Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2011, 16:01   #61
BHPian

Re: Ford Ikon 1.6 ZXi Petrol

Congrats on your purchase ! The Ikon is a really nice car to speed along on the highway especially on a long ride - stable, fast and fatigue-free. I have a 2001 Ikon Zxi. However, I have had a couple of problems. Some of these were very difficult to diagnose (due to inexperience of Ford mechancs ???) . For example, a tie-rod nut was loose. 2 minute job to fix, but they had to bring down the whole shock absorber assembly (and they couldnt find anything there anyway). Finally they found it, because a mechanic walking under the car touched it.

The other thing is careful about service - make sure you are aware of everything they do. I have had Ford guys telling me to change the whole steering column for a rattling sound that was a simple bolt tightening (found by an ex Maruti mechanic and not even a Ford mechanic). Also make sure you look at the list prices of parts - i have had my service center giving me a price and finding out from the Ford list that it was at least Rs800/- cheaper.

The main thing is be aware of what's going on when your car goes to the service center.

Good luck and enjoy the beauty !
Old 26th September 2011, 16:46   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I have been shamelessly asking my mechanic and even this tyre guy about MRFs, knowing well they wouldn't recommend it. But if the MRFs on my Ikon served for eight years and still going strong, I want to check them out for sure, tyre noise be damned.
The MRFs are tough, and will serve you a long time without complaints. However, they dont do too well in the grips department. I upgraded the stock MRFs on my Ikon 1.3 (13 inchers) to Yoko A Drives as they touched the 60k mark. The MRFs still had life in them, but since i used to do a lot of highway driving with my Ikon, i went ahead with the new tyres.

My experiences with the Yokos are documented in my ownership thread.

Ikon

You could peruse this at your convenience, as it has information about my entire ownership experience with the Ikon.
Old 26th September 2011, 17:06   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorguy View Post
Congrats on your purchase !
However, I have had a couple of problems. ...

The other thing is careful about service - ...
Good luck and enjoy the beauty !
Thanks for the wishes and the words of caution. Right now I am not thinking of approaching a Ford service centre for the maintenance of my car. So no worries on that front. I order all my parts from a trusted seller with whom I have so far had no complaints, and I am sure he can better any Ford price list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
The MRFs are tough, and will serve you a long time without complaints. However, they dont do too well in the grips department. ...
Thanks, I am going through the thread now. I shall think of putting the MRFs onto the Santro then, where I don't require oodles of grip, because it will be driven sedately. For the Ikon, I am inching towards Michelins.

An update: Got the injectors cleaned today at a shop near my office location. The mech there informed me three of the four injectors were jammed (clogged?), and they all have been cleaned now. I am now waiting for them to go back into the car so I can actually see the difference for myself. Paid Rs. 400/-, so it worked out to Rs. 100/- per nozzle.

The shop is located at Majiwada service road, Thane. Please PM me in case anyone wants to avail of their services. They specialize in diesel fuel pumps (Bosch make) and petrol fuel injectors. It's a small setup, about 10' x 10' in size and about four people manning it.
Old 28th September 2011, 14:55   #64
Senior - BHPian

Update: Last update was gone as there was some corruption in the post before that, and so the posts were deleted.

Update on the car: Injectors were fitted back into the car yesterday. The shocks have arrived, but the kits haven't. Expected ETA was last night, so hopefully they have gone into the car today. I have left my mobi at home so no way of contacting the mechanic to find out how it's going.

:(
Old 2nd October 2011, 13:44   #65
Senior - BHPian

Finally the work is over. The strut kits arrived yesterday, the struts were mounted onto the car by late evening and the car was ready.

Today morning visited a factory which makes exhaust pieces and got the middle section (with the rusted can) replaced.

Bought a windshield cleaning liquid bottle and new wiper blades and put them onto the car.

All that now remains is a good full body wash.

Total damages expected to be to the tune of 15k, will post pics and final breakup later.
Old 3rd October 2011, 13:47   #66
Senior - BHPian

I have a problem: During the fitting of the front struts, we observed that the top of the strut didn't fit flush with the chassis, i.e. the engine bay. I have attached pics of the engine bay and the top of the strut here to illustrate the point.

Now the question is, is this normal? While at the garage we also checked out another Ikon and the strut tops displayed a similar gap to the chassis. So what's the deal?

Update: Am unable to upload the pics right now. The gap is as thick as a finger (thumb if you want). This gap existed on the original shock absorbers, it also exists on another Ikon we saw, and it exists now after the new shocks have been put onto the car.

I was able to upload one image, hopefully it shows the gap between the strut top and the mounting point in the engine bay clearly.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Ikon 1.6 ZXi Petrol-imag0139.jpg  

Last edited by honeybee : 3rd October 2011 at 14:15.
Old 14th October 2011, 19:32   #67
Senior - BHPian

Refilled the tank yesterday, filled in a little more than the cutoff. Average works out to a little more than 10kmpl. This has been mainly with AC driving. Am planning to alternate between the cars and see how the Ikon now fares in longer distance commutes. I want it to reach at least 12kmpl.

The windshield has been scratched so much it either needs a polish or a replacement. Any idea how much it would cost?
Old 14th October 2011, 19:39   #68
BHPian

Quote:
I have a problem: During the fitting of the front struts, we observed that the top of the strut didn't fit flush with the chassis, i.e. the engine bay. I have attached pics of the engine bay and the top of the strut here to illustrate the point.

Now the question is, is this normal? While at the garage we also checked out another Ikon and the strut tops displayed a similar gap to the chassis. So what's the deal?

Update: Am unable to upload the pics right now. The gap is as thick as a finger (thumb if you want). This gap existed on the original shock absorbers, it also exists on another Ikon we saw, and it exists now after the new shocks have been put onto the car.

I was able to upload one image, hopefully it shows the gap between the strut top and the mounting point in the engine bay clearly.
That's abnormal, just checked my ikon and there is no gap between the chassis and the strut tops. certainly not enough to slide a finger in. You sure you got the OEM shocks?

In the city you'll get 10-12 kmpl depending on the traffic with 100% AC, on the highways it will be between 14-15 kmpl. I once got 17 but that was with sedate driving and no AC (in winters).

Last edited by Astleviz : 14th October 2011 at 19:43.
Old 14th October 2011, 19:49   #69
Senior - BHPian

They aren't exactly OEM, they are Monroe gas-charged shocks. When compared with the original shocks taken off the car, I noticed that the threads at the top (where the shock would be inserted through the chassis into the engine bay) on the Monroes are a little longer than the stock ones. The Monroe shocks had at least three threads more than the stock.

Just out of curiosity I ran a search "Ford Ikon Engine Bay" on Google Images. Following are some interesting results:

http://www.google.co.in/imgres?q=for...36&tx=73&ty=84

http://www.google.co.in/imgres?q=for...9otD-Aw&zoom=1

Both images are from TBHP and in both images, the gap between the chassis and the mounting kit can be observed by naked eye.
Old 14th October 2011, 21:23   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ How about this: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2412713
Old 14th October 2011, 23:21   #71
Senior - BHPian

This is off-topic, but kindly help: i got an offer on an 52k km run, 2004 ikon 1.6 Sxi nxt for 1,75,000 rupees. Can i go for it or bargain for more? This is a single owner car and since my running is not high, am contemplating a buy.
Old 14th October 2011, 23:26   #72
BHPian

Quote:

I have the same model 1.6 2000 year model as well. I do most of the repairs myself. The picture of your struts are perfectly normal.
Old 15th October 2011, 16:29   #73
Senior - BHPian

Catalyst, if indeed there is nothing to worry, I am relieved.

Dhanushs, your tutorial thread is simply great. I am going to browse through it soon.

ramzsys, please post this query in the used car price check thread along with as much info about the car as you can post, so you can get a better response there.
Old 16th October 2011, 10:22   #74
Senior - BHPian

Checked with Windshield Experts for the Ford Ikon windshield, the quote is Rs. 6400/- Since the glass is scratched and not broken, no insurance claim and they don't do glass polishing. Am waiting for my mech to let me know the quote from one of his contacts for the same job. Will see which one works out the best.
Old 17th October 2011, 10:18   #75
Senior - BHPian

The local quote was 4800/- for the original Ford windshield, so last evening paid a visit to the garage and got the windshield replaced. The instructions were not to wash it for at least a day, so tonight when driving back I shall see how much of a difference it really makes.

Have also ordered clear lens headlights, the RH one was readily available, but the LH one will arrive today, most likely. Am thinking of replacing them myself, so will post the experience here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks