to get one yet.

Getting set for another long and enjoyable drive to Chikmagalur tomorrow.

Happy driving all and a very happy Dusshera!

Qondor
Qondor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2012, 00:49   #269

I also bought the Optra after extensive reviews; and this car is what really made driving such a beautiful experience.

It's a pity that this has been now discontinued by Chevy. Any upgrades to this would definitely would have hurt their Cruze sales; as the Optra is a more enjoyable ride.
Old 28th October 2021, 18:13   #270
Senior - BHPian

A decade of: Finally! “Driven!” & “Chosen a Diesel Sedan” – The VVS Magnum (Chevrolet Optra)

Hey Folks,

Logged in to the forum after a long long time and writing after several years. Wanted to share an update the dear mates who were a part of selecting and enjoying the "VVS" (Optra Magnum) - both on and of the forum:

Since Delhi does not allow diesel cars beyond 10 years, had little choice but to part with it. It was almost flawless use over 10 years. A joy to experience all through. Felt extremely bothersome as the car was still in great shape. Waited till almost the end. Felt unfair to be pushed to part with it. It almost an emotional moment - cars can be more than just A-to-B machines; some of them.

Though other cars were bought and sold in the meantime, a proper replacement for the VVS was sought for only recently. Will share the thoughts and experiences on the new vehicle selection in another thread (am nowhere near as serious and detailed as the Choosing and related threads).

An interesting thing I noted in the test drives - the decade old Optra Magnum still held it's own in comparison to the new TD cars! It was smoother and more composed in the brand new ones, thereby making the choice rather difficult, as one got used to a lot of car for the money spent. Am no fanboy of the Optra - pretty much all I said of the car held true across the decade of living with this gem.

The good news is that the Optra hasn't been sold in the commercial sense, and is still with family outside Delhi - tried to keep it in the family - so might post further on it's journey

Poitive
PS: Please pardon me for not having replied to posts and DMs during my absence.
Poitive is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks