Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2011, 18:09   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford Ikon 1.6 ZXi Petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
I'm not getting your point here. Could you please clarify?
The Ikons HL assy is a sealed one. By default the wiring to the holders goes in through a pin in a socket. So, if you want to wire the ceramic holders, which will come with the relay, you will have to make a hole at the back of the bulb cover.

Check the pic.

Ford Ikon 1.6 ZXi Petrol-ikon-hl.jpg

Please let me know if you need any more info.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2011, 01:23   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post

I don't know if it's a ROCAM engine. The manual simply mentions 1.6 l SOHC and the word ROCAM is nowhere mentioned, so I am assuming it's the pushrod one. (Update: I browsed on the net, and it seems the Ikon 1.6 was launched with a ROCAM engine, while the 1.3 was initially launched with a pushrod engine and later again with the ROCAM engine. Here are two links for more info:
Ford_Ikon_1.3_Nxt_Clxi:- Engine and Transmission
FORD IKON SXi (Rocam Petrol)
So it seems I do have the ROCAM engine. Any other way to find out? The top of the engine does not show ROCAM written on it.)

Funny, last night as we drove out of Pune, we halted at a Shell petrol pump (just after Hinjewadi signal, on the way to Mumbai) to fill up the tank. As I got down the attendant asked if I wanted the ordinary one or the premium. After I chose ordinary he put the nozzle into the tank, asked me to confirm the zero reading and just before starting to pump it in, asked, "You sure it's petrol?" I was surprised and nodded.

Later when going into the second foodmall, just before the khalapur toll plaza, I mistakenly entered the petrol pump area. I decided to drive through the pumps. Since there were cars waiting to refuel and attendants roaming about I slowed down to a crawl. An attendant, mistakenly believing I wanted to refuel, asked me, "Diesel, isn't it?" I shook my head in surprise, again. Both of them suspected it was a diesel car, dunno why.

Any advice on the tiny mirrors? I would really love to put something even a tad bigger in their place. Also the right side ORVM is very loose. It keeps moving forth a little on its own as I drive.
Congrats bro. It is 100% ROCAM. Pop the hood it'll be written on the case. Its an awesome car to have. Best A/c in its class. Great road handling capabilities. But Beware of spares. Sometimes they are expensive. I too had a 1.6zxi maroon colour. And ive spent more that the price i bought it at.

Lots of IKON TDCI's thats diesel in the market now so hence the questions.
Old 24th August 2011, 07:14   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am not too happy with pushing the seat back and pulling it forth every time I decide to get out of and into the car. I guess I shall try and train my body into this acrobatic feat.
Congrats on your buy! Wishing you many joyful kms with the Ikon.

As for the slight hesitancy displayed by the car, why dont you get the throttle body cleaned and checked? If it's not this, then its certainly a weak ignition coil.

Getting in and out of the driver's seat in the Ikon is not so much of an issue for me, despite my size. I have the seat position kept slightly behind, and then put my legs out of the car and pull the rest of myself out. Dont know how to describe it better.

The reason you feel this difficult now is since you have moved on from a tall boy design to a lower slung sedan. Tall boys were always known for their practicality in such aspects.

However, when you take it on the winding roads, you are going to love the Ikon!
Old 24th August 2011, 08:54   #19
Senior - BHPian

Update: Horn issue sorted out last evening just as the workshop guys were ready to close. It was a blown fuse. Saturday I shall be taking it there for a thorough look at things. I should have clicked the photos right at the time I took it out for a spin the first time, but now overnight rains have dirtied it a little. After the works when she goes for a bath, maybe then I can take a couple of pics and upload them. Till then please be patient.

@dhanushs, thanks for the pic, it's crystal clear to me too now. I shall think about fitting 90/100 bulbs more than once to see if the whole thing could be done without any cuttings. Do you know if the ZXi can be fitted with foglamps? I didn't notice any provisions for the same on the front bumper, but then I am new to the Ikon.

@sandeepmohan, yesterday evening I tried the trick you had suggested, by engaging the handbrake and then operating the power window switch from the driver's side. The parking brake light in the console does indeed dim and then brightens up every time I operate the switch. I am assuming that the motor is functional, which is a great relief. More details on this will be known on Saturday.

Another item on the list is a reverse camera. The car has a huge butt, and it's scary to reverse without assistance, specially when you can't see clearly (a rainy night) or you are on a busy street. A dashboard mounted one at a local shop is available at 3.8k, while an internal mirror-mounted one costs around 4.2k, both with a 1 yr warranty. Any suggestions here?

Last edited by honeybee : 24th August 2011 at 09:22.
Old 24th August 2011, 13:38   #20
Senior - BHPian

@honeybee, get a spoiler at the rear if your car already does not have one, this will help you to see the outer edge on your inner rear view mirror. Ikon i find is one of the easiest car to reverse. It is so easy to park the car into an exact spot.

Easier than the Ritz i daresay!

If you are planning for a camera i guess either one of those would do, go for the mirror mounted one, why all the clutter on your dash?
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2011, 14:53   #21
Senior - BHPian

Fitting the spoiler so that you are able to see the the edge of the boot! That's a novelty. I have to check the prices.

About the cameras, I am also thinking of putting one up front so even on rainy nights it can provide a clear vision of the road ahead (a few hundred metres ahead should be good enough).

First things to be done now are all the checkups under the hood and under the body. I am going to find out the cost of each repair first. The whole list will then be prioritized and tackled in the best possible manner. I am planning to get the car ready by end of September for week-end highway cruises.
Old 24th August 2011, 15:02   #22
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations HoneyBee! Seeing an Ford Ikon 1.6 ownership thread was a pleasant surprise. I also have a 2003 Dec Ikon 1.6 NxT. It may be an old car, but still so much of fun to drive.

As Dhanush mentioned, please get the tyres changed. Happy motoring, and make sure to wear seatbelts
Old 24th August 2011, 15:41   #23
BHPian

Glad to see this thread. I had an Ikon 1.6NXT ZXI for 5.5 yrs before I sold it in Jan 11 for 2.5L. I had a great time s with her where we spent precious moments on many long drives. Even now sometimes I think about her and tend to miss her. what a car it was.
Old 24th August 2011, 21:55   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Do you know if the ZXi can be fitted with foglamps? I didn't notice any provisions for the same on the front bumper, but then I am new to the Ikon.
Yes, the IKON came with two types of bumpers, and fog lamps can be fitted in both. Whats your bumper type?.
Old 25th August 2011, 09:40   #25
Senior - BHPian

I don't know what type it is, but there was no obvious place for a foglamp. Below the 'waistline' of the bumper, on both sides there were horizontal slats. I don't think they are used for holding the fogs, but then I am not too sure. I shall try and post pics over this week-end so the pictures can speak for themselves.

One thing I am sure of, the bumper does not look like the ones which house the round foglamps and have a slight overhang at the corners.

The purpose of asking the question was I think I shall need fogs, and I want to know if fitting another type of bumper would help or the existing bumper needs to be 'modified'.
Old 25th August 2011, 09:53   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't know what type it is, but there was no obvious place for a foglamp..
Honeybee, even if your bumper is the previous type, even then the fogs can be fitted into it at the red marks I made in the pic.
Just keep a keen eye out on the road for the Ikons and you will see one with that type of bumper fitted with fogs.
It is available and very much doable.
Ford Ikon 1.6 ZXi Petrol-picture_26074.jpg

P.s: the pic of th car is sourced from this classifieds link.
http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...ord/Ikon.html/

Edit: You can even change the bumper to present one's with round fog lamps, but that will cost you atleast 25-30K IMO.

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 25th August 2011 at 09:54.
Old 25th August 2011, 11:20   #27
Senior - BHPian

Honeybee, you are in luck.
Searched for the pic with fogs on old bumper and got that again from our classifieds. Attaching the pic
Ford Ikon 1.6 ZXi Petrol-picture_22031.jpg

Here is the link.
http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...ord/Ikon.html/
Fordmanchau is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2011, 13:35   #28
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Fordmanchau, I shall check out the same at the workshop on Saturday. After the workshop visit I want to give it a good bath and will then try to take a few photos, so you can get some ideas about the exact state of affairs.
Old 27th August 2011, 20:12   #29
Senior - BHPian

Update: Visited the Titwala Ganapati temple with the new (old) car. Have clicked a couple of photos with my mobile which I shall upload soon. The journey wasn't smooth at all thanks to the various potholes installed by the KDMC on the roads in and around its periphery. The horn fuse gave up while getting out of the mess outside Kalyan station and had to turn a saint to carry on to the journey. On the return path, bought three 15A fuses from a roadside shop, not a very good quality. Used up one of them in about three kilometres, so halted and replaced it again. That fuse is holding on for dear life, till now.

Once back in Dombivli, replaced the RHS ORVM as the original one was loose in its holder. The new one cost Rs. 550/- It seems there are no other models available, and I am stuck with the narrow view offered by the existing mirrors.

I also noticed that the problems with acceleration seem to be more to do with the accelerator pedal and not the engine. The pedal movement wasn't consistent when gently nudging it. Beyond 2500 and before 3500, the torque of the engine reminded me of the feeling one gets in an airplane during takeoff.
Old 27th August 2011, 20:27   #30
Team-BHP Support

You're a lucky guy, honeybee.

The Ikon 1.6 ZXi is a wonderful car. We used to own a dark-green 1.6 ZXi, before we sold it in 2006 and replaced it with a Civic.

And now, looking at these pictures makes me feel a bit nostalgic. I love the old Ikon's bumpers, especially the triangular slats for the fogs, on the front bumper. I remember, our car was kitted pretty well. Black leather seating, the smaller leather-steering-wheel borrowed from the Ikon Rally-Sport, the little rear spoiler (that eventually came off after 5 years!) were some of the things we threw into the car's OE kit.

Our car wasn't too lucky though. It was stuck in our apartment's basement in Povai, Mumbai when the rains lashed the city. (26/7). We'd met with a few accidents too, that were just unavoidable. One time, while waiting at the traffic lights somewhere in Jayanagar, a Chetak being ridden very rashly by some blokes came crashing into our car while it was stationary. The impact had broken the front axle!

After 50k on the odo, we had a daunting service-bill in our hands. Nevertheless..

It's a great drivers' car. Plenty of grip, great handling, a very communicative and responsive steering-wheel, a wonderful gearbox that begs to be worked, and a sweet engine that was powerful enough to leave a badly driven Honda City in the dust. And to complete the package, it came with a decent rear bench that had more space than some other cars back in the day.

I miss my car. Sigh.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th August 2011 at 20:33.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks