Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2011, 14:18   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Riding the Power High on my Silver Ambiente Laura TSI

Wow, another Laura on the forum! This despite the bashing Skoda has received!! But I am also now falling for the super looks of the Laura and the TSI petrol engine, rest all A.S.S issues and Skoda's reputation be damned.

Also, don't think much about the F.E part or the oil consumption part. I think we all buy cars to enjoy them. So, do that; enjoy your car to the fullest! I am sure you already are enjoying it!
Old 26th August 2011, 15:36   #32
BHPian

Hey skjlives Congratualtions!!! Thats one hell of a powerful beast. I had my eyes set on the TSI but ended up buying the TDI (love the PD engine growl everytime i throttle up).

The experience with Tafe is quite interesting. I had on them once for a TD and they never responded and had the Vinayak guy all over me to close the deal (didnt get the color of my preference sadly).

The Vinayak service experience has been very average.

If you have not found out already, the 3D Kagu mats, they are available in Hot Track on Victoria road and Residency road.

Have a blast!!!
DieselDestiny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2011, 17:49   #33
BHPian

Hey Skjlives congratulations buddy! I am also out in market for buying a car and laura TSI is coming up to become a strong contender. I wanted to get a DSG diesel but considering the price difference between the petrol and diesel one, i think its a pleasure decision buying a TSI since even I am a petrol head and have been driving palio 1.6 for last 3.5 years
Old 27th August 2011, 12:27   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDestiny View Post
I had my eyes set on the TSI but ended up buying the TDI (love the PD engine growl everytime i throttle up).
The 2009 Laura has a CR engine and not PD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDestiny View Post
The Vinayak service experience has been very average.
Could you elaborate why you would say this?
Old 27th August 2011, 12:52   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
The 2009 Laura has a CR engine and not PD.
Santosh, IIRC, the facelifted Laura started out with the PD engines, except for the L&K variant and somewhere around early 2010 they replaced all PD engines with CR engines (because the PD engines were not BS4 compliant). So I'm not sure if DieselDestiny bought his Laura back then or it is a recent purchase for him in which case it should definitely be a CR diesel engine. See below one of the early reviews of the facelifted Skoda Laura:

http://www.carazoo.com/newcars/carreview/Skoda/Laura

I remember telling my brother in law to not buy the PD engine variant of the Laura in 2009 but he said that the price differential for the CR engine was not worth and that he only cared about the mileage which the PD was a champ at anyway.

Last edited by skjlives : 27th August 2011 at 13:00.
Old 27th August 2011, 13:06   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by skjlives View Post
Santosh, IIRC, the facelifted Laura started out with the PD engines, except for the L&K variant and somewhere around early 2010 they replaced all PD engines with CR engines (because the PD engines were not BS4 compliant). So I'm not sure if DieselDestiny bought his Laura back then or it is a recent purchase for him in which case it should definitely be a CR diesel engine. See below one of the early reviews of the facelifted Skoda Laura:

Skoda Laura Car Review India, New Laura - Car Reviews

I remember telling my brother in law to not buy the PD engine variant of the Laura in 2009 but he said that the price differential for the CR engine was not worth and that he only cared about the mileage which the PD was a champ at anyway.
Both the facelifted Laura (including L&K), and prev. Jetta had PD engines, and the change to CR TDI happened in 2010. IIRC, in India the CR TDI first came in the Passat.
Old 27th August 2011, 13:36   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Both the facelifted Laura (including L&K), and prev. Jetta had PD engines, and the change to CR TDI happened in 2010. IIRC, in India the CR TDI first came in the Passat.

vb-san, Laura L&K used to come with a 2.0 CRDI engine much before it was launched in other variants as far as i can remember. It was only after BS4 compliance that they launched the CRDI engine in other variants as well as the PD engine was not complaint with new norms and that was the time when even the Octavia was phased out of markets.
Old 27th August 2011, 14:26   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subodh View Post
vb-san, Laura L&K used to come with a 2.0 CRDI engine much before it was launched in other variants as far as i can remember. It was only after BS4 compliance that they launched the CRDI engine in other variants as well as the PD engine was not complaint with new norms and that was the time when even the Octavia was phased out of markets.
I think vb-san is right. L&K had a higher capacity and tuned engine (2.0 L PD producing 140 bhp) when the face-lifted Laura was launched. This is what I must have asked my b-i-l to pick up instead of the lower output 1.9 L PD pumping out only 105 BHP.
The entire Laura range probably only got their CRDIs in early 2010, but again in different states of tune depending on whether you chose manual or automatic.

Can somebody who knows the Laura diesels well confirm this? Will probably be useful background information for people in the "pre-worshipped" car market for a Laura diesel or even for current owners who will go to sell theirs eventually.
Old 27th August 2011, 14:55   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by subodh View Post
Quote:
I think vb-san is right. L&K had a higher capacity and tuned engine (2.0 L PD producing 140 bhp) when the face-lifted Laura was launched. This is what I must have asked my b-i-l to pick up instead of the lower output 1.9 L PD pumping out only 105 BHP.
The entire Laura range probably only got their CRDIs in early 2010, but again in different states of tune depending on whether you chose manual or automatic.

Can somebody who knows the Laura diesels well confirm this? Will probably be useful background information for people in the "pre-worshipped" car market for a Laura diesel or even for current owners who will go to sell theirs eventually.
Thanks Subodh and Skjlives! I am quite sure of the engine upgrade timelines. Mainly because it was a couple of months after I joined T-Bhp, and this was one news I was tracking a lot

Here is one reference link from Carwale.com. Hope it helps!
Skoda Laura Elegance 2.0 TDI CR AT Road Test - Clean Conscience - CarWale
Old 28th August 2011, 11:15   #40
BHPian

Would you recommend a used 3 series instead of a new TSI? Can't get my head around it.
Old 28th August 2011, 15:56   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamsaif View Post
Would you recommend a used 3 series instead of a new TSI? Can't get my head around it.
Tamsaif -First of all, welcome to the forum and look forward to interacting.

If you look through the initial ownership threads, there are a few bhpians who have the exotic combination of Laura TSI and BMW 320d in their garages. They may be the best to answer your question having experienced both cars first hand. But here's my take. You should consider the following factors on the Bimmer:
  1. Can you live with a used car which will always have more maintenance requirement in terms of time, bandwidth and cost, compared to a new car?
  2. Can you find a car with low mileage and in decent condition to serve you well for at least 3-4 years?
  3. Ride quality is relatively harsh on the 3, attributable in no mean proportion to the run flat tires. Will you and your family be comfortable with that, especially in low speed conditions in most cities?
  4. Skoda is not cheap to maintain, but BMW will be the next level, and also relatively difficult outside of tier I cities IMO
I think if you're comfortable with the above points, go ahead and get that Bimmer. Pluses over the Laura TSI would be a cabin that is much more luxurious with better features thrown in, a highly refined diesel engine with decent mileage (if diesel is what you're looking at) and the prestige of the badge

Btw, if you did not already know this, the Laura TSI is quicker than all the 3 series sedans, except the 330i, which has very similar 0-100 kmph numbers to the TSI
skjlives is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2011, 16:32   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Btw, if you did not already know this, the Laura TSI is quicker than all the 3 series sedans, except the 330i, which has very similar 0-100 kmph numbers to the TSI
The 330i does a 6.6 second 0-100 sprint. Is the TSi really that fast?
Old 28th August 2011, 17:08   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
Nope. The TSI does anywhere between 8.1 to 8.2 depending on fuel used and as tested by various auto journos. The number I got for 330i from Autocar was 8.11 seconds. Did not know it was capable of mid sixes to the ton!

Another article that places the 330i's performance in the mid eights: BMW 3 series in India, BMW 3 series Review, BMW 3 series price in India

But then this one says the "claimed" figure of 6.6: http://www.zigwheels.com/newcars/BMW/3-Series/330i

I remember ACI doing a comparo between 330i and Audi 3.2 FSI where Audi just marginally pipped the Bimmer in the 0-100 stakes, and that too with a time of only 8.05 secs. Whats the catch here, in terms of difference between manufacturer claimed figures and real life tested numbers? Fuel quality?

Last edited by skjlives : 28th August 2011 at 17:14.
Old 28th August 2011, 17:13   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You should consider the following factors on the Bimmer:
  1. Can you live with a used car which will always have more maintenance requirement in terms of time, bandwidth and cost, compared to a new car?
  2. Can you find a car with low mileage and in decent condition to serve you well for at least 3-4 years?
  3. Ride quality is relatively harsh on the 3, attributable in no mean proportion to the run flat tires. Will you and your family be comfortable with that, especially in low speed conditions in most cities?
  4. Skoda is not cheap to maintain, but BMW will be the next level, and also relatively difficult outside of tier I cities IMO
I think if you're comfortable with the above points, go ahead and get that Bimmer. Pluses over the Laura TSI would be a cabin that is much more luxurious with better features thrown in, a highly refined diesel engine with decent mileage (if diesel is what you're looking at) and the prestige of the badge

Compared to the 3, you would be missing that super connected steering, perfectly balance chassis and RWD in the Laura TSI. All of which put the 3 in another league when it comes to driving pleasure. The Laura's steering is a bit disconnected and the suspension too soft for spirited cornering. The TSI engine and the manual gearbox though are a lot of fun compared to 3 series diesels. The 330i is in a different league in terms of performance (also price), but will be expensive to run and maintain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
Not really. It takes about 8.3 secs to get to a 100.
Old 28th August 2011, 18:08   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The number I got for 330i from Autocar was 8.11 seconds.

Another article that places the 330i's performance in the mid eights...[/url]

But then this one says the "claimed" figure of 6.6...
Quote:
Not really. It takes about 8.3 secs to get to a 100.
I THINK it should come down to fuel quality, but not to the extent that it should vary between 6.6 and 8.3 !! In fact, I remember discussing this briefly with Rehaan when we were reviewing the 330i. If anything, the 8.xx second figure is more believable.

Link to my post in the review http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post1941444

Quote:
The 330i is in a different league in terms of performance (also price), but will be expensive to run and maintain.
No, it isn't. It really is damn boring to drive.

Anyway, to clarify things about my previous post and the post in our 330i review, I was only stating official figures. We did not do any 0-100 runs.

By the way the 320d also comes with an official 8.2 figure. Every magazine claims a 9.xx in its reviews. Oh well, as long as it flies and is unbelievably frugal at the same time, I have no complaints about mine!
FlyingSpur is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed