Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2011, 11:58   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford Ikon 1.6 ZXi Petrol

Here are the pics, one from the front and the other from behind.

In the pic from behind, I have marked a place on the rear bumper with a yellow circle. This where a biker decided to test the Ikon's bumper. It was a low-speed impact, while crawling in traffic I stopped the car and the biker behind couldn't stop his bike in time and there was a bang. I suspect the bumper was pushed inside a little by the biker's front tyre, as for quite a while he was trying to disentangle the bike but couldn't. However as the pic shows, the damage if any isn't obviously visible.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Ikon 1.6 ZXi Petrol-ikonbehind.jpg  

Ford Ikon 1.6 ZXi Petrol-ikonfront.jpg  

Old 28th August 2011, 12:23   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post

In the pic from behind, I have marked a place on the rear bumper with a yellow circle. This where a biker decided to test the Ikon's bumper. It was a low-speed impact, while crawling in traffic I stopped the car and the biker behind couldn't stop his bike in time and there was a bang. I suspect the bumper was pushed inside a little by the biker's front tyre, as for quite a while he was trying to disentangle the bike but couldn't. However as the pic shows, the damage if any isn't obviously visible.
That is as classic as Ikons can get! It's beautiful. I suggest you get it detailed as soon as possible.

Probably the earliest and fondest Ikon. The chrome-strip across the front grille, the single reverse-light, ah, memories.

I noticed that even our Ikon's bumper, on low impact, caved in a bit. I think it's an Ikon-trait. I've seen several Ikons with similarly caved-in bumpers. Most of them were the older ones though.

A word of advice. check the enitre exhaust system for rust or leakage. Older Ikons are known for their exhaust issues. Some owners, like me, had even resorted to getting a locally fabricated system installed in place. I do not advise that, and I'm speaking with experience.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th August 2011 at 12:24.
Old 28th August 2011, 12:53   #33
Team-BHP Support

Do you plan on retaining the current looks of the car?
Just wanted to let you know it doesnt take much to transform the looks of your ikon into the newer version. You can replace the taillamps with the latest ones, and also the headlamps. It will make your car appear atleast 5-6 years newer.

A change to the SXI bumpers will further enhance the looks. Ofcourse, all depends on "if" are interested in the change.
Old 28th August 2011, 12:56   #34
Senior - BHPian

Talking of bumpers!!
My Ikon got rear-ended day before yesterday by a Maruti 800. I stopped in time but the 800 couldn't as it was raining and visibility was a little low. I got down and inspected the bumper and there was no tell-tale sign of any impact. I even held the bumper and tried shaking but it was not budging.
So I guess, the bumper's pretty good by it's standard.
Old 28th August 2011, 13:38   #35
Senior - BHPian

Regarding the looks, my philosophy is that since I am going to be sitting inside, it doesn't matter how the car looks from outside. Of course if there were any functional benefits to the accessories, such as clear lens headlights offering better illumination, I would consider them. But the car as it is today is pretty much functional.

Now that the pressing issues have been taken care, I am planning to get the suspension and the brakes checked up. Rains are pouring down here incessantly, so I am not sure if I shall be able to visit the workshop today. Will try and post pics of the works too if I can.
Old 28th August 2011, 13:49   #36
Senior - BHPian

@honeybee, Fordmanchau,

Sorry to know that your Ikon's got rear ended in the traffic but was glad to know that the bumpers of the Ikon's came out unscathed. This shows the build quality of the vehicle.

I think Fiesta bumpers are not that strongly built, feels very light weighted. My opinion.
Old 28th August 2011, 14:10   #37
naj
BHPian

Hi!
Congrats Honeybee !!. I saw this thread only today.
The front grill with the crome strip looks great. I like the older look better.

Since the car is from Pune the chassis and underbody should be in a good condition.Can you advice on that ?

Also advice about rattles. I can hear some rattles from the dash area lately from my 2004 ikon 1.6 at 30000 km.
As far as I know Dombivli does not have a Ford service station. The nearest one is at Nerul.

I also feel that you check the condition of the exhaust system and get it replaced if required. The ikon is a discontinued model and sourcing parts could be a problem after a year or so.

Cheers,
Naj
Old 28th August 2011, 15:52   #38
Senior - BHPian

Thanks both ghodlur and naj for the comments. The chassis surely is in a good condition, there are no irregularities visible to the naked eye. As you can see from the photos the stance is perfect and no imbalances whatsoever. It also sits well on both the front and the rear, so the suspension is not sagging (at least not visibly so). As far as the underbody is concerned, not much of an idea, but since the car was parked in a protected parking most of the times, I should not worry much about it.

I shall be taking it to the workshop soon and will see what comes out of it.

Naj, the closest Ford service centre is Shreeji Ford, at Thane. I don't have any experience of it, but one of our Ford owners, ghodlur, has recommended it. In case I am not able to get something done locally I shall be checking them out.

Which Ford ASC is located at Nerul, do you have any recommendations about them, positive/negative?

Last edited by honeybee : 28th August 2011 at 15:55.
Old 28th August 2011, 21:37   #39
Senior - BHPian

Update after visit to the workshop:

Both steering ball joints need to be replaced. The mechanic jacked up both the front wheels one after the other and tried to shake them, rotating them gently. After which he told me the steering ball joints are gone.

All fluids change, including the oil filter and the steering ball joint with tie rod ends should cost approx 5k. Tyres from JK are around 3300 apiece, so that's another 17k. The mechanic advised to get all the work done once the rains are over. The problem with that is I shall be spending all the amount in one go. I am thinking of breaking it up into smaller chunks so the work done can be evaluated individually and it's easier on the pocket too.
Old 28th August 2011, 23:45   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Update after visit to the workshop:

Both steering ball joints need to be replaced. The mechanic jacked up both the front wheels one after the other and tried to shake them, rotating them gently. After which he told me the steering ball joints are gone.
Where was this? Dombivli workshop? How are they going to source the ball joints?

I feel instead of working on the car in bits and pieces, it would better if you get the entire issue sorted out in one go. That way you get a car without any niggles and can enjoy it even better.
Old 29th August 2011, 01:24   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You gout yourself a very neat piece, buddy!!..
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
A change to the SXI bumpers will further enhance the looks. Ofcourse, all depends on "if" are interested in the change.
I second Benny. It will also fetch you better resale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Talking of bumpers!!
Oh.. taking about bumpers.. I'm not kidding, atleast 10 times my rear bumper has been hit. by a bullet guy, an alto, a electric post, a concrete pillar, a cycle.. etc.. etc.. etc.. apart from the cracks in paint, one cant make out nothing..
Quote:
The problem with that is I shall be spending all the amount in one go. I am thinking of breaking it up into smaller chunks so the work done can be evaluated individually and it's easier on the pocket too.
honeybee, my personal opinion is that, save a bit and spend in one go, after you are are well versed with your machine. The feeling a complete overhaul gives is priceless!

If you go, part by part, there will always be one or the other part that gives you trouble pending, and that is affects satisfaction!
Old 29th August 2011, 12:40   #42
Senior - BHPian

The complete suspension/brake system check up still remains to be done, as also the ignition coil, spark plugs and so on. Therefore I am keeping both the options open: Get everything done at one time, meaning the car may have to be left at the garage for a few days till the parts can be procured (assuming not all the necessary parts are in stock). Anyways inspecting the things and then replacing them should take a couple of days.

Whichever way it swings I agree with the mechanic that it makes little sense to do it right now, when the car will largely be idle or driven within the city, when the rains are still playing havoc. It is impossible to find a dry spell to get all the inspection as well as repair work carried out. And since I don't plan to drive out on the highways till Oct, or maybe later, the delay just suits me fine.

Should I now get a car cover for the remaining month or so of monsoon?

The built in cassette player doesn't work. I found this out after I inserted a brand new cassette inside. The cassette does not lodge itself into the correct place, and the Eject button does not eject the cassette. Is this repairable? If I have to replace it, do I have to approach Ford or can it be sourced from the market?

Last edited by honeybee : 29th August 2011 at 12:57.
Old 6th September 2011, 11:07   #43
Senior - BHPian

Update: Had my second tank fill today. The overall FE is a little over 10. This has been after liberal use of AC as it's been raining a lot here. Plus it being an unknown car till now, I hadn't been switching off the engine while idling / waiting.
Old 15th September 2011, 11:05   #44
Senior - BHPian

Update: Third tankfull. The average is now a little above 11. AC usage has been less as the rains are less, also the potholes have been at least been partially filled up, which allows me to maintain good speeds. Have also started switching off the engine when idling for more than a few seconds.

Got the car washed today, a brief body wash while rushing to office.

Also till date I haven't been using the horn (it ain't fixed yet). I am going to get it repaired over the week end, but to be honest I don't miss it much. I am just hoping that once it's back in working order I don't pick up the habit of honking.

Lots of work planned for the weekend. Let's see how the things fall in place.
Old 15th September 2011, 11:44   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is this repairable? If I have to replace it, do I have to approach Ford or can it be sourced from the market?
Pay ~700 bucks, and get and aftermarket USB player installed in the cassette player. Much more convenient and economical than the good 'ol cassette player.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks