Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2011, 11:05   #61
BHPian

Re: Finally! “Driven!” & “Chosen a Diesel Sedan” – The VVS Magnum (Chevrolet Optra)

I think you should start a 'Choosing a spacious SD card around 1200 Rs' thread :P

Its ok man. Take photos using mobile camera and later with a better digicam. That way we can appreciate the beauty even more.
Old 23rd August 2011, 11:12   #62
BHPian

Re: Finally! “Driven!” & “Chosen a Diesel Sedan” – The VVS Magnum (Chevrolet Optra)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Thank you Raj. Am glad you enjoyed it. And that you for your wishes as well. Flirting can be a lot of fun too LOL So it was an interesting wait as well.

I too am delighted to be in the Magnum. But I see it as a both head and heart choice. Took a bit of research and time to convince the head.

How are things moving for you?
Booked ANHC-S MT over the weekend and cancelled my Etios booking. Should get my refund for Etios next week. Taking delivery of ANHC coming Saturday. Finally !
Old 23rd August 2011, 14:36   #63
BHPian

Congrats Poitive! Wish you many miles of happiness. Awesome write up! Car looks amazing in the b/w photo.

You need to plan that trip from New Delhi to Kanyakumari now that VVS is there to keep you company.
Old 24th August 2011, 00:21   #64
BHPian

Poitive,

Come on mate, click some pics ASAP and post them. Your VVS Magnum does not need an SLR to look good.

Regarding turbo-lag or lack of it, here is what I meant:

1. My home is in a low area. Every morning my car needs to climb a steep incline. Does not take any big effort at all. My Baleno still struggles to go up in second gear but with the Magnum fews seconds in the first and then second takes me to the top.

2. When i am driving on a normal road with normal traffic, say in 2nd or 3rd gear at 30-50 kmph and I want to over take a car in front of me and try to accelerate and suddenly a bike comes in between and I have to apply brakes, it will take a down shift and a bit of pushing the pedal to push the RPM to 1.5-2k+.

3. Normal day, normal traffic, not-so-steep incline near on my way back home, when I reach that point at regular speed of 30-50 kmph in 2nd - 3rd gear, I have to down shift and push or wait fro few secs for the RPM to go beyond 1500 and the turbo to kick in.

4. At a speed breaker which I encounter atleast 2 times every day I slow down and go to 1st gear and then push ahead.

Now the important thing is personally this is not an issue at all. I am not a fussy guy at all and am pretty comfortable downshifting. Even my Baleno had similar or worse traits. If what I explained above is turbo-lag, then it is very much there. Beyond 1500-2000 RPM this car can take on most of the sedans but once you have slowed down on the road for whatever reason, getting it back up to 2k RPM needs few secs or going to lower gear.

And Poitive, as I said earlier, i am not a big fan of the premium fuel. Will definitely try it few times but apart from improving the whole driving experience a little bit I do not expect the premium fuel to bring in any major change or improve the turbo lag. Then again my expectations from my Magnum are not as stringent as yours. I am more of a not-so-particular-about-anything guy.

My car is living exactly to what I expected it to be. Sedate and reliable (VVS) when I want it, smashing and kill-them-all (Sehwag) when I need it.

One of the best feature of this car is actually a disadvantage for me. I am not tall (am slightly short of 5'6") and the spacious driver's seat is not hugging enough for my short build. Go figure.

Last edited by NoRules : 24th August 2011 at 00:24.
NoRules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2011, 02:37   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Great picture of your VVS. I thought you have great writing skills, but now I know you are good at photography.

For the kind of write-up we have been treated with, this one picture is like seeing a poster while we expect to see the movie.

@Prabhu - count me in on your fasting.
Oh! For me it has been a bit the other way. Enjoyed photography (like automobiles) for ages, but lost touch with it. Writing is something I have only now started to enjoy.

Maybe someday I'll be a director and make a movie!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Wonderful Poitive. Just got up and saw this. Refreshing start for the day. It was hilarious to read the conversation between you and VVS. You have a way with words.

Please post more pictures as MAS said.
Ah good! Am glad you enjoyed conversation! (I was only put to shame in it!!! LOL ). I have always enjoyed humor on the forum, and now and then try a bit myself. [in case you enjoyed it, you may enjoy this writeup on Choosing an Audio system here ]

@MAS, @Prabhu - Inspired by Anna?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
Here it comes at last Poitive. But only a single teaser snap? But that's ok, we have waited patiently for so long, so we don't bother waiting for some more time. Poitive, block your weekend for the VVS Magnum and spend some good quality time with her. BTW, do not forget your cam's battery, memory card et all and ensure that its all working fine. You seem to have a real bad luck with your stints with the digicam.
Thanks for the patience arvi.

I really need to take care of some basics - battery, etc, etc. It is making me look stupid in front of myself. And yes, in front of The VVS Magnum too!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
Of course,of course!! Also enchanted by the way he opened the veil slowly,uncertainly and bashfully. Hope you will teach him some masculine manners soon and blast out with a series of in yer face snaps rather than shy smiles and twist of the brows

Great colour!!
Good you liked it Charthom! I was really concerned about your ANHV's feelings, if you were to be looking out at the neighbor's Magnum! LOL

I thought The VVS was a bit too masculine to beat me to submission!!! It is it's first chance at modelling and it is playing up a bit. Hope to cajole The VVS soon. And to get some unabashed poses!!!

Not sure what colour you thought it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Potive is behaving like our politicians with these teasers . Come on now..u cant keep the masses waiting that long.
If your teaser is anything to go by, we are in for a real treat here.
Oh Boy!
Boy o boy!

You got me worried with the expectations mate. Hope I don't totally disappoint you. Will try not to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravingmh View Post
Have been admiring Optra's elegance, if i may, for a while now. More inclined towards the Sanddrift grey, but perhaps that has more to do with the colour of my adrift personality.

However this is a great droolworthy snap. Lustrous at exactly the right places. Karl Slym, are you reading this thread and seeing this pic. Gift this man a Diesel Beat, it would do better for you than the 'Drive Khulke' ad, ROI guaranteed.
LOL - Adrift!! I really like Sandrift Grey as well.

An interesting thing about the Optra - till the time it was considered as a potential purchase, I hardly even noticed the Optra. It is not a flashy looking design. But ever-since I really started noticing it, it did come out as an elegant design. I particularly like it from the rear, which IMO exudes character.

We were having a discussion about this in the Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan thread, when it was closed down.

Hey Karl, in case you are listening to the suggestion above, also consider a Cruze!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll work double-overtime LOL

Thanks for the kind words pravingmh.

Quote:
Sure. I agree the pedals were placed well apart. But more later, now that I have finally shed newbie skin, whew.
Congrats on becoming a Bhpian, mate. A very interesting forum this. There really is a feeling of being a community in many people here - makes it wonderful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Okk. So we will accept this as a teaser, only a teaser. We need more man. I am more interested in interior pics.
Ah yes! Yes, Interior pics make sense. It is the ergonomics of this one, which make it so good. Though the pictures will only be able to capture a small part of it. Will try.

Sure there'll be more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
I think you should start a 'Choosing a spacious SD card around 1200 Rs' thread :P

Its ok man. Take photos using mobile camera and later with a better digicam. That way we can appreciate the beauty even more.
You had me in splits Prabhu! Really did!!!
The camera not been in use for a long time. Have misplaces some 3 memory cards. Have (almost) made a resolve not to buy another one.

If you guys can bear with me, would prefer to use the camera, than the phone for pictures. Seems more fair to The VVS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_srini View Post
Booked ANHC-S MT over the weekend and cancelled my Etios booking. Should get my refund for Etios next week. Taking delivery of ANHC coming Saturday. Finally !
Hey Raj!!!!

Heartiest congratulations. Your journey seems to have been with even more ups and downs. So close, yet so far. But this time, I expect you will be driving out this one and be really happy with it. Will write on the appropriate (your) thread later.

Seems we'll see a Finally2 thread from you!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
Congrats Poitive! Wish you many miles of happiness. Awesome write up! Car looks amazing in the b/w photo.

You need to plan that trip from New Delhi to Kanyakumari now that VVS is there to keep you company.
Hey Chrome!
Thanks mate. Wishing you the same with your monster as well. Looking forward to your ownership report too. Has been an interesting decision phase we have had.

For those who don't know, Chrome really seems to have found a liking for the VM Motori engine. He had an Elantra. Almost decided for a Magnum. And after a distraction (booking the Fluidic Verna) finally chose the Cruze. All with the same heart!!!

Really need to plan this sometime. Need suitable company. Not many around me would even consider such a trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
Poitive,

Come on mate, click some pics ASAP and post them. Your VVS Magnum does not need an SLR to look good.
My fussy manners have gotten rubbed onto The VVS. But things can't wait beyond a point, so if I can't manage good pics - will just go with a dirty car and a phone-cam.

================================================== =============================================

Guys, what is holding me from taking more pics, is to get the car in good clean shape. Then there have been these silly moments with the camera. Please bear with me. Maybe I'll just loose patience too and just to click-click-click, without any passion.

================================================== =============================================

@NoRules - Thanks for the very detailed reply on turbo-lag. Helps in getting things clear.

Your comparison to the Baleno (a fun to drive petrol car), puts a very very good perspective to the talk about Turbolag.

Quote:

4. At a speed breaker which I encounter atleast 2 times every day I slow down and go to 1st gear and then push ahead.
One thing I am realizing that on 'well designed' speed breakers, one is slowing down much lesser. The suspension absorbs it rather well. Some of the gentler ones are even taken at speeds well above 50kmph on third, in my case. And no, I am not abusing the car at all.

Quote:
Now the important thing is personally this is not an issue at all. I am not a fussy guy at all and am pretty comfortable downshifting. Even my Baleno had similar or worse traits. If what I explained above is turbo-lag, then it is very much there. Beyond 1500-2000 RPM this car can take on most of the sedans but once you have slowed down on the road for whatever reason, getting it back up to 2k RPM needs few secs or going to lower gear.
My interpretation (which may be wrong), is that there is more power later (post about 1800-2000 RPM) and not some severe lack of power before that. It just gives a perception of lag.

We both seem to be rather happy with the power delivery of the car.

My suspicion is that a lot of people complain about the lag, based on the surge later and also because they may not be used to such power delivery, which is typical of many diesel engines. The 'lag' (or non-linear power delivery) seems to be a lot more in the Cruze, as compared to the Magnum.

Quote:
And Poitive, as I said earlier, i am not a big fan of the premium fuel. Will definitely try it few times but apart from improving the whole driving experience a little bit I do not expect the premium fuel to bring in any major change or improve the turbo lag. Then again my expectations from my Magnum are not as stringent as yours. I am more of a not-so-particular-about-anything guy.
In my experience, premium fuel makes a bigger difference in Diesel engines, than in Petrol engines.

I haven't used regular diesel in The VVS Magnum till now, so can't make a proper comparison. Where I think it is likely to make a difference is:
  • Better FE (may or may not be enough to offset the extra fuel cost)
  • Smoother experience. Slightly lower vibrations from the car. It may have an effect on the long term feeling of the car being coarse.
  • Slightly more power felt a lower RMP's hence improving the driving experience. The car being run at slightly lower RPMs may be the major reason for better FE.
  • Though one doesn't really need it, it should also give a bit more power to the car in general.
Just in case it seemed so, I am no boy-racer zipping across town

Quote:
My car is living exactly to what I expected it to be. Sedate and reliable (VVS) when I want it, smashing and kill-them-all (Sehwag) when I need it.
Just the same for me. Love this combo of VVS Laxman and Sehwag!
Does one smell you naming yours after Veeru?!! He too is not acknowledged enough. His stats are as impressive as that of the Magnum!

Quote:
One of the best feature of this car is actually a disadvantage for me. I am not tall (am slightly short of 5'6") and the spacious driver's seat is not hugging enough for my short build.
What I like about such seats is that on those really long drives, one can change one's position, thereby reducing fatigue. Have found this helpful for times when I have driven 10-12 hours in a day, or 6-7 hours without lifting by body off the seat.

Last edited by Poitive : 24th August 2011 at 02:40. Reason: added content
Old 24th August 2011, 04:09   #66
Senior - BHPian

After Sreeji (and Optimist), another Magnum running into trouble soon after purchase.

Amongst all this happiness, there are reports of some Magnums not doing too well. We have known about Sreeji's case. Optimist too has had issues. Now we have @dnw reporting issues about his piece too. Though I should add a link here, for those who may not already be aware of it.

Link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2476918
Old 24th August 2011, 04:47   #67
MAS
Senior - BHPian

@Poitive

Two questions to you
- what is the colour of your car? I saw a Magnum today which was metallic Gold type. Looked pretty neat.
- Kitna deti hai? With a 60 litre tank, the kms it can cover should be massive.
Old 24th August 2011, 08:28   #68
Senior - BHPian

Poitive Buddy, Sorry it took soo long for me to get down here.
Firstly Congratulations Buddy!
I had absolutely no doubt you would go in for the Magnum, it was so clear that you were absolutely smitten by it. and it is a fine choice indeed.
I absolutely loved reading through your post. It's a one stop guide to all about the Magnum. A very comprehensive one indeed. Definately to be rated 5 stars.
Wishing you many miles of joyful motoring with VVS!
BTW at first i thought it was a new variant from Chevy.
But now i realise that it's a special variant created just for you. LOL!
Drive Safe!
Old 24th August 2011, 11:31   #69
BHPian

Hey Poitive, how many kms are you planning to run the car in for? Have you crossed 3K rpm yet? Apparently chevy only recommends it for a few 100 kms atleast for the Cruze. It must be so tempting for you to try to redline it atleast a couple of times.
Old 24th August 2011, 12:00   #70
BHPian

Quote:
One thing I am realizing that on 'well designed' speed breakers, one is slowing down much lesser. The suspension absorbs it rather well. Some of the gentler ones are even taken at speeds well above 50kmph on third, in my case. And no, I am not abusing the car at all.

Just the same for me. Love this combo of VVS Laxman and Sehwag!
Does one smell you naming yours after Veeru?!! He too is not acknowledged enough. His stats are as impressive as that of the Magnum!

What I like about such seats is that on those really long drives, one can change one's position, thereby reducing fatigue. Have found this helpful for times when I have driven 10-12 hours in a day, or 6-7 hours without lifting by body off the seat.
While I slow down and down shift at this speed breaker, I do not even slow down at the very next one which is slightly smaller. Actually the house of Chief Justice of AP falls on the road I take every day and these speed breakers are due to his highness.

Dont think i will be naming my car Viru (Not a bad choice though). If anything the Magnum is a combo of VVS and Sehwag - a-la Sachin (Or should it be ai-la Sachin? )

I am not unhappy with my driver's seat. Just that I found it more spacious than Baleno seat (which was more snug) and will take some time for me to get used to it.
Old 24th August 2011, 21:56   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Not sure what colour you thought it is.
Poitive,

What difference will the colour of VVS Laxman make to his ability as a batsman?!A rose is a rose is a rose,right?

When a picture is in black and white,there are 2 ways to look at it.

1. The actual colour is hidden-hence we will not be able to judge it.So you have restricted the object in the picture/hidden a big chunk of its identity.

2. Since the actual colour is left to imagination,you have liberated the object. As the beauty lies in the eye o f the beholder,the onlooker has an infinite choice of colours to attribute to the object.

Once the colour is revealed in the colour picture,the infinity gets immediately confined to a singularity-blue,black, white etc. The mystery is annihilated.

My inclination is towards the second logic- hence I said "Great colour!". The VVS Optra will look great in any colour . To quote Shakespeare again-a rose is a rose is a rose,right!Hope you agree with me!!

Last edited by charthom : 24th August 2011 at 22:00.
Old 24th August 2011, 22:20   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Poitive, how many kms are you planning to run the car in for? Have you crossed 3K rpm yet? Apparently chevy only recommends it for a few 100 kms atleast for the Cruze. It must be so tempting for you to try to redline it atleast a couple of times.
Please read my post below about running in period for the Cruze engine. Yes the service guys will tell you that Cruze needs no running in but take it from me the running in for the Cruze goes on for atleast 17000km. I do not mean to say you have to pussy foot for 17000km. Maintaining a rpm below 2500 is a must up to the first oil change though which is more than sufficient for Indian highways. Frequent oil check up is also a must. Never let it go below the half way mark.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post2303964
Old 25th August 2011, 03:10   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Poitive Buddy, Sorry it took soo long for me to get down here.
Firstly Congratulations Buddy!
I had absolutely no doubt you would go in for the Magnum, it was so clear that you were absolutely smitten by it. and it is a fine choice indeed.
I absolutely loved reading through your post. It's a one stop guide to all about the Magnum. A very comprehensive one indeed. Definately to be rated 5 stars.
Wishing you many miles of joyful motoring with VVS!
BTW at first i thought it was a new variant from Chevy.
But now i realise that it's a special variant created just for you. LOL!
Drive Safe!
mdsaab, should I say 'Finally!' again? LOL

It sure did take you a long long time. A drive from Pune to Delhi is quicker LOL. Somehow with the way one sees you floating on so many threads, was surprised that this missed your attention. Thanks for your wishes, mate.

Now GM/Optra is known for special editions. They just got out a Laxman edition . Am glad you enjoyed reading it. I am seeing this as a long review/report, which will get penned over time - will keep sharing thoughts about various aspects of this car over time.

Thanks for the stars as well, mate. Guess no one else found it worth rating!

Quote:
While I slow down and down shift at this speed breaker, I do not even slow down at the very next one which is slightly smaller. Actually the house of Chief Justice of AP falls on the road I take every day and these speed breakers are due to his highness.
hig highness!!!! LOL
The 'highness' needs 'high' breakers!!! LOL

Quote:
Dont think i will be naming my car Viru (Not a bad choice though). If anything the Magnum is a combo of VVS and Sehwag - a-la Sachin (Or should it be ai-la Sachin? )
Hey NR, Great to see your humourous side man! ai-la!!!
Calling it Viru, though may be apt, but really doesn't 'sound' right. It makes one think of milk and Najafgarh (not taking this any further, as I like the cricketer a lot), besides the sixers.

Looking forward to your thread, mate. Bring it on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
Poitive,

What difference will the colour of VVS Laxman make to his ability as a batsman?!A rose is a rose is a rose,right?

When a picture is in black and white,there are 2 ways to look at it.

1. The actual colour is hidden-hence we will not be able to judge it.So you have restricted the object in the picture/hidden a big chunk of its identity.

2. Since the actual colour is left to imagination,you have liberated the object. As the beauty lies in the eye o f the beholder,the onlooker has an infinite choice of colours to attribute to the object.

Once the colour is revealed in the colour picture,the infinity gets immediately confined to a singularity-blue,black, white etc. The mystery is annihilated.

My inclination is towards the second logic- hence I said "Great colour!". The VVS Optra will look great in any colour . To quote Shakespeare again-a rose is a rose is a rose,right!Hope you agree with me!!
Beautifully put, Charthom!
You seem to be a poet at heart, mate. At first, when I read your comment about the colour, was a bit surprised. But now it all falls into place. And falls into place charmingly.

So, let me not limit the imagination.
Rather you have simplified it for me - I was thinking of putting up the pics in b/w, but was a bit unsure. Now I am clear. Thanks for that point of view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
@Poitive

Two questions to you
- what is the colour of your car? I saw a Magnum today which was metallic Gold type. Looked pretty neat.
- Kitna deti hai? With a 60 litre tank, the kms it can cover should be massive.
MAS mate,
Given the above, now the colour of The VVS should remain a secret!
(just in case you finalize on the Mangum and think it could influence your choice of colour (which seems rather unlikely), we'll communicate by PM - hope you'll not mind)

Kitna Deti hai? - I got another Tank Full today. Let me inform this in the "Experiencing" series of posts as the driving conditions have been far from typical. Will just write it after this post, mate.

Quote:
I have gone in for a gradually changing running in process. It needs a more detailed description than just the Kms. Briefly - Very Very careful till about 400-500kms, Very careful till about 800kms, Careful till about 1500kms, Not going ballistic till about 2500-3000kms. Will post very soon in the "Experiencing" series of posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
Please read my post below about running in period for the Cruze engine. Yes the service guys will tell you that Cruze needs no running in but take it from me the running in for the Cruze goes on for atleast 17000km. I do not mean to say you have to pussy foot for 17000km. Maintaining a rpm below 2500 is a must up to the first oil change though which is more than sufficient for Indian highways. Frequent oil check up is also a must. Never let it go below the half way mark.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post2303964
Doc, I went though that post and thread hurriedly. 17k seems like an awfully long period for running in. AFAIK, the first oil change in a Cruze is at 15k. Curiously, with the same engine (different turbo, however) the Magnum's is at 5k. Cruze uses synthetic oil. Magnum mineral.

Now, I am no techie, but had I bought a Cruze, I would seriously have considered and oil change at about 5k (I realize the synthetic stuff isn't cheap) to take care of any fine debris coming out from the initial run of the engine.

Based on your post, the 17k period was talked about on the basis of oil not getting consumed. Not sure if this is how it is normally seen as the running in period. Most manufacturers don't even ask one to run-in modern engines. (but IMO, one still should do it within some limits). You also mentioned something about your Cruze being from amongst the first batch and that it was probably used as a mule! That it has different power delivery as compared to your friends or other Cruzes. Also that your's gives out more smoke than usual. Smoke could be due to the oil getting consumed or probably due to fuel not getting burnt completely in the combustion chamber (unlikely, as you seem to have good FE).

Please shed more light on why it should be run in for 17k.

Last edited by Poitive : 25th August 2011 at 03:14.
Old 25th August 2011, 03:38   #74
Senior - BHPian

Experiencing The VVS Magnum

EXPERIENCING THE VVS MAGNUM
Had this thought that rather than focusing on what is 'good' or what is 'bad' about this car, it may be more appropriate to just share, without classifying it as good or bad. Most issues have a flip side to them as well, and classifying them as good/bad doesn't seem appropriate. Case in point - car seems low which can be seen as bad (seat height/ ingress-egress) but that reduces the CG and has other benefits.

Kitna Inaam Rakhe hai Sarkar Hum par? - Er.. Sorry, Kitna Deti hai

(Fuel Efficiency of the Magnum and other notes related to fuel
)

MAS just asked the eternal question for us desis. I too spent some time checking this, as one reason to go in for a diesel was to spend lesser on fuel.

How the car has been used till now:

About half it's running has been on freer roads at night with little traffic. Now typically this may be seen as something which will increase FE, however it was very fairly high speed driving for the city. Typically without A.C. but I usually had the front two windows open and rear ones closed. This is meant to be a highly inefficient way to drive. It's impact is a lot lot more at higher speeds (say over 80kmph). The 'drag' (wind resistance) increases. The car becomes a bit like a parachute with air getting in through the front windows and not having an easy way to escape. This adds more load on the engine, hence reducing FE.

The other half is close to normal city driving. Often on open roads. At times on very crowded roads, typical city jams, at times spending half an hour to cover 2 kms. At times only 2 mins to cover those! The odd time using the AC on a stationary car.

Fuel Used : Bharat Petroleum High Speed Diesel.

From my experience, premium fuel makes a more significant difference in diesel engines, as compared to petrol engines. I expect to use this for a while (probably till first service/oil change) and then try out regular as well, to figure out which way I want to go.

Possible benefits of premium fuel
More power available across (most of?) the RPM range. This allows us to run the car at a slightly lower rpm or higher gear, hence leading to higher FE. It is also supposed to have lesser deposits in the combustion chamber. Possibly will also keep injectors etc more clean as well. (I am not technical enough to delve further into this. Anyone knowledgeable about this, please share). It also makes the car feel very smooth (at times I find it hard to believe that I am in a diesel car, but that may be an attribute of the Mangum itself). I suppose it also aids in significantly reducing turbolag. I feel almost zero turbolag (talking about lack of power, not about the surge which follows).

Better FE should offset a major part of the extra cost. Longevity of the engine, cleaner running, potentially lesser trouble should also save some costs. At the end of the day, may not work out to be more expensive and give a better experience.

Hey! I have had lots of the blah! Get to the point mate
Calculated on a Tank-full to Tank-full method.

First time was about 13.3 km/l or so. Was driving a very sedately then. Often changing gears by 1800 RPM. Very little high speed driving. Almost no getting stuck in jams.

Subsequently it has been about 12.4km/l, with having some fun with the car within running-in limits.

What I expect after the first service
City - Usually sedate driving with the odd burst - 13-13.5kmpl
City - More enthusiastic driving - 11.5-12.5 kmpl

Highway - really don't know, but say about 15-17kmpl on a mix of sedate and spirited driving. If driven sedately, would not be surprised if it rose to 18-19kmpl.

Hope to write a bit about running in, in the next "Experiencing" post.

Last edited by Poitive : 25th August 2011 at 03:54. Reason: Formatting, note on turbolag.
Poitive is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th August 2011, 08:04   #75
BHPian

Poitive,

Thanks for the kind words,Mate.Glad you liked my logic.

Regarding your intention to post b/w pictures-it is an interesting idea.

But remember this is an automobile forum-people may expect specific information ,not really artistic/poetic ones. Hence I suggest you post proper colour photos-not keeping people guessing too much. Too much of anything is a put off,you will agree with me.

Have I offended you? Sorry,Mate-appreciate my intentions.

charthom.

Last edited by charthom : 25th August 2011 at 08:06.

Most Viewed