Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2011, 16:45   #16
BHPian

Re: Initial ownership review: Ford Endeavour 3.0L 4x4 AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I guess you modelled your report on the format suggested by the mods. You could have possibly modified the headers since a few of them are confusing. Don't take this the wrong way because it indeed a fine affair.

No worries @noopster, yup it is the exact "template" suggested by the mods. Sadly I am not able to edit it now.
Old 29th September 2011, 09:53   #17
BHPian

One word: ABS!

I was feeling guilty not keeping my thread updated due to work commitments and had made up my mind that I will update it this weekend. However, little did I know I would get to update it today. It's the first thing I'm doing once I reached my work place (safely)!

I just have one word guys: ABS. All hail ABS!!!

ABS saved the vehicle and me from what could have been a serious rear-ending today on the highway.

Ahead of me, there was this heavy, long goods carrier and some company bus drivers of which tussling about with each other for some reason. The company bus finally started to pick up speed. Then comes a signal opposite a college. The bus guy rams his air brake for some crossing college students which I came to know later. I was behind him, not at a very high speed, possibly a little higher than 40kmph and about 3-4 metres from the bus ahead. I ram (stood on) my brakes, fully expecting to hit him head on. At that magical moment, I felt a couple of minor shudders at the brake pedal. Magical moment as it was, I remembered all I read on t-bhp, keep your foot on, don't take them off and steer if possible. Steering was out of the question as I was on the right lane with the goods carrier on the left.

3 seconds. It was all over. The vehicle stood it's ground one foot away from certain damage. I was under a bit of shock first. I then picked myself up and cruised to work. The vehicle felt and braked the same as before this incident. I reached work, and then the excitement started to kick in. It felt good. I am still smiling.

I for sure know what would have happened if there wasn't this thing called ABS. I have paid a costly repair bill 10 years ago when I skid and rear-ended my Maruti Zen into a bus.

Guys, hail ABS. Thank those automobile engineers. Learn to use ABS. You might never know when you will need it. A non-spirited, sedated, defensive driver like me needed it today.

I finally get to say this thing with confidence: ABS: it will save you and your vehicle. Period.

I am nearing 4900 kms and will complete 20 or 30 odd kms above it tomorrow. I had already booked my first free service appointment for tomorrow. I'm planning to get the engineers check the brakes and ABS again to make sure they're OK. I have a 1500kms trip to Kochi planned for the next week; really looking forward to it.
Old 30th September 2011, 04:27   #18
Senior - BHPian

Hi ssh1979,
Came across your IOR today.
Great write up and nice snaps ! The Endeavour was the first vehicle that I TD almost 2 years (or more) ago when I decided that I needed a new vehicle.
Ford was on the verge of releasing the new Endy (A/T) at that time.
I had driven the manual 4X4 then and really did enjoy the vehicle. Especially its rock solid bearing and stance etc. Jarring ride though - but then I was willing to live with it.
The only reason I didn't pick it up was the size. Or else a good, solid vehicle.
Congratulations on getting Rocky.
Have fun !
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 11:10   #19
BHPian

Congrats for the BEAST !!!
Road presence of Endy is in league of T Fort & Pajero
3.0 lt engine & auto box is great combo for city drive as well as high speed cruising.

Last edited by Raosaheb Desai : 30th September 2011 at 11:11. Reason: spellings
Old 30th September 2011, 11:55   #20
BHPian

Re: One word: ABS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
.... I ram (stood on) my brakes, fully expecting to hit him head on. At that magical moment, I felt a couple of minor shudders at the brake pedal. Magical moment as it was, I remembered all I read on t-bhp, keep your foot on, don't take them off and steer if possible. Steering was out of the question as I was on the right lane with the goods carrier on the left.

3 seconds. It was all over. The vehicle stood it's ground one foot away from certain damage. I was under a bit of shock first....
Almost the same happened to me and I too believe, ABS improves braking efficiency and YES, IT DOES IMPROVE braking distance.
But, some say "No, ABS doesnt improve braking distance".
Need to study more

I can understand your feeling, Drive safe !

Prem.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 30th September 2011 at 12:02. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
Old 30th September 2011, 14:47   #21
BHPian

Re: One word: ABS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Almost the same happened to me and I too believe, ABS improves braking efficiency and YES, IT DOES IMPROVE braking distance.
But, some say "No, ABS doesnt improve braking distance".
Need to study more

I can understand your feeling, Drive safe !

Prem.
Thanks Prem. I was on a highway (best of grips). In an ordinary braking system without ABS/EBD, I would have skidded (tyre burn), and my vehicle being heavy as it is, I don't know where I might have ended. The ABS kept the tyres under some sort of motion and I was straight on track when it stopped finally. I say this for sure, because till the moment I felt the vibration and shudder on my brake pedal, I was sure I was going to rear-end.
Old 30th September 2011, 15:26   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raosaheb Desai View Post
Congrats for the BEAST !!!
Road presence of Endy is in league of T Fort & Pajero
3.0 lt engine & auto box is great combo for city drive as well as high speed cruising.
Thanks Rao Saheb; the Endy's presence is sure something. But you now have the Force One coming up to compete with me :(

I hate that it looks so much like the Endy!
Old 30th September 2011, 15:28   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi ssh1979,
Came across your IOR today.
Great write up and nice snaps ! The Endeavour was the first vehicle that I TD almost 2 years (or more) ago when I decided that I needed a new vehicle.
Ford was on the verge of releasing the new Endy (A/T) at that time.
I had driven the manual 4X4 then and really did enjoy the vehicle. Especially its rock solid bearing and stance etc. Jarring ride though - but then I was willing to live with it.
The only reason I didn't pick it up was the size. Or else a good, solid vehicle.
Congratulations on getting Rocky.
Have fun !
Thanks Guderian. I feel privileged to receive such notes from popular BHPians

Regarding the ride quality, as I said, I knew what I was buying and was more interested in other things it had to offer.
ssh1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2012, 13:23   #24
BHPian

Nearly 8 months and exactly 20,000 kms later, this is how Rocky looks. This picture was taken this morning before the mechanics whisked him away to get him serviced at the 20K kms interval.

Initial ownership review: Ford Endeavour 3.0L 4x4 AT-img_0336.jpg

The main jobs, among others, that will be performed at the 3rd free service at 20K are: Engine Oil + Oil Filter replacement, Air Filter replacement, Front and Rear Differential Oil replacement. Estimate was Rs. 7000 (labour is free).

Feeling guilty that I have not bothered to keep this thread updated, especially since I am a delighted customer. I will update it slowly. But it will be more like a flashback to the 20K kms past (and would serve as my record as well). The chapters will be

- Rocky's first offroad test
- The alloys and tyres upgrade story
- HIDs and their removal
- A further lighting upgrade
- Installation and performance of the "black box"
- Minor niggles faced and their resolution
- Beauty saloon and spa stories!
- Mileage statistics
- The long drives done and performance report
- Expenses incurred so far
Old 22nd March 2012, 13:52   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Feeling guilty that I have not bothered to keep this thread updated, especially since I am a delighted customer.
ssh1979, will look forward to reading the flashback story. Rocky is sure looking more beefed up and muscular than before. This'll help a lot of noob 4x4'ers learn a lot about Endy's capabilities, especially since there aren't many on the forum.
Old 1st July 2012, 01:55   #26
BHPian

Quote:
The chapters will be

- HIDs and their removal
- Mileage statistics
Congrats Shyam :-) Rocky looks cool in his new avatar. Can't wait for the above chapters!
Old 15th July 2012, 23:50   #27
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Interesting read. I read your fantastic report in one go.

Quote:
Feeling guilty that I have not bothered to keep this thread updated, especially since I am a delighted customer. I will update it slowly. But it will be more like a flashback to the 20K kms past (and would serve as my record as well). The chapters will be

- HIDs and their removal
- Mileage statistics
Would appreciate if you could update your thread with the details. I am seriously considering owing an Endeavour and your update will help me and many others in my situation to take an informed decision.
Old 2nd November 2012, 18:43   #28
MAS
Senior - BHPian

I just noticed on T-BHP Classified that you have put up your Endeavour for sale
http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...ndeavour.html/

I saw that you have put the reason for sale as "going abroad". Wish you good luck.
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2013, 18:00   #29
BHPian

My Rocky is sold. Both :( and

As a last note, I just want to thank Rocky for being sturdy, reliable and trust worthy more than being a beast sized presence on the road. In my 15 month, 40000 kms ownership, I never once felt in doubt or even thought if he can take it.

I wish the new owner 1000s of kms of hassle free ownership as I have had so far. I'd any day give a thumbs up for prospective buyers of this wonderful model.

Thanks to all TBHPians and guests who have read and commented on this thread.
ssh1979 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2013, 18:14   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the wonderful report ssh1979! Look forward to more Rocky sequels from your side.

Mod Note: Thread Closed.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks